Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stchuckraver3126

Glowsticking in school?

228 posts in this topic

I string at school , but at recess and lunch and with 1 or 2 of my mates in an empty, spacey room.

School is the one of the main places we get a chance to hang out and help eachother learn to string, and I dont get much time at home with homework and work etc.

I string at school , but at recess and lunch and with 1 or 2 of my mates in an empty, spacey room.

School is the one of the main places we get a chance to hang out and help eachother learn to string, and I dont get much time at home with homework and work etc.

I'd actually suggest that you use that time you currently use at school to string to do your homework and save the practice for home. School is not an ideal place to be practicing for many reasons. A lot of people (especially in high school) may be given the wrong idea if they see it. Just like if you were to wear a black trench coat and listen to Marilyn Manson, you will get labeled regardless of what you actually do.

Why not pick a Saturday afternoon or something to have a weekly session for a couple hours and practice then? School is almost out so having a few extra hours to practice shouldn't be a real problem.

I think that I may have gone to the most awesome high school ever now that I've completely read every post in this thread.

So. Glowsticking in high school = no-no.

I concur on that. However, gym class, between regular classes and rehearsals, and sometimes after rehearsals is where I learned about PLUR, glowsticking, stringing, and all that jazz. Rave culture just happened to be a fairly huge scene at my second high school the first year I was there. It has since died and been taken over by emo kids and punk wanna-be rockstars. (Damn High School Musical and MTV)

The whole spread the culture, not just the pretty lights thing. I get it. I went to a performance art's high school. Basically, the student population consisted of hardcore artists. We would continue to do less traditional means of art for fun and ways to escape W. A. Mozart and B. Fosse. Generally once or twice a week, we'd bring a few supplies when we'd have super long days from 7am until 10pm, usually Fridays, and teach each other stuff or make kandi or something. No one was amazing. But our beliefs really spread through the school. Up until sometime after I graduated, there hadn't been a single fight amongst students, faculty, or staff ever since the school opened in the 80's. I graduated in '04. That's a good long while.

I'm assuming that this case is one of a million and it really shaped who I am today. From hearing about other high schools and knowing my first high school, I'd have to say glowsticking in school is not the greatest ideas. Mostly for your own protection and mental security not to mention the dedication to the art form. Most performance arts are practiced where they are taught. Ballet generally isn't done at lunch in a cafeteria for a reason (it's dangerous and people will make fun of you). You go to a studio and learn. Glowsticking is done wherever meet-ups are held (we choose parks, the beach, courtyards with electrical outlets, and parking lots) and at raves and clubs. You can practice technique else where i.e. at home, in the park, wherever. But you won't get the full experience of the entire culture until you get to it with more experienced glowstickers.

Also note, that by using your school time to glowstick, you're taking away from your free time after school. Do homework in school, play with glowsticks after school. Then you get more time and better lighting and access to more experienced people who could potentially show you better technique in person which is infinitely better than learning from a video on the internet (no offense to video tutorials, but RL people are easier and you can ask them questions and such).

Also note, that by using your school time to glowstick, you're taking away from your free time after school. Do homework in school, play with glowsticks after school. Then you get more time and better lighting and access to more experienced people who could potentially show you better technique in person which is infinitely better than learning from a video on the internet (no offense to video tutorials, but RL people are easier and you can ask them questions and such).

Yeah your school was def an exception.

another exception is a boarding school where you don't go home. That is your home. In those types of situations it's up to you to control the exposure. Just because you don't go home doesn't give you an excuse to do it in the back of math.

Guest Anthony7xD
i think the problem here... is that when you join GS.C... theres a big article... which appearantly nobody reads anymore regarding battling, glowsticking in school, and the values of plur. it seems everyone picks up on the plur, maybe because its just so much fun to say, but it seems the beliefs on battling, and glowsticking in school, which are inheirant beliefs OF THIS SITE get overlooked time and time again. so, do what you want, but remember, the beliefs that this site was built around completely shun glowsticking in school. and i'm sure the creator of this site wouldnt really appreciate that...

ok you got a point, but at school alot of ppl glowstick,

its the same as this community , we share ideas and help each other out

i dont see the big deal either

ok you got a point, but at school alot of ppl glowstick,

its the same as this community , we share ideas and help each other out

i dont see the big deal either

It's not the same as this community. Just don't do it in school brosef ^_^:ice:

Def not the same thing...once again...if you have a group of kids that all wear black nail polish and dark clothes what impression do you get? Does that mean what you think of those people is true? Do you all drop tabs of e and drool on yourself while someone rubs your scalp? I'm sure that image may be tossed around.

Don't glowstick in school. Period.

Guest Anthony7xD
Def not the same thing...once again...if you have a group of kids that all wear black nail polish and dark clothes what impression do you get? Does that mean what you think of those people is true? Do you all drop tabs of e and drool on yourself while someone rubs your scalp? I'm sure that image may be tossed around.

Don't glowstick in school. Period.

yeah but everyone that strings here, come from all sorts of groups,

jocks, punks, fresas, and even the top ten percent kids,

we all share that one passion, plus its the same as if your glowsticking at the park , down the street, etc.

Not entirely. You can control who sees you in the park or down the street. Doing it in school gives a lot of people the wrong idea, and I'm sure that it is done for the wrong reasons.

Guest Anthony7xD
Not entirely. You can control who sees you in the park or down the street. Doing it in school gives a lot of people the wrong idea, and I'm sure that it is done for the wrong reasons.

not really, everyone here knows what everbody is or what everybody does,

we r not titled as ravers or druggies,

we r all normal,

dude the same at the park and stuff ppl who see you probably think bad most the time,,.....my point its the same thing

I doubt half the people you say "glowstick" will keep at it honestly, just for the love of the art. A lot of people get into it because it "looks cool," but how many of them actually care about where it came from, care about contributing to the culture, and helping those who are serious appreciate the art more?

I had to ask myself this question, and it ain't easy.

Guest Anthony7xD
I doubt half the people you say "glowstick" will keep at it honestly, just for the love of the art. A lot of people get into it because it "looks cool," but how many of them actually care about where it came from, care about contributing to the culture, and helping those who are serious appreciate the art more?

I had to ask myself this question, and it ain't easy.

cause we usually talk about the beliefs of this site,

or we help each other out, isnt it what gs.c does also?????

well ill drop it,

peace

This is the only time I will say this:

IF YOU HAVE THAT MUCH TIME AT SCHOOL TO GLOWSTICK, GO DO YOUR HOMEWORK INSTEAD.

Seriously. There's a time and place for everything. Save the glowsticking at home to prevent misunderstandings from teachers and other authority figures.

Do you know why some clubs or events don't allow sticks? That's because they're considered drug paraphernalia thanks to the stereotypical associations with it. We'd rather you not get into trouble because someone out there is too narrowminded, no matter how "open" some teachers are.

And those of you who say that you can't glowstick at home because you have to do homework. EASY: SAVE YOURSELF THE TIME AND DO YOUR HOMEWORK AT SCHOOL INSTEAD OF GLOWSTICKING.

Enough with the bull shit excuses of how people at your school are accepting and everyone does it. ENOUGH. This isn't just because we're trying to preserve our art, but because you guys are just wasting your time when you should be doing more school appropriate things.

And if anyone tries to talk about school clubs being involved with this and making glowsticking school appropriate then: wtf.

There are exceptions, but they are few and far between. But for the most part: go finish your homework.

I agree with all the ideals rules of this community and I admire all the people who took the time in making these rules or guidelines. I joined here because I wanted to learn how to glowstick and heard from it from my friend jason or cross. I have been here for alittle while but I do not practice my glowsticking much I do it here and there and I completely understand and agree that we should not glowstick in highschools because high schools are filled with things such as cliques and lots of stereotypes and all that and most kids in high school are young and will pick up things that seem like it would get them attention or under the spotlight for even five minutes because in high school many kids just try to make a name for themselves or become popular doing something. Even though I do not glowstick very much (i kind off practice freehanding) but I am here because of the community and I love talking to people here on gsc and will most likely be here for a very very long time. The reason I freehand is because its a way of expressing my emotions in a dance or art form and i cant draw or write very well. So when I feel down or just have an overwhelming flow of emotions I freehand with the little bit i know and it just releases all my emotions through my movement and through the music. I almost go into a trance when I do my little bit of freehanding that is why I do it in private I do not want people ruining this art or way of expressing emotions by just doing it because it looks cool. But yes love this community thanks to all who helped make this place awesome :D

Guest Anthony7xD
This is the only time I will say this:

IF YOU HAVE THAT MUCH TIME AT SCHOOL TO GLOWSTICK, GO DO YOUR HOMEWORK INSTEAD.

Seriously. There's a time and place for everything. Save the glowsticking at home to prevent misunderstandings from teachers and other authority figures.

Do you know why some clubs or events don't allow sticks? That's because they're considered drug paraphernalia thanks to the stereotypical associations with it. We'd rather you not get into trouble because someone out there is too narrowminded, no matter how "open" some teachers are.

And those of you who say that you can't glowstick at home because you have to do homework. EASY: SAVE YOURSELF THE TIME AND DO YOUR HOMEWORK AT SCHOOL INSTEAD OF GLOWSTICKING.

Enough with the bull shit excuses of how people at your school are accepting and everyone does it. ENOUGH. This isn't just because we're trying to preserve our art, but because you guys are just wasting your time when you should be doing more school appropriate things.

And if anyone tries to talk about school clubs being involved with this and making glowsticking school appropriate then: wtf.

There are exceptions, but they are few and far between. But for the most part: go finish your homework.

i get my work done with quick, i do what i got to do in school first,

cause we usually talk about the beliefs of this site,

or we help each other out, isnt it what gs.c does also?????

well ill drop it,

peace

You talk about the beliefs....and disregard the rules.

We have very few rules here. Yet you feel your in the right somehow for going and doing the opposite.

You didn't address my statement of doing it for the wrong reasons...

Why do you glowstick? (Pro Tip - We aren't looking for a text book answer)

I agree with all the ideals rules of this community and I admire all the people who took the time in making these rules or guidelines. I joined here because I wanted to learn how to glowstick and heard from it from my friend jason or cross. I have been here for alittle while but I do not practice my glowsticking much I do it here and there and I completely understand and agree that we should not glowstick in highschools because high schools are filled with things such as cliques and lots of stereotypes and all that and most kids in high school are young and will pick up things that seem like it would get them attention or under the spotlight for even five minutes because in high school many kids just try to make a name for themselves or become popular doing something. Even though I do not glowstick very much (i kind off practice freehanding) but I am here because of the community and I love talking to people here on gsc and will most likely be here for a very very long time. The reason I freehand is because its a way of expressing my emotions in a dance or art form and i cant draw or write very well. So when I feel down or just have an overwhelming flow of emotions I freehand with the little bit i know and it just releases all my emotions through my movement and through the music. I almost go into a trance when I do my little bit of freehanding that is why I do it in private I do not want people ruining this art or way of expressing emotions by just doing it because it looks cool. But yes love this community thanks to all who helped make this place awesome :D

THIS is what it's all about right here. Great post and thanks for speaking up!

i was actually thinking of getting a glowstringing club going and try and get to perform during school rallies that would be awesome. me and my friend steven started stringing at school during lunch time and it gets a good amount of attention and we even got more ppl into it so i think that if i start a club at school it will liven up the glowstringer community in my area! :)

djsolarflare, we do NOT support glowsticking in high school. Read the thread carefully, then please reply.

i agreee....i dont thnk its wrong...jss dnt let it go to yewr head...&teach the culturee behind itt...becss if not ppl need to realisee it nott jss a bunchh of glowsticks...buuut i doo thinkk thaa club thing iss a bit too muchh...

this is so stupid. who cares if someone glowsticks at school.

when did whipping little glowing chemical filled plastic tubes tied to shoestrings become such an elite cultural hobby.

the only reason I see someone not doing it in general public (including my own personal reason) is that I dont want people to look at me and think im some raving drug addict(which im not).

yes it is an art. yes it is a relaxing hobby. but to not want to spread it to the masses , because it would be "selling out" is the most retarded thing I have ever heard.

i wish there was a poi club at my school when i was younger.

dont be selfish. its just for fun.

...flame on!

this was said perfectly. definitely LOVE the use of the word selfish because that is exactly what it is. both to the person that you all are trying to prevent from starting the club, as well as the potential newcomers that would take up glowsticking after seeing the clubs existence. glowsticking is for everyone regardless of their motives. and just so everyone knows, i have read the culture and agree with it, most of it that is. with the exception of glowsticking in high school.

on a further note, and i realize there may be some repercussions for saying this but w/e. i think that half of the reason that most people are ridiculed for glowsticking is because everyone is so in the closet about it. and i think if we were more openly glowsticking it would actually serve to lessen the drug relation rather than further perpetuate the stereotype. i personally glowstick for the love of the art but just because someone wants to glowstick because it looks cool doesnt not mean that we have the right to say they cant or shouldnt.

on a further note, and i realize there may be some repercussions for saying this but w/e. i think that half of the reason that most people are ridiculed for glowsticking is because everyone is so in the closet about it. and i think if we were more openly glowsticking it would actually serve to lessen the drug relation rather than further perpetuate the stereotype. i personally glowstick for the love of the art but just because someone wants to glowstick because it looks cool doesnt not mean that we have the right to say they cant or shouldnt.

I suggest you read this WHOLE entire thread before saying something like this.

Glowsticking at high schools is just like b-boying or being in the "in" crowd. It makes you try to seek validation from your peers when in reality you're only killing your own image.

We're trying to protect you...?

It ceases to amaze me that people still post in this thread.

Okay. That is two times now I've seen you go against the culture. The first time people pointed you to the threads and everyone let it slide, but this time I'm going to explain to you why we are against it.

1. No matter what YOU do and say, the stigma of drugs and glowsticks will still exist.

2. Read ANY of the posts lately about high school kids getting ridiculed, picked on or BEATEN UP because of the maturity level of individuals. (Oh and your arguments that the kids in your school are more mature or aren't like that is not valid and guaranteed fail because your spelling, grammar and paragraph structure is already in the toilet)

3. Because it is Dave's site and he said no.

If you care to continue the conversation you can feel free to send me a personal message, because it would be better for you to converse with one of staff than with the whole community on the boards.