Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arius

How To Get Started

2 posts in this topic

so a friend recently told me about Fruity Loops, so i downloaded the demo version of it and started playing around. 3 hours later, i had some stuff i liked and had come to the conclusion that there are about three things all songs need:

1. A beat, whether its a bass beat, drum set, or cowbell (or whatever, and it can be hidden or blatently obvious).

2. A melody, generally in either voice or notes (synths). This includes melody changes/variations for different effects and parts of the song.

3. Harmony/"frillyness" to make it sound better and unique.

everyone i talk to at school and stuff agrees with me on this (to one extent or another). however, i'm not really sure what to DO with the information. I've been around music all my life (piano since i was like, 7 and trumpet once i got to middle school). I'm in a jazz theory/general theory class right now and i've learned alot about imporving for jazz which i thought might help me make melodies the work and fit within the key. though i'm still struggling, i've never been good at song writing. any general tips/help i can get is much appreciated!

i'm bumping this because once again i'm attempting to make music and once again i'm ready to kill someone. if anyone can give some tips/lessons, i'd be super appreciative. i know music (band class and even took a jazz theory class last year) so i know how things kinda work but i can't figure anything out when it comes to electronics. in jazz you've got your patterns (I, V, III, I (or whatever it actually is)) but that doesn't exist in electronics. i know once i breach this part i can do it, cause i could do it with jazz. any help getting me that first push?