Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stchuckraver3126

Glowsticking in school?

228 posts in this topic

Im not quite sure on how I feel about this tread

I read EVERYTHING on on this thread and alot of people had alot of valid points especially ITR and Dave

Its true that HS is REALLY not the best place to spread this great culture of ours because of all the popularity contests and ect. but not all highschoolers are popularity minded.

For example

I string in a corner of the court yard of my HS (puts on flame resistant jacket) but all the people that hang out there know me and have asked me about what I do and all I can do is tell them "GS.C, read the culture articles and dont talk to me again till you have" so a few days later most come back and discuss with me exactly what they read. And as far as popularity at school, dont need it, Im moving so Ive got nothing to gain or lose so for me it doesnt seem to be a factor.

And the only reason I do it there is because I dont get out much and theres one or two stringers there and I ask their opinions on how to clean up my combos ect.

Since I joined GS.C I've talked to some of the greatest people Ive ever known and if Im fighting for anything its to be a part of this family.

Guest Duck

there should be no need for a flame resistant jacket here. flaming shouldn't happen, because it's about teaching the culture and educating people (regardless of whether they do or don't know better,) on the whys to our beliefs, not about flaming people who don't align immediately. i'd even go so far as to say that it's probably better that people don't align with our beliefs "just because we say so," but instead learn through experience or through discussion why glowsticking.com members believe what they do about these issues. no matter how excruciatingly repetitive it gets for older members.

Ok. I myself have thought about stringing in school and what would the other people would think. Honestly, i dont know what it is like at ur school but people at mine are fking stupid! Only a small number of my friends know i can somewhat string and think thats cool but i have never done it in school or for anyone. I do agree with Duck about the whole "educating others" thing but people will turn away before u open ur mouth. Im not saying dont perform period, i just think that you shouldn't perform in school, theres no support, or very little from school. Also, could you imagine all the idiots that see you stringing (or free handing) and decide to turn it into a competitive sport. We got enough competition in the world with a million other things, dont spoil a good thing.

**ohh and i dont think it was a coincidence that you happen to have sticks with u lol

Here, take my flame resistant jacket. It will protect you.

:rollin: I think I just died

Guest supraGlowString

Obviously some of you don't care because you haven't experienced what happens when you do decide to show off at school. Simply put, none of you guys have glowsticked for that long to appreciate the ideals put on us. Trust me, I used to glowstick back in high school for those dances. I wanted to be that cool guy who could "rave". In the end, no one really cares. People will still look down upon you, because high school is all about being popular. This is WHY you don't do it at high school. College setting might be different...but there's a place and time for everything.

As you mentioned, I'll keep on flaming on. I've experienced a lot about glowsticking and this is the way to go. Feel free to disagree, but you'll regret it later. I certainly did (although I never posted I glowsticked at school before).

Probably the biggest problem is the attention you're getting when you glowstick at school. Almost all the time, inexperienced glowstickers will try and glowstick at school, when in reality they pretty much have no fucking clue what they're doing. The people watching don't know any better, and give you props.

bro i know exactually what your talkin about, i personally have glowsticked at a high school dance and i regret every second of it. If i could only go back and change thingd =p, ohh well what is done is done

I'm 50/50.

Clubs for glowsticking shouldn't be allowed. and High school is really a popularity contest no matter how much the administration says it's not. But if people want to glowstick at school dances.. let them be. If they want to do it in the foyer or the halls just to chill out, fine. They aren't showing off, and what's the problem?

Mainstreaming... sure. but how many people really want to be part of it? Just for the skills that isn't part of themselves. Just to be a poser... great. It wouldn't be our problem. They would never understand the concepts behind it all. The Culture.

It's like when a stupid girl asks an chinese/japanese/korean person, "do you speak asian?" then tries to imitate the language.

I suppose I mean to say that it is just a matter of pride in this culture. Not to say that it's better than others, but to say we can ignore what the other people think, that we don't have to care if they are posers, b/c we are ourselves.

:(:(:(:( but to be honest, if people didn't go around glowsticking once and a while, glowsticking wouldn't get that many more people unless they found out for themselves what it means.

That's how I finally found myself here. I just wanted to learn more tricks after getting into stringing last year, but I've read most of the articles here and I find myself wanting to learn more and more.

SO you can't flame people that just want to spread the culture just a little, especially in school. You just have to be lenient.

*hides from maybe flamers*

I'm 50/50.

SO you can't flame people that just want to spread the culture just a little, especially in school. You just have to be lenient.

Did you read this article? Its a real good read.

http://www.glowsticking.com/nu/

Often times spreading the culture like how you say is not spreading it the right way. Which is why a dance or school is not okay by any means. :)

I personally highly disagree with competitions and battles of glowsticking. Along with the previous stated phrase that being on stage. I Prefer to be eye level of course.

But i also do beleive that tthere could be certain cicumstances, like the im in now. I am going to join my high school talent show, BUT there isnt enough room for me to glowstick between the stage and the audience, therefore the stage is my only option. But this isnt a competition talent show, or I'd not be in it, seeing as even tho im not competing with any other stickers, i wont let my hobby be any part of a competition.

Yes i know its a high school. I'm not doing it to show off. And i refuse to teach anyone else that will try to show off, seeing as i have been in this chool my ENTIRE life i know near literally everyone and know how they are. I have only put this culture on one other person, my fiance' whom is also a glowstringer.

She respects and follows this culture, and she reminded me of the prinicple of sticking in high school. So thats why im prolly not going to do it.

But i have not decided concretely doing it. I will prolly tell myself that im going to do it so i practice more then not do it at all. :P

One question tho.

I am part of a drill team at my school.

We literally spend ATLEAST 4 hours a day on week days otgether and on weekend with out competions we spend ALL weekend together [we are 4th in the nation at this moment]

I have been thinking about glowstringing at the end of the day before we go to drill practice.

But idk.

They all know my culture, they all know that i dont show off at all. Also they are all VERY close friends.

What are your opinions on glowstringing in the presence of them?

Yes i know its a high school. I'm not doing it to show off. And i refuse to teach anyone else that will try to show off, seeing as i have been in this chool my ENTIRE life i know near literally everyone and know how they are. I have only put this culture on one other person, my fiance' whom is also a glowstringer.

She respects and follows this culture, and she reminded me of the prinicple of sticking in high school. So thats why im prolly not going to do it.

But i have not decided concretely doing it. I will prolly tell myself that im going to do it so i practice more then not do it at all. :P

One question tho.

We literally spend ATLEAST 4 hours a day on week days otgether and on weekend with out competions we spend ALL weekend together [we are 4th in the nation at this moment]

I have been thinking about glowstringing at the end of the day before we go to drill practice.

But idk.

They all know my culture, they all know that i dont show off at all. Also they are all VERY close friends.

I say go for it, i mean its not goin like ur gonna do it to "show off" or anything its just you doing something you enjoy, and last time i checked there was nothing wrong w/ that....besides like you said theyre your close friends i doubt any harm can come of you practicing in front of them....hell i practice before and after wrestling practice and if the rest of the wrestlers are there fine all that means is that i get an outside opinion, its no big deal (at least for me)

oh and btw that whole competing for money and shit is totall B/S i mean glowsticking should be done out of passion for the culture not for proffit

I'm still not sure if you read anything. Why don't you take some time off and catch up on those past conversations.

I say go for it, i mean its not goin like ur gonna do it to "show off" or anything its just you doing something you enjoy, and last time i checked there was nothing wrong w/ that....besides like you said theyre your close friends i doubt any harm can come of you practicing in front of them....hell i practice before and after wrestling practice and if the rest of the wrestlers are there fine all that means is that i get an outside opinion, its no big deal (at least for me)

10 months you have been on this board. Have you read anything at all?

Guest ooosupra92ooo

Dude are u serious...do u know the rules about glowsticking...if u don't know then might as well leave!...Glowsticking is not about competitions and showing-off...man go read the aritckes again...unless ur not banned.

The string is huge and i haven't had time to read all the posts, but just about everyone has something legit to say. I think the problem is many people are coming into this too naive and (though they deny it) with a sort of ego built around this newfound phenomenon. it's ok to be excited about glowsticking and the raving culture. it sweeps you off of your feet and shows you a side to life you hadn't been free enough to let yourself even dream. it can awaken your spirituality if you let it and make a better person out of you. and glowsticking/stringing are ways of expressing these feelings/experiences.

but we live in a world of practical considerations and you have to remember not everyone is as accepting of rave culture as you may be. personally i think it's all derived from fear. people are afraid of what they don't understand and the culture has a way of showing ourselves things we didn't even know about ourselves--infinitely more scary for some. you will not be able to make everyone understand in this lifetime. if you go around carelessly displaying this people will reject you, scorn you, persecute you, and make fun of you, but that should not stop you.

what should stop you are the practical considerations. people associate glowsticking/stringing with raves which they associate with drugs. whatever your stance be on drugs the rest of the world sees it as bad and since the rave scene first hit in america society and the government have been fighting it as though it was a war. which is ironically opposed to everthing ravers stand for.

no one press charges on you for raving but everyone will cast a suspicious eye on you especially your parents. i would also STRONGLY advised against doing it in front of teachers. you're fortunate that your teacher was probably rather ignorant but teachers are often educated on the "harmful" cultures of today's youth and you will probably be red-flagged whether you have done/intend to do anything illegal or not.

i know what it's like to want to share yourself with others if you, like me, deeply value the art of glowstringing. i want everyday to tell my parents i'm not christian and i'm bisexual, but i can't. there are consequences and there may be for you too. the optimist in me hopes that someday everyone will understand and share my values but the realist in me says that the world is just not ready for it and may not be in my lifetime.

tread carefully and strive to maintain a balance. exercise your spiritual being but don't forget you are a physical being with practical limitations like earning a living, eating, and keeping a roof over your head. peace.

Guest supraGlowString

wow nice job you sounded like a 70 year old wise man, some one that look slike that wizard from lord of the rings =] lol , good job

Now I don't do it but im alowed to question right? if not then tell me and I will delte this post.

Now i am agenst the whole "glowsticking club thing" this guy said and I am 100% agenst "battleing"

but is glow sticking in school that bad I meen and i'll be honest I became intresed in glow sticking after watching someone perform in a talnet show. Now I agree this is not a good thing.

however glowsticking at a school dance might be fun if your not doing it to get attention. What if you did it with a few freinds(and nott up on stage) who know the customs and just happened to bring glowsticks to the said dance anyway...wouldn't that be the same as performing in a bar or a rave or whatever .

I meen personly if one of the "in crowd" at my school asked me to teach them anything(they heard me talking about glow sticking with my freinds) I would say/did fuck no becuse I would know that they werent mature enoph to handle the customs and such.

please don't ban me im just stateing a simple question

why should we let a bunch of attention whores(that is what they are) ruin public glowsticking for everyone else...shure there are the shit stereo types and those who"battle" but we shouldn't let those bastereds ruin it for the rest of us....

*puts up flame sheild and gets redey for a ban*

Hey glowsticking.com community. I'm new and when I registered I read about battling. I understood the meaning about how you guys are against it, and I support that also. However, when I registered, I didn't know about this school thing until I read all the pinned topics (I always read pinned topics in forums). Anyways, I learned a lot and I'm just really happy that this was pinned. It really opened my eyes to the PLUR part of glowsticking. It also made me understand how glowsticking in high school could (most likely) lead to battling. There's still a lot for me to learn, and I'm anxious to learn. I was about to make the same mistake; I never really noticed the community part of glowsticking until now.

However, this reminded me of a YouTube video I saw and favorited that really inspired me. This Oakland group was a glowsticking group in high school. However, I actually think they learned the idea of PLUR and wasn't doing it for popularity. I don't know, maybe it's just because I'm new or something.

Here's the video:

Would you support them? I am 50/50 right now.

in this comuity soporting things like glowsticking in high school is a quick way to get ban...I do soport them however...and these guys seem to know what glow sticking is all about.

I'm 50/50.

Clubs for glowsticking shouldn't be allowed. and High school is really a popularity contest no matter how much the administration says it's not. But if people want to glowstick at school dances.. let them be. If they want to do it in the foyer or the halls just to chill out, fine. They aren't showing off, and what's the problem?

Mainstreaming... sure. but how many people really want to be part of it? Just for the skills that isn't part of themselves. Just to be a poser... great. It wouldn't be our problem. They would never understand the concepts behind it all. The Culture.

It's like when a stupid girl asks an chinese/japanese/korean person, "do you speak asian?" then tries to imitate the language.

I suppose I mean to say that it is just a matter of pride in this culture. Not to say that it's better than others, but to say we can ignore what the other people think, that we don't have to care if they are posers, b/c we are ourselves.

:(:(:(:( but to be honest, if people didn't go around glowsticking once and a while, glowsticking wouldn't get that many more people unless they found out for themselves what it means.

That's how I finally found myself here. I just wanted to learn more tricks after getting into stringing last year, but I've read most of the articles here and I find myself wanting to learn more and more.

I personally highly disagree with competitions and battles of glowsticking. Along with the previous stated phrase that being on stage. I Prefer to be eye level of course.

But i also do beleive that tthere could be certain cicumstances, like the im in now. I am going to join my high school talent show, BUT there isnt enough room for me to glowstick between the stage and the audience, therefore the stage is my only option. But this isnt a competition talent show, or I'd not be in it, seeing as even tho im not competing with any other stickers, i wont let my hobby be any part of a competition.

One question tho.

But idk.

oh and btw that whole competing for money and shit is totall B/S i mean glowsticking should be done out of passion for the culture not for proffit

1) What the hell is it with you people and Flame guards and flame shields and omg hiding from flamers...if you know what u said is going to disagree with some people either accept what other have to say or just shut up about it period...

2) Its hard to be 50/50 about glowsticking in high school your either for it or your not.....ive read through a majority of this thread and id like to say bluntly that if you have reasonable doubt about whether or not you should glowstick in highschool i advise you all to go through the articles about glowsticking in highschool or even read existentialspin's post...you shouldnt flip flop and contradict urself over and over again because you will end up looking stupid in the long run.

3) Now heres what i have to say about glowsticking in highschool:

We have a lot of high school members on the board...a HUGE majority of them keep there sticks at home, don't even let there friends know there glowstickers. In a high school environment a lot of people are highly immature who follow cliques and would normally associate glowsticking to raves, drugs, and battles....A friend of mine who is in HS said that they showed Stomp the Yard which in my opinion is a horrable movie because it does damage the art of dance and makes it appear as though we are all battlers....that same vibe carries along high school. one person dances another person has to do better which is completely fucking stupid but it happens, and we cannot control that situation because of the fact what we do is taboo. People who than pick up glowsticks after seeing you decides to go omg i could do it too and spam figure 8's and poorly done butterflys, corkscrews, and windmills...I for one can attest to this because in my high school there was a girl who did glowstring. At the prom she strung realllllllly poor Windmills...and sum other dude took her sticks started figure 8's on the floor (god wtf was wrong with the people in my HS) and started doing butterfly's which kept tangling up....People than saw them as the ravers.......Teachers looked at them wierd..students looked at them wierd...People can't understand the fact people do things for a reason for art, passion, or love. No one has respect for other cultures that aren't mainstream, on MTV, or done by a mass amount of people in that school/incrowd....

there are a lot more other reasons but yea ill write more later....Hope this all sinks in to you all....

I was pretty hyped about bringing glowsticking to school, but in all honesty I can see where the site dev.s' and founders are coming from. I started it a little and have seen it in my own school. It's not pretty, and it shouldn't be started. Now allb be it, I don't agree on the generalization of 1 out of 10 people giving a rat's *** or even caring about this, we all got into this the same way everyone else did. It looked good and we wanted to give it a shot. Through the proper culturalization and correct spread of beliefs, norms, and values, we have built up against the bashers and people who do this for the wrong reasons. My solution? Their's too much peer pressure in schools, find another avenue of expressing your arts and continuing the culture.

Around the end of August 06, just before the start of my freshman year at mhs, I was crashin the night over at my best friend's place Zychal, whom I've known since like kindergarten :dope , as we were IMin Karmaraver late at night

Zychal's seen Karma string before and we wanted to get into it (freehanding that is haha)

Instantly, Karma sent us the link to the article on glowsticking in high school, and as we read it, he gave us even more info and discussions on glowsticking at such a young age just starting out high school

Man, we knew Karma cause he lived in our small town suburbs and we got the culture down instantly

Karmaraver=Good Vibes, so it was an excellent start to our freehanding

We began our freehanding lifestyle :dope and because I live like 10 minutes away from the high school by foot (I never take the bus) Zychal and I would chill at my house after school literally every day to practice freehanding with dead sticks

We'd simply break out the water bottles or soda and practice upstairs with my computer blastin like Gouryella music and even non-traditional music [i like LP :P]

Thus D.N.A. and RNA were born, having the wisdom we needed for this beautiful dance

Eventually we had another childhood bro Manahan (Raveradiance) and Zychal's girlfriend Ximena (Menaxcore) comin over to my house after school to our "mini practice sessions"

We passed on the same knowledge of glowsticking we received from Karmaraver, and they both go it down in a heartbeat cause well, it made sense :biggrin2:

Manahan became a freehander, some mad stalls developed and Ximena loved stringing despite the beginning bruises and broken lamp in my room :rolleyes:

So for an entire school year every day the four of us (sometimes less) would practice after school at my house, the memories are countless

We've never taken our glowsticking to any school event, class, etc. it just never seemed like somethin we really wanted to do, no dances, formals, or anything. We believed we should be known for the people we are, ourselves, not ravers or anything

Hey we were even able to make it to the April 07 GS.C meetup @ Central Park, good times, great vibes, awesome people :dope

Now that summer vacation's here, we're all hopin to attend glowshops and more sessions here in the EC, meet new people and learn more. There's one comin up for us hosted by Karmaraver himself

Ginseng told me like as long as you keep this up, during my senior year, im gonna wake up and be all "OH SHIT! I'VE BEEN FREEHANDING FOR 4 YEARS!" haha

Us 4 glowstickers/best friends are mad young, 14-15 range, but with Karmaraver putting us in the right direction, our attitudes towards glowsticking has greatly matured and we'll be able to enjoy and respect the culture of this dance we all love for years to come

hey i was wondering what if i practice after school where nobody see's it because my parents take a while to pick me up and that's what i have been doing to get extra practice in

Personally, I wouldn't. Do homework or something while you wait for your mom so you can glowstick at home. :P