Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cynicdave

Devil's Advocate: When it would be okay perform in front of a large crowd and not be at a rave?

50 posts in this topic

Once again, it's devil's advocate.

For an explanation and the previous post here: http://www.glowsticking.com/forums/Devil-s...ool-t16135.html

Can anyone come up with anything?

Also i fully expect first tries to not quite fly..

please use a list format.. so other people can add conditions and edit them

Format

Scenario X

- blah blah blah

- blah blah blah

- blah blah blah

Scenario 1: You've got a live video feed running on ustream. There are several other glowstickers with webcams as well as many gsc members who are just there to watch. You glowstick and share moves and ideas with the others in the ustream chat.

Scenario 2: You're at a gsc meetup and you're taking turns glowsticking in a circle.

- Alternate scenario 2 - You're at a gsc meetup, crack sticks in an isolated area and suddenly a crowd forms around you.

Scenario 3: You raise goats and have a large herd of them. The days chores are over and the sun is setting. You go out in the field and crack some sticks, to be watched intently by your 200 goats that want nothing more than to nibble your glowsticks. (Sorry had to throw some humor in, it's plausible at least lol.)

Other than those few scenarios I can think of no good reason to be glowsticking in front of a crowd.

4: You're sticking for some type of non-profit organization show that does not involve any type of high-school student, and you give an intro-spiel about how glowsticking=/=drugs.

EDIT: This looks weird, sticking for some type of non-profit show. How about a "talent" (GASP I USED THE WORD) show where all proceeds are going to charity. And everyone at the show is a college+ age group.

I always had a question about this one, what about if i was just so happen to be at someones Wedding, and i wanna dance on the floor to get some major money (you know, the dance where people stick money on you) . What if i cracked some ultras, got the dance, and escaped before i had to surrender my money to the other dancers ?

edit: wedding not funeral >.>

How about a Modern Art museum where different forms of modern dance/art are performed during sessions throughout the day with various aspects and history of the dance given in lectures to visitors of the establishment.

Another take on that would be as Dave had stated, in a college/university where people were in a Art/Dance class that explored how people can express themselves through different forms of art from dance, music, visual arts, performing arts etc. or a class on how different forms of art can be integrated.

Also, how about a science class exploring the physics of stringing or freestyle with live capture video that can slow down or stop the various moves to explain different properties such as inertia, rotational energy, launch angles, acceleration chemical reactions, heat transfer, light waves and stuff like that.

:D

How about a Modern Art museum where different forms of modern dance/art are performed during sessions throughout the day with various aspects and history of the dance given in lectures to visitors of the establishment.

Another take on that would be as Dave had stated, in a college/university where people were in a Art/Dance class that explored how people can express themselves through different forms of art from dance, music, visual arts, performing arts etc. or a class on how different forms of art can be integrated.

Also, how about a science class exploring the physics of stringing or freestyle with live capture video that can slow down or stop the various moves to explain different properties such as inertia, rotational energy, launch angles, acceleration chemical reactions, heat transfer, light waves and stuff like that.

:D

The first two are definitely cool.

The last one I really like the idea XD, but no one would really understand what glowsticking is in anyway since it's not a class to teach the backgrounds of glowsticking, it's to teach physics. If you did explain the culture to the science class, it would just sound stupid and be a waste of everyone's time in my opinion haha.

How about..

there is a large gathering of people partying and dancing

it started with a dj playing some music in a public place

there's people kick boxing about 15 meters away, just for fun

there's people spitting too, and then theres hackey sack heads,

poppers here and there, but they aren't battling, they are just having a great time

everyone is highly supportive of everyone and their alternate sets of interests

there is lots of love in the air, and the dj wants everyone dancing

people from all sorts of different backgrounds are spontaneously mingling

strangers are dancing with each other, nobody has paid for this party nor received any notification it was goin on, but it is the most bumpin event youve been to in months, in terms of better vibes than recent rave parties even

and hey you got glowsticks in your pocket... O.o

^^^ lol um im at a friends house and we got the beers going and the b****s passin and we got that fire house music on.... we got all the honeys danceing and hey i reach in my pocket and magically 2 ultras and my strings are in it...... hehehehehe

^^^ lol um im at a friends house and we got the beers going and the b****s passin and we got that fire house music on.... we got all the honeys danceing and hey i reach in my pocket and magically 2 ultras and my strings are in it...... hehehehehe

Situation 5-

You were asked to perform at a Luau by a friend, and they want you to spin fire. It rains, Luau moves inside, fire code doesn't allow you to spin fire inside, you use ultras instead.

^Happened to me a while ago.

Situation 6: A friend of the family is dying of cancer and you are holding a benefit for said friend. Said friend requests that you string for him, on stage, almost like a last wish.

so its okay to do it for a talent show right?

cause i am planning on doing it for a church talent show thing we are doing at night and stuff :D

It wouldnt be a very good idea in my opinion unless you talked a little bit about the culture at the beginning of it.

Just something simple like what they said in the chicago compilation "we don't have any crews or battles, we're just a bunch of friends who get together do what we do." or something that's concise and cool.

The other thing is that in talent show's there's always the competition factor which we look down upon in glowsticking. While having it in a talent show is very different from a glowsticker on glowsticker, it's still very frownd upon because it gives the image that glowsticking CAN be used for competition, and people who see might try to copy and try to have their own competitions and what not, you know what I'm saying?

If it's just a showcase then I'd go with the statement I said then it'd be cool.

Stringin at a party, tons of other people are stringing and sticking. Its whatever.

Your friends are leaving so you leave with them, you just follow, but keep stringing, following behind.

You stop, realize you've walked past several clubs,bars,and other places where tons of people are standing outside and have been watching you walk down the street stringing...

What do you do?

Pay more attention to your surroundings?

C'mon man you should know you're walking down the street. Its innappropriate and can give people the wrong impression of you.

Pay more attention to your surroundings?

C'mon man you should know you're walking down the street. Its innappropriate and can give people the wrong impression of you.

Seriously, it would just look extremely awkward stringing down a sidewalk with three or four of your friends. I'm sure people at the clubs would say something, and one out of the lot of you wouldn't respond, nor notice them saying something?

Not a plausible scenario. D:

a modern dance "showcase" (not sure if that the right word for it) where you are required to give a breif history lesson of the dance that you are about to perform?

Seriously, it would just look extremely awkward stringing down a sidewalk with three or four of your friends.

Walking around with glowing sticks in your pockets can be extremely awkward.

I've strung on the Sidewalk in the Downtown area of the town nearby. Though mostly to answer the question "Why is your pocket glowing?"

I was filming with a friend in a local park in a secluded spot. But walking back I got stopped a few times and asked about the sticks. I'd explain what glowsticking is, a little on the culture (mostly sticks =/= drugs), i was stringing at the time so a little Poi talk was thrown in, and if they were interested in anything to check out glowsticking.com. While talking i'd idly do some simple stringing stuff, sometimes explain a little and alot of people fell victim to the "ohh, glowy things" effect and came over to watch/investigate. But the longest I stayed in one spot was about...10 minutes. I think the largest number of people was...maybe 15?

but it's not everyday you'll be walking around at night with cracked sticks in your pockets unless you were out filming, coming back from a party, or maybe a GS.c meet up. so I suppose this one could be out as it's pretty conditional ^^;

On an unrelated note: I also probably shouldn't post when sleep deprived, i get all rambly... >.>

Walking around with glowing sticks in your pockets can be extremely awkward.

When I practice about, I make sure it's with dead sticks as to NOT attract attention, it's bad enough that I like to practice around.

And we all have our rambling moments, I do the same. ^^;

what if there is a dry dance club event being put on in your area?

in all essence, this dry club is the same as a real one; same music, same lights, multiple levels and platforms even. excpet it's dry and targets high school kids (freshman to age 19 are allowed in). basically just meant as a safe place for underage kids to go and experience the club scene and to have fun. if this club holds these dry nights, is it okay to stick? cause it's still at the club and it's still going out dancing, it's just with all people my age or younger.