Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zin

Suspensions and Bans for Supporting Competition

282 posts in this topic

LOL NOT ALL THE PEOPLE WHO WENT KNEW ABOUT THE COMPETITION. lololol

Hence we arent even discussing the other people that went.

:biggrin2:

Obviously I didn't read every 150+ line post but it seems that I should ask permission to post for an event which promotes battling? That way GsC can then try to change the promoters minds? Is that what I am reading? Well if it is then that's fine, wasn't planning on posting any events here as this site is all about the art of sticks so..... I can't say that I agree or disagree. If this has been an ongoing issue then what ever decision came of it all is probably the correct one. As for my stance on DJ'ing a party that promotes battles..well its simple most battles I have seen are hip hop orientated and I do not spin drip drop. If you do then more than likely it isn't a party where glowstickers are going to be a dominating factor and you shouldn't post an event about that here.... just my opinion though. Oh and Rai...thats a cool ass signature you got there , freaked me out lol I thought there was some crazy reflection going on or maybe a flashback hahaha PEACE

People don't read too well lol.

JellybeanX wasn't banned, deleted, suspended temporarily because he DJed at some lame party.

it's because he was a long time member who knew about all of the glowsticking.com rules and still choose to shrug his shoulders and not do the bare minimum of work to try and fix this. ONE competition changes about 500 people's minds at once, forever associating glowsticking with competitions.

being a long time member, he could have done the easy thing and just let us know. no matter how many times zin made his thread invisible, and even had an IM conversation to actually point it out, he didn't give a shit.

glowsticking.com is an avenue for promotion that I built up over the years with the help of the community, with a shitload of money invested into this. you guys can talk all you want about YOUR careers. But what if it impedes on glowsticking.com's progress and ideals? How selfish are all you guys? In any case, it's fucking bullshit. You would rather be selfish and promote yourself because of the economy sucks and take a massive shit on glowsticking.com and our mission just cause you need a few bucks?

In that case, don't use the site and waste the server resources. Go on youtube and jerk off to that. Don't come here pretending to be about the glowsticking scene and promoting your stupid ass career here. We don't need to make it available to you. Being on this site is voluntary, and our granting of access to this site is voluntary.

Fuck you. Maybe I should help MY career and charge for any DJ who wants to promote here. The economy sucks. so why not? Maybe i should just charge anyone who doesn't make videos or is sucky.

This is what's wrong with the world today. Too many people who do this for themselves, and not for the betterment of the scene. Too many people who are ME FIRST.

GSC is about an ideal. People who have influence on this site have em. The people who don't, don't. All you assholes who want to just use this site for self promotion, screw you, you will lose your legal right to use this site and your IP addresses have been recorded. sure, you can go proxy in here or find some other way into the site, but think about how lame you are first for doing that.

This is just another version of stealing ultras in an ultra circle, taking money from a collection plate, stiffing your friends on the dinner check, and taking more than your fair share.

Those people are thieves.

People don't read too good lol.

JellybeanX wasn't banned, deleted, suspended temporarily because he DJed at some lame party.

it's because he was a long time member who knew about all of the glowsticking.com rules and still choose to shrug his shoulders and not do the bare minimum of work to try and fix this. ONE competition changes about 500 people's minds at once, forever associating glowsticking with competitions.

being a long time member, he could have done the easy thing and just let us know. no matter how many times zin made his thread invisible, and even had an IM conversation to actually point it out, he didn't give a shit.

glowsticking.com is an avenue for promotion that I built up over the years with the help of the community, with a shitload of money invested into this. you guys can talk all you want about YOUR careers. But what if it impedes on glowsticking.com's progress and ideals? How selfish are all you guys? In any case, it's fucking bullshit. You would rather be selfish and promote yourself because of the economy sucks and take a massive shit on glowsticking.com and our mission just cause you need a few bucks?

In that case, don't use the site and waste the server resources. Go on youtube and jerk off to that. Don't come here pretending to be about the glowsticking scene and promoting your stupid ass career here. We don't need to make it available to you. Being on this site is voluntary, and our granting of access to this site is voluntary.

Fuck you. Maybe I should help MY career and charge for any DJ who wants to promote here. The economy sucks. so why not? Maybe i should just charge anyone who doesn't make videos or is sucky.

This is what's wrong with the world today. Too many people who do this for themselves, and not for the betterment of the scene. Too many people who are ME FIRST.

GSC is about an ideal. People who have influence on this site have em. The people who don't, don't. All you assholes who want to just use this site for self promotion, screw you, you will lose your legal right to use this site and your IP addresses have been recorded. sure, you can go proxy in here or find some other way into the site, but think about how lame you are first for doing that.

This is just another version of stealing ultras in an ultra circle, taking money from a collection plate, stiffing your friends on the dinner check, and taking more than your fair share.

Those people are thieves.

I like the way you word things...nice n blunt. I am not trying to promote my career I wanted to see where GsC stood vs my opinion...which they coincide AND like I said , this seems to be an ongoing issue so I (me Jasen Raven J) feel that the admins more than likely made the right decision and if not then.... w/e I can't nor want to change that. Anyhow this whole thing makes me think of what PLUR means or should. So in the words of RODNEY "ow uh oh stop stop thats not right"

LOL PEACE POT an MICRODOTS

hey dave.

i don't think its that people can't read well, its just that most of the people posting now are just too fuking lazy to read the entire thread, and are posting in manners unrelated to the original topic.

overall i am just getting mad because this is just developing into a major flame war. from the first, ohhh, 4 pages, i think i learned some valuable information, but after that it just went towards making my eyes hurt.

this is definitely too much for this early in the morning

and that is one crazy sig rai. i almost thought something was wrong with my monitor for a second.

Guest Blitz

i think this whole thing could just be settled through a glowstick battle... :rolleyes:

blitz:

it's amazing how many times you have some kind of snide thing to say and disagree completely with every staff decision and have never been banned because we as a community turn the other cheek EVERY TIME.

Dave i really did appreciate the Last post a lot...If people DID read it...and DID understand it, maybe people on this site might actually grow up. Look at half the Members on this site, the hardcore members, the ones who have jobs, who throw down money for their art, not glowstring on the corner for their next pair of glowsticks like a fucking prostitute fucks for her next hit of Drugs. We have personal lives that enable us to actually continue on this site. We respect the art and what we love, we have ideals we live by, and ways of life.

I have a J-O-B....yes..a JOB! That J-O-B pays me M-O-N-E-Y. With that Money i go and buy glowsticks, strings, hell tickets to the next event. With that money hell i could invest in DJ equipment and Start DJ'ing. I could support myself, i know many others here who have their own JOBS, to support what they love and their life.

Maybe also if people were better DJ's they wouldn't have to fucking worry about their next gig, or taking any gig that comes especially dealing with battling. Maybe if people had balls they would say something. Start being leaders and not followers. Stand up for what you live for and love. Me i love glowsticking, the culture, every aspect of the art. Even though i am not on the site i rock a GsC hat to work, it's what I live for, its what i love, and i don't let anything get between it.

Guest Blitz
blitz:

it's amazing how many times you have some kind of snide thing to say and disagree completely with every staff decision and have never been banned because we as a community turn the other cheek EVERY TIME.

ban me then, shit dude

you take things way too seriously. glowsticking is supposed to be fun, it's not supposed to be a heirarchy. i respect what you have done, and i understand you want to protect certain ideals, but YOU have to understand that not everyone here has your level of commitment to this site. Understand that not everyone thinks the way you do. But I guess it's your site, so if someone disagrees, fuck em

Thats the real "glowsticking culture" after all. That's how it's always been.

Guest Blitz
You can just leave =).

aww but i want to see if dave will really ban me for making light of glowsticking culture :rollwink:

Guest Blitz
i'm going to let you spout off and be anti-everything so people know what a hater looks like.

get a life =)

Well... it would be ridiculous to kick someone off a site for being immature and posting dumb shit, which I admit I have been doing, so that decision makes sense.

But in all seriousness, I am not a hater. I sort of play devil's advocate at times, I am almost always sarcastic, and I cause trouble to make a point (which usually just ends up pissing people off...understandably). I apologize for being retarded. If you knew me in real life, which you don't, maybe you could make better judgments on my character.

I am really too lazy to type a lot right now, but I feel I have to make myself clear.

My retardedness stems from things that have been bugging me for a while about this site. Obviously people interpret things different ways, which is why this thread has exploded into the shithole that it is. Personally, I could care less about Elvin getting suspended for a month. I may disagree with you that hiding information about a competition is a big deal, but a one month suspension is nothing to get crazy over, and quite frankly, none of my business. In the end, it really is your decision.

What I have a problem with is your intolerance of people. You preach all these values and ideals, yet rarely practice them yourself when you communicate with people... especially if you are communicating with someone with differing ideals. I have mentioned on several occasions that glowsticking is nothing more than a hobby to me, and I really mean that. I understand you have put years of work into creating what you think is "best for the glowsticking culture," but all in all, it's a waste of time. There is NOT one culture, no matter how much you want there to be.

I joined gsc because I wanted to be a good glowsticker. I was surprised to see that after I had been here a few months, I began to meet a LOT of really cool and interesting people, who are now some of my closest friends. Contrary to what you may think, I support the majority of gsc ideals, I just do not believe in forcing these ideals on other people. I will NEVER force people to think like me, even if I think it's for the best. If someone battles, that is their decision. Sure, if I see a battle I will speak out against it, but I will NEVER call myself better than them and I will NEVER say they are glowsticking for the "wrong reasons." To me, anyone who picks up sticks is a "real glowsticker", no matter how much of a dumbass they may be.

And you think I should get a life? You cannot tell me to get a life because you do not know how I live. Do you question that just because I consider glowsticking a hobby that means it isn't a large part of who I am? I'm going to the gsc meetup in santa cruz today, and I am probably going to hit up a renegade in the mountains tonight. Will you be there? For the past 2 months I've been teaching 3 of my friends how to string AND tidbits about the rave and gsc culture. When was the last time YOU sat down and taught someone a move? Tomorrow I'm spinning fire poi on the beach with a local firespinning troupe. And you still tell me to get a life?

:glare:

I'm sorry if I come off as snide, but please understand I have nothing against you, or anyone else here for that matter. I'm sure you read this post thinking to yourself "bah, this kid doesn't know what he's talking about. I've been here longer than he has and can predict the consequences of not protecting gsc ideals! Blitz acts like some immature 5 year old and he needs to keep his mouth shut."

Please reread what I have said with the attitude that some of what I say has at least a little weight to it. It's pretty obvious you do not respect what I have to say, but please give it a chance. If you want to discuss things with me, or help clarify your intentions, please PM me (this goes to everyone, not just Dave).

Other than that, I'll try to stay out of trouble from now on, and will refrain from posting in this thread anymore.

-Blitz

Blitz....its he wasnt suspended because he didnt ask persmission to spin at an event...christ...READ bro...he was suspending for keeping the info about competition hidden from everyone and not saying or trying to do anything about THAT.

Guest Blitz

My apologies. I will edit my post. I do not believe he should have been suspended for "keeping the info about competition hidden from everyone and not saying or trying to do anything about THAT."

Though that wasn't even the point of my post. Take your own advice please. Thanks! :)

WOW!!!.... I dont log in for 1 day and this thread explodes exponentially!!! O_o

I took the time to read every single post after i last replied -__-

What i have come to realize after reading all that i have is....... This thread has become more than just what it was intended for. This thread has become the perfect opportunity for everyone to straighten out their doubts and beliefs of things that are going on in GSC.

I have been standing back for a while just reading this thread to further expand my knowledge on the things going on.... to be honest... this thread was also a great opportunity to remind people about the main core values of the site..... but it has also become the perfect opportunity for people to reveal the cons and flaws that they see in things as they are...

I just want to share one thing for now... When the united states declared its independence, formed its own government and climbed the ladder in world powers.... It had to change some of its ideals and laws that it had in the constitution... At first, they wrote the constitution so that it would be as perfect as it could be, or to their knowledge immutable. But inevitably... they had to change certain things in the constitution because with great progress occurring in the US... It revealed great flaws in the constitution which led them to revise things into making a better more fitting constitution...

:inmyopinion:

I feel that there is a connection between that historical example and GSC.... staff members and members themselves should know that nothing comes out perfect at first! there is always something that needs to be changed for the sake of improvement... even if it means changing some ideals... =/ I am not saying that you need to change ideals or beliefs in GSC... I am saying that you guys should consider listening to some of the things said in this thread and really consider them...

I will have more things to say later but i plan on just spectating things on how they unravel for now...

dont flame me for expressing my opinion.... if you reply to my comment... I would appreciate it if you do it in a logical manner for i have previously gotten into a heated argument that was getting really personal and i do not want that to happen again =/

What there is a failure to understand is that this is a privately owned website and like with every forum/membership site on the web, there are rules that you must follow. This site has rules that go above and beyond just speaking to each other nice, it's about a lifestyle, it is about the embodiment of an art form. That is difficult for some and most people would like to see themselves in a grey area.

Since you are using our resources and connecting with people, we ask that you respect our beliefs, follow our rules and make a valiant attempt to understand our values. If you can not do that, maybe another site can serve you better. We have been here for years and there are always people who come in and think they can offer a better way of doing things or they feel as if they know more or understand the scene better than we do, but in actuality, things do end up in the same ways they did years ago. The players in the game may have changed but the game is the same basically.

We respect differences of opinion, and we welcome them. We do ask that you are respectful and you do not call people out and you are not a jackass. Sometimes being human, it is hard for us to hold back as well. At the end of the day, it comes down to; can you follow the rules of this site? Are you a contributing member? Do you do anything productive for the culture? For the older ones of us that are here have been in places where it's between eating for a week or throwing a meetup for our regional section, and those meetups have been the base and the livelihood of gsc. Everyone contributes, you don't get a pat on the back for that, it is expected. You go to meetups, great, you plan a meetup, even better. You go to parties, great, you connect with like minded people and make friends even better. There is no rewards program for acting accordingly to what you've been given; which is an opportunity to use a great site with infinite resources and people who are always willing to help. You doing that for someone else isn't godly. It's expected.

Moving on.

Stop griping about people being suspended. It won't un-suspend them. Meanwhile if you have more personal issues to deal with, talk to staff member in your section, speak with any of the admins or staff members period. We don't have infinite time to talk, but we can make time. If you have personal issues with people, speak to them about it on aim or keep it private.

This is a thread about a Dj that spun at an event that had a competition. This is not about banning people for fun, this is not about suspending people because we don't like them. As staff members on this site, we have to make decisions sometimes that we don't personally like but it is done for the preserverance of the culture.

At the end of the day, for some of us, it's much more. If it's a hobby for people, that's nice too but people that live and die for the scene are the ones that make and break it.

i'm pretty sure this is a classic slapstick comedy of misunderstanding from hell. I think everyone needs to calm down, and take a day off gs.c and do something to get your mind off the internet fight.Maybe play a video game or take a walk or something, and come back when you feel better. And if you've already done that and you still feel pissed, you should do it again

this thread is filled w/ anti plur :thumbdown:

i'm pretty sure this is a classic slapstick comedy of misunderstanding from hell. I think everyone needs to calm down, and take a day off gs.c and do something to get your mind off the internet fight.Maybe play a video game or take a walk or something, and come back when you feel better. And if you've already done that and you still feel pissed, you should do it again

this thread is filled w/ anti plur :thumbdown:

All I have to say to that is........... A-Fucking-Men.

Chill pill everyone... chill pill. Come back and collect thoughts. This is going nowhere fast :(

I was only sharing my analytical opinion earlier..... My intention was to gt peoples synapses working again. My point was sit down and think... dont automatically reply to something before you read it twice... try to understand what that person means... not what you only get out of it..

saying that ... i have practiced what i preach I carefully read this topic completley about twice to almost three times now...

I cannot deny that elvin knew about the competition... Nor can i say that it wasnt his fault that he got a temporary suspention =/

Azzie I really appreciate your replies because no matter how heated or crazy a topic may be... you always manage to answer in a calm logical manner :)

I agree with raver girls comment earlier and will cease to further argue in this topic.

Thank you for the information and clarity to my mind... I learned alot here :)

What I have a problem with is your intolerance of people. You preach all these values and ideals, yet rarely practice them yourself when you communicate with people... especially if you are communicating with someone with differing ideals. I have mentioned on several occasions that glowsticking is nothing more than a hobby to me, and I really mean that. I understand you have put years of work into creating what you think is "best for the glowsticking culture," but all in all, it's a waste of time. There is NOT one culture, no matter how much you want there to be.

there is one culture on this site. and it just happens to the most influential site. we invented the terms everyone else uses. the only area of influence we wield is on THIS site. are you telling me the community and staff cannot decide what we want to do on THIS site?

the TICKET to entering this community is the tacit agreement to follow the rules. Are you saying that the existence of rules makes one intolerant?

I will NEVER force people to think like me, even if I think it's for the best. If someone battles, that is their decision. Sure, if I see a battle I will speak out against it, but I will NEVER call myself better than them and I will NEVER say they are glowsticking for the "wrong reasons." To me, anyone who picks up sticks is a "real glowsticker", no matter how much of a dumbass they may be.

I don't force anyone to think like me. I just kick them off this limited piece of internet space on this domain name, which is, as you say inconsequential to the culture since there is no one culture. it's a bit funny to see how you say all these things and it's the direct result of all the hard work we put into this.

Do we really need to put "in my opinion" in front of everything? Because that's the opinion formulated by policy which has continuously been evolving for the last 8 or so years. we didn't use to have a no high school rule. it was added for a good reason. we used to not care what happened at parties with competitions, until shit started happening, badly.

it's my damn opinion that you aren't a "real glowsticker". Does saying that hurt your feelings? Or am I just a guy with an opinion?

Your problem is that your world viewpoint, which is sorta kinda nihilist, doesn't seem to allow for commitment of any kind of specific value choices. It's a VALUE choice when i say battling is wrong-- that is the foundation of glowsticking.com. It stands to reason, from inference, that people who are battling is flawed, from the context of glowsticking.com and our mission. It stands to reason, then that it's perfectly acceptable to criticize people who battle and call them retards, GIVEN THE CONTEXT OF THE SITE IS OF NO BATTLING.

The problem with you is that you like arguing. But the logical foundations collapse because you don't realize that yes, the decision to go against battling and competitions was a completely arbitrary choice and other people might not at all agree with it in any shape or form and that doesn't necessarily make them bad people, just people with different opinions.

But, the fact is that that we are on a web site that is solely dedicated to our brand of culture, much like choosing democracy over totalitarianism is a completely arbitrary choice but would be a no-brainer in the united states or other democratic states.

Are you actually meaning to imply that glowsticking.com cannot have the opinion it has and cannot enforce these opinions within it's own borders?

How authoritarian and fascist of you to think that.

And you think I should get a life? You cannot tell me to get a life because you do not know how I live. Do you question that just because I consider glowsticking a hobby that means it isn't a large part of who I am? I'm going to the gsc meetup in santa cruz today, and I am probably going to hit up a renegade in the mountains tonight. Will you be there? For the past 2 months I've been teaching 3 of my friends how to string AND tidbits about the rave and gsc culture. When was the last time YOU sat down and taught someone a move? Tomorrow I'm spinning fire poi on the beach with a local firespinning troupe. And you still tell me to get a life?

When is the last time you spent 300 dollars on advertising for this site?

When was the last time you spent 250 a month for a dedicated server?

When is the last time you worked your ass off to code all night so you can get an article system integrated with the forum structure so we can get SEO benefits so people can find us easier on the site. WHILE I'M MOVING MY ENTIRE LIFE from Orange county to downtown los angeles.

When is the last time you made a tutorial video? According to comments on youtube, people seem to be learning from it every day. According to the people on the site, people seem to learn from the site, and I have more than enough freehanders I shared moves with.

But from the extremely limited viewpoint you have, which means you want me to talk about where I actually physically sat down and showed people how to glowstick was at Hard Haunted mansion. Which was about 3 weeks ago.

A guy at the party was doing really smooth inverse-8's, so I told him he should check out glowsticking.com, and then I showed him how to do the freehand weave. I told him we ain't about competitions and crews.

I showed this other guy how to do the trace juggles at the same party, which almost every freehander here can do. Which i originally got from either earl han (glowtracer) or james liu (fueledbyramen).

It's not just that, me and paul pretty much brought popping to the freehanding scene. almost every freehander now tuts.

I wrote the original freehanding articles, and then I defined the original terms which seem to serve us well today.

But are you referring to just this past 4 months? because the EDC ultra circle was a smash hit and I think i deserve SOME credit for helping to organize it. most of the staff members there know how hard I worked. And I think the Anime Expo was also a smash hit.

Right after the ultra circle, in july, I started moving all my things and changing my address from OC to LA, which is a big move. Given that I'm 27, boohoo, it's not the same thing as a younger person moving. There is a lot more stuff to cover, life to change around, people to meet as a result of moving.

But yet, I still managed to accomplish a shitload of things within that time. I could mention some of it, but I'm really proud of our search engine optimization backend that I implemented, and I'm really proud of the joomla invisionboard integration that I installed. I'm glad I cultivated some members that are now staff members that I saw having great potential.

Do you really want to play this game? 4 month of being somewhat MIA in real life but definitely working hard on the backend, being in constant commnication with staff, TRAINING staff members on how to promote online may be something that's invisible to all of you, but which is SO much more value per time spent than a meetup or a dinner meetup or two.

So don't ask stupid questions next time, and grow up. I have to make choices on how I spend my time, and it involves things you don't even know about.

So get a life and live and learn and learn some fucking humility.

I feel that there is a connection between that historical example and GSC.... staff members and members themselves should know that nothing comes out perfect at first! there is always something that needs to be changed for the sake of improvement... even if it means changing some ideals... =/ I am not saying that you need to change ideals or beliefs in GSC... I am saying that you guys should consider listening to some of the things said in this thread and really consider them...

anyone who has been here for more than 2 years knows that's exactly what happened. we wouldn't have survived if we didn't

in the early days, we had groups called the NHC that was called the newbie hazing coalition. they would go around giving newbie points to people like blitz. we didn't do much to help newbies. we then grew brains and decided as a value that helping newbie and fostering growth of the least knowledgeable would be an ideal we would strive for, which is why the newbie forum was created..

for the past 6-7 months, we've been making ourselves more lax and more lenient about policy. it didn't work very well. you have people actually arguing about policy in response to actions which is in direct contradiction to our goals. it's such a contradiction to our goals that we can't bend more to be more lenient. that's why the veterans (of 1-2 years or more) are mostly surprised he got away with a slap on the wrist and most can't believe all these relatively new people acting with a totally myopic viewpoint on this whole thing.

this will change. we will make our ideals a #1 issue for awhile, and this drama is not even that major. people USED to argue about battling and crews, but we got that resolved. we USED to argue about a lot of things, but now we all agree that glowstringing is not poi. we all agree that high school and talent shows are bad news. we all agree that battling sucks and supporting competitions sucks.... or we did... i guess we will have to make it more clear from now on.

i feel like we took a major step back in the past 6-7 months because glowsticking.com was too afraid to be itself. we got our emotions too hurt from people calling us nazis when in fact, they were the ones telling US what to do in our own house.

Well... it would be ridiculous to kick someone off a site for being immature and posting dumb shit, which I admit I have been doing, so that decision makes sense.

comedy gold. i love the selfish implication. it's like he thinks the site has no right of any kind, no right to enforce rules, or ban spammers, if it relates to people like him.

-- and i do realize irony. it was just funny within the context of where he placed it.