Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cynicdave

Devil's Advocate: When it would be okay perform in front of a large crowd and not be at a rave?

50 posts in this topic

Dry inside, but does that means everyone that comes in is dry?

Don't give the impression that you aren't.

what does my personal preference on if i'm sober or not have to do with whether or not to stick at a dry club?

What I was getting at is how is this different than a school dance? It is still largely the group of individuals we don't like to associate glowsticking with. Not to mention the fact that just because they say its a dry club doesn't mean that drugs and alcohol aren't used prior to entering the building. If you have glowsticks it may give the wrong impression that maybe you did (not saying that you did), but its the reason we don't like glowsticks and high school.

Scenario 1: You've got a live video feed running on ustream. There are several other glowstickers with webcams as well as many gsc members who are just there to watch. You glowstick and share moves and ideas with the others in the ustream chat.

Scenario 2: You're at a gsc meetup and you're taking turns glowsticking in a circle.

- Alternate scenario 2 - You're at a gsc meetup, crack sticks in an isolated area and suddenly a crowd forms around you.

Scenario 3: You raise goats and have a large herd of them. The days chores are over and the sun is setting. You go out in the field and crack some sticks, to be watched intently by your 200 goats that want nothing more than to nibble your glowsticks. (Sorry had to throw some humor in, it's plausible at least lol.)

Other than those few scenarios I can think of no good reason to be glowsticking in front of a crowd.

im not trying to flame but this is so lol stupid. so we can glowstick but we can't show anyone? im sorry thats so freaking stupid. im sorry that rule just makes me so mad. its likee "glowstickign is amazing and its a wonderful art BUT DONT YOU FUCKING TELL ANYONE ABOUT OR WE'LL FREAKING KILL YOU!!!!!!!!" yuor gonna sya people see glowsticks and automatically assume "TR1PPY LIGHTEZZZZZZZZ DOOOOOOD" but are you forgetting where GLOWSTICKING and not poi came from? raves. why did they use glowsticks ther eand develope the glowsticking style? because its

TRIPPY LIGHTS! im sorry if i offended

im not trying to flame but this is so lol stupid. so we can glowstick but we can't show anyone? im sorry thats so freaking stupid. im sorry that rule just makes me so mad. its likee "glowstickign is amazing and its a wonderful art BUT DONT YOU FUCKING TELL ANYONE ABOUT OR WE'LL FREAKING KILL YOU!!!!!!!!" yuor gonna sya people see glowsticks and automatically assume "TR1PPY LIGHTEZZZZZZZZ DOOOOOOD" but are you forgetting where GLOWSTICKING and not poi came from? raves. why did they use glowsticks ther eand develope the glowsticking style? because its

just warning you that about 5 people will prob link you the gsc historical/cultural propaganda, and they might possibly try to put a jihad on you.

cyanide66 was right. and Im the first :)

http://www.glowsticking.com/forums/Crews-H...ure-t14875.html

Read this post. If you still have the same mentality after that, obviously you didn't read it.

If you read it and still think GSC says "DONT EVAR TELL NOONE CAUSE WE KEILLL U"... then like I said before, you obviously didn't read it.

Get to know the culture before you bash it please.

yea man ur goin a bit far. The main reason we are careful about showing people, is because most people would just see it as most other talents (for personal gain and money). We're not tryin to keep it a secret, we just want to slowly spread it very carefully explaining the culture and how glowsticking is a passion and a beautiful art, and its for the people who really care about the art, not themselves and try to make a social and/or moneitary profit.

If you really think glowsticking can be used to show off, then tht shows you really dont care about it, and we recommend you join a site that agrees with those views (and there are sites that do support that), or just stop participating in it completely.

yea man ur goin a bit far. The main reason we are careful about showing people, is because most people would just see it as most other talents (for personal gain and money). We're not tryin to keep it a secret, we just want to slowly spread it very carefully explaining the culture and how glowsticking is a passion and a beautiful art, and its for the people who really care about the art, not themselves and try to make a social and/or moneitary profit.

If you really think glowsticking can be used to show off, then tht shows you really dont care about it, and we recommend you join a site that agrees with those views (and there are sites that do support that), or just stop participating in it completely.

yeah i read that cultural post when i joined. its very weird. i agree with it all except were not allowed to perform. your like "glowsticking=drugs to most people" not really. ive strung all over and peoplecome up to me and they dont ask me qwhat drugs im doing they ask about how i learned it and stuff like that. im sorry i just think this is a terribly dumb rule. and the aprt about not sticking at HS cuz high school kids are immature... i have an idea.... how bout, now stay with me here,,,, how bout we LET THIM BE IMMATURE!!!!! its their loss. btw, when did i say it was used to show off. i never said i was going to show off. and to the guy who said i think hink GSC says "DONT EVAR TELL NOONE CAUSE WE KEILLL U"" your taking it out of concept so you can flame me. i was using a metaphor. its like if we show anyone glowsticking they HAVE to be other glowstickers. thats just stupid

yeah i read that cultural post when i joined. its very weird. i agree with it all except were not allowed to perform. your like "glowsticking=drugs to most people" not really. ive strung all over and peoplecome up to me and they dont ask me qwhat drugs im doing they ask about how i learned it and stuff like that. im sorry i just think this is a terribly dumb rule. and the aprt about not sticking at HS cuz high school kids are immature... i have an idea.... how bout, now stay with me here,,,, how bout we LET THIM BE IMMATURE!!!!! its their loss. btw, when did i say it was used to show off. i never said i was going to show off. and to the guy who said i think hink GSC says "DONT EVAR TELL NOONE CAUSE WE KEILLL U"" your taking it out of concept so you can flame me. i was using a metaphor. its like if we show anyone glowsticking they HAVE to be other glowstickers. thats just stupid

most people who do think ur on drugs or associate glowsticking with drugs, won't come up and talk to you because most people don't like drugs(users). so the fact that the people who did come up to you had a positive vibe does not mean that there are none with a negative vibe or view on you.

do you understand this. sometimes you only see one side. in my country immigrants have a bad reputation in the media, why....you only notice the bad ones and the stealing ones. the immigrants who work hard and participate and stuff, are not newsworthy for papers. again an example you only see one side of a group but there is another side of that group which...is even bigger.

for your highschool kids statement. i agree to let them be immature and i don't think anyone here will disagree with you. but this immaturity is why a lot of them can't handle glowsticking. i'll explain this for you.

1. because they are immature popularity and what others think of you is very important this is beacause teenagers are creating an identity and measure themselves to what others say about them.(proven art of growing up if you like i'll scan my textbook for you) so we know now that they want to be popular. glowsticking looks cool to a lot of people thus if i'm thinking like a HSkooler if i glowstick i am cool. this phenomenon attract other people from that age and brain patterns creating glowsticking in a high school fad. this fad will whore out the glowsticking culture and environment.

2. because glowsticks are associated with drugs and raving. these kids will get interested in drugs and raves. they will learn about drugs and raves. they will go to raves and use drugs. being their age they don't fully understand the concequences of using drugs. i believe that if someone wants to use drugs they have to decide for themselves. as long as it's controlled and thought about extensively i believe an individual can judge themselves if they should use drugs.

i do not believe a high school students has the capacity to do this. again if you like i can show you a piece from my books about child development to adolescents.

3. as a result of 2. these kids are bound to be cought with drugs or sum in that direction giving the glowsticking culture a bad name. now it comes in the news. 4 thirteen year old kids caught on an illegal rave with drugs, the reason they stated for being there was to glowstick. this would be bad news since so many clubs don't want glowsticks in in the us and since some states want to label them drug parahanalia. you could be thinking liberal, but if it cuts your own fingers...maybe it's just ignorance.

for performing for crowds or for money

crowds: in this crowd will be a lot of people who will like the show. and a lot who don't. most of the people who do like it are not interested enough to ask more about it or find out about glowsticking. but if they would read a paper or watch the news with a negative article on raves with glowsticks. they will associate it with your show destroying the positive thought they had. all because they know only what they hear in the news instead from us who want to break the drug association.

the people who do not like it will rabble about oh thats an airhead or he's rolling what a retard or e-tard. these words could be heard by other bystanders who get convinced destroying their positive view..and so on.

money: now this is your bread, your income, your living. this is important and a primary need in your life. a performer has an instable excistance most of the times so it is likely that it's hard to survive out there. this means you have to stand out of the crowd of performers. be special have something real cool. this thing that seperates you from the rest...would you share this and enabling other performers to be just like you or better. i think not because they will eat the bread that should be yours right. now we have egocentric performers who fail to share but still want as many input from others as possible so they steal but do not share ideas with others. this will screw the nice losse feeling of being together and helping eachother.

i heard you refering to where glowsticking began and why(in your opinion). you said at raves. i think you care about this heritance and where it originated. so u care about the ravescene and i think you care about where plur stands for sice those are connected. with eachother.

*i want to let you know that this is my interpretation of what you said, this means i could be wrong*

but if you do care about plur then the scenario of egocentric performers will not sound attractive to you.

i end my preech here and i hope you understand this all a bit better now.

you can still have your own opinion this all was to persuave u

Hah. Does anyone else find this raping of the english language hillarious?

People will never take you seriously unless you can demonstrate some literacy.

LOL seriously...

But on a side note. I just want to reply to the few things I understood out of that post.

The reason we don't encourage glow sticking in high-school is because the teenagers that attend High-school are immature.

Now you said "how bout we LET THIM BE IMMATURE!!!!!" (actual quotation of his text, not mis-spelling)

Yea, we can let them be immature, and glow stick in school. Yet, people who have done this have gotten ridiculed, humiliated, and even physically beaten up.

What the hell is the point of putting yourself through all that shit unless you want to show off????

If you want to show someone from school. Don't show them at school. Hang out with em after school where you can get a 1-on-1 discussion and REALLY explain the culture.

Also, much like invisigoth said, the only reason no one comes up to you and says "hey what drugs are you on?" or things like "don't only people who are high do that" is because that would be effin pointless.

If you saw a guy on the street who was obviously high, would you approach him and be like "dude what drugs are you on???" or say "dude why are you waving at 'pony's'? Don't people only do that when they are high?????"

No. You would simply say to yourself, "wow, that guy must be high" and proceed to walk away.

If you don't agree with Glowsticking.com, their ideals, their culture, or their rules... Why do you insist on staying here and telling us we have stupid rules???

lolwut.jpg

i was typing quickly so i misspelled alot. if you can only find my grammar suitable to retaliate against than leave the post. its done. the convo is over. you guys dont want to show anyone glowsticking because they automatically think were on drugs. what i want to ask is this "is everyone on this website a sober raver? im pretty sure they're not" anyway this is over. no more replys please

also, to the guy that asked why im still here. i agree with ALL of the rules except for dont glowstick in front of non glowstickers that arent your close friends. now that i asked on the post, i understand it. i just disagree. done.

i was typing quickly so i misspelled alot. if you can only find my grammar suitable to retaliate against than leave the post. its done. the convo is over. you guys dont want to show anyone glowsticking because they automatically think were on drugs. what i want to ask is this "is everyone on this website a sober raver? im pretty sure they're not" anyway this is over. no more replys please

also, to the guy that asked why im still here. i agree with ALL of the rules except for dont glowstick in front of non glowstickers that arent your close friends. now that i asked on the post, i understand it. i just disagree. done.

Im not "some guy", there is a reason for having screen names. To use them.

And like I said, you obviously didnt read that post. We don't say "dont show anyone because they will automaticly think you are one drugs."

If your going to show people, make sure they know what your doing, the culture behind it, and that just because we glowstick DOES NOT mean we do drugs.

What does it matter if people on this site do drugs or not? it is their own personal choice tha has NOTHING to do with the fact they glowstick.

Im not "some guy", there is a reason for having screen names. To use them.

And like I said, you obviously didnt read that post. We don't say "dont show anyone because they will automaticly think you are one drugs."

If your going to show people, make sure they know what your doing, the culture behind it, and that just because we glowstick DOES NOT mean we do drugs.

What does it matter if people on this site do drugs or not? it is their own personal choice tha has NOTHING to do with the fact they glowstick.

it actually has a lot to do with it jin. GS.C (myself included) wants to stop the stereotype that glowsticks=drugs but if you glowstick, are a member of GS.C, and do drugs, doesn't that defeat the purpose. like i said before, this is over. could an admin please lock this post

it actually has a lot to do with it jin. GS.C (myself included) wants to stop the stereotype that glowsticks=drugs but if you glowstick, are a member of GS.C, and do drugs, doesn't that defeat the purpose. like i said before, this is over. could an admin please lock this post

no. peopel can continue to discuss if they want.

but I think people should stop replying with pictures, it gets kind of annoying. >.> at least put an explanation

this section of the forums is for a lots of discussion, im not locking it right now. sorry

first off. this isnt ment to sound mean and if it does im terribly sorry.

the thing is, the rule isnt there to put anyone down or to completely generalize the highschool population as a collection of nit-whits. in my experiece, and alot of other members experiences, the majority of highschool students tend to deal in sterio types and "absolutes". thats not to say that everyone in school is going to see it that way, you being a perfect example.

when i first started stringing i got a lot of crap from other people. people i didnt know coming up to me and asking if i had any x. my friends just saw it as something cool to start with but as i did it more and more they just got annoyed with it and saw me as kind of a show off and it hurt some of my friendships.

going out and practicing out side and in parks in stuff is actually incuraged. going out on a street corner and asking for money for it is not, thats a cultural matter that im sure you are already informed on.

the point of this post is that, there is no cut and ry rule for this. hangin out with your friends after school, sure, they know whats up, you can explain things to them that they dont quite get about the history and background information. otherwise, i and many members, as you can see, feel that its best that it stay out of school and the performances be kept to a minimum. this is the best way we can think of to keep the art as pure as possible, and to keep the younger/ newer members out of as much trouble as possible and to prevent them from going through alot of the struggles that the older members have

Ryan

Fault in the logic of the original "how do you spread the culture if no one sees you because you don't perform" argument - people do see glowstickers. When they string and/or FREEHAND (^.^) at raves, EDM events, meet-ups, et cetera.

And uhm, my response to the ORIGINAL question:

When giving a demonstration to a bunch of people who are learning. ^.^ Yeah, there's lots of people there, and generally there's a huge crowd surrounding said meet-up. And yes, you will answer every single question that crowd asks with something appropriate.

Well, my school is making the district championship and where having a huge peprally at our field you see, They decide to get the whole glow in the dark drumline things going and ask me and my mate to string using the school colors. Now the crowd will be about 200-500 people. Its for highschool i understand this. But considering there buying the ultras and such is this a bad idea?

But the only time ive stringed infrount of people was at my mates party they where in there little E world and they wanted a show so... is that okay?

Well, my school is making the district championship and where having a huge peprally at our field you see, They decide to get the whole glow in the dark drumline things going and ask me and my mate to string using the school colors. Now the crowd will be about 200-500 people. Its for highschool i understand this. But considering there buying the ultras and such is this a bad idea?

But the only time ive stringed infrount of people was at my mates party they where in there little E world and they wanted a show so... is that okay?

i personally thin kit would be fine as long as you give a little 30 second intro about the culture and how its an art form and it isn't about drugs. by the way, let me loan you my flame resistant jacket.

i personally thin kit would be fine as long as you give a little 30 second intro about the culture and how its an art form and it isn't about drugs. by the way, let me loan you my flame resistant jacket.

Yeah, the School Headmaster got the idea from my english teacher who does fire poi. Shes seen me string and thought it be need to do try it so its not like i asked to and anything.

And ive already got my speach ready because everyone " knows" im a big "anti Drug" Type of guy and that i do it for the poi.

Got another idea...

Someone writes play or broadway-style show in which a rave scene occurs, is based on rave-life or EDM events or the people that go to them, and the script calls for improv glowstick skills for x amount of time.

Then what? Do you as an actor or dancer or singer not participate in the show because of this, refuse that particular role in the show, or do it regardless of being paid or not?

What about Cirque du Soliel? Say their director/creator wants actual freehanders/glowstringers on the back wall/platforms of one of his new shows as background art, not a showcase of some kind. Is that wrong of him? I mean, more than likely, he's going to go recruit some fire poi people and have them on stage in a showcase but as something in the background, he'd probably find a way to integrate that into show if he wanted. *shrug* It's just an idea.

yeah i read that cultural post when i joined. its very weird. i agree with it all except were not allowed to perform.

why do you feel that you have to perform in front of people?

To alot of us, glowsticking is something we do for ourselves. We have no motivation behind us except ourselves and other glowstickers. When I stick, I dont care if people yell my name out, or clap and cheer or what not. I am not paying attention to them. I am focusing on my sticks, and the music.

As for the question about glowstickers who use substances: There is a diffrence about being smart and safe when taking anything and running around an event trying to glowstick while completely fucked up. Alot of glowstickers that I talk to that have taken a substance are very mature about the situation and are smart about what they are doing. They are not the stereotypical e-tard that people tend to see when they go to events. They do not make a fool of themselves or get messed up beyond return.

IMO, the gsc mindset about the drug stereotype is that not everyone who glowsticks is a 'drug addict'. We are trying to pull away from the image of being recognized as drug pushers, and alot of them show this by either being sober or being safe and aware of the situation when they do take something. Noone is perfect, and I cannot say that every person on GSC has never taken something in their entire life, but I am glad that we are striving from the stereotype that everyone has been accused of.