Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xDJxSAPHYREx

"Bedroom Glowstickers"

173 posts in this topic

ok im new to the whole glowsticking idea/culture. i just picked up my first pair of sticks like about 6 months ago and last week i started stringing and im moving along prety quickly i must say. all im asking is exactly what is the culture im getting myswelf into about?

ok im new to the whole glowsticking idea/culture. i just picked up my first pair of sticks like about 6 months ago and last week i started stringing and im moving along prety quickly i must say. all im asking is exactly what is the culture im getting myswelf into about?

basically you're using the strings to express yourself through light/music/dance.. spread the ways of PLUR (peace, love, unity, respect) this topic is about ppl who just do it alone instead of sharin the love w/ other ppl in a group.. it is ok if your among other glowstickers or ravers of all kinds and share your art.. but its not ok just to go out to show off your new found skill because it gives the wrong idea about all of us.. i personally find it ok to practice by yourself... but its always better to make friends and share glowsticking

I guess I'll share my deal. I've never been to a rave, or even a party. And before you ask, I'm not even a shy guy. (kee kee, shy guy) The main problem is parents. Yeah, they're crazy overprotective. I almost got grounded tonight, because I was 4 minutes late to their curfew, God forbid.

I've loved EDM since I was 6, and glowstringing appealed to me, because I could finally give back to my music.

When DJ Saphyre was talking about the phone numbers, the van, all the things that make getting to raves fun, I smiled. I've always wanted to rave, ever since I was a kid. And with the problems of parents and stuff, I realize that when I hit Georgia Tech next year, I'll finally be able to do what I want. So now, the problem is finding people.

The thing I notice is this: I'm almost all by myself in Georgia here at GSC. I was able to find (with much trouble) only 2 other kids in my school who actually listen to EDM. One of them actually touched a glowstick before. Our region has a forum/site, sure. EDMPlanet.com was a nice way for me to realize how mean my community is. They weren't accepting like you guys are here. I remember the 2nd time I posted on there, I was called a troll and temp banned. All I did was comment about a video. It wasn't even a bad comment either. I think it was my age.

So, I want to rave SO BADLY, but I can't. I love the culture, I respect the culture, and I live the culture. But I can't rave. When college hits, I'll need to somehow find either GSC people or someone who can go with me. I know it's funny, but it seems like this entire board is from CA. :-P I don't even know where to start when looking for one. But I know the music and culture like the back of my hand. Does this make it wrong for me to stick?

start small, grow your region. use anything at your disposal. facebook. myspace. whatever you have. get the word out. start step by step.

Dood, I'm the leetest. I'm SO good that if you saw me your eyeballs would bleed and you'd never be able to appreciate watching someone glowstick ever again. That's the REAL reason why noone will ever see me stick.

haha thats dope! if your the same bitsmart from old gsc iv seen your video. i think it was liquid and some freehanding.

I think the reason why people were getting worked up is b/c there are some who don't think a person should be considered "a true glowsticker" if they only glowstick in their rooms/home. They believe that one MUST have glowsticked at a club/event atleast once in their life in order to be "officially recognized" by the community.

Obviously therein lays a problem, considering how many people glowstick eather within the confines of their own home or who have never gone to an event/club but who strive to progress the art. Really, it's more of a difference of opinion, with each side having it's own arguments, and once which I have a feeling isn't going to die so easily as this thread did for a bit as there will still be those who learned how to glowstick in the rave atmosphere this culture originated from and those who learned from browsing the net or from a friend but who they themselfs have never attended an event.

this topic is retarded.

if you glowstick in your home, at a party, at a rave, anywhere then your a glowsticker/stringer.

simple as that. it does not matter at all if you have been to a rave. i think this topic comes up because it might be a way for someone that has been to a rave to brag about it and feel special. i have no clue why but iv seen people who after their first rave start bashin people who havent been (this was on gsc back in the day).

I both agree and disagree with you. I agree because why be a bedroom glowsticker if you have the chance to be with others who like doing the same thing as you, thats the point of getting out there and meeting up with other glowstickers doing what you love to do most, and to learn from other glowstickers. But I also have to disagree a little bit, because some of these bedroom glowstickers are really shy about their glowsticking skills, and fear that they will be embarrassedd around others, or

they might like the art glowsticking and don't like to be in large crowds or in different places.

im still a bedroom/house glowsticker...only time i ever do it outside the house is if i have someone wtih me so im not bored as hell. but im going to the texas sunrise meetup in march so i guess ill level up. lol

A good, simple compromise for a bedroom sticker is if you are too young to attend raves and you wish to respect your parents wishes until you get older. You can still love glowsticking as long as you make the effort to one day break free from your house to dance out in the world when you are older.

Let me add. This is a madeup controversy. No such large segment of people who COULD go but won't go exist. If people can't go, they usually have a damn good reason that may not be relevant to the rich. For example. Money. Or parents who don't give money. I know some rich kids whose parents don't give them crap for allowance because their parents don't want their kids to be wasteful and buying expensive clothes or chasing dreams by buying technicsv1200. in short, raving is VERY expensive. it will cost an average of 40-50 bucks a night WITHOUT drugs factored in, if you consider the cost of food, water, gas, parking, etc.

there's always free renegades/fullmoonparties in most major cities

anyways, you can't ignore the context in which glowsticking came about, namely raves.

i don't see this thread as being elitist as some people have, i think the poster meant bedroom glowstickers are missing out on the full culture behind the art, that there is more to it than only doing it in your room and attending gsc meetups

A good, simple compromise for a bedroom sticker is if you are too young to attend raves and you wish to respect your parents wishes until you get older. You can still love glowsticking as long as you make the effort to one day break free from your house to dance out in the world when you are older.

thats what i feel in a nutshell.

Lansing MI has no rave. All I have is a pen with LEDs in it (just like an LED stick, only it *cough* used to have ink in it), and a cheap photon thing I got from a box of fruit loops.

Trust me, if there was a real rave I would go, but for now I'll just practice my freehanding/conjuring hybrid in my bedroom.

ok this pertains to the majority of voiced opinions here, i consider a glowsticker to be anyone who has picked up a pair of sticks and has enjoyed dancing with them or just playing around. with that said it doesn't matter where you decide to enjoy dancing and life itself through glowsticking as long as it doesn't endanger the art. i think the points made about the money, parents, underage people, shyness, danger factor are all true and all plays major roles, just because something was created in a certain atmosphere doesn't mean everyone has to enjoy it the same way. the way that glowsticking comes across to me is that we enjoy manipulating light and a dance form and however you decided to do it is ok, and you don't even have to dance to enjoy it. the term "bedroom glowsticker" in my mind doesn't mean anything, a glowstickers location has nothing to do with their means behind the art as long as they are trying to continue the art and not destroy it. glowsticking is really what you make of it, i think that gsc does a great job of building the culture and the people toward something greater for everyone. i know myself had it not been for gs.c i wouldn't have continued to string for as long as i have and i want to thank everyone on the site for that.

"bedroom glowsticker" demeans a person in all forms of the word in my opinion. I agree that it is not a term at all, just made up to point fingers at people and to make them feel small and insignifigant for the people that made up the term. So for an answer to this i am a GLOWSTICKER PERIOD!!!! thats what i want everyone to understand and view me as and as i view everyone on this site, end of story, no derogatory nicknames needed or wanted, if you used that energy to start coming up with new concepts instead of pointing fingers and naming names then the site would be that much better and we wouldn't be wasting time "spinning our wheels" so to speak. Also guys concentrate on worrying about yourself, and this is cliche' but don't ask what gs.c can do for you but seriously ask what you can do for gs.c. let dave and the mods worry about what everyone is doing but please try to contribute to the site in some way, if you see something out of line then let the team know, a resolution will be reached. I hope this helped some people out, let me know what you all think, i enjoyed reading everyone's previous responses

Not disrespectful but its like depriving urself.. when i signed up to this forum i actually expected everyone to be a huge clubhead/raver and i found out a lot of u just hobby it like a videogame, when u should rlly go out and have some fun with it, tehres prolly something like a rave in NYC but i rlly doubt common raves even exist around here, if nightclubs count then im not a bedroom raver, never been to a rave and may never unless i go to cali or europe wen im older. The only way i could imagine someone "disrespecting" glowsticking is by exploiting it and showing it off outside of clubs/raves so that the media can do what they do best.

do you check out the east coast forum? I'm pretty sure you can find plenty of raves on the east coast.

Not disrespectful but its like depriving urself.. when i signed up to this forum i actually expected everyone to be a huge clubhead/raver and i found out a lot of u just hobby it like a videogame, when u should rlly go out and have some fun with it, tehres prolly something like a rave in NYC but i rlly doubt common raves even exist around here, if nightclubs count then im not a bedroom raver, never been to a rave and may never unless i go to cali or europe wen im older. The only way i could imagine someone "disrespecting" glowsticking is by exploiting it and showing it off outside of clubs/raves so that the media can do what they do best.

Yeah, you should definitely hit up the EC forums, bro. a lot has been going on as of late, so if you can and if you want try to make at least some of the events that're being planned over on the EC, get more involved with your fellow EC members. Welcome!

Here is a controversial topic that myself, nmestar99, and many others have talked about for quite a while. There are those who agree with us, and those who disagree, saying Glowsticking.com is a glowsticking site, not a rave site. This topic is here to clear up some confusion, have questions answered, and above all RESPECTFULY sharing opinions.

First and foremost, I want to say it is perfectly understandable when someone can't go to parties because they live in an area that just doesnt have raves or an electronic music dance scene.

Overprotective parents that wont let their 13-17 year old children out to 'dangerous abandoned warehouses filled with drug crazed lunatics' or are afraid to let their kids meet people on the internet that 'could be lying about their age because they are pedophile stalkers' are also an understandable situation.

What really troubles people like me are the "bedroom glowstickers": people who glowstick all the time yet they just never feel like going to raves, meetups, or even practice sessions with a fellow glowsticker that lives just 15 minutes away. There are also the type of people that will go to meetups but never raves or even legally permitted massives, which is also kinda confusing.

GS.C embraces the idea of COMMUNITY...getting out there, meeting awesome people, and sharing the love for the art & danceform we know as glowsticking, which originated from the Rave Culture and its ideals of Peace, Love, Unity, and Respect.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that in my opinion, I believe every glowsticker should make the effort to make it to at least one Underground rave in their lifetime. Massives like EDC and meetups in the city or in someone's backyard are wonderful & fun too........but there is just something about calling the infoline on the back of a flyer, getting a password from a guy in a blue poncho, and riding a white van to an abandoned biscuit factory in a ghetto area that just makes you think to yourself, "I'm going to a REAL rave. I'm going where the art of glowsticking that I love so much truly came from." The first time I went to a crazy illegal party like that, I wasn't scared......in all honesty I felt more 'cultured' and felt great that I payed homage to the rave scene from where glowsticking originated & has its roots from.

When I see a 'bedroom glowsticker' it just makes me a bit bitter, and feel like they are being disrespectful because all they do is sit in their room instead of getting out more and experiencing what the culture is all about.

I would really like to hear other people's thoughts on this topic; feel free to agree or disagree with anything I have to say, add more, expand on ideas, or even bring up something new. Its nice to hear opinions from all sides: ravers, glowstickers, and even those guilty of being 'bedroom glowstickers' themselves.

All I ask is that we keep this thread drama-free, respectful, and open-minded to other's viewpoints and opinions to this somewhat controversial topic. PLUR

I'm a raver, and a stringer, and I don't see why you would care about people that glowstick and dont go to raves. maybe its just a cool hobby for them. kind of like yo-yoing or martial arts. most people who glowstick know that it came from rave culture and thats respect enough if you ask me.

I read everything (took 2 days bc I have ADD), but just want to say that yes I just stick and dance usually amongst friends and don't go to raves or anything. BUT, you tell me where I can find these so called "raves" in the Cleveland area and I'll be happy to go! Not to mention I'd be happy to have a meet up as long as it doesn't include me driving to freaking SoCal or Texas...I can no get a meet up started around this area to save the life of me so I'm stuck driving 4 hours to southern Ohio/Indiana or to New York because no body really wants to come here...even if I offer to host and lay up everyone at my place...sorry you don't have the problem of ACTUALLY finding places to go but some of us do!

Overprotective parents that wont let their 13-17 year old children out to 'dangerous abandoned warehouses filled with drug crazed lunatics' or are afraid to let their kids meet people on the internet that 'could be lying about their age because they are pedophile stalkers' are also an understandable situation.[/b]

Yeah, that's my parents. I'm a good 16 year old kid who just loves to dance and listen to awesome music at raves, and they still wouldn't let me go to a rave, even though I have by just calling them "electronic music festivals or concerts"...

The bedroom ravers are the icubation of the next generation, things will change, for the always have, the best thing for a bedroom raver is to be is on GS.c, a digital community untill they hit collage...

PLURR

air139 i think hit it right on the nose. i am guilty of being a bedroom stringer... but i know this phase will pass. i cant speak for the majority. but w\e. i can understand the point of this thread. but there is no way this cud escalate to disrespect. if neone takes offense to the way we bedroomies bedroom it up thats upon themselves, cant change the world now can we. as of yet ive been to one meetup, and i WILL go to a rave. jus exactly wen im not too sure...

i've been to countless raves...during my active days i use to go every weekend...from sf to eastbay...

but i really dont think being a bedroom glowsticker is disrespectful to the rave/gsc culture.

honestly...if whenever or whever you are glowsticking embarasses you then it is most likely disrespectful to rave/gsc culture...but then again that is reall subjective.

i mean back then i use to do it at raves, my bedroom, class rooms, hallways, public places...what does it matter? i think as long as you love it for what it is and respect it as an art...and not doing it as a pathetic attempt to get girls or money...then it should be just fine.

i mean back then i use to do it at raves, my bedroom, class rooms, hallways, public places...what does it matter? i think as long as you love it for what it is and respect it as an art...and not doing it as a pathetic attempt to get girls or money...then it should be just fine.

love and respect for glowsticking is definitely what we strive for all the time

but especially for high school glowstickers, like myself, we gotta keep it out of school, like class rooms and such :dope

dude im in college buddy...honestly in my high school no one gave a shit. and now that i look back at it i felt like such a little teeny bopper...so yeah may be it was a bad thing to do. but hey that was straight love of glowsticking...but how do u justify hundreds of schools that have "asian clubs" throwing "lightshows"? you cant stop that...

and if gs.c strives for love and respect of glowsticking...then why did i hear from a source that wont be named that gsc was going to sue a group of glowstickers in san francisco for throwing an ultracircle?

but main point here is: why is it disrespectful if you do it in your bedroom?

you got to get better..and the only way to master something is to keep at it right?

and since "we gotta keep it out of school, like class rooms and such" where else can we practice but the comfort of our room? or house? if you practice at a rave...just go on and make a fool out of yourself...even though e-tards are soooo floored they'll still think ur freakin awesome

one thing i can relate about not being able to go to raves is that sometimes ppl are just too damn busy. i was gonna go to one with a buddy of mine last thursday, but i needed more hours at work bad and thursday was the only free day to do it so i just had to miss out. it definately sucked but still, not all people, bedroom glowstickers or not get that sudden freedom some ppl talk about when you turn 18. school, work, and other junk start jumping in your way pretty quick if you are serious about getting stuff done in life. i got a friend over 18 who goes to tons of raves, but then again hes usually broke and has no car and lives at home. so how often is that worth it?

btw: i dont mean ALL ppl who can go to rves all the time are like that, i just mean it sometimes comes at a good amount of sacrifice to be able to do things you enjoy in life.

dude im in college buddy...honestly in my high school no one gave a shit. and now that i look back at it i felt like such a little teeny bopper...so yeah may be it was a bad thing to do. but hey that was straight love of glowsticking...but how do u justify hundreds of schools that have "asian clubs" throwing "lightshows"? you cant stop that...

and if gs.c strives for love and respect of glowsticking...then why did i hear from a source that wont be named that gsc was going to sue a group of glowstickers in san francisco for throwing an ultracircle?

but main point here is: why is it disrespectful if you do it in your bedroom?

you got to get better..and the only way to master something is to keep at it right?

and since "we gotta keep it out of school, like class rooms and such" where else can we practice but the comfort of our room? or house? if you practice at a rave...just go on and make a fool out of yourself...even though e-tards are soooo floored they'll still think ur freakin awesome

Actually, the person who posted this thread was or is banned now... We are all saying that you SHOULD be practicing at home and that if you never go to a rave, that's okay. We ARE saying keep it out of Highschool, because that dilutes the culture, leads to battling, and etc. etc. (the nice long argument is up in the articles... let me grab it for you.)

http://www.glowsticking.com/nu/index.php?itemid=95&catid=4

You're not making a fool out of yourself by stringing at raves. That's ridiculous. I practice all the time at raves, as I consider stringing in front of people to be great practice.

Meh, I'll let someone else finish what I've started, I have to get ready for church.