Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dz99

Kandi Tut #1

61 posts in this topic

There are different variations of kandi cuffs, but in this tutorial we'll be making a flat top/bottom one that looks like this:

DSCN0771.jpg

The first thing you may find yourself asking when you start is "how big (or how many beads) should my cuff be? You don't want it too tight, but also not so loose that it slips off your wrist. When choosing a size and color scheme for your first piece, I recommend using 30 beads for a normal sized wrist, 27 for a pretty small wrist, or 33 for a larger wrist. We are going in multiples of 3 because of the color scheme. *NOTE*: you're going to want to keep the string pulled taught while making the piece, just make sure it isn't "too" tight.. you'll get the hang of it after making a piece or 2 ;)

Cut a *long* piece of string, enough to easily make it around your wrist 4 times without being tight. Begin stringing 2 DARK GREEN-1 LIGHT GREEN-2 DARK GREEN-1 LIGHT GREEN until you have a single piece of kandi 30 beads long.. now instead of tying it off in the middle of your long piece of string, move the beads down to one end.

DSCN0753.jpg

Cut off the small piece of string from where you tied off your single, and you should have a long piece of string angled coming out of one of the LIGHT GREEN beads like this:

DSCN0754.jpg

Here comes the "tough" part.. you're going to begin threading your next row of the cuff through the LIGHT GREEN beads on your single. Between each thread, the pattern is going to be PINK-WHITE-PINK.

DSCN0755.jpg

DSCN0756.jpg

DSCN0758.jpg

Keep threading like this all the way around, until you get back to where your first set of PINK-WHITE-PINK is:

DSCN0759.jpg

Thread it through the LIGHT GREEN bead like you normally would.. but once it's through, put it through the PINK-WHITE part of the first PINK-WHITE-PINK set as so:

DSCN0761.jpg

DSCN0762.jpg

Your long piece of string should now be coming out of the first WHITE bead you strung onto the cuff.

DSCN0763.jpg

Now we're going to start the next row, but this time the color pattern is PINK-LIGHT GREEN-PINK and is being threaded through the WHITE beads from the row we just finished.

DSCN0764.jpg

DSCN0765.jpg

As we near the end of this row on the cuff, it should start "standing up" or appear to start taking form. Until this point, don't worry about if your cuff looks 2-D and lifeless :).. once you near the end of the piece it will start taking shape like this:

DSCN0766.jpg

Remember to make sure the string is taught, but not **too** tight ^_^

When we near the end of the PINK-LIGHT GREEN-PINK row, use the same method as before and thread through the WHITE bead you normally would, then "up the triangle" so to speak by putting it through the first PINK-LIGHT GREEN from the row like this:

DSCN0767.jpg

The long piece of string should now be coming out of the LIGHT GREEN bead on the top row like so:

DSCN0768.jpg

Now for the final row!

String 2 DARK GREEN and thread through the LIGHT GREEN beads all the way around:

DSCN0769.jpg

DSCN0770.jpg

Unfortunately there is no "exact" way to tie off a cuff, but hopefully by the end of the piece you've gotten the hang of threading and can figure out the best way to tie off your new cuff :)

DSCN0774.jpg

Here are just a few examples of different color schemes for this variation of cuffs:

DSCN0776.jpg

More tut’s to come soon! Any questions/comments are more than welcome! Good luck and have fun :D

I am very pleased with this. :D

Will definitely have to try this out. Will post pics of my outcome. :P

pretty tight. I just found some wooden beads today when i was cleaning. Maybe i'll slap something together.

RGS-1.JPG

how big is a large wrist? my wrist is about 7.5 inches (19 cms). does this clasify as a large wrist?, or is this just normal

you could manage with 30, just don't pull it super tight. best way i can think for you is to pull it tight with you hands or whatever, but as you're making it don't stretch the piece out to tie it tighter. you should easily be good with 30 then.

Whoa thats really awesome. I'm gonna make one of those as soon as I go on another bead run this weekend.

sounds good. i found a load of pony beads in my basement of every color imaginable.

i suppose if it is small i can give it to someone with smaller wrists than myself.

sounds good. i found a load of pony beads in my basement of every color imaginable.

i suppose if it is small i can give it to someone with smaller wrists than myself.

You should be fine with the 30 bead length, it's meant to fit snug enough to not slip off your wrist but isn't near as tight as most single kandi's people trade at events.

Making a bunch with different colors/patterns is the fun part! Share the love, make some for certain people and make it unique to them :)

ill try this on sat, odds are ill fail but eh :)

It's really not that bad :) the first one you make is the only tough one, promise! After every piece you finish it gets easier, my first one took an hour or two but now I can make these in about 10-15 minutes if I have the color scheme/pattern already planned out :D

cuffs were a bitch for me >.< my brain couldn't comprehend it!!! everything else came easy, but cuffs just never liked me in the begining :P

Really good tut :] Dont know if Im gonna make one, but definitely am tempted ;]

Having Step-by-step instructions WITH pictures for each step is very helpful. Lighting was good and the view of what you were doing at that moment was very clear.

A+ :P

cuffs were a bitch for me >.< my brain couldn't comprehend it!!! everything else came easy, but cuffs just never liked me in the begining :P

i got lucky in the gene pool when it comes to this sorta stuff =] im awesome at figuring out how stuff is put together... now swinging glowsticks on strings... thats a different story >< i can figure out how people do it, but i cant immitate haha

yay for the picture tutorial btw! =] do you plan on making any video tuts? i made one on scrunchie kandi yesterday =] i dont wanna post it just yet tho.. its on youtube already =] it was my first video so its not very... good.. haha..

::edit::

only thing i hate tho, on GSC threads you can only post 10 pictures at a time... so no super complex tutorials allowed... =(

Lots of love for the kandi! Haven't made any in a couple years but now I think I'm gonna have to go try this one out.

im awesome at figuring out how stuff is put together...

yea, i'm a logistics sorta person. i'm terrible at creating new designs and stuff for kandi, which is why i haven't made any "epic" kandi :P

Really good tut :] Dont know if Im gonna make one, but definitely am tempted ;]

Having Step-by-step instructions WITH pictures for each step is very helpful. Lighting was good and the view of what you were doing at that moment was very clear.

A+ :P

Why thanks :D I tried taking the pictures so people reading would be able to tell what I was doing even if my wording sucked xD

yay for the picture tutorial btw! =] do you plan on making any video tuts? i made one on scrunchie kandi yesterday =] i dont wanna post it just yet tho.. its on youtube already =] it was my first video so its not very... good.. haha..

::edit::

only thing i hate tho, on GSC threads you can only post 10 pictures at a time... so no super complex tutorials allowed... =(

Unfortunately I don't have a video camera.. but i'm working on it! Moreso for taping strings than kandi tuts though, I think I'll probably make all of these the same with step-by-step with pics :)

I really like the scrunchie idea!! I've recently been thinking of trying to make a belt with pretty much the same general concept as this cuff, just bigger... maybe someday xD

Ya I noticed the thing about 10 pics per post.. I had to wait a few minutes after my first post to post the rest of the tut.. shouldn't be too big of a problem though, the ones with a lot of pics can just be a couple posts in the beginning of the tut threads :)

very nicely done.

If i am correct, if you want to make it larger, you increase the number of beads in 4's.

Its not the top or the bottom of the cuff that will be snug, it will be in the center of the peice.

If your curious on what you can do with cuffs, If you can recall back to the large arm peice that FloraSunshine for ChewySkulls, the actual arm part was made by the cuff pattern.

Making kandi tut videos isnt really easy, so I may just build a simple pictorial to get started and then take videos to break things down

Why thanks :D I tried taking the pictures so people reading would be able to tell what I was doing even if my wording sucked xD

Unfortunately I don't have a video camera.. but i'm working on it! Moreso for taping strings than kandi tuts though, I think I'll probably make all of these the same with step-by-step with pics :)

I really like the scrunchie idea!! I've recently been thinking of trying to make a belt with pretty much the same general concept as this cuff, just bigger... maybe someday xD

Ya I noticed the thing about 10 pics per post.. I had to wait a few minutes after my first post to post the rest of the tut.. shouldn't be too big of a problem though, the ones with a lot of pics can just be a couple posts in the beginning of the tut threads :)

scrunchie not like hair tie.. its a bracelet like any other, just different... lol ummm ill probably pair some pictures with my tutorial later to help it out.. ive made a belt for my friend duckiee =] it was pink and green

Excellent picture tutorial! This is exactly the kind of thing I would love to see featured in the craft forum!

The cuff is BEAUTIFUL! Great Job!

heyhey im going to make a ribbon kandi tutorial and use your tutorial for the base =] ill link to this tutorial k?

ive made a belt for my friend duckiee =] it was pink and green

haha that's awesome :)! Do you happen to remember about how many beads around it was? I think the only thing keeping me from trying to make one is if it ends up so loose it falls off or too small to fit... that'd suck to spend hours on it and then fail xD

heyhey im going to make a ribbon kandi tutorial and use your tutorial for the base =] ill link to this tutorial k?

I'd love to see more tutorials! I was thinking about putting up my other cuff variation today, maybe multi's... however I think there should be seperate threads for different tuts simply so it's easier to find what people are looking for if they aren't closely following these kandi threads :)