Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stchuckraver3126

Glowsticking in school?

228 posts in this topic

haha...make all mandatory meetings pre-rave get togethers...lol

joke

but PLUR ppl... i mean he messed up but dont be so harsh....spread the plur....he will learn

Look, it's all very simple.

When in high school, popularity means alot more then people think it does(when it really shouldn't). You might be in it for the culture, that doesn't mean everyone in the club is in it for the culture. They wanna do something that makes them look cool without actually having to do that much work...and when it stops looking cool, they will drop it faster then a horny freshman will drop their pants. They will battle, no matter how much you try to tell them that they shouldn't, because they will want to try to prove that "they are the best". Why? Because doing that will increase their popularity. It will get more people to notice them.

It's just that simple. They will do what they can do to become popular, which in reality it won't matter how popular they are in a few years when they enter the real world.

Please read the articles before even considering doing something like glowsticking in school. Especially read the culture articles, cause I believe there is actually an article that states why we are against glowsticking in high school. This isn't something that happened over night. These ideals are the result of a constint evolution of thoughts that happen over the course of years.

We aren't saying you shouldn't glowstick in high school cause you would be "selling out"(honestly, I doubt you will be getting paid and that is a MAJOR factor in "selling out"), but because we know that it will cause jackasses that could give two shits less about the culture and only about showing off to start sticking, and that could lead them to start battling.

Actually, here are a couple of articles, more of which could be found in the articles section of the site.

The first one is about glowsticking in high school. This is the link http://www.glowsticking.com/nu/index.php?itemid=95&catid=4 .

The second one is in regards to battling. Again, this is the link http://www.glowsticking.com/nu/index.php?itemid=29&catid=4 .

I am not going to say "go for it". Hell, by saying that I am agreeing that you should do this. I am saying please, please read this stuff over. Please try to understand why we don't look kindly upon people sticking in HS.

Trust me, you might be popular for a bit if you do this, but that popularity will rapidly fade. Take it from the guy who used to throw constint open invite parties during high school. It won't matter after you get out, and it won't last as long as you think.

haha...make all mandatory meetings pre-rave get togethers...lol

joke

but PLUR ppl... i mean he messed up but dont be so harsh....spread the plur....he will learn

Alright, now this just pissed me off. Why is it that every time someone posts anything that goes against the ideals of this site, things that are mentioned in the user agreement, and members of the board try to tell them why we disagree, that we get such comments? Is it PLUR to let someone walk all over the community you are a part of? And the thing about it is that people right now are being ALOT nicer then I have seen in the past in regards to this. No one is shouting or attacking the guy. We are trying to point out why people shouldn't glowstick in high school.

PLUR... Peace, Love, Unity, Respect. We are keeping PLUR. Are remaining peaceful. We are keeping this from being hateful. We are trying to keep the unity of the community, and we are being respectful not only to that same community, but also to the person who appearently didn't know better by not cursing him out.

When people start saying things like this, that IMO, is not very PLUR like. No, I am not saying that we all have to conform to the same way of thinking without actually thinking about why things are like this. I am not saying that there is no room to disagree. What I am saying is that when we disagree with the person, when we try to post why we disagree with them and are doing it in a respectful manner, when we are told "that is not very PLUR like", that is disrectful.

Hey, I've got news, PLUR is about living it, but it's also not about letting people walk on you and your beliefs. Remember, you gotta have PLUR for and within yourself first, and then the world. So next time someone thinks about saying something like this, ask yourself if you are gonna sound like an ass to the people you are directing this to.

BTW, sorry about the rant, but as I said, I just got pissed off when I saw that. I've got nothing against you Chronokid, so please don't take that personally. It's just that I've seen other people do the excact same thing, and I have just gotten really fed up.

Absolutely fantastic!

This dicussion contributes knowledgable myriads to this mosaic art; advising from personal experience(s) ranging in multitudes for all levels. The ideal of P.L.U.R. can be as simple or convoluted as you allow it; face it, the words making the wondrous acronym easily depict it's over-all message:

P - Peace.

L - Love.

U - Unity.

R - Respect.

Now, allow me to explain to you why it is an ill-advised idea to promote and 'exploit' such a phenomenal and dynamic culture to those misinformed; I'll do it using P.L.U.R.

Keeping everything at status quo, engaging in informational conversations, gatherings and of the like; teaching and learning with an open mind, eyes, heart and soul. Being a leader, spreading the majesty and dominating influences and emotions expressed when you're vibing/raving/dancing, but remaining unbiased by your own self-aggrandizing and foreseen contumelious due to imposing grandeur; still an apprentice to the world and your fellow man.

Now, the basis of this advises that, chances are, you will be corrupted by the praise of the asinine and ill-advised; it's easy to exploit the masses, to perplex the ignorant for recognition and soon, you will forget or denounce the practice of 'Peace,' of P.L.U.R. You will be quelling years of hardships, quelling that, which, each 'Raver' strived for; an ascertain peace in the love shared in unity and respect.

You'd be exploiting this artform for personal gain and further sullying it's over-all sooth, that axiom being that music and motion speaks volumes without ill-intent as a definite outcome. We can all come together, young and old, and express how we feel without words, without speaking; the beauty in that is astounding. They're 'flaming' you as a naturally developed defense mechanism, as it were, to protect the life and culture they love and adore; to them, it feels like you're 'selling' out a loved one. Would you feel content knowing what you've come to know and love as something peaceful, uniquely yours and your fellow ravers is slowly becoming commercialized by the proverbial false "Prophet," spreading venomous words and actions to the masses?

What you teach at your school about Stringing/Handling/Meteoring/Freehanding/etc could be easily misconstrued and lethargically frowned upon.

P.L.U.R. cannot exist if someone feels the need to be superior. Unless you dedicate yourself to learning about EVERYONE joining the club, you will be begetting progeny of antagonistic value because, let's face it, this artform is incredible to watch, to perfect and make a permenance; to become. If you take this to your school, someone's going to exploit it to become popular or, quite possibly, call you on your ideals and accuse you of trying to become popular; what will entail?

Battles, Crews, Controversy, Misinterpretation.

Can P.L.U.R. exist, strive and ameliorate us into outstanding human beings if the enviroment demands such acromony? Of course not.

I may not be known, I may not be able to freehand or string very well yet and I will admit that I, at first, knew nothing about this culture and wanted to take advantage of it; but now, all I want to do is feel the rhythm, congregate with all my music lovers and be as one. P.L.U.R. isn't just a nifty acronym, it's a way of life. The only way of life that should be openly expressed to all without a second's hesitation. I'm falling in love with GS.C and everything and one contributing to it because I finally understand P.L.U.R.

Just consider this if you do decide to make a club, because from how you expressed the idea, you seemed like you were boasting; or, at the very least, it was felt. Gatherings are fine, but please don't forget what raving is all about; I'll never forget this later on in life. The sweat, the laughter, the tears, the aches and pains; life, man... you gotta love it.

Spread the word of Glowsticking, about raving and living youth, that's all fine and dandy. However, don't let the praises inflate your ego, it is only temporary.

I apologize for my babbling, but P.L.U.R. is something I lived for years without knowing and now that I can incorporate it into something I cherish, I want to protect it like a father his virgin daughter. She will stay pure for as long as I can help it.

Thank you for your time.

- Dimetrius.

( My first post. Wooooooo. )

Im so excited right now. I just got off school a bit ago, and i happened to have some glowsticks with me for drama, and we had a random homeroom thing today. There was a couple other beanos in my class and they wanted me to put on a show for em. I'm not bad at freehand, but i jsut started strings on monday of this week, and i'm pretty much addicted to it now. A teacher that saw me do it thought it was amazing and wants to sponsor a club for me. I'm just gonna do it, because i know if i have to show other people how to do it i'll just practice more and get better, plus starting a club looks good on a college resume. I was wondering if anyone else had a glowsticking club at there school.

Alright. i got the idea now. I messed up big time. But please, just give me a break. first off, i'm not starting the club now just so you know. second off, i wasnt going to do it to be cool. I'm not a "raver", i never said i was i jsut tried to think of a cool name for this website. the biggest reason i wanted to do it is because i think glowsticking as a whole is something so awesome and amazing, that it should be shared with the masses. How am i sharing it anymore than all the ppl who make videos of themselves and put them on youtube? I deffinately agree with almost everyone who posted to my topic too, I never even planned on turning it into a battling thing, i just wanted to give ppl who already know what their doing a way to get together and make some new friends. I know i'm not good yet, i've only been glowstringing for 6 days. but I can honestly say I love it, and WILL practice everyday, until i am good. I dont need glowsticks to try and be cool. I have my own friends that i make on my own just by being a genuine person. I had no idea that i was supposed to try and keep glowsticking a "secret", but I'm not gonna start the club now anyways so it doesnt matter, just lay off me though.

practice is the key, and once you hit the point where you know that your out of the beginner stage, the goal is not to towards who's better and who's not... this art is done by expressing ourselves by creating unique combos, moves, etc... for example, I would rather be able to work on a series of wrap combos than to be able to just learn more advanced moves w/o knowing how to place it into combos...

Alright. i got the idea now. I messed up big time. But please, just give me a break. first off, i'm not starting the club now just so you know. second off, i wasnt going to do it to be cool. I'm not a "raver", i never said i was i jsut tried to think of a cool name for this website. the biggest reason i wanted to do it is because i think glowsticking as a whole is something so awesome and amazing, that it should be shared with the masses. How am i sharing it anymore than all the ppl who make videos of themselves and put them on youtube? I deffinately agree with almost everyone who posted to my topic too, I never even planned on turning it into a battling thing, i just wanted to give ppl who already know what their doing a way to get together and make some new friends. I know i'm not good yet, i've only been glowstringing for 6 days. but I can honestly say I love it, and WILL practice everyday, until i am good. I dont need glowsticks to try and be cool. I have my own friends that i make on my own just by being a genuine person. I had no idea that i was supposed to try and keep glowsticking a "secret", but I'm not gonna start the club now anyways so it doesnt matter, just lay off me though.

That's the thing, if you want to create a way for other glowstickers to meet up, you have to actively look for them and try to arrange a meet up. That's part of the reason for this site. So that we can not only discuss the dance form we love, but also, if we so choose, meet any other local glowstickers in the area. I mean, take a look at NYC. During the summer, the people there were schedualling constint meet ups.

Also, we aren't trying to keep this a secret, as you claim. It's just that there is a a right and wrong place to glowstick. For example, lets say you are a gun enthutheist*sp*. You could join a "gun club", go to the shooting range, ect to meet other people with your same interests. At the same time, you wouldn't think about starting a club at your high school. It will most likely be frowned upon by the majority of people (as glowsticking sometimes is b/c of it's association with the rave culture, which is associated with drug usage and hedoism). You might get a couple of people know something about guns, and then you will get a majority of morons who are only there b/c they think that "guns are cool" and don't want to learn squat about safety or their varied history. When you get out of high school, you will realize that attitudes quickly change. This is partially due to people maturing, but mostly due to the fact that popularity means jackshit outside of high school. Really, the best place to glowstick is at a rave. Not a club, but an actual rave. You will notice the difference in attitudes. People tend to be more accepting, and those that approach you wanting to learn genunely*again, sp* want to learn, and not just the "cool moves" to show off eather. Yes, glowsticking is becoming it's own culture, but it's still tied to the rave culture which some would argue gave birth to it.

im a glowsticker and YES im in highschool.

just listen to everybody and dont glowstick at highschool.

and if someone's talkin shit about u, or somethin. and there like

"oo u cant dance for shit" or whatever, dont even bust out glowsticks thats just sad!

just be the bigger person, smile and walk away. its really not hard. and if your so dam tempted to show ur ass off infront of all ur "friends", than keep ur strings at home. the only people i actually "share" glowstringing with, are my really close friends. even people ive been talking to for like 2-3 years, i dont even show them glowstringing. i mean really common now. do you really need to swing glowsticks on strings to get friends? and you really think they will be ur FRIENDS??? answer= hell no.

Edit: the reason why im mad at you posting this is because you should read all the rules, articles, and all that stuff before you start posting about this stuff.

i mean im not trying to even act like i kno everything about the glowsticking cultture. im still new, 10 months only. im just sharing my experience. but right away i knew not to glowstick in school, and you should too.

As Lord Protector of GS.C and the Essence of which the Bryceland is founded, I dub +{Iniquitous Romancer}+ Temporal, Dimetrius, IRT, in the interest of type-sanity and efficiency in referring to the poster formerly known as +{Iniquitous Romancer}+ Temporal

My second act in this thread is to dub IRT, the GS.C poet-writer of the highest order.

hmm so what dave is saying is that to go against wat OMG and Sj are saying?

yea cauz thats wat im doin. hopefully it is. lol

hmm the thing about sticking in school is that there are a lot of ppl in school hu just wanna learn and show off thats y i dont do it at school.

then every1 at ur school would stick as a fad and there'd be like more comps, battles and shit, etc. for comps i mean like inside school events which would promote glowsticking itelf but not the culture aswell and it would encourage more battles

Keep this pinned since so many kids seem like they don't want to read the articles. hmph. Glowsticking in schools, what do they teach in schools nowadays?

As Lord Protector of GS.C and the Essence of which the Bryceland is founded, I dub +{Iniquitous Romancer}+ Temporal, Dimetrius, IRT, in the interest of type-sanity and efficiency in referring to the poster formerly known as +{Iniquitous Romancer}+ Temporal

My second act in this thread is to dub IRT, the GS.C poet-writer of the highest order.

what the deuce does that mean

Keep this pinned since so many kids seem like they don't want to read the articles. hmph. Glowsticking in schools, what do they teach in schools nowadays?

Agreed, I also think a copy of it should be kept in the stringing forum instead of only the culture forum. Reason for my thinking this is b/c something tells me that alot of the people who will think it's alright to string in school won't check out the culture forum.

what the deuce does that mean

lol dude im in the same boat with you but i think he is trying to tell us wht the name means lol?

Yeah, i'm deffinately sorry about not reading all the culture information, and general rules and such. i am really new to it, and i just went straight to the forums instead of reading the important stuff. The thing is, is that where i live i really doibt there's many people who know too much about glowsticking, much less stringing. Is there a way i could try to find some people who are better that i could meet up with through the forums?

Interesting topic. I'm not going to say what I think, because I'm not the one to tell everyone I know everything about every school in the country/world. I really think some people need to get over their, "I know everything" attitude and actually give advice to people to allow them to make the right decisions rather than arbitrarily stating that glowsticking in school is bad because everyone in every high school has the sole objective of showing off and looking cool. I, personally, would recommend against starting a school-sponsored club, but again, I'm not the one to tell anyone what to do. I say learn about the culture, and make your own decision.

"if you can't convince people on your own (besides pushing it to their faces in SCHOOL where you should be studying for you SAT's, since SAT scores have dropped the most in what like 30 years??)"

--Some things posted are completely irrelevant. Who said school's purpose was to study for the SAT? And even more, SAT scores are based on other's people's scores and the SAT is a ever-changing test. I think sometimes things are posted here just because people need something to write.

Sorry for having you come to GS.C and almost immediately get flamed. Maybe we should have a pinned topic on topics you will get flamed for.

Sorry if it seems like I'm in a bad mood, I just get tired of things sometimes...

Alright, the return of Kidd Reige! Well, lets put it like this guys. When I first started, as a freshman(I'm a senior now) I was doing what you all did, freehanding in school and trying to be "cool". It doesn't matter if you have the illest threads or traces or whatever. If you don't have respect, do you think freehanding or stringing will get it for you? Not really. People will be stereotypical and ASSUME your a druggie. Thats really not something you want. You look at street dancing, funkstyles, and all that, and people doing it. It looks cool, and people crowd around it because thats what society shows as "hip" and "cool". Don't get me wrong, I am a street dancer too, but I do it for my own reasons, not because I want to be the coolest kid in school. Because no matter how good of a dancer you are, if you don't have that kind of personality, no one cares. And honestly, I prefer it that way. School is meant to educate You, the STUDENT. Not for you to dance, or whatever the hell else you want to do. Dance on your own time, where it is appropriate. It is more appropriate to dance in your living room than school.

I dont see whats wrong with glowsticks in school. I tell people I do it and my teacher is Physics class wanted me to show people in the class. The only relation it had with Physics is "Rotation or Revolution". But It ended up just me showing what I love the most. Everyone has their own taste/talents/hobbies, now that ive done glowsticking in school a couple times now, people know what I like and I actually made some new friends because they like it, I havent really recieved any negativity feed back but if I do then so what, I glowstick infront of my friends in and out of school. The maint thing I try to make other students learn is that its NOT raving, I do not rave (if anything I dont plan to go to a rave at all) But I HAVE been glowsticking for 3 1/2 years now, and so far I have been succesful with that and no one has been really calling it raving. So I say its just fine to glowstick at school and spread the talent around

I dont see whats wrong with glowsticks in school. I tell people I do it and my teacher is Physics class wanted me to show people in the class. The only relation it had with Physics is "Rotation or Revolution". But It ended up just me showing what I love the most. Everyone has their own taste/talents/hobbies, now that ive done glowsticking in school a couple times now, people know what I like and I actually made some new friends because they like it, I havent really recieved any negativity feed back but if I do then so what, I glowstick infront of my friends in and out of school. The main thing I try to make other students learn is that its NOT raving, I do not rave (if anything I dont plan to go to a rave at all) But I HAVE been glowsticking for 3 1/2 years now, and so far I have been succesful with that and no one has been really calling it raving. So I say its just fine to glowstick at school and spread the talent around.

no, it's not really fine! i don't like doing this but i'm going to spam you! by the way, people will judge you and not everyone will judge you fairly. you may have made some friends, but you've also created some dissenting opinions.

An in-depth article discussing the issue of "Should we spread glowsticking in a high school setting?"

Many newcomers and non-glowstickers ask this question -- ?Why is it so bad to glowstick in a high school setting?? I will admit that this is not an easy question to answer, and the answer is also not an easy one to comprehend. However, I do believe that it is important for us to try our best to understand this topic fully, in order to preserve our beloved dance and its culture.

The following explanation will be based somewhat on generalization, but I believe this generalization is necessary, especially on this specific topic. Will there be exceptions? Perhaps. But realize that history often repeats itself unless we make a collective and conscious effort to change its path.

Since glowsticking is relatively new, in order to find answers in history, we look to another underground dance form that has already made its mark ? bboying, or breakdancing.

Bboying started as a fairly underground dance form, but once MTV got a hold of it, it exploded through TV and movies such as Flashdance. After that, it seemed like everyone was spinning on their backs on a piece of cardboard. MTV made bboying the popular thing to do, not just for the people who live bboying as a lifestyle, but for everyone, the general public.

It?s not hard to see that during this process, the culture and the meaning behind bboying becomes diluted. People who saw bboying through mass media only saw the moves, and the fame associated with the ability to perform these moves. The culture and its meaning are, of course, lost. After all, you don?t need to understand what bboying is about in order to learn the moves and become popular, to jump on the trend. Naturally, when MTV decided that bboying is no longer the ?cool thing to do,? these posers fell off the bandwagon. Bboying was chewed up and spitted out by mainstream.

The point is, when an underground dance form becomes a mean to popularity, whether through mainstream and mass media or otherwise, it dilutes the art and culture. Many of the poser-bandwagon-breakdancers have no idea what it means to be a Bboy, they just copy what is cool.

That?s the lesson I think glowsticking can learn from the history of underground dance forms.

Many of us who has been through high school can agree that a big part of high school revolves around fitting in, popularity, and trying to identify yourself. This is definitely not a ?bad thing,? it?s just a process that most of us had to go through before truly finding ourselves. However, it is most likely a bad setting to introduce an often-misunderstood underground dance form, such as glowsticking.

If we ask the high school kids who insist on glowsticking in high school why they do it, most of them will answer something along the lines of, ?I did it once, then a lot of people thought that it was cool. They all came to ask me about it afterwards. I can therefore spread/promote glowsticking.? Because honestly, why would anyone keep glowsticking in school if they get picked on for it?

With that said, can you see how it is very likely that they are glowsticking only for attention and praise, either subconsciously or purposefully? It makes perfect sense for people to repeat something because it was positively reinforced (through praise and gaining popularity), especially high school kids. If they don?t care about the attention and popularity they gain, why can?t they wait until after school? Wait until they go home or their friend?s house? Wait for a Glowsticking.com meetup? Or even organize their own Glowsticking.com meetup?

The biggest concern of spreading glowsticking this way (in high school), is that the culture and meaning behind the dance often gets lost, much like what mainstream did to bboying. Let?s look at the 2 possible scenarios:

One, you glowsticked at school and got picked on by many of your peers, so you probably won?t do it again in school and that was that.

Tow, you glowsticked at school and received positive responses, gained some attention, popularity, and had some people inquired about it. Let?s consider the best case scenario after that: you understand the culture related to glowsticking pretty well, you understand the philosophy and the non-competitive nature of it, and you explained to your peers all of this when they asked you about glowsticking.

Why do you think your high school peers is now interested in glowsticking? Isn?t it very possible that the positive reinforcements (the praise, the popularity) are their motive? Much like how MTV made bboying the ?cool thing to do,? you have just made glowsticking the cool thing to do amongst your peers.

Perhaps you had the good intention of spreading glowsticking the right way by explaining the culture and philosophy behind the dance, but you have to consider how perceptive your audience would be towards these ideas. It is so easy for people to copy what you are doing without understanding the importance of culture, because they can gain what they want just the same.

It is easy for us to say that culture and philosophy behind glowsticking is important because we care about this dance. But at the same time, we all need to realize that in an environment and mindset where popularity and fitting in is the most important thing, that often overshadows everything else. Just look at what kind of music high school kids listen to, what kind of cloth they wear, or even just how they talk, and maybe you will understand what I mean. Almost everything done in high school is for the same purpose ? fitting in.

That?s why it?s much better to promote glowsticking at a rave, immersed in the culture that glowsticking originated from. People are already used to the ideals and philosophies of tolerance and acceptance, so there is much less of a chance that people will take it out of context. Even at a club that plays electronica (dance music), you can bet the vibe is closer to a rave than when you are in a high school. People go to a club or a rave to have fun, to party, to let loose. People go to school to learn.

Once the culture and meanings are lost, what gets spread around from then on will be the diluted form of the dance. Or even worse, after a friend has taught a friend who has taught a friend, some other ideals that are in direct conflict with what glowsticking should be about gets mixed in there. People who did not care about glowsticking, could very well want to battle each other just because it creates tension and drama that can net them more popularity. ?Let?s see who is the best.? ?Everybody come watch!! We are going to settle this once and for all!?

It may sound like we are saying that, ?if you are still in high school, then you do not have the ability to appreciate and understand the culture and meaning behind glowsticking,? but that?s not the case. There are quite a few Glowsticking.com members who are still in high school, and they live glowsticking.

And that is also not to say that immaturity and high school mentality completely disappears after high school. Of course not, different people grow up at different paces, and some carry high school into college with them. No one instantly grows up on the day of graduation.

You have to understand that we are not discriminating against age, but against the setting (of glowsticking in high school). Because high school is a breeding ground for mainstream, and what is said often was not heard. Of course we want to promote glowsticking, but we also want to promote it correctly. We need to pick our battles carefully, and more often than not, doing it in a high school setting yields more bad than good.

Original discussion is linked here

Q & A

Q: What about promoting glowsticking in college? How is that different than high school?

A: College has more opportunities to explore, more chances to learn about yourself, more people coming from different cultural and experience backgrounds. You are almost forced to learn to be more open minded. The administration in college is usually less strict than high school. Generally speaking, introducing a sub-culture or dance like glowsticking in college is much safer and usually yields much better results than in high school.

Q: I am still in high school, and I am not old enough to go to a rave or a club, but I like to learn about glowsticking and find/hang out people with the same interest. What should I do?

A: You came to the right place! Even though Glowsticking.com has most of its members in the United States, we do have members all over the world. Introduce yourself in our community forum, check out our regional/meetup section. You may be surprised to find that there are more glowstickers around you than you think.

Glowsticking.com meetups are also a great substitute. You can even take the initiative to organize one if no one else around you is. Bring your non-glowsticker friends to a meetup to introduce them to our culture. Ask more experienced members for help if you need to, I am sure any of them will be very eager to answer any questions you have.

Even if there weren?t many glowstickers around you, making friends on our community forum and mingling is a great way to compensate for the distance between all our members.

Q: Isn?t glowsticking about expressing yourself? Tolerance and acceptance? Why are you so strict about glowsticking in high school? I just want to have fun and do whatever!

A: Just because glowsticking is about tolerance and acceptance, it does not mean we should let everyone walk all over us. Just because glowsticking is about expressing yourself, it does not mean you should disrespect this art form that we come to love.

We are willing to explain our points nicely and politely, as we did in this article, and in return, you should respect our culture that goes along with the dance. Help us preserve it, and promote it in the right direction.

It?s fine that you just want to have fun and you don?t care about glowsticking with your heart and soul, but I hope you can at least see that many of us do, so please don?t help destroy it through disrespect.

posted at 20:28:19 on 03/23/06 by mixinluv2u - Category: GS.C: Culture

no, it's not really fine! i don't like doing this but i'm going to spam you! by the way, people will judge you and not everyone will judge you fairly. you may have made some friends, but you've also created some dissenting opinions.

If people judge me or give opinions at least they are judging me as a glowsticker and not a raver. That is why I believe the best way to spread glowsticking is thru high school. So far my interactions with glowsticking at school has been at Home Coming Dance, Latino Dance Night and Physics Class. Everything is working fine, I show people what I can do and they give it a try. Some people take pictures and get impressed at what Exposure can do.

I read the article and the part where it talks that glowsticking is best spread thru raves kinda bothers me because I want to spread what I do but I want to spread it as a glowsticker, not a raver. I learned from GS.C 3 years ago that Raving is the act of going to a rave. If you go to a rave to spread glowsticking, your not really giving the impression of a glowsticker, but of a raver. For someone like me so doesnt ever plan to go to a Rave, I dont see what is soooo bad about spreading it thru High School. The first things you have to clarify in High School is tell people, this is not Raving, what is Raving, and what is Glowsticking. For 3 years it has worked, and Senior Year is going to be my year to hopefully have some more students inspired and know what is what.

djestone

If people judge me or give opinions at least they are judging me as a glowsticker and not a raver. That is why I believe the best way to spread glowsticking is thru high school. So far my interactions with glowsticking at school has been at Home Coming Dance, Latino Dance Night and Physics Class. Everything is working fine, I show people what I can do and they give it a try. Some people take pictures and get impressed at what Exposure can do.

I read the article and the part where it talks that glowsticking is best spread thru raves kinda bothers me because I want to spread what I do I learned from GS.C 3 years ago that Raving is the act of going to a rave. If you go to a rave to spread glowsticking, your not really giving the impression of a glowsticker, but of a raver. For someone like me so doesnt ever plan to go to a Rave, I dont see what is soooo bad about spreading it thru High School. The first things you have to clarify in High School is tell people, this is not Raving, what is Raving, and what is Glowsticking. For 3 years it has worked, and Senior Year is going to be my year to hopefully have some more students inspired and know what is what.

History often repeats itself and the results are usually the same, same kind of questions and answers such as the one you are posing. You believe that the best way to spread glowsticking is thru high school. I beg to differ. Glowsticking hasn't been around forever but here at GSC we believe it as a lifestyle separate from mainstream. Meanings to our art get watered down and diluted as you did in your dances and school. That's fine that you can do those things, and that you come here and use resources at GSC the past three years, but by doing what your doing, people (teenagers) will tend to like it because it looks cool and trendy and they want to be popular and cool and trendy. It is the highschool thing to do. That's reality now. Though you make some valid points, their are more negative results from the matter more so of your promoting. That fact that you chose to do it your way and go against GSC ideas and bringing it into mainstream makes it lose meaning. People who are mainstream don't care about our values. I'm glad you want to show people what you can do in class but why not do it afterschool, say somewhere that isn't for the general public. You could show them at home. You could show them at a park. You could show them at a meet up. And none of these places are raves. You don't have to go to raves. I think your intentions are well, but how will these people at school and dances understand our culture when you haven't really yourself. Oh, and by the way the article said it's "much better to promote glowsticking at a rave, immersed in the culture that glowsticking originated from," and because people here are more tolerant and understanding. Those teens you teach at school will teach other people and their lies even more problems down the rabbit hole. Things like battling come to the forefront by mainstream glowstickers because they got the diluted version. True that raving is the act of going to a rave, but glowstickers also go to raves. I consider myself a glowsticker, not a raver, and I go to raves.

all i can say is good luck glowsticking at school.. but yea like nemester said ull probly regret it.even though im still in middle school glowstringing... i dont show off. i just show em to my friends and thats pretty much it. i think if i even glowstring in public or at school ppl are gonna call me a loser =/ thats my opinion