Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zin

Suspensions and Bans for Supporting Competition

282 posts in this topic

NocturnalPinoy has been banned for participating in a competition at Happeee Place 2 in Southern California.

JellybeanX has been banned temporarily for one month for spinning at a party (Happeee Place 2) that supports competition.

Clarification: He knew the event had competition beforehand and took no action. This, not the sole fact that he spun at an event with competition, was the main reason behind his banning.

Let it be known that once again GSC does NOT support competition, crews, or battling. :thumbsdown:

A lot of people who went SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER.

it's more to do with the fact jellybeanX willingly went to go and perform at an event which supports it and didn't give a shit. didn't try to change it, didn't post about whether he should, or how he might be able to change it or ask for GSC help.

and everyone else didn't give a shit.

that's just sad.

it's one thing to go and find out that party was full of battlers.. but this was a party where competition was heavily advertised party. people were told of all this beforehand. and they still chose to say fuck it.

Like you said its one thing to show up be ignorant of the fact. but he apparently went TO participate...

Very sad

Guest wuxanaXan

NocturnalPinoy's banning makes sense

ive seen him enough at parties in my face

to know hes really a battler

elvin/jellybeanx, on the other hand,

didnt play at this even because he was interested in competition

he did not play, so that battlers can battle to his music,

nor did he play there because he supported battling

nor did he play there to compete with other djs.

he played there because he loves getting good music out there to the crowd

if he participated in the poi competition on the other hand

that would be a completely different story,

but he didnt.

perhaps a temporary suspension,

just because he spun at this event

is fitting to most of you

but i think all the way til the 30th of december is a bit much.

it is exactly like saying

"i get suspended from gs.c, because there were some breakdancers

battling in the same park that i go to to chill out and glowstick with friends"

i'm sorry guys

because this is probrably gonna go against many of you,

but elvin is a VERY close friend of mine, and im going to stand by him

i can say for a fact that he DOES NOT SUPPORT BATTLING.

and Trance-Rckr,

get your facts straight before making comments like that

elvin was not battling anything to win anything

As a DJ, you make a decision where you spin. It is your responsibility to know what type of party you're going to be playing at. So. Regardless. He should have been able to make a more fitting decison for his "committment" to gsc rules.

When you DJ at an event you help make it sucessful. When you pay to get into an event you help create a niche where it isn't necessary.

Just because he spun at an event that supports battling doesn't mean that he himself supports it. Battling is a choice of the people that do it. As a music artist I think he should be allowed so spin at whatever event he wants to to get his music heard. That's what being a musical artist is about. Being heard.

I honestly don't think it's fair to ban somebody because they want to be heard.

This whole thing is stupid.

Just because he spun at an event that supports battling doesn't mean that he himself supports it. Battling is a choice of the people that do it. As a music artist I think he should be allowed so spin at whatever event he wants to to get his music heard. That's what being a musical artist is about. Being heard.

He knew this event would have a competition, and the event that happened before this one had a competition. It's even advertised that this competition will be an annual one. Therefore, this party will never be supported by GSC nor its members.

He has many other gigs, and he's been on GSC long enough to know our stance on the subject, yet he still chose to spin at this event. If it were Lira, myself, or madraverrai getting booked, we would NOT choose to spin at any such event.

It's just as Azzie said. As a DJ you get to choose your gigs and choosing to spin at said event leads to you attempting to make it successful. Even after I told JellybeanX that he should not advertise his event here, he still decided to plan a dinner meet and invite everyone over to this gig afterwards. It's not the dinner meet that pisses me off, it's the fact that he KNEW that this event had a competition and NEITHER of his posts (before they were deleted or edited) mentioned that this event had a competition.

there's a lot of people on the site who are on the site to just promote themselves, their videos, their careers, and their own personal egos.

you can tell who they are. i'm not saying jellybeanX is one, but this is very close to showing that he is. i hope when he comes back he can explain his actions and perhaps apologize.

they are the ones who talk shit about core GSC beliefs, lie in front of other people, and then talk the talk when on the forums and in front of staff members.

they are the ones who steal ultras in an ultra circle when their own pockets are full of ultras.

they are the ones who use other members for props and attention and support and money and rides. they glowstick in the middle of the circle until their arms are not tired. they sap the positive energy from a circle.

they only volunteer to perform in the ultra circle, but never actually help to set it up or donate glowsticks for it. their meetups are always without sacrifice on their part, and their idea of happiness is when everyone does what they want.

the important people on the site have taken notes and know who these people are.

it's best all of you do not be influenced by people who are fake and are on this site more to just fuck around than to show how much they love glowsticking. glowsticking culture needs help. we need more people serious about it. not people who don't give a shit about it and only about themselves.

once again, this is not directed at jellybeanX, since he hasn't had a chance to explain himself.

GSC values has been slowly ruined by these people-- and I lurked on the site, I've lurked in the chatrooms, I heard the whispers of those people who don't give a shit, and the staff and the important people all across the nation are going to be doing something about it. you won't be invited to the meetups, and we will turn our backs to you.

ANYONE who made it to this party will be found and will be suspended for a period of 7 days. Step up now, and that's all that will happen. Don't step up and watch your account, posts, videos, and threads erased, and legal notices sent to your primary place of residence rescinding your legal right to use this site.

I've had numerous debates with various important and long-standing veterans of the site who have sacrificed their time and worked hard to make this site happen, and for a long time, I've played the middle around in terms of enforcing our rules.

I was wrong.

wuxanaXan, you are completely in the wrong, and I know you went to that party. It's so sad you were too weak to actually say something. You could have maybe turned the competition into something else.. maybe did something about how GSC would promote this party if they made it maybe a filming or something like that. Something that would make them change their tune.

but you didn't give a shit. oh well. maybe you should mention next time how you went to this party before spouting off-- that way you don't look like a hypocrite. veterans are watching you right now, and they are shaking their heads. you don't think all of this was discussed 10 times over by people from all over the nation through phone calls, text messages, and IM's?

i'll give you a day or two before i suspend you for 7 days so you can think about all of this.

there's a difference between supporting a friend, and supporting him because both of you were either too weaksauce or didn't give a shit about the actual culture to ATTEMPT to do anything about it.

either is shitty.

i'm sad it came to this. hopefully the rest of you actually care enough to do something next time, and not hide it from everyone else.

I think a web site has every right to decide who they want in their site and community. A web site is all about choosing what messages to relay. To communicate.

I honestly don't think it's fair if a web site can't decide to ban somebody because it contradicts everything the web site wants to say and be heard about.

Your post lacks logic and cohesion. Because some random DJ, who wants to spin at some event which goes completely against EVERY RULE of the site, and people want to argue about it? That's kinda lame.

Think about it.

Although Elvin Ong (JellyBeanX) did go to spin at Hapee place 2, which just so happend to hold a stupid poi contest thing, You cant ban him for spinning there.... thats a stupid reason.

You guys are looking at all of this from only the point of view that you want.... try looking at it from his point of view for once -_- As a Dj, you want to excel in your career and make yourself KNOWN! You don't want to be "That one dj who has been playing at that same crappy event for ten years" You want to get better gigs. That means spinning at events that will have more people..... the more people that listen to your music.... the better chance you'll have to be well known... assuming you play good music. Elvin Ong played there because it was a good opportunity for his Dj career. You cant blame him for that! Yes.... as a Dj.... you do make the decision as to where your gonna spin. Yes it is your decision to know as to what type of party your going to be playing at. But you CANT disregard the fact that there was no more fitting choice here in this situation for elvin Ong . Unless you are able to get him a spot to spin at TAO... you are nobody to be telling him to spin somewhere else if Happee place was a great opportunity for his Dj career. You cannot blame him for taking up the offer to spin at this event.

These events aren't just planned over night.....they hire the Djs a good amount of time before the event is even advertised.. For all we know, when he accepted the offer to spin there, they probably still haven't said anything about this poi spinning contest. Even if he found out later on.... theres something in this world that we like to cal CONTRACTS. Those are legal documents that tie your ass down to whatever you sign.. -_- So again, Who are you to tell him to go back on the contract just because they are holding a poi spinning contest. IMO, that would be selfishness on your part.

He DID NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE CONTEST!

"it's one thing to go and find out that party was full of battlers.."

..... wrong!!!!!! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: You weren't there!!! Who are you to say the party was full of battlers!! As a math teacher... im going to give you some of my estimates.... x = ravers ..... so.. I have gone to enough raves to honestly be able to say that out of the total amount of ravers that attend the event.... the amount of the ravers total ravers that actually are glowstickers/orbiters, etc. are x<18% So... tell me .... How can it possibly be full of battlers when you have 81% of the event composed of individuals who are there to dance, get laid, slang drugs, use drugs, etc...... It looks to me like you guys are making blind choices on very little info.... taking into account that you weren't there...

Yes he spinned at the event... but it wasn't to support battling or poi competitions. What you guys are implying is that Djs are contribute to whatever goes on in the event... might as well say bluntly that Djs contribute to drug abuse..... might as well say that Djs contribute to illegal activity that occurs at the events.... might as well say that djs contribute to everything!... Djs are there to play music. We make what we want out of it... not the Dj.

Battling is nothing other than wrong.... but he didn't battle therefore he did nothing wrong. -_- He was only fulfilling his role in his contract that said that he was going to play at this event at this time for this long... It doesn't say.... you will be playing music at this place, which will contribute to our battling contest, at this time, which will be the final round of the competition, for this long, which will be the duration of the final round.... nop it doesnt say that at all... It just says, play for us here at this time... well pay you. IF you ask me, I dont see how he could have seen this coming that far in advance. you cant punish him for spinning there. You cant punish him for simply having a career. -_-

Your always going to have stupid people battling at a rave whether you like it or not. Just like youll always have that drunk chick telling everybody she sees, "Did I tell you that I love you?" It is something that is beyond ones control.

IMO, 75% of Battlers suck balls when it comes to glowsticking, 20% are decent, and only 5% are actually good. I have realized that GSC has a lot of talent that i have yet to see from anywhere else O_o no what do you think people will think if they see a glowsticking (poi) (whatever) competition and all they get to see competing is a bunch of noobs. Then they just so happen to look somewhere else and they see an individual who is really talented and isnt in the competition but jsut off in the distance glowsticking with their friends enjoying the music. hrmmm thats gonna obviously intrigue that person. He/She might be inclined to go over and ask that mysterious glowsticker, "Why aren't you in the competition?" The mysterious glowsticker would then reply... because I am a member of glowsticking.com.... in essence giving that gsc member the perfect opportunity to explain about culture, beliefs, etc.

I really think you guys should rethink Elvin's punishment. He did nothing more than his job. You cannot blame him for that.

here's another example... lets say i work for arrowhead or something... I have a stand at the rave.. I'm selling water... The rave is having a battling competition... I sell a bottle of water to one of the battle contestants..... then i find out i am banned from GSC because i was doing my fuckin job -_- How fuckin stupid is that -_- i mean SERIOUSLY!!

GSC is a family!! It is a place where glowstickers unite to have fun, get together, learn, make friends, attend meet ups. GSC has rules and guidelines that it requires of its members... As a member I have agreed to follow those rules that my membership came with.... but those rules apply to me, Glowsticker Lnathan9129, They do not apply to Nathan the math teacher. -_- Im not saying that Nathan the math teacher is gonna go out and battle someone with glowsticks... what I'm trying to say is that In life... there are priorities. First priority should be YOU, the second should be taking care of your necessities (that includes work, rent, bills, etc), third would be your entertainment(fun). You cannot have fun and go to raves if you don't have money.... you cannot eat if you don't have money for food... you cannot do anything without money in this system... therefore.. why are you telling Elvin to pass up a chance of getting paid if he might need the money =/ just because you have a job that pays you steadily doesn't mean he does too... For all you know... he probably does that for a living... which is why i think it's wrong what you guys did to him =/

NocturnalPinoy got what he deserved because he participated in the competition..... but Elvin was only doing his job.... It is unfair for you guys to do what you guys did. :rtfm:

Im going to finish sharing my opinion there before i get banned for expressing my point of views. :coffee:

Just to make things clear... I am solely against battling :shy:

like i said, there's a conflict of interest between a DJ who just needs to promote himself, and a web site community who has strong ideals.

Obviously you have strong loyalties to your friend the DJ, not glowsticking.com the ideal.

like we said, we're not punishing the people who went. we're punishing the people who supported KNOWING ALL OF THIS.

there will be conflicts of interests. how you deal with it reveals a lot about you.

to be honest, we would have just banned jellybean completely, because of the way he hid everything and kept going regardless of what was being said. this is us being very lenient because we've been lax lately about our rules and the staff has been more watching than doing at the moment. including me.

but we're back.

For one, the same event last year had a competition, and it was even advertised as an ANNUAL competition.

wuxanaXan, you are completely in the wrong, and I know you went to that party. It's so sad you were too weak to actually say something. You could have maybe turned the competition into something else.. maybe did something about how GSC would promote this party if they made it maybe a filming or something like that. Something that would make them change their tune.

but you didn't give a shit. oh well. maybe you should mention next time how you went to this party before spouting off-- that way you don't look like a hypocrite. veterans are watching you right now, and they are shaking their heads. you don't think all of this was discussed 10 times over by people from all over the nation through phone calls, text messages, and IM's?

i'll give you a day or two before i suspend you for 7 days so you can think about all of this.

there's a difference between supporting a friend, and supporting him because both of you were either too weaksauce or didn't give a shit about the actual culture to ATTEMPT to do anything about it.

either is shitty.

i'm sad it came to this. hopefully the rest of you actually care enough to do something next time, and not hide it from everyone else.

You might want to get your facts straigh because FYI.... wuxanaXan didnt even attend the event because he had something to do for school. I was never going to attend the event just to make things clear... you might want to ask the people that you suspect attended the event before you point them out int he open...

2) contracts aren't ironclad like that. anyone can tell you that. you are not a slave when you sign a contract. and even then, if he had tried to do something about it, like try to convince them to turn it into something else (i'm sure people could have come up with some cool ideas) everyone on GSC would have been like.. ohh that sucks Elvin... we'll try to help you

and if we weren't successful, we would have had no problems with him still performing.

the fact of the matter is that not a finger was lifted to do something about the problem.

too many people are just hanging out. we need more people in love with glowsticking. not with their selves.

it's a family because we have a purpose. not because you hang out with some guy at some party a few times and he gave you his glowstick.

He isn't banned, he's suspended. If he cares more about his DJ career than the morals and values of glowsticking.com to the point where he would betray one for the other, it shows us what really matters more to him. You're defending him as if he'd been banned, he hasn't. If he truly cares about GSC, when this month long ban is over he'll come back and redeem himself for doing this and would think twice about doing it in the future.

PS, if he has the money to afford DJ equipment I'm sure he's not worrying about scraping together 3 bucks for his next meal. He made the choice to spin at this party, not because he "had no choice" as you make it seem. He had a very clear choice and he made it.

You might want to get your facts straigh because FYI.... wuxanaXan didnt even attend the event because he had something to do for school. I was never going to attend the event just to make things clear... you might want to ask the people that you suspect attended the event before you point them out int he open...

it doesn't really matter at all man. this doesnt' change anything. that one line about him going doesn't change the whole point of the matter, which was that he still supported the idea of going, and didn't do anything or think of anything to help the culture... and so do you, because of personal loyalty to some guy who has never done anything for glowsticking. and you are on a glowsticking site. on a site called glowsticking.com. which promotes glowsticking culture. dude.. seriously? come on.

like i said, there's a conflict of interest between a DJ who just needs to promote himself, and a web site community who has strong ideals.

Obviously you have strong loyalties to your friend the DJ, not glowsticking.com the ideal.

like we said, we're not punishing the people who went. we're punishing the people who supported KNOWING ALL OF THIS.

there will be conflicts of interests. how you deal with it reveals a lot about you.

You are very bold to tell me where my loyalty lies... I didn't know you were psychic :sm_bigeek:

I havent seen you at any meetups here in Los angeles.... I havent seen you at any raves... how do you know im not loyal to GSC... If you only knew the things that i have sacrificed in order to attend these meetups and meet fellow GSC members. You dont know anything about me.. you only read my opinion on the topic of this thread an made your conclusions about me only on that... maybe if you would attend some of the meetups and get to know me... you might... just might learn where my loyalty lies...

First priority should be YOU, the second should be taking care of your necessities (that includes work, rent, bills, etc), third would be your entertainment(fun). You cannot have fun and go to raves if you don't have money.

this was funny so i had to quote it, because I agree with him completely.

Get a real job, unless DJing pays all your bills so you don't have to work.

Glowsticking is a voluntary culture. So you can do what you need to do to stay in the culture. or do not, and you will be kicked out. Glowsticking.com defines the culture since your very precise and somewhat comparative way of pointing out that all the best glowstickers are on here and have sweated on here for your privilege of being here and learning from our mistakes.

we're trying to tell you that this is a bad thing, and you are just telling us we are wrong.

whatevers man. whatevers

I just want to emphasize, jellybeanx was not suspended really because DJed and the event, it's more the fact that he hid the information about the competition from us for so long. We messaged him multiple times asking for him to either contact the runners of the show, or to just give us the contact information so that we could talk to them about it. He never responded to us and went ahead without saying anything.

If he just DJed at the event with telling us about it and attempting to stop the competition, he definitely wouldn't have been suspended, it would have been a whole other out come.

IMO, 75% of Battlers suck balls when it comes to glowsticking, 20% are decent, and only 5% are actually good. I have realized that GSC has a lot of talent that i have yet to see from anywhere else O_o no what do you think people will think if they see a glowsticking (poi) (whatever) competition and all they get to see competing is a bunch of noobs. Then they just so happen to look somewhere else and they see an individual who is really talented and isnt in the competition but jsut off in the distance glowsticking with their friends enjoying the music. hrmmm thats gonna obviously intrigue that person. He/She might be inclined to go over and ask that mysterious glowsticker, "Why aren't you in the competition?" The mysterious glowsticker would then reply... because I am a member of glowsticking.com.... in essence giving that gsc member the perfect opportunity to explain about culture, beliefs, etc.

Like really... I just don't believe this would work at all. It doesnt matter whether you think battlers suck, or not, but whether the public does. You should probably know by now that someone who's been stringing for a week can impress people who havent seen stringing before than someone who's been doing it for a year as long as the string really fast and aggresively. Nocturnal Pinoy happens to be a fairly good stringer anyways, so this doesn't even apply. And the chance that someone would happen to try and talk to gsc members isn't anywhere near as big as the chance that they would talk to "flashy" battlers.

You are very bold to tell me where my loyalty lies... I didn't know you were psychic sm_bigeek.gif

I havent seen you at any meetups here in Los angeles.... I havent seen you at any raves... how do you know im not loyal to GSC... If you only knew the things that i have sacrificed in order to attend these meetups and meet fellow GSC members. You dont know anything about me.. you only read my opinion on the topic of this thread an made your conclusions about me only on that... maybe if you would attend some of the meetups and get to know me... you might... just might learn where my loyalty lies...

i don't attend the ones where the ones you hang out with because they were the ones that stole ultras in the ultra circle and do some shitty stuff i fucking hate like bust ultras in the middle of a crowd and then hit people and then string until their arms fall off from exhaustion. i'd rather killl myself than be associated with that bullshit. i'm cool with the older members of the site who hang out with them, like ravergirl.

yeah, i heard from various people about what the people YOU hang out with say about how I've been incognito from various things. Well, to be honest, there's a reason. And that reason is why you are posting here defending something where all the important members of the site are slapping their heads, wondering WHY THE FUCK WOULD ANYONE DO THAT? ask yourself that.

So I go a little incognito for about 3-4 months while I move from Irvine in orange county to los angeles, and you have the gall to tell me you haven't seen me in any raves or meetups? Dude, I've been to more meetups than you can imagine. Did you see me at anime expo? did you see me at the ultra circle? did you see me in NYC? do you see the phone calls, the texts, the IM's about the culture? no? because you aren't part of it and your opinion doesn't matter because your attitude sucks. i listen to ANYONE. even people with less than a few months, as long as they think about it and they have an open mind.

do you see how much work i did? no? it's people like you who don't know ANYTHING about what happens in the back end of the site to make all of this happen that irritate all the important people alike.

I hang out with everyone else. There is a reason why the veterans avoid you people like the plague. Because some of you have some shitty ass personalities who don't really follow the culture.

that one line about him going doesn't change the whole point of the matter, which was that he still supported the idea of going, and didn't do anything or think of anything to help the culture... and so do you, because of personal loyalty to some guy who has never done anything for glowsticking.

First of all.... I had no knowledge about the competition being held at this event until i found out about jellybeanx's suspension and readin through this thread.... secondly He asked me to go watch him play waay ahead of time but i told him i couldnt because of financial issues.... I never planned on going to this event... I never knew about the battling stuff until now.... so you can say that i too supported the idea of this event etc... -__-