Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adrillf

Video Reviews

27 posts in this topic

This post has been edited by GSC Staff: You can read the article here:

http://www.glowsticking.com/nu/index.php?itemid=109

This post will be moved to the gsc culture section for archiving.

-------------------------------

Videos and compilations are the attention grabbers of gs.c Many people use gs.c as a place to download videos and not really do much more. However there are a handful of you faithfull members that post and are active members of the gs.c fourms. This rant is for anyone who has downloaded a video and then posted on the thread, "That was cool :dope " and then nothing more.

The first thing that I'd like to remind all of you, is that videos take time and effort to make. As much as everyone would enjoy another Chichago Compilation with people like Wes, Will, Myron, and others it would be almost impossible to pull it off because they're off living their lives and doing more than playing with glowsticks all of the time.

Not only is it difficult to arange a video or to find time to actually record it, it also takes time to put it together. Editing takes time. There are very few cases where editing is completly finished in less than an hour. Editing usually includes taking about a half hour of video and dropping it to only about three and a half minutes. Not only is it hard to edit down that much material, but then there is the selection of music. The music playing during the video can change the feel of the entire thing.

With all of this editing done, the title screen made, the gs.c water mark in thecorner, the music picked and the video hosted online, the video finally finds itself on a thread on gs.c and the only comments the person getsis, "WoW tHaT wAs So KoOl!!11!!" All of that time used, for what comes out to be nothing more than another post for the person that replied.

This rant is about how to give a propper review of a video in two easy steps. There alost of new members out there who don't know hot to write a good review and there are us older members who need a good reminder of what to do when a person actually does put out a video.

Step one: Start with praise. Find anything and everything that you liked with the video. Even if it is horrible quality and all they are doing are figgure eights for three minutes, find something to compliment them on.

Set two: in those compliments try to fit in a few constructive criticisms. Be nice and remember your PLUR during this step. You're reviewing their video to help them grow, not so you can make your own ego grow even bigger. There is a big difference between, "Hey newbie, stop wasting your time and learn something more than a butterfly" and "I liked the music you picked and it's really nice to see that your consistant with your moves. You seem like you really like the butterfly, and I think that it'd help make things look really good if you tried learning some variations on the butterfly"

For a good showing of this, read any review from RG, she's one of the few people left on the fourms that write a kind review that helps your know what you need to improve on, without making your feel like dirt.

If needed, give time stamps when following these two steps. It's much more helpful to say, "The combo at 1:20 was really good," instead of, "I like that one where the glowsticks went around your body"

Remember when you write your reviews to be nice. I am sure that all of us can rember or imagine how stressful it is/was to put up your first video and how nervous you can get whenever anyone replies to it.

For those people that make videos, rembmer that people who write reveiws are doing it to help you. Do not get offended if someone tires to suggest something. No one is perfect. People are just trying to help, so don't start arguing and get upset with them.

For those people who don't know hwere to start on reviewing a video, here are a few places you can start...

Lighting: can you see the person or is it too dark?

Music: does the music work well with the glowsticking?

Editing: is there too much editing or too little editing? What can they do better?

Style: do you like how they dance? Does it look good? Why or why not?

Combinations: do they do the same move 50 times for two minutes straight? Do any combos need improvement? Which combos did you like? What do you think they could do better?

Everyone can do this, even the newest member can write a review of a video of a veteran glowsticker, so go and give it a shot. Next time you watch a video, try writing a short review on it.

Hopefully this rant will help out someone and good reviews willr eturn to the video threads of gs.c.

Also, so you kids can have some practice, hopefully within the next week, I'll release a video and you can try your new found reviewing skills with that one, but we'll see if it makes it past the fearfull gs.c media administrator...CLERIC :biggrin2:

Nice post adrillf, i agree with that.

A lot of people a quick to insult because it takes less time and less vocabulary.

Now complimenting well, it's easy, just "people" think it's hard.

I don't know what else to say other than "Yea dude! ^^^ agreed"

So i will add that i don't post in the vid threads. I stick to the sandbox :inlove: .

Good topic.

LISTEN TO HIM PEOPLE!!! HE BE "QUOTIN' SCRIPTURE"!!

Hey adam, that was a good post. Everyone should read it.

However, I think that more people would pay attention to it if it were shorter. Maybe next time you could abridge it a little.

In the 7th paragraph, you may want to spell out PLUR for the newbs who might not know, k?

awesome

[/sarcasm] XD

but really, it'd be cool if people did this, but for one thing. People are freaking lazy :P

o0o0o thats a good point to make out to some people.

but i think its only the noobs that say things like that because they cant criticise some1 that is better than them.

well they can say whats good but yea.

good read!

lol

but we'll see if it makes it past the fearfull gs.c media administrator...CLERIC :biggrin2:

^^^ THATS ME^^^

and it wont get past. So dont even bother trying.

roflcopter. jk jk :sm_biggrin:

the people that post "that was cool" didnt have time to appreciate much in terms of the video... and i doubt will actually take the time to read the thread = \ kinda sucks...

^^^ THATS ME^^^

and it wont get past. So dont even bother trying.

roflcopter. jk jk :sm_biggrin:

it's because of you, I stopped practicing ;) lol, j/k... I don't have my webcam anymore... I whored it out making all those noobie vids back then... once I find a way to record myself, I'll make a vid again... then I'll find some hosting and post it in the media section...

Nice post. Something I do personally though, is not squeeze in criticisms, but put them at the end. For example:

Hey, x:xx was cool, nice combos, etc

then

"criticisms, tips"

But I'll try doing the squeeze in thing next time, and I'll make sure I review your video :)

Real good post. I agreed with it all the way. Reviews don't have to be nasty, but at the same time they shouldn't be sugarcoated either. I'd actually raher someone not saying anything at all than give poor criticism or the generic "that was cool."...ok, tha's great, but can you say why it was cool? That's what it's all about, helping others progress. If you have something constructive to say, then say it. "That's cool" isn't going to help anyone progress, they'll just end up doing the same stuff they've been doing for years because of a lack of proper criticism.

Even newbies, I can understand that it may be hard to critique veterans because they have a higher skill level and more knowledge of the culture, but if you have questions about what's going on in the vid (because, if it is the case that you may think it was "so cool", I'm sure any of you would have some sort of question about at least one thing done in the vid) then voice them, no matter how stupid you think it sounds, or whatever.

I also agree with Kael on one point that is sad yet also true...people are just really lazy. Even if they have good insight on the whole damn vid, you'd probably have to beat it out of them before you can have a good idea of where to progress, taking into consideration whatever they suggest. I also think the comments of "I'll tell you more later" or "i'm too tired to give a proper critique" are a complete waste of time. If that's the case, then wait till you're more refreshed or whatever the case may be and give the poster something to look foward to, not false hope when they check up on their thread cuz someone posted, only to find a reply of "wait till I'm ready to critique you" basically waiting inside.

And I'll be awaiting that vid. It's been a while.

I would suggest using a slightly different critiquing method from adrilfs, in which the first two steps are the same but an extra step is added on for additional emotional cushion.

This critique method, called "the compliment sandwhich" involves first making a compliment, followed by constructive criticism, then ending on a positive note with another compliment.

This could be modified into GSC critiques by first gathering the positive comments, then negative comments, and splitting the positive comments on either side of the negative comments.

Also, the compliment sandwhich could be followed up with a "for the future" section, in which a user could make suggestions as to what moves the video star could venture into next based on level and current style.

Just my two cents

deff nice post, the whole process does take a lot of time...just learning how to do it took a lot of time...i'm thankful for the vids we have, and ofcourse the dvd...that was awesome and extremely inspirational. the vids are what help us learn as well as share who & what we are and about. one vid goes a long way, the time it took to learn the moves then record & edit, that's inspirational enough, let alone the vid. thank you everyone for your vids...they've helped me out a lot. :inlove:

People are Lazy, this is a well written article Adam. Hopefully the newer members will read it. I would love to see better video reviews written.

I try my best to be a good example, but I think this article will be a bit better.

-RG

In honor of this hitting the main article section, I noticed a few spelling errors that I made, but oh well.. too late now, now it's known to everyone that I can't spell.

*Adrillf re-aplies for the village idiot position on gs.c

Hopefully this will help out at least someone on the threads, if not I'll just randomly reference it to make people remember the stupiditiy of writing dumb reviews.

BUMP! It's time for kids to read this again.

It's been sitting in the back files of gs.c for a while and the new generation hasn't read this yet, so I'm bumping it.

BUMP! It's time for kids to read this again.

It's been sitting in the back files of gs.c for a while and the new generation hasn't read this yet, so I'm bumping it.

lol, me and Ryan010213423423 *How ever many numbers it is* call good reviews "Adrillf reviews"

Everytime i try to give a long lengthy review, i find myself being to mean, i need to work on being nicer... O_O

Not gunna happen, youtube changed everything.

Gah stop being such a downer lol. If you care, write a good review yourself >.>.

The more you give back, the more likely people are to start participate and give back as well.

Gah stop being such a downer lol. If you care, write a good review yourself >.>.

The more you give back, the more likely people are to start participate and give back as well.

I don't review videos publicly anymore, not my thing.

If nobody cared enough when this thread first went up when the problem was first emerging I don't see why anybody will care today. I hope somebody proves me wrong and successfully changes things back to how they used to be in the good ol' days but I seriously doubt that will ever happen. If anybody wants an real review or critique nowadays it always comes on an individual basis from what I've seen.

Honestly I kinda like it when people randomly IM me asking for a real critique on their video that nobody will hear besides the two of us, gives me more room to be honest and have a conversation with the person about their individual style. That didn't happen barely as often before as IM conversations resembled more of what the review threads look like today.

Stuff changes, good and bad. I'm used to it.

I don't review videos publicly anymore, not my thing.

If nobody cared enough when this thread first went up when the problem was first emerging I don't see why anybody will care today. I hope somebody proves me wrong and successfully changes things back to how they used to be in the good ol' days but I seriously doubt that will ever happen. If anybody wants an real review or critique nowadays it always comes on an individual basis from what I've seen.

Honestly I kinda like it when people randomly IM me asking for a real critique on their video that nobody will hear besides the two of us, gives me more room to be honest and have a conversation with the person about their individual style. That didn't happen barely as often before as IM conversations resembled more of what the review threads look like today.

Stuff changes, good and bad. I'm used to it.

So you're saying that it's not worth it any more to give the few people that do post their videos up for critique or just in general a bit more than something along the lines of "cool vid"? Giving feedback is one of the things that keeps the gsc forums alive. Yes aim is a good way to review vids, but if everybody did only that there would be no decent replies in any of the video threads here on the forums. Even if a vid is hosted on youtube it can still be reviewed here.

Just because you personally don't care to review peoples vids or give positive input anymore doesn't mean others don't or won't. At least let this thread have a chance to inspire people to do it.

Cody- I agree with you to an extent. I only review videos that say somewhere in the thread, "please give me an honest critique" or it's someone that has previously sent me a PM or I have some sort of personal relationship with.

It's sad, but a lot of people don't want to hear what other people think, they instead just want to here praise about whatever video they put out, and that's why I limit which videos I review. There are dozens of videos released weekly, and I don't have the time to write reviews about all of them, so why waste my time with a person that doesn't want to hear it?

Do I think being able to review people is dead and gone? Not really because there are a few of us still kicking around that are still writing them. It's just most people don't want to take the time and effort to help out their fellow glowstickers by telling them what they honestly think about their videos.

My opinion about all of this is that if you want to make an impact to glowsticking, help out other people. With a few reviews, a few comments that are actually worth while, and other things like that, suddenly your style, your thoughts, your everything starts to difuse to the rest of the community.