Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

melvenorc12

HOW TO CREATE A COLLABORATION

14 posts in this topic

How to Create A Collaboration

A lot of people have started creating glowsticking collaborations of their own so I made this thread to teach you how to go through the process of making one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before you get started on creating the thread; you should create a folder on your desktop to hold the videos that people send to you. It's easy to name the folder the title of the collaboration you're making. You should make sure that every clip you receive is titled the screen name of the participant so that you will know who is who when you edit. Make sure the name is completely identical to the submitters including capitals and lowercases (some members care.)

Organization

Here is a basic outline of what your collaboration thread should somewhat look like with description of why you should include these as well as how. Make sure you color coat, bold/underline, and change the sizes of titles.

*Name of Collab Here*

Chose the name of your collaboration. You can name it something that has to do with the theme you chose, if you chose one, or maybe even name it just after the editor's screen name: like *melvenorc12's 1st Collab*. Basically the name is completely up to you, so have fun with it but don't get too ridiculous.

Due Date and Release Date:

It sounds a whole lot better to the submitters if you give a release date of your video. Normally you should give yourself about a week or so after the Due Date ends to be able to finish editing and release the video.

How to Submit:

Here you should describe HOW you want the participants of the collaboration to submit their clips.

Here are a few common ways collab organizers go about doing this:

(Your normally gone have to give out some type of contact information.)

• Send the file via AIM.

This requires you to give out your screen name obviously

• Host the video on a common program such as megaupload.com, rapidshare.com, etc, and tell them where to send the hosted link to.

They could PM it to you, Email it, IM it on AIM, or any other you chose.

• Attach the file to an email and email it.

Rules:

Choose the rules for your collab:

First state the obvious:

• Must be glowsticking with glowsticks because it's a glowsticking collab.
  • Must be submitted by such and such date.
  • Sticks must be lit.
  • Use proper lighting in video.
  • No releasing of footage before collab is finished completely or else you are deleted.
  • Then Anything else of the such you feel proper.
  • Whether you want it to be only a stringing collab or a freehand collab or both.
  • However long you want people's clips to be that they submit.

Normally you want it about 10-15 seconds at shortest and 35-40 seconds at longest. The only reason why you should go past 40 is to have handles to edit with.

• Theme of your collaboration

Theme is pretty big. Most collaboration makers have their videos showcase straight up glowsticking becuase themes after a while can be kind of annoying if they go too far. However, theme's are something you can still really consider and do as long as they aren't ALWAYS taken so far that they distract the entire video from glowsticking even though it's ok every once in a while. Themes are normally the creative part of the video. You can make it so it's all stringing, all freehand, or both stringing and freehand. You can make it so it's only stringing while wearing vests and standing on top of a roof. You can make it so it's freehand near a body of water with a sunset. Just be as creative as possible and try to think of the best idea that you can. You have to make sure that your theme doesn't insultingly discriminate anyone and is just accepted by the community however.

Editors/Promoters/Organizers

This is completely optional, but it's nice to know who exactly is doing what behind each collaboration when you submit to one. Just list out who is doing what.

Example:

Editor: melvenorc12 and CHeNeRiC

Promoters: Mindlesslogic, Raver Girl

Thread Organizer: cynicdave

Roll Call:

Here is where you add the screen names of everybody who has submitted their clip. Do not put people on any type of roll call who just say they will submit becuase that gives them less incentive to submit and will likely result in flakiness.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Promotion

• Promoting the collab is a pretty big deal. Creating the thread itself and just leaving it their to wait for submitters normally is not enough.
  • It's good to scout out people and ask them to join your collaboration.
  • Often PMing members who you know to have made videos in the past helps a lot.
  • IM people on AIM, bug them telling them to submit to the collab. You will probably end up doing this a lot =].
  • Put a link to the organization thread in your signature on gsc.
  • Put a link to the thread in the GSC Calender.
  • Bump your thread! Make sure it is at least visible on the first half of the front page.
  • Get someone to help you promote your video. Getting someone who knows other good stringers or freehanders well could be useful since they might be able to coerce them into submitting to the collab. Having multiple people do this can help a lot and increase your member count.
  • Sound legit. If the collab sounds like a terrible idea and is poorly organized then no one will submit. Do this by figuring out who is going to be your promoters, editors, and everything. Yes you can do all these, but it's very helpful to at least split up the job with one other person.
  • Give people incentives to submit on time! Reward them with points. I normally do 200 points per member.

Editing

You should at least have SOME background in editing. If you don't know how to edit at all I don't suggest creating a collaboration yet and find tutorials online on how to edit videos.

• When editing the video you should include the screen name of each member who participated either on, before, or after the clip they submitted takes place in the collaboration.
  • Include glowsticking.com somewhere in the video.
  • It's nice but not necessary to include credits of the promoters, editors, organizers, and the song titles if you have them.

Other than that there's not much to say as long as you know how to edit a video pretty well.

Hosting

Contact members that you know can host videos. Normally you want to have a regular host so that you can upload the video to the media center on GSC as well as a youtube host.

For youtube hosts you need to find someone who has a director account if your video exceeds 10 minutes by a lot. Normally Raver Girl and Ph0ton will host collaboration videos from GSC.

For regular hosts you can contact me, melvenorc12. If I'm not avaliable I know Cleric and Ph0ton can host videos as well. If you need to know how to add a video to the media center (downloads section) ask me.

So now that you've learned everything, thanks for reading and good luck making your glowsticking Collaboration!!

If you have any questions feel free to PM me :).

Nice! This was greatly needed. Thanks Brian! :)

awesome dude!

this is a great structure to follow for any upcoming ideas for a collaboration :)

Excellent writeup. If this isn't in the Articles section already, it should definitely be added.

Best writeup Ive seen since the one you did on how to make a tutorial.

Brian did a tutorial on how to make a tutorial?

You should have just filmed yourself making the tutorial, then put that video on youtube.

But I guess then you'd have a tutorial of a tutorial on how to make tutorials...

Brian did a tutorial on how to make a tutorial?

You should have just filmed yourself making the tutorial, then put that video on youtube.

But I guess then you'd have a tutorial of a tutorial on how to make tutorials...

Comprehensive Glowstringing Tutorial Making Guide, By melvenorc12

http://www.glowsticking.com/forums/Compreh...=tutorial+brian

gr8sweetz

thanks geuss i never thought about all the work that goes into the collabs i just been watching them when they come out thanks brian