Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zin

Suspensions and Bans for Supporting Competition

282 posts in this topic

We've asked an entire website full of members to stop accessing our resources in the past. We've gone so far as to institute a "No dual-membership" policy in the past which has since been removed. If there's one thing nobody here is worried about, it's the turning away of people who would be swayed so easily by something such as this. It helps to weed out the people that really love the art from the ones who want to come here and leech of the hard work of the veterans here. I'm pretty sure that almost all the veterans here would agree that they do not want to help teach individuals who would use the art to battle - so if some people want to run off because we're standing up for our values and enforcing the rules I can assure you not one of us will shed a tear or lose a moment of sleep over it.

Lets not forget this is a private website run by a private individual. Even though it is publicly accessible it does not make it a public forum. We're all here as guests in a home which Dave has been kind enough to share with everyone for the past 7+ years ... and continues to do so because of his love for the art and the people that come together as a result. It should say a lot that so many veterans still stand by his side and defend this art the way that they do. This is like a second home or a second family to many people.

Dave can't be everywhere and do everything. That's why the staff is here. We fulfill the roles that help Dave accomplish whatever goals are put in place. It varies based on our different roles, but all of us are here to help fill that gap. Dave should NOT have to moderate every thread and talk to every member who 'might' perform at a competition. That's why we're all here, including Zin. He actually spent a lot of time and energy trying to rectify this situation over a long period of time, much more than most people realize.

Do we purposely want to drive people away? Absolutely not. But at the same time, the people who would abandon ship over this obviously don't share the same goals, don't share our ideals and aren't interested in the future of glowsticking. Those are the very people who are more than welcome to stay as far away from this site as possible. There's 7 years worth of hard work and dedication contained in this website and I, for one, do not want those resources used to help bastardize the art. I'll tell you right here and now that I do not volunteer my time as staff so that battlers can benefit from it - I do it because I love glowsticking as an art and I love the people here who feel the same way I do about it.

In my eyes, supporting a battle is synonymous with bastardizing the art. The damage done from one battle and the impression it leaves on people is nearly irreversible. Once that battle takes place, hundreds (or thousands) of people will instantly associate glowsticking with everything we try to protect it from and remove from our culture. It takes months of hard work to help reverse the effect of that one party and, in many cases, it can never be completely undone. Being paid to perform at a party that holds a competition is helping to make that battle successful as well. You can't do one without the other, they go hand in hand here... therefore by performing at such an event (and being paid for it) you are literally undermining months worth of hard work by our members and staff.

The people who can't see the bigger picture need to take a closer look and understand this is not about a few members attending a party or about one DJ being paid for a gig at some club. It is about helping to preserve our culture as a whole.

As an example, breakdancing and bboying have been closely associated with battling, however it wasn't always that way. There was a time where it was pure and not about showing up the other people in the circle. It was the movie "breakin" from the 80s (and the sequels that followed) that destroyed that dance form and associated it with battling. I was one of those 13 year old kids that thought it was cool to cut up a cardboard box and do head and back spins in the middle of the street ... 20 years ago.

We do not want glowsticking to go that route yet if we don't do something to stand up for our beliefs it won't be too long before it gets to that point. It's up to us to prevent that from happening and in order to do so we need to stand firm with our beliefs. Sadly a few people may feel ostracized along the way, but that is not about being elitist... it's about being true to something we all love and having integrity and pride. So go ahead and criticize us for those things, because we'll proudly accept those accusations.

This is fucking ridiculous banning people who are dj's for spinning at events that gsc deems not acceptable. Jesus christ you guys sound more like the christian church with every passing day.

And i know jellybeanx quite well, but honestly this has nothing to do with him, you guys are gettin outta hand with this anti battling shit.

Ease the fuck up.

This is fucking ridiculous banning people who are dj's for spinning at events that gsc deems not acceptable. Jesus christ you guys sound more like the christian church with every passing day.

And i know jellybeanx quite well, but honestly this has nothing to do with him, you guys are gettin outta hand with this anti battling shit.

Ease the fuck up.

*sigh* no

Telling them to "ease the fuck up" is not going to change anything or make them less apt to suspend you too. Did you not read what RG posted? He was a little upset but he isn't even reacting like half of you are! It is a slap on the wrist and he will come back in a bit and that will be that..

Edit: I love you too brad :D

I'm pretty disappointed to see something like this show up and become as large a thread as it is now. But who am I to start talking, I'm sure things have been worse and people are just letting this happening get out of hand.

This is something that should just be said and done. I really don't like seeing something like this turn into such an eyesore.

Not everyone may see where Dave is coming from, but remember he's been in this longer than anyone. He's seen a lot more, heard a lot more, knows a lot more. He's probably gone over this many times over the years.

I'm Elvin's friend, he's helped me out a lot in the past. It's sad to see such a large argument be about something that happened to him. I don't want to condemn him or defend him here. He's a good person, but not everyone can live a straight line and never fuck up. We should just leave it at that and then suddenly this wouldn't be such a big problem. There are times when we've all probably slipped up when it comes to glowsticking culture.

Who am I to talk though, I'm still considered a noob (in my mind) and haven't experienced as much as you guys. I don't live close to any of you so I hardly get to see you.

It's sad this happened to Elvin, I feel really bad. However it's not my place to argue with Dave especially after all this is already said and done. It's done, now let's let it go before this gets more ridiculous.

I don't want this to be taken the wrong way by anyone. Like I said, Elvin is my friend and I'll always care about what happens to him, but I can't raise my hand against something that's already happened.

(I've really been trying to avoid posting in here)

Not everyone may see where Dave is coming from, but remember he's been in this longer than anyone. He's seen a lot more, heard a lot more, knows a lot more. He's probably gone over this many times over the years.

Exactly. people have been jumping on this thread saying Dave is all high and mighty. He IS the admin of this place, yes, but thats the technical part. He has been here ALOT longer than most on this board, and has seen alot. Though you may not agree with his actions, He only does what is best for the GSC and the culture. Not to create chaos.

It's done, now let's let it go before this gets more ridiculous.

THANK YOU!

BARCAFAN WILL NOT ANSWER ANY PM'S ON GLOWSTICKING.COM...

he asked me to add this reply and post a new thread to let everyone know.

If you'd like to get in contact with him, use facebook, hotmail, or any of the other means of communication said in his GSC profile.

Thanks!

I just fucking love how people are arguing the punishment and leaving the site and shit.

You would think the constructive thing to do if you disagreed with the punishment would be to question the policy in a new thread instead of complaining about a minor suspension..

just saying..

*sarcasm...

Barcafan: Ive met him and he seems like a nice guy. Sometimes people need breaks. I hope he comes back. If he doesnt come back, then good luck in life..

-Im not entirely directing this next part at Barcafan.-

I just think its ridiculous when veterans leave so dramatically or are shocked to learn about rules or ideals that have been around for such a long time. People should think things out instead of coming here and posting emotional rants or pointing fingers and criticizing others just because the issue involves somebody they know.

If you dont like the stance on this issue that gsc has then use the culture section.. thats what its there for.

If they knew about the competition and were purposefully trying to hide it from the site.... then :lol:

Either leave or grow some balls and take the light punishment.

facepalm.jpg

good bye barca. i will miss you. i have learned a lot from you, and it is sad to see you go without meeting you in person.

i hope you come back; if the site ever changes.

and to everyone else, big brother is watching.

"big brother" :lol:

If you looked after yourself then "big brother" (other members) wouldnt have to do it for you..

If you dont agree with us then come up with a line of argument and debate it in the forums.. if you still disagree when it comes to issues like this then leave.

Its people that say stupid shit like that who piss me off.. If you need to be secretive about anything that you do then you dont need to be here.

People who disagree with us on key issues but stay anyway are nothing but leaches and cowards..

and im just putting that out there.. If it doesnt apply to you then Its not directed at you.

If you need to be secretive about anything that you do then you dont need to be here.

People who disagree with us on key issues but stay anyway are nothing but leaches and cowards..

i agree at least 97% of the way this site is being run, so this doesn't really apply to me. i don't really know anything relating to what happened, but if they didn't even bring it up and consult gsc about trying to contact the organizing officials about battling, and just hid from the rest of us, then they should be punished accordingly.

but it is harsh to call someone a leach and a coward just because they have different beliefs. tolerance is the key to survival. if everyone was intolerant, then there would be nothing left of us

but it is harsh to call someone a leach and a coward just because they have different beliefs. tolerance is the key to survival. if everyone was intolerant, then there would be nothing left of us

They are if they disagree but stay anyway and hide their actions or opinions.. If you disagree with something then speak up. Dont stay around just for the benifits even though you dont agree with what we stand for.

I'm a friend of Elvin, he's a cool guy overall, but I guess not everyone thinks alike... I really don't have any sympathy for those that proceed with certain situations as this even though they may have already known about it... such as with morolen (feel free to browse the whirl thread)... also, I believe that someone mentioned that the staff have PMed Elvin asking about the topic but Elvin never replied so really I don't see anything wrong with the suspension... Elvin could have talked to the promoters before taking the gig and maybe having the promoters look more into that competition before proceeding... in my opinion, if Elvin posted more in the cultural section and outside of the regional section, he may have a better sense for the ideals as to try protecting it than proceeding with a party that goes against it...

what's funny is how the suspension is such a slap in the wrist compared to what most people get. i took into account that he might not have known. and people get all bent out of shape over that.

it just goes to show you how we've been seriously lax this year-- and all we have to show for it is people crying about what a harsh punishment it is. seriously, he doesn't post much in the other sections of the forums-- neither do most of the people complaining-- think about that for a second.

I planed to go to the event to support JBX(couldn't make it though).

I was unaware there was a poi contest until Zin mentiond it to me.

(I had been looking for the post on gsc to see who was going)

thats when i realised why I couldn't find it.

another member then also mentiond it to me a few days later.

both times it went in one ear and out the other.

in my mind i strongly believed it would be ok if i went because i only wanted to support elvin.

I feel torn between both sides and dislike how i agree with you guys(Dave, ect.) elvin still and always will be considered a great friend

reading all this has helped me to see how dedicated i was to the culture, and how dedicated i must be from now on.

They are if they disagree but stay anyway and hide their actions or opinions.. If you disagree with something then speak up. Dont stay around just for the benifits even though you dont agree with what we stand for.

don't worry. i'm cool with what gsc stands for, and i feel that the "suspension" was totally justified.

and could someone post a link to the "Whirl" thread that R3DLIN3 is talking about (as long as it doesn't open another pandora's box)?

iv been here over a year , and now im away somewhere in the mountains, and i was txt to check out this thread . i spent 15mins out of my 30mins here in the cafe reading this .

i always dont get it why other people are not active on gsc, why they dont attend meetups, why they just drift away, im not saying this to people who are reading this, but to those who are not reading this who has never log on for years . i always think gsc is the best place to be . why doesnt everyone join in and be active? why those old g people just drift away, i always thought maybe they found something better in life than glowsticking . i dunno as a matter of fact, but i guess this is one of the big reasons why people leave the site . they are disagreements and people take sides of course when 'war' happens . it happens in every day life too .

all i have to say . i understand why people leave this site ..

ill see you guys in "abit"

Guest wuxanaXan
wuxanaXan....to correct you...there WAS glowstringing in the competition. I know this for a fact becuase, coincidently, the winner of that competition added me on Plurlife and he was glowstringing(him and i had a good talk about why competition is wrong and he really understood our stance against it and what it does to the culture).

then why the hell was he in the competition then?

you're making an unsupported argument

besides, not all people understand the difference between

glowstringing and poi

Guest wuxanaXan
Jellybeanx told me he was mad big in Malaysia, that he spun with Yoji just like I have and mad other famous DJs. If that's the case, again, why did he spin at an event that promotes battling? He shouldn't have to be scroungin for gigs at the level he claims to be at. That shit's weak.

because hes a new dj the us rai

cultural barriers do sometimes prevent others from

spinning at decent events in other countries

Guest wuxanaXan
If you are going to defend the action of "battling" at an event I suggest using a different analogy than an art contest.

An art contest is a display of creativity using a wide variety of mediums, or only one medium if that is what is called for. But, that is just it...its just art. While we do view this as an art form (and dance is a form of art), this is not just a canvas with paint smeared on it to look pretty. This is a CULTURE. The part that everyone seems to miss within this whole pot of he said she said and OMG NO HE DIN'T! It isn't a diss on the art form that everyone is up in arms about...it is the promoting of the very thing that this site was built to defend...THE SCENE...THE COMMUNITY...THE CULTURE.

There are sub-cultures of art I guess...but it just isn't the same...you are comparing apples to oranges here when you obviously can't tell the difference.

so what? visual art is not a culture?

if it isnt then i wouldve had no reason to believe glowsticking was its own seperate legit culture

i was not isolating this to just paint on a canvas

i am an artist, and i go to an art school where there is also perfoming and musical arts

ALL OF US artists take part in competitions to

what youre implying that we are not a real culture

you obviously are taking part in this on daves side

just to look good, and to "show" that you are dedicated to "glowsticking"

if you're not a real, profesional artist, you dont have the right to say this

that you believe dancing is the only legit culture there is

fucking bullshit

that one comment is the straw that breaks the camels back

fucking hypocrite

its one thing to bash us because you believe we support battling

but to bring in another art and bash that

what the fuck

then why the hell was he in the competition then?

you're making an unsupported argument

besides, not all people understand the difference between

glowstringing and poi

Well he obviously did understand the difference. And you were wrong. There wasn't just poi in the competition.