Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stchuckraver3126

Glowsticking in school?

228 posts in this topic

here is an argument most high school kids can understand:

if you want to be cool, don't do it in school

don't be a pretender, be real, if you want to be taught the skills, don't stick in the talent show, forreals

don't leave it to chance, don't glowstick in the school dance

talent shows are for posers, battling is for losers

if you want to be cool, don't do it in school

don't be a pretender, be real, if you want to be taught the skills, don't stick in the talent show, forreals

don't leave it to chance, don't glowstick in the school dance

talent shows are for posers, battling is for losers

Hahhahahahahahahaha thats great dave im so saving that post!

umm i find if ure going to glowstring do it during a rally at school instead of a few random ppl

Obviously some of you don't care because you haven't experienced what happens when you do decide to show off at school. Simply put, none of you guys have glowsticked for that long to appreciate the ideals put on us. Trust me, I used to glowstick back in high school for those dances. I wanted to be that cool guy who could "rave". In the end, no one really cares. People will still look down upon you, because high school is all about being popular. This is WHY you don't do it at high school. College setting might be different...but there's a place and time for everything.

As you mentioned, I'll keep on flaming on. I've experienced a lot about glowsticking and this is the way to go. Feel free to disagree, but you'll regret it later. I certainly did (although I never posted I glowsticked at school before).

Probably the biggest problem is the attention you're getting when you glowstick at school. Almost all the time, inexperienced glowstickers will try and glowstick at school, when in reality they pretty much have no fucking clue what they're doing. The people watching don't know any better, and give you props.

So to summarize this...

Because you were called "uncool" at high school and maybe a few people made fun of you. Then you feel that no one should be allowed to glowstick in public as to protect them from being made fun of.

Fuck that, I will glowstick where I want with who I want, and when I want.

I'm a big believer in the theory that "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

PS- Don't be worried that Jocks will start taking over the raving community. Thats not gonna happen.

So to summarize this...

Because you were called "uncool" at high school and maybe a few people made fun of you. Then you feel that no one should be allowed to glowstick in public as to protect them from being made fun of.

I'm a big believer in the theory that "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

PS- Don't be worried that Jocks will start taking over the raving community. Thats not gonna happen.

Very nice.

Uh.

Ahem, not in relation to any of the above posts, I understand why we shouldn't glowstick at school or at a community centre dance or anything. I was wondering though what would happen if somebody completely nameless (I don't know, wear a mask and talk in a funny voice, or just dont talk) could glowstick at a dance. That way they wouldn't be doing in for street cred and other crap.

I thought about it and pretty much answered my own question - other kids might take it up to be cool and it will spread and burn out relatively fast - but I do wonder if there are possible scenarios where this wouldn't happen. I mean, it's not likely, but I think it's interesting if possible. Discuss?

to each their own. gsc is for furthering the culture. HS stuff is complicated. maybe read more and more?!

"so to summarize"

I think that says everything about you.

If you want to do that then go ahead. Dont think we are going to stop you. If you have a question then ask, but I really doubt thats the way you do things. Having that strong of an attitude before trying to understand something is only going to hold you back from learning about anything we have to tell you. You should probably just leave now. If you actually feel like learning about what we stand for then change your attitude and come back to talk with us.

I think that in some cases, this can be the possibility. There is going to be people out there that really do glowstick wherever they want and its just because they feel like it, not because they are looking for attention. Most of the attention that I have found at school is negative anyways. Ravers aren't looked highly upon regardless of where you live, who you hang out with, and what you look like.

So basically what I'm saying is when you glowstick in school you kind of further the disrespect for ravers/glowstickers that people tend to have. Occasionally though people will be really impressed and want you to show them how to glowstick. In which case you direct them here. But most of the time they react in a negative way or are just envious that you are able to perform such cool maneuvers with the things that they used to trick or treat with.

Deep down inside they want to do it too. But they would never give up their current standing on the high school popularity scale. So since they can't afford to join you they feel they should either make fun of you or not say anything and just envy all of us as a whole. :-/

EDIT: I said all this without reading the entire thread, but now that I have I fully understand why it is usually not a good idea to glowstick/string at school. You are kind of protecting your own interests as well if you don't do it in an environment like HS. Next time I'll read before I give my uneducated opinions lol.

So to summarize this...

Actually, I'd call that a pretty inaccurate summary.

umm i find if ure going to glowstring do it during a rally at school instead of a few random ppl

Feel like elaborating?

ADDED: In high school, people who haven't seen real stringing before won't make fun of you. Like nmestar said, they'll give you props because they enjoy what they see (unless they don't, of course - but most people do). At a dance in my school, I could do nothing but a 3-beat weave and people will be like "WTF HOW DO U DO TAT?"

I had another thought but it slipped my mind. I'll edit this post again if it comes back.

whatever I just recently started glowsticking. And I do it all the time.

College is awesome for glowstringing. I have already gotten 3 people in my dorm to give it a shot. 2 of them who are showing some real potential. Also its cool, everyonce in a while I'll be glowstringing in the basement of my dorm and a few kids will walk by and check it out.

I think the reason why I'm so secure about my stringing is because I suck. I have absolutely NO natural ability and the only reason why I am good is because I practice roughly one hour a day (my relaxation hour)

I feel bad if everyone else is in high school, I can honestly say, that is an absolutely different scene then college, but then again in high school I was like an out there punk and I was never afraid to give my honest opinion on things.

generally speaking, college and high school has big difference in terms of level of acceptance.

there are a lot more people in college than in high school. often times people are forced to interact with people who are very different than what they are used to. and that also forces people to be more open minded.

This would be my first post, although I've been lurking and reading these articles for a couple of hours. I just wanted to try to frame the concept presented by GS.C and see if I was way off the mark (if not, hopefully this will be helpful to people who are just skimming the threads). Here goes:

When I began reading the articles and threads, I immediately began to think of GS.C as an elitist community which was almost snobbish in retaining a beautiful art form from people who were eager to get involved. This seemed in stark contrast to the tenets of PLUR that I had heard about from friends and that attracted me to this site.

HOWEVER, upon reading carefully, (I think) it is most important to understand that this is not a debate among amateurs about a culture that is set in stone. It strikes me that this is a developing community, and that some of the vanguards of the culture are posting in this very thread (which is SO cool, IMHO). I looked back and realized that people who believed that GS.C was wrong were in fact demonstrating a lack of respect for those who are pioneering glowsticking/glowstringing; furthermore, they were doing so on the GS.C FORUMS, disregarding GS.C GUIDELINES. Also, keeping in mind that the culture is relatively new and still being explored, it is best for people to look at how their actions might effect the greater community (i.e. glowsticking in high school is a bad idea because it attracts people who are ignorant of the culture, those who want to learn how to glowstick because it will get them laid).

How was that?

I'm also new to GS.C, but I've had this argument with friends of mine before. In our senior year in high school some people decided to include a 'rave crew' in one of the productions in the theater. The crew was a mix of freehanders and stringers who had all essentially started learning moves during rehearsal. Like has already been said, they got plenty of props despite not being at all good and definitely gave people the wrong impression of glowsticking/stringing. This year apparently a glowsticking club was started, though I've heard that they actually have some really talented members. I can't really say that's bad thing; even though people got an inaccurate first impression (which definitely is a problem), it led to other people coming together and getting serious about about glowsticking.

One of the things being overlooked here is false pride. When you glowstick in public at an uneducated place in the interest of being seen, you are often praised by the crowd. Generally people who are doing this kind of sticking (at HS dances, talent shows, etc.) are new to the art and are generally not very good. When being praised by the crowd you develop a false sense of pride, and with that comes a lack of motivation and drive to become better. You set out to do what you wanted, right? You earned the hearts of your crowd and they love you, why should you improve? This is a major setback to the entire community. Glowstickers and Stringers will be measured up to these low standards and the community will be viewed upon by these false idols. Not to mention you will never get any better because you dont 'need' to be.

Just another reason for not publicly performing. :)

This would be my first post, although I've been lurking and reading these articles for a couple of hours. I just wanted to try to frame the concept presented by GS.C and see if I was way off the mark (if not, hopefully this will be helpful to people who are just skimming the threads). Here goes:

When I began reading the articles and threads, I immediately began to think of GS.C as an elitist community which was almost snobbish in retaining a beautiful art form from people who were eager to get involved. This seemed in stark contrast to the tenets of PLUR that I had heard about from friends and that attracted me to this site.

HOWEVER, upon reading carefully, (I think) it is most important to understand that this is not a debate among amateurs about a culture that is set in stone. It strikes me that this is a developing community, and that some of the vanguards of the culture are posting in this very thread (which is SO cool, IMHO). I looked back and realized that people who believed that GS.C was wrong were in fact demonstrating a lack of respect for those who are pioneering glowsticking/glowstringing; furthermore, they were doing so on the GS.C FORUMS, disregarding GS.C GUIDELINES. Also, keeping in mind that the culture is relatively new and still being explored, it is best for people to look at how their actions might effect the greater community (i.e. glowsticking in high school is a bad idea because it attracts people who are ignorant of the culture, those who want to learn how to glowstick because it will get them laid).

How was that?

perfect. =) we can only wish more newcomers are as understanding as you.

I'm also new to GS.C, but I've had this argument with friends of mine before. In our senior year in high school some people decided to include a 'rave crew' in one of the productions in the theater. The crew was a mix of freehanders and stringers who had all essentially started learning moves during rehearsal. Like has already been said, they got plenty of props despite not being at all good and definitely gave people the wrong impression of glowsticking/stringing. This year apparently a glowsticking club was started, though I've heard that they actually have some really talented members. I can't really say that's bad thing; even though people got an inaccurate first impression (which definitely is a problem), it led to other people coming together and getting serious about about glowsticking.
but what is the real reason that they are "serious" about glowsticking? is it because they saw how much prop those other people got previously? or did they really have an internal apperciation for the art?

do they understand the culture and philosophy behind the dance? are they TEACHING the correct culture and philosophy behind the dance to make sure whoever they are spreading it to gets it correctly? do they even care about these?

but what is the real reason that they are "serious" about glowsticking? is it because they saw how much prop those other people got previously? or did they really have an internal apperciation for the art?

do they understand the culture and philosophy behind the dance? are they TEACHING the correct culture and philosophy behind the dance to make sure whoever they are spreading it to gets it correctly? do they even care about these?

That's a good point; I do doubt that any of them know or care about culture of philosophy surrounding/behind glowsticking, so anyone they get into it will have the same lack of knowledge or interest. Their genuine interest in glowsticking does seem less positive when it dilutes or weakens its culture. To be honest, I doubt I really understand it either, but that's why I'm here.

we should sticky some of these posts and recompile a new explanation guide. there's a lot of good responses that need to be read but most are lost in the circumlocution.

It's sad members still don't understand what glowsticking is about. sigh

way to sell yourself out to glwosticking

there is a post saying not to stick at school. all you are doing is showing off. your not proving anything to anyone and noone will respect you.

its all part of PLUR

7 Pages late, zerizum? ;)

And to disagree, it's not all a part of PLUR, but rather a part of kids-will-do-it-to-be-cool-and-ignore-the-culture-whether-you-try-to-teach-them-or-not. Which, now that I think of it, would be part of PLUR, since you need to respect the culture and GS.C's values.. but then again, PLUR can be applied to anything in life.

It's sad members still don't understand what glowsticking is about. sigh

It's cause kids don't like to read the articles PM'd to them when they first register. Hell, I didn't read them either. I learned about GS.C's policies by reading topics here, in "GS.C Culture".