Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lira

Lira's music [feedback welcome]

57 posts in this topic

Hey, GSC. <3 My first love is and always will be singing. Here, I'll be sharing some of the things I'm working on. Most recent updates go on the top.

Feedback & critiques are always welcome, especially on drafts. If you'd like to use anything, please contact me first, since I usually collaborate and I'd like the permission of DJs and mixers I work with.

http://www.myspace.com/lirayin

http://www.facebook.com/lirayin

Music:

01/28/10

7/01/09

"Break Away" and "These Walls" are available for purchase.

iTunes: click on "Sounds of Summer" EP

Amazon.com: here

5/18/09

"Break Away"

Produced by Approaching Nirvana

Lyrics by Approaching Nirvana

Melody by Lira Yin & Approaching Nirvana

Vocals by Lira Yin

www.myspace.com/lirayin

:arrow: This track was written entirely by A->N, and originally only had their vocals. They weren't happy with the verse vocals, and asked me to sing them instead. I adjusted the melody for my own use.

:arrow: Both this and "These Walls" will be featured on an EP later this summer.

4/20/09

"These Walls"

Produced by Approaching Nirvana

Lyrics by Lira Yin & Approaching Nirvana

Melody & vocals by Lira Yin

First drafts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUQ6W4bqFHI

myspace.com/lirayin

myspace.com/approachingnirvana

:arrow: This track was produced using vocals I had written for another track that never came to fruition. When my friend Andrew of Approaching Nirvana asked me if he had any vox he could use, I handed him the track over without another doubt.

:arrow: A->N's style of fusion electronic orchestral music is really fantastic, and still developing.

2/10/09

"A Moonless Blue"

Instrumental, lyrics, melody by nal1200

Vocals by Lira Yin

FOR PURCHASE:

At ShockHound

At the iTunes Apple Store

:arrow: This is an experimental electronic jazz/downtempo track with an acquaintance of mine.

:arrow: The iTunes store got rid of the "(ft. Lira Yin)" after nal's name. I'm pretty pissed, but oh well. Should've put the "ft." in the song title.

1/28/09

"More Than Words (Lira Yin's Vocal Mix)"

Original instrumental produced by Pulstate

Vocals, lyrics, melody by Lira Yin

More Than Words (Lira's VMX) - Pulstate feat. Lira Yin

:arrow: Pulstate is an amazing 16-year-old prog trance producer signed to Infrasonic Recordings; his track "Fuel The Passion" was featured on ASOT 338, and the Heatbeat Remix is a big favorite of mine.

:arrow: I'm doing a collaboration with Pulstate and, potentially, another artist (three-way collab whooo!) and one of the ideas we had a couple of months ago was a rework of this song. Though we didn't use it, I loved the original song and I also loved the lyrics & melody I came up with here.

1/10/09

"Down To Earth"

Produced by Brittany Barrett (a.k.a. DJ BrixX on Newgrounds)

Vocals by Lira Yin

Down To Earth - Brittany Barrett & Lira Yin

:arrow: I am not happy with my vocal performance in this piece, especially since I didn't write the lyrics (she did) and so I had trouble working with some awkward pacing, but I'm bringing it to everyone's attention because of Brittany's amazing production.

:arrow: Seriously. Would you believe that this was produced by a 15-year-old girl?

:arrow: An updated version is being put on an EP she's releasing herself.

12/20/08

"Still Alive" version 2

Produced by Kazmo

Vocals by Lira

Still Alive RMX feat. Lira (WIP 2)- Kazmo

:arrow: This version is getting periodically updated with new versions. Kazmo's still working on it.

11/10/08

Rework of Carrie Skipper's "Time Goes By" by DjBjra of Newgrounds Audio

Produced by DjBjra

Dual vocal tracks by Lira

Time Goes By (ft. Lira Yin) - DjBjra

Preferred demo version is on my MySpace homepage here: http://www.myspace.com/lirayin

:arrow: I'm going to say straight up that I didn't support layering both vocal tracks at the same time, because of minor inconsistencies. Same goes for some of the sound choices.

:arrow: Feedback requested on my performance, at least-- listen to the demo. Dunno if he's receptive to production feedback.

10/31/08

Halloween collaboration with Xaleph of OCRemix/AnimeRemix

Based loosely on "Nothing Can Be Explained" from the anime "Bleach"

Instrumentals and arrangement by Xaleph

Vocals and lyrics arrangement by Lira

Nothing Can Be Explained (first draft) - Xaleph feat. Lira

:arrow: Being a Halloween piece, "Nothing Can Be Explained" is kind of a dark, fast psytrance-y track. We rushed it for the AnimeRemix contest, so a new version may be up later.

:arrow: Xaleph wouldn't mind feedback either; he's got to remaster the piece, and we're toying around with rearranging some parts. He didn't use all of the vocals I recorded this time, and I'm probably going to rerecord some as well.

---

Thanks for listening! <3

For Lira's mixes, go here: Lira Yin pres. Transient Illusion

Meh, I don't use my MySpace that much-- I only have it for music, which is awesome! Thanks to it, got in touch with Avatar One!

damn it i dont have sound! fukkkkk i wanna listen :wallbash: !

Not bad. Clean production. Good synths on the vocals too. MRR should make a tech remix to this track. (=oP

Awesome, Lira! :biggrin2:

I love the echo on the vocals.

This is certainly a change in your style - it's new to me that you would do a song of this style.

downloading now...

btw i loved the acoustic stuff on your myspace, it reminded me a lot of Jasmine Rodgers' (the signer from Boa) solo songs.

Thanks, 9 A.D.! :) Glad you like it-- my acoustic stuff is kind of hiding there, haha.

Thank you for all of the comments, everyone. (Rai, if you did a remix, that would be SikkkKKKkkk, no lie. But a remix of a remake? :P)

But...there've been 12 downloads and 7 comments. Comments/feedback are welcome & appreciated! Even if you didn't like it-- let me know why so we can learn from it! :) <3

nice abit of teky info ur bass is phazeing i am amsuming at 130hz so try doing abit of a eq cut or take abit of the release or decay away from ur synth allso the metal lead is pahzeing in some parts with the vocal so probz take a look at feq analizer to see where the problemb is allso i would like ot say ur drums sound verry clean with psy you sorta want a nice warm sound try easing back on abit of the reverb on the snare take away abit of the reverb or try a gated reverb, allso the vocals were nice position right the vecodeing was pretty cool too the auto pan'd delay was allso a nice touch try cutting arround 150hz down just to get rid of any unwanted frequancy but only might give abit of punch to the vox if it still lacks put a multi ban compresser over and you should get punch arround arround 1-2k

i personaly like it

Id turn up the vocal levels up just a little bit. Interesting riffs. Maybe add some of the ending parts to somewhere in the middle.

nice abit of teky info ur bass is phazeing i am amsuming at 130hz so try doing abit of a eq cut or take abit of the release or decay away from ur synth allso the metal lead is pahzeing in some parts with the vocal so probz take a look at feq analizer to see where the problemb is allso i would like ot say ur drums sound verry clean with psy you sorta want a nice warm sound try easing back on abit of the reverb on the snare take away abit of the reverb or try a gated reverb, allso the vocals were nice position right the vecodeing was pretty cool too the auto pan'd delay was allso a nice touch try cutting arround 150hz down just to get rid of any unwanted frequancy but only might give abit of punch to the vox if it still lacks put a multi ban compresser over and you should get punch arround arround 1-2k

i personaly like it

oh the headache this gave me, i need to learn this kinda terminology, lmao

lira is that really you, the voice sounded sikkkk, altho it had some effects to it bcuz the song was techy.

i would like to hear you sing a song where you dont have to alter your voice, that way you can sing it live 2, lol!

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'll let Xaleph know-- we literally threw that track together in 3 days, so he's taking a well-deserved break, haha. The man needs to sleep more.

I've got two reworks of classic trance tracks in the works w/different DJs at the moment-- keep your ears peeled! :)

New song up. Feedback on my vocals welcome, but feedback on the production...I have problems w/it, but the producer decided to stick by his decisions. Eh.

I actually have a demo version w/ a single vocal track. Ask me for it if you want to hear my vocals more clearly. :P

I think we are the most critical of ourselves. While I can sometimes tell what you mean about the inconsistencies (though that might just be the lowbit version sucking :P) it still sounds really good and to the untrained ear it would sound awesome. Really, most people wouldn't notice it. All in all, excellent job on all your stuff, though I'm with Barca, do a full song that hasn't been put through a synth :)

I think we are the most critical of ourselves. While I can sometimes tell what you mean about the inconsistencies (though that might just be the lowbit version sucking :P) it still sounds really good and to the untrained ear it would sound awesome. Really, most people wouldn't notice it. All in all, excellent job on all your stuff, though I'm with Barca, do a full song that hasn't been put through a synth :)

Thanks! The thing is, they're inconsistencies that have little to do with the actual vocal tracks-- they're just two tracks, sung in different styles, and because of that they have different subtleties that just clash. They could be avoided, and in hindsight, I wouldn't have agreed to sing the second track in a different style had I known that was how it was going to be used. Blehhh. (You're talking about "Time Goes By," right?)

That, and I'm a perfectionist-- to the trained ear, I can tell, so it bothers me. ;P

Well, technically "Time Goes By" wasn't synth'd. Just...reverb'd a LOT. :P I can sing that live, haha!

Yes, I was talking about Time Goes By.

On an off topic note, your clip in the Haunted Collab was great! Your freehand is really coming along :)

i really like your music lira, but a few things

in the song, nothing can be explained:

from 0:41 to 1:06, there is a faint scratching sound. it is similar to the sound from 3:31 to 3:40 but much softer, and now that i have noticed it, it really bothers me. i know it is not a problem with the headphones, as mine can handle deep tones very well.

and vocal levels need to be raised. you have a beautiful voice, so make it heard

time goes by:

i like it.

overall it is a good song, and there is more variation in lyrics (which i prefer)

the voice layering didn't do this song well. there are cases where you held a note a moment longer in one version than the other, as well as having different sounds, and so in some spots it sounded a bit funky.

it was very good, i am definitely going to wait for moar songs

from 0:41 to 1:06, there is a faint scratching sound. it is similar to the sound from 3:31 to 3:40 but much softer, and now that i have noticed it, it really bothers me. i know it is not a problem with the headphones, as mine can handle deep tones very well.

and vocal levels need to be raised. you have a beautiful voice, so make it heard

I think that was a mastering issue; I'll let Xaleph know. Thanks. :)

the voice layering didn't do this song well. there are cases where you held a note a moment longer in one version than the other, as well as having different sounds, and so in some spots it sounded a bit funky.

Aaaaaargh, exactly. That's precisely why I opposed the use of both vocal tracks...but the vocalist's feedback got overridden by the producer. :P Thank you for the feedback, anyway.

i really like your music lira, but a few things

time goes by:

i like it.

overall it is a good song, and there is more variation in lyrics (which i prefer)

it was very good, i am definitely going to wait for moar songs

that is actually a phazeing sound it not so much a scratch as it is a phaze in sound causing abit of a flange,

with the vocals its not so much a fact that the vocals need to come up there needs to be a boost in the high mids arround 2k to make the vocal abit brighter they allso need to go through a good compresser i recomend T-racks comp which is what i use to mix vocals as far as layering goes dont bother try makeing it wider with a small delay which you sorta got allredy and a sterio spreader

that is actually a phazeing sound it not so much a scratch as it is a phaze in sound causing abit of a flange,

with the vocals its not so much a fact that the vocals need to come up there needs to be a boost in the high mids arround 2k to make the vocal abit brighter they allso need to go through a good compresser i recomend T-racks comp which is what i use to mix vocals as far as layering goes dont bother try makeing it wider with a small delay which you sorta got allredy and a sterio spreader

wat......

i must study harder so i can understand what is being said.

put it in terms a simple layman like myself can understand!