Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Azzie

The Rock Band/Guitar Hero Effect

13 posts in this topic

How do you think that the Guitar Hero/Rock Band phenomena has influenced rock fans? Do you think it's a good way for people to be introduced to classic and current rock and alternative music? Were you introduced to most of your rock through these video games? If so, what about the game made you take an interest in the music? If not, how do you look at people who are now learning about rock through these games?

What do you think is the Rock Band effect?

I'm a big fan of music-genre games, don't get me wrong. But I have to say that it really irks me that people assume Rock Band/Guitar Hero were the first ones. They weren't. Guitar Freaks, and Drummania, both produced by Bemani, the musical development team for Konami, were the first. I think its a great way to get people into music they wouldn't usually listen to. I personally didn't listen to rock of any form at all until most my friends started playing these games. Now I listen to a fair amount, mainly songs and artists I've heard from the games, but I still think its wrong to give them credit for 'breaking the barrier' into the music-game genre.

Oh...I thought you were talking about when you play Guitar Hero for like 6 hours straight and then you look anywhere and things are moving and gliding...yea your eyes actually start to compensate for the scrolling screen and you "hallucinate". That is the true Guitar Hero Effect!

the better you get at rock band/guitar hero, the worse you get at actually playing the guitar/drums

like a lot of things coming out, i think it's stupid. You get a crap load of people thinking that playing guitar hero requires more talent than actually playing guitar or drums or something like that.

Than you also get those fake die hard fans that go "I've been Loving this band since they came out", cause they heard a song on guitar hero and liked it. There's nothing wrong with finding an awesome band on guitar hero, I've found a couple myself just from commercials and stuff.

I think if you can handle it without becoming an asshole that its a fun game, but alot of people just can't

:X:thumbsdown:

I do Rock Band at the Roc Bar in Cleveland :P

It is great...get 3 friends together, go to a bar with $1 drafts and play Rock Band on stage in front of around 50 people at the bar. Sometimes the crowd is bigger or smaller but either way its kind of fun to get on stage in front of people and "pretend" to be a rock star :)

Oh...I thought you were talking about when you play Guitar Hero for like 6 hours straight and then you look anywhere and things are moving and gliding...yea your eyes actually start to compensate for the scrolling screen and you "hallucinate". That is the true Guitar Hero Effect!

oh yea. good stuff.

for the record, i played GH II for a long time striaght, got GH III but my sister beat it for me so i could play all the songs :P i play it when my cousins come over. I'm a fan of Dragonforce now, but not die hard and i wouldn't claim to know them since forever. Now Disturbed or Sum 41 (from the first game)... that I can say more about ^_^

Not assuming that Guitar Hero and Rockband were the first ones, just saying that by the looks of it, those are the ones with the widest scope of influence.

I think that it's great that people are getting exposed to a different genres, especially rock because it is so misunderstood, but I feel it limits people into thinking that's all there is to rock. So many different sounds and depth to rock...eh...but that's just me, wanting people to listen to good music.

:P

First off I didn't read all the posts but...

I was watching mtv2 at work (I don't have cable at home) and they were having a battle of the bands rockband2 where they had rockband "bands" come up on stage and perform songs using rockband. It was quite awesome in my opinion.

they can be intense. i remember a contest my friends were in for GHIII. they dressed up as KISS and had a whole routine planned out (played behind their heads, played each other's guitars, stuff like that). they got 2nd place by one point :(

I wanna be in on one of those... sounds so awesome O=

What will really make me happy is when they start incorparating metal that actually has real talent behind it. Some real influential sh*t. They FINALLY brought out "Between The Buried and Me" in rock band 2, but they didn't have the full version of the song! I guess they don't like 8 minute songs in these games unless is Freebird! Boooo!

I wanna see bands like Protest the Hero, Born of Osiris, Behold...the Arctopus, Red I Flight and August Burns Red! Everyone has heard all the mainstream crap they put into these games since the songs came out between the 60's and 90's. They need to incorporate newer sh*t. Sh*t most people have never heard of that will blow their skulls off when they hear how awesome it is. Screw Guitar Hero Aerosmith. We need a Guitar Hero "Progressive Metal"! Something for people who have some real skillz in the game that THINK they're good until these bands conquer their souls! FOR REAL!

^^WHAT?!?!?^^

Dragonforce isn't talented?!?!? PSH!!!

Dragonforce, Blind Guardian, Children of Bodom, Edguy...those are EXCELLENT musicians.

ii so im one of those ppl that learn about rock through theses games nd the reason i got like trap into these games was cuz i play drums nd i was like yes finally music game ...nd the drums on rock band were an extra

xD