Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stchuckraver3126

Glowsticking in school?

228 posts in this topic

Wow. Ya learn somethin new everyday. I had no idea this place was so cultural. I mean, i see people chanting PLUR and such, but to think....you guys actually live up to it. Good job gs.c :dope

7 Pages late, zerizum? ;)

And to disagree, it's not all a part of PLUR, but rather a part of kids-will-do-it-to-be-cool-and-ignore-the-culture-whether-you-try-to-teach-them-or-not. Which, now that I think of it, would be part of PLUR, since you need to respect the culture and GS.C's values.. but then again, PLUR can be applied to anything in life.

It's cause kids don't like to read the articles PM'd to them when they first register. Hell, I didn't read them either. I learned about GS.C's policies by reading topics here, in "GS.C Culture".

lol yeah.. i was to lazy to read all of it..

Yeah, it's true that you shouldn't Glowstick to show-off. But then again u shouldn't really do ANYTHING just for the means of "Showing Off". Be it Glowsticking, Breakdancing, Singing, or whatever the case may be. Cause when u show off u come off as thinkin ur better than everyone and ur just doing it to be popular. If your gonna do something, then do it cause you love doing it. Not cause of what people will think of you.

But then again, who are we to judge this persons motives? We don't know why he's doing it. Therefore ya'll can't really jump on him and say "He's doing it just to show off" cause u don't know him.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with Glowsticking in school...as long as it's for the right reason. I mean if I hadn't seen my classmates Glowsticking in school then I NEVER would've known about Glowsticking. And since then it's become a part of me. And IDK where I'd be without it. So in a way, I have to thank those people I know that glowsticked in highscool, cause if it wasn't for them I guarantee I wouldn't be glowsticking right now.

Bottom line, don't show off. If ur gonna do it, do it cause u love to do it. And for future reference, don't post stuff up like this anymore, lol...

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with Glowsticking in school...as long as it's for the right reason.

There is no right reason if you've read the articles. You've been on gsc for awhile. You should have read them by now.

Yeah I've read the articles, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with them. Like I said before, if it wasn't for the fact that I saw someone Glowsticking in Highschool, then I NEVER would've known about Glowsticking. So, it's cause of them that I've been into it for years now.

Just don't encourage anyone to do it in school, they'll find out in college. There's a reason why this form of dance is underground.

Yeah I've read the articles, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with them. Like I said before, if it wasn't for the fact that I saw someone Glowsticking in Highschool, then I NEVER would've known about Glowsticking. So, it's cause of them that I've been into it for years now.

it's true that there are exceptions, but for the past 6 or 8 or however many years GSC has been running, high schoolers have usually been nothing but trouble, so to be safe, we have to establish these "rules." it's not completely fair to all high schoolers, but in general

glowsticking is an underground movement. underground means you find it, rather than it coming to you. seeing someone bump it in high school to sandstorm means the mainstream is coming to you. that's generally a direction we are shying away from.

once you've been to a rave and see how different it is from the rest of the mainstream, it'll be easier to understand why it has no place in the mainstream, unless it is to be adulterated and warped.

Considering the many number of times someone has prepped for a flame... I haven't really seen anyone go off too bad. Props to everyone for keeping their cool on the forums.

TBO I think you should just tag this kinda thing on the main part of the website. When you click to go to tutorials and not what have it have a link to the article on sticking in school. Might get people to read it sooner before they post something like this.

This topic took me a few hours to read lol. BUT. I stuck with it and read the whole thing. I found that as I read more though, I just wanted to keep reading to understand it more.

I have to agree that we should shy away from doing things like this in a school setting. I don't know how many fads I watched go through high school and even out of high school I watch fads come and go through society. It's a matter of being mature enough or not to be able to accept the cultures and the backgrounds that come with this art form.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen some random kids taking ultras into a random circle and breaking them and doing something just to be cool. I talked to a kid about that who did it at an anime convention this past year. He told me he did it because he thought it was cool. I tried exlaining some of the culture and ideals and he didn't care. As long as it looked cool.

It may seem harsh but protecting a culture is important. It can be misconstrued if approached wrong and then the entire thing can be ruined. It's exactly like stereotyping something. People may be about one thing and dress a certain way, but the way people look at them and what they think of them is completely different.

It's obvious that the people who are senior members and staff know what they are talking about. They have been there trying to recruit highschoolers and so they know the turn out. They aren't just telling you things to waste time. If you're here, you obviously wanna know about the culture or you know about the culture so why would you want to put that in jeopardy?

People will go to far lengths to protect something they care about. People here care about their culture and they're protecting it by keeping it away from people who don't care and would only use this art to look cool.

Isn't that how most fads get started anyways? You find something you think is fun. Something that is "cool". Then you share it with someone else. They share it with other people. Then it's like a viral outbreak and suddenly everyone is doing it and as soon as everyone is doing it, it's not cool anymore. When something like that happens, most of the values within it, are lost. Sometimes for good.

Keep it within meet ups and stuff of that sort. That way you know that the people there care about what's going on. They're at least trying to understand the culture unstead of trying to be cool in front of a bunch of judgmental people. If someone wants to learn, make them come here. So they can decide if they're willing to take on the responsibilty of a new culture and a way of life.

Just my thoughts and experiences.

im new here, i am also in HS atm and i am glad i didnt simply skip the sections about the culture because i understand what you are talking about, although it took reading this entire post. i understand that what some are saying may seem strict or unreasonable, but they have learned through experience and are doing it to protect the art that they love and not let it become a hollowed shell of what it really is and where it came from. i dont know what i would have done if i ended up doing something that contributed to hindering the growth of this community even if i did it with good intentions :dead:

well before i had an account i used to do it in school like during lunch because that was the only time i can do it because all my friends did it there and that was the only time i got to see them was at school but now i can go to their house without all the hastle

This is a really harsh opinion but i have to say NO highschoolers should be taught sticking. I taught some of my friends my freshman year and since then i've seen video's of them on stage at talent contests and other such taboo places. I see them do it at every single dance with sticks. It is not possible to judge whether or not a person will use sticking for attention. People do what they want. No matter how mature you think someone is or how much information on the culture you send them, their mind is made up the moment the idea of impressing that girl that like pops into their head.

This is a really harsh opinion but i have to say NO highschoolers should be taught sticking. I taught some of my friends my freshman year and since then i've seen video's of them on stage at talent contests and other such taboo places. I see them do it at every single dance with sticks. It is not possible to judge whether or not a person will use sticking for attention. People do what they want. No matter how mature you think someone is or how much information on the culture you send them, their mind is made up the moment the idea of impressing that girl that like pops into their head.

But the thing is ANY age person can do that. A 25 year old can get introduced and do it for attention. So can a 14 year old. So can an 18 year old. So can a 15 year old. Basically... to just say no high schoolers would mean really saying no one can do it because there are lots of older immature people just as there are lots of mature underage kids, ya know? You can't single out one age due to the stupidity of others. I mean, a lot of high schoolers OD at parties. So should all parties be people who have graduated high school only, no exceptions? It would be kind of silly to expect that, because it's judging those still in high school while not remembering those already out can be just as competitive, if not more, then the kids in high school still.

uh... no one said not to teach high schoolers. a lot of the dedicated members here are in high school.

we are saying that you should not glowstick IN a high school setting, because there's a time and place for everything.

outside of that please use your best judgement. and if you can't really figure out if it's a good situation to glowstick/teach or not, make a topic and ask here on glowsticking.com!

OK GSC HUGE PROBLEM! one of my dedicated friends to GSC is having trouble finding time to practice and the ONLY way he found is at lunch in High School, He can't do it at home cuz A he is grounded due to grades, and B his step dad thinks that if he starts raving he will be a druggie so it is forbidden in the house, and he can't do anything about that, Do you think that it will be ok to practice in the highschool envorment IF and only IF he found a iscolated location away from everyone.

Is he more concerned about his glowsticking then he is with his grades?

If nobody can see him then its probably not going to hurt anybody. I still dont get why you would want to risk something like that for.

I think the best solution would be to get more serious about school.

i know, and his house time is NOTHING BUT SCHOOL. but he really likes stringing and when he found out about the whole school practiceing thing. he was somewhat upset he respects the culture but he doesn't want to break any of the GSC codes, and at the same time he wants to keep it up and find a loop hole around his prediciment

I'd suggest he focus on his schoolwork more at the current time. His step dad isn't just grounding him to be mean, there's obviously a logical reason behind it. If he's falling behind in grades the last thing he needs to be doing with his time is glowstringing. Yet another reason why glowsticking and highschool don't mix. If he's really that adamant that he wants to string, there's options like in the bathroom, or in his room at night after homework is done. If that's still not possible for him then maybe it's just not the correct time for him to be learning to string. He's got all the time in the world after highschool to do what he wants to. Right now school and getting his grades up is definitely the most important thing for him.

This is a really harsh opinion but i have to say NO highschoolers should be taught sticking.

:angry:

I think that only responsible highschoolers should be taught sticking

just like responsible adults should be legally allowed to drink alcohol.

If they are NOT responsible, they drink and drive, and crash into school buses

same thing with high schoolers, If they are not responsible, and get drunk on being "cool", and then are found lying passed out on the floor with glowsticks in their hands, then it kind of puts a bad name out for the rest of us responsible highschoolers (and glowstickers in general).

grades are more important than glowsticking by far

:angry:

I think that only responsible highschoolers should be taught sticking

grades are more important than glowsticking by far

Knowing who is responsible and who isn't is only an opinion, or a judgment, and not always going to be correct. The best thing was said a few times throughout this entire thread.

There is a time and place for everything, and highschool is not the place. There is no good reason to do it there except that your showing off.

As for the kid who is grounded and can only practice at lunch, I also feel that there must be a larger issue, and perhaps now is not the time for him to be sticking. Perhaps he should also allow his step father to see some of these responses, and see the culture behind it. People fear what they do not understand.

There is a time and place for everything, and highschool is not the place. There is no good reason to do it there except that your showing off.

ditto. good thing i don't string in school

Perhaps he should also allow his step father to see some of these responses, and see the culture behind it. People fear what they do not understand.

That would be awesome, although I know I would never have the balls to do that. maybe one day, not now. I know my parents associate glowsticking with raves and drugs, and I have already had the "have you done drugs talk". it will be a tough one.

lol Bob Dylan: "Don't criticize what you can't understand"

Holy crap to whoever said we shouldn't teach highschoolers, wow lol. I would still not be here until 1 year from now, and I've been here for 3 years -_-

OK GSC HUGE PROBLEM! one of my dedicated friends to GSC is having trouble finding time to practice and the ONLY way he found is at lunch in High School, He can't do it at home cuz A he is grounded due to grades, and B his step dad thinks that if he starts raving he will be a druggie so it is forbidden in the house, and he can't do anything about that, Do you think that it will be ok to practice in the highschool envorment IF and only IF he found a iscolated location away from everyone.

I have to agree with bueno and ph0ton, there's always a time and place for everything...

now may not be the time, he really should be focusing on school before glowsticking...

plus, isn't there other places or times where he can practice? such as practicing in his backyard, at a buddy's house, or when his parents are asleep...

as for not teaching highschoolers about glowsticking, I think it's fine to teach them about glowsticking and the culture behind it only if it's not dealing in a highschool setting...

ya'll right, he's just going to worry about school, and respect ya'lls code about GSC and highschool. he'll pick up where he left off after highschool.

wtf is wrong with having a club.....its just another way to teach people the basics and wat not, and to find more people who might be interested in getting into the culture