Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trance-Rckr

Trance -Rckr presents:

15 posts in this topic

Trance - Rckr
glowsticking.com
November 14, 2008

The Afterlife Stomp:
an essay

Within the regions of Dallas Texas lies a place that holds magic to those who knows its true powers. By day, it seems nothing more than a group of ragged wharehouses tucked away from the world to see. But when the weekend comes, the lifeless buildings become a thriving organism, alive and strong. Many have ventured to see the sights and hear new sounds, but what the place is known for is its unique dance ritual. Fierce and bold with a hint of tribal instinct, theres a form of movement that is very rare to the outside, but from within it is what controls everyone. although there is no way to describe it, the dance is simply known as "Stomping".

"Afterlife", an EDM club located in Dallas, is populated with many types of people, mainly those who fall under the catagory as a 'raver'. Founded in 2001, Afterlife has provided many within the DFW region and beyond with a groundbreaking and powerful vibe that is created by the attendees, as well as the large sound that shakes the walls of the diffrent areas within the venue. Many walks of life come and go, including the well known kandi kid, to jungalists, and even cybers and industrial-heads. In between, you can find new-comers, as well as those just dubbed bizarre. by day many of the afterlifer's are average businessmen and woman, students, couples, mothers and fathers, and eveything else. while at the club, they transform into an inner being that is expressed by clothing, personality, and even by going by a nickname, or raver name. Negative vibes are left at the door, as many use the club as an escape from drama within their own lives that occur day to day.

What is unique and esclusive to Afterlife is what is know as 'stomping', a form a dance that is a tradition to those who follow the EDM scene but seperate from the rest. a very simple two step movement, stomping ranges from a simple jump to the rythym to a concrete demolishing slam, depending on the genre of music the person is enjoying. the dance is very similair to drum and bass stepping, which can give reason as when Afterlife first opened, Drum and Bass was a very popular genre. although stomping is a basic movement, each person who stomps puts an idividualistic spin on their movements. moves can range from leaning, use of arms, to even wearing backpacks. the stomp can also be done as a duo, but many times there has been a ring of 8 to 10 people stomping hand in hand.

speed and intensity of stomping differs, mainly due to what the current DJ is playing. slow genres are steady paced, but the kicks and synthetic sweeps are very powerful, thus causing a slow but strong stomp. as the tempo of music increases, so does the foot movement. trance is an all around 'anything goes' stomp, but when stomping to hard dance or hardstyle, it is a ferocious ball of energy that lies in your body, awaiting to be released to the ground. it does become difficult to stomp to faster genre's such as hardcore and gabber, but it is possible. the length of the dance differs from person to person as well, as while some can stomp for an entire set, some can only last a few minutes before needing a breath.

Stomping in groups is very popular within the grounds of afterlife, though it is common to see individuals stomping in their own bubble. watching a sea of party goer's stomping in time is very breathtaking, as it can show that many come together for one night to become as one body of movement. flashing lights and glowsticks are peppered within the mass, all moving to the loud and ground shaking music.

Stomping is not something that should be taught, as it is self learned to bring forth your own energy and reveal the aura that truly is who you are. competitions of stomping is also looked down upon, but circles do sometimes form. Stomping is not seen anywhere in the united states, so it is important that we continue this traditional dance that we all perform. weither its your first time, or you have been there since its opening, the stomp shall continue on, sending a message to all that we are still alive, and that we people, come together to unite. We become brothers and sisters for a few hours, before returning back to which we came from. at the end of the night, the club is empty with only the noise of the wind and the subwoofers powering down, waiting in dormant, until the next gathering. the warehouses become silent, though the memories of what have occured within shall be loud and heard of for years to come.

Nice. :) Stomping is also alive & well here in greater NYC-- lots of stompers of all kinds. Love! <3

i would love to see a video of some true and blue stomping.

my mind imagines it as something from the matrix cave dance scene......

SWEET

Trance-Rckr, That is an awesome essay. I really liked how you described stomping. It fits really well.

And Ultrance, It actually kind of is like that scene. If you want to see how it looks with flashing lights and numerous electronic sounds, go on YouTube and search for 'Afterlife Dallas'. There are videos from the club of the fire dancers, random glowstickers, random people giving and recieving lightshows, various styles of dancing (including stomp circles), and even some of the really old school Club Kids.

In fact, this video can give you an idea of what stomping is.

This is a well written paper Jonathan. I remember once when you and I were discussing how stomping at Afterlife is unique and stuff. All of us Texas members should release a stomp compilation with footage from Afterlife.

thanks. I love expressing thing like this and i was just bored. I do mean every word i said though, as those who have been to Afterlife completely understand. lol i may just make a video of me stomping, but im not sure.

Nice work man, I love it. You described it perfectly. I miss afterlife.....

Heck yes. Stomping is the f***-beast of dancing.

Haha, I have a very short clip of my drunken, ridiculous looking stomping at an apartment party. I was debating uploading it to YouTube to post here as an example of stomping. But I decided I looked way too foolish without a backpack, a water bottle, kandi, and bright flashy lights all over the place. Lol.

Haha, I have a very short clip of my drunken, ridiculous looking stomping at an apartment party. I was debating uploading it to YouTube to post here as an example of stomping. But I decided I looked way too foolish without a backpack, a water bottle, kandi, and bright flashy lights all over the place. Lol.

I still remembering you having that big carebear backpack as well =] lol

This is a well written paper Jonathan. I remember once when you and I were discussing how stomping at Afterlife is unique and stuff. All of us Texas members should release a stomp compilation with footage from Afterlife.

After we had that chat about AL and stomping, it just stuck in the back of my head, and i had so much about it, so I decided to put it in words.

I still remembering you having that big carebear backpack as well =] lol

Dude, that carebear bag was the shit! Im probably going to make another one when I get back home. :biggrin2:

Trance-Rckr, That is an awesome essay. I really liked how you described stomping. It fits really well.

And Ultrance, It actually kind of is like that scene. If you want to see how it looks with flashing lights and numerous electronic sounds, go on YouTube and search for 'Afterlife Dallas'. There are videos from the club of the fire dancers, random glowstickers, random people giving and recieving lightshows, various styles of dancing (including stomp circles), and even some of the really old school Club Kids.

In fact, this video can give you an idea of what stomping is.

Can't see much for the darkness and the DJ equipment in the way of the camera.