Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stchuckraver3126

Glowsticking in school?

228 posts in this topic

Im so excited right now. I just got off school a bit ago, and i happened to have some glowsticks with me for drama, and we had a random homeroom thing today. There was a couple other beanos in my class and they wanted me to put on a show for em. I'm not bad at freehand, but i jsut started strings on monday of this week, and i'm pretty much addicted to it now. A teacher that saw me do it thought it was amazing and wants to sponsor a club for me. I'm just gonna do it, because i know if i have to show other people how to do it i'll just practice more and get better, plus starting a club looks good on a college resume. I was wondering if anyone else had a glowsticking club at there school.

Here, take my flame resistant jacket. It will protect you.

Good job selling yourself out of glowsticking. If you cared about the glowsticking culture we have here, don't glowstick at school anymore. Especially don't start a club and put it on a college resume. That's weaksauce.

Down the line, you will regret EVER posting this. You will also regret having glowsticked at school. I've done it before at school and deeply regretted it.

OMG WTF YOU ARE A FUDGING IDIOT

haha jk

do whatever makes you happy...but, becarefull about what you post on gsc... you will get flammed...

and please dont ask why you are getting flammed, it will just make things worse..

maybe this thread should jsut be deleted before anything happens

OR MAYBE WE SHOULD KEEP IT TO BE A REMINDER TO YOU ALL TO NOT FUDGE WITH THE GLOWSTICKERS

people should really read all the things on the front page =/

Yeah... I don't agree with glowsticking in school. Forget it but do w/e you want. lol... But yeah, read the stuff about PLUR n all.

this is so stupid. who cares if someone glowsticks at school.

when did whipping little glowing chemical filled plastic tubes tied to shoestrings become such an elite cultural hobby.

the only reason I see someone not doing it in general public (including my own personal reason) is that I dont want people to look at me and think im some raving drug addict(which im not).

yes it is an art. yes it is a relaxing hobby. but to not want to spread it to the masses , because it would be "selling out" is the most retarded thing I have ever heard.

i wish there was a poi club at my school when i was younger.

dont be selfish. its just for fun.

...flame on!

LoL there are more posts warning this guy of people flaming than actual flame posts.

In my opinion do what you want. Just make sure you teach the culture behind glowstringing and don't develop an elitist (sp?) attitude. High school is an easy place to get popular because of your talents and don't let that get to your head.

On the other hand be careful that some people will come to you wanting to learn the art just to show it off and look cool. Don't make friends like those.

I agree. Who cares? You've got a whole community of people on here doing the same thing in random places of the world. If I never saw anyone messing around with glowsticks, how would I have knows about this art?

If you happen to catch someones attention and they go about learning how to do it, then good for them. Thats one more person that shares a common interest.

Besides, Im sure a Poi Club would be much more exciting than half the clubs at school. It gives those of us that arent interested in academic related after-school activities something to do.

i think the problem here... is that when you join GS.C... theres a big article... which appearantly nobody reads anymore regarding battling, glowsticking in school, and the values of plur. it seems everyone picks up on the plur, maybe because its just so much fun to say, but it seems the beliefs on battling, and glowsticking in school, which are inheirant beliefs OF THIS SITE get overlooked time and time again. so, do what you want, but remember, the beliefs that this site was built around completely shun glowsticking in school. and i'm sure the creator of this site wouldnt really appreciate that...

Obviously some of you don't care because you haven't experienced what happens when you do decide to show off at school. Simply put, none of you guys have glowsticked for that long to appreciate the ideals put on us. Trust me, I used to glowstick back in high school for those dances. I wanted to be that cool guy who could "rave". In the end, no one really cares. People will still look down upon you, because high school is all about being popular. This is WHY you don't do it at high school. College setting might be different...but there's a place and time for everything.

As you mentioned, I'll keep on flaming on. I've experienced a lot about glowsticking and this is the way to go. Feel free to disagree, but you'll regret it later. I certainly did (although I never posted I glowsticked at school before).

Probably the biggest problem is the attention you're getting when you glowstick at school. Almost all the time, inexperienced glowstickers will try and glowstick at school, when in reality they pretty much have no fucking clue what they're doing. The people watching don't know any better, and give you props.

Alright this is what i think...everyone who commented this page is right in one way or another...i dont think glowsticking in school is the worst thing u could do even though the site sort of says that they dont like it...of course u got to keep in mind that it shouldnt be for showing off...if ur doin it to spread the art and have fun while doin it go ahead with the club and enjoy it man...but if ur doin it to show off and look like a bigshot its the worst thing u couldve of done...and i sort of think it would be pretty cool havin a glowsticking club in school...but i look back at some things pple said i im thinkin in the club there might be pple in it to be show offs...but just wactch out for pple like that and remember its about enjoyin the art and having fun...

Well, the main problem about starting a glowsticking club is spreading the ideals to everyone, which is impossible. It's very hard to teach someone what raves and glowsticking is like. If they don't understand it, then there will be more people that are misinformed about what glowsticking and raves really are. You're pretty much right on about everything else though.

tt0xxiicc, you are about another post from being banned again. I don't appreciate you stereotyping everyone here. it doesn't seem like you are really honest right now about what you are doing on GSC.

omgitsryan!

SJestressL

all of you guys think this way because none of you have glowsticked long enough or met other glowstickers or know the culture enough to understand the reasoning behind it.

every time we reached out to high school kids here at GSC, we have absolutely regretted. For every 1/10 that do understand, there are 9 people who think showing off in a high school dance, formal, or an event is "spreading" the culture. it's spreading the culture much llike how krumpin' on MTV or you got served the movie or fast and furious accurately depicts these dances or cultures.

what's wrong with those movies you say? that goes to show you how little you know about any of those cultures, and how you little you know about glowsticking. you obviously haven't read the user agreements, or the PM you get, or anything else on this site besides the downloading of videos.

for that, I would rather delete you guys all, since you guys aren't helping to keep the culture alive, but to do whateevr you want. you can do that by making your own web site community. but not here on my time, other people's money, and NOT on this server.

this must be about the 100x time i've been posting tsince the start of glowsticking.com in 2001/2002 and we've been growing ever since. people seem to agree with the culture here, and i'd rather not wake up in India reading this crap.

The very fact that many of you can't do it outside of school (why not form an informal group of people OUTSIDE of school?) goes to show you how little influence you have amongst your peers at school. What you can't get cool kid 001 from the senior class to hang out with you AFTER school? why not?

if you can't convince people on your own (besides pushing it to their faces in SCHOOL where you should be studying for you SAT's, since SAT scores have dropped the most in what like 30 years??), there is little chance you will REALLY impress them, much like a little dog humping someone's leg because the dog thinks it's impressing the leg.

not to mention school ends at 3:00 PM. that's still daylight out folks.

and who cares if your teacher loves it and thinks it'll get him "down" with the kids. it's frankly irresponsible of him and as soon as one kid gets hit in the nuts, the administration is gonna just ban it. the bad thing about that is that everyone is going to want to do it then-- and all the low-life assholes who think glowsticking is about battling because they really just want to be poppers and bboys but find it harder to impress people without glowsticks in their hands (the total novelty factor sickens me when people use the little practice they have to impress people who don't know better.. glowstringing is the worst since it looks a lot harder than it looks, as opposed to a simple glide or a body wave which can take months and years to pull off.).

omgitsryan!

SJestressL

has has their posting ability removed for 1 day. This is the first warning.

To OMGitsryan-- it's because you are a poist. You aren't a glowstringer. Glowstringing has different connotations and a different set of cuture behind it. Poi is a-cultural. glowsticking defines a culture and keeps to it. you are on glowsticking.com, not homeofpoi. glowsticking.com has more stricter ideals (well, we actually HAVE ideals on what is and what is not to be)

Seriously. Knowing the people I hang out with have these core values that GSC "pushes" on people. Makes things way easier than people just thinking all different things. Like knowing we dont wanna battle, arent into showing off, love it for the art just makes everything smooth.

Like dave and nmestar said , these ideals werent thought up over night. Shit happened and then some other shit happened and the ideals were formed so that stuff wouldn't happen again.

I was never into stringing in HS. I got into it right out of HS so i never had to deal with any of these questions abut whether to do it or not and blah blah blah. But I can understand why people feel this way. It took a few years of being here to finally get it but it does make sense.

Like Dave said YOU might want to start the club with the correct ideals behind it, but lets face it it's HS not everyone who joins would have the same mentality as you. Even if you say "hey guys this is how it is" they can just lie to your face and use what you teach them just to make themselves look good at a stupid dance or something. What does that scenerio give to the culture? Abso-fuckin-lutly nuthin.

I agree, Dave. It's like if you are glowsticking because you just like swinging around glowsticks attacked to strings or tracing yourself with them, then go ahead and show off, try to become popular with it. It's not a big deal except what you are portaying as glowsticking. Giving people who don't know better, differant ideas of what it really is.

BUT, it is when you become a part of the culture behind it, you should fallow it, respect it. If you know about PLUR and the glowsticking background, and continue to do what is said to be disrespectfull to it, then it's your decision, but then you should get out. Go start your own little thing and until you have an understanding of all this, and gain respect for it, don't come back. There are ideals set for a reason here.

JUST MY THOUGHTS... I highly respect this and I believe I have not said anything opposing GS.Cs ideals and still probbably have much to learn so correct me if I'm wrong... =\

I think what dave was trying to say with doing the afterschool thing, was to inform your classmates that you are a glowsticker and if anyone was interested to meet you up somewhere, but the catch is that you tell them that if they are not willing to learn the background and culture of glowsticking(stringing) that they should not come at all.