Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleric

Crews, Highschool, performances, future.

182 posts in this topic

AT least i know now what not to do and if i do what to do in that situation.

One question though about the using it at school thing. I want "my" and I mean "my closest" friends to start to learn this and the whole reason i want them to learn is because i want there to be somthing else to talk about instead of the whole drama scene that has been going around lately. So would it be alright if I did that?Of cousce I would make them come here and read the whole forum if i have to just so they get what this is about.

AT least i know now what not to do and if i do what to do in that situation.

One question though about the using it at school thing. I want "my" and I mean "my closest" friends to start to learn this and the whole reason i want them to learn is because i want there to be somthing else to talk about instead of the whole drama scene that has been going around lately. So would it be alright if I did that?Of cousce I would make them come here and read the whole forum if i have to just so they get what this is about.

Yes it would be okay, but it would be best to discuss it with them outside of school. It's definitely a good idea to have them come here and read up on the culture and ask questions if they have any. Remember though, that a lot of people in school will do it just because they think it makes them look cool. Make sure you're careful about who you bring into the culture. Choose friends that you think aren't going to just do it for the attention but for the love of the art. Good luck :)

im going to admit i did not read though all of the posts, so if my point was already brought up please dont flame me and my local time is 5:35 am right now so yeah.... but anyways

as far as stringing in highschool, what if it was at prom?

because:

1. its a club like scene (sorta)

2. last time you will ever see those people, so there is not much if any personal gain?

and adding on to my last post, would it be fround upon if i gsed at parties but i wore a mask to conceal my identity again to avoid any personal gain,

1. it's not at all like a club. trust me.

2. doesn't matter it's the last time you see those people. that's not what people want when they show off in public. people like attention from random people

3. yeah, it's really frowned upon.

im going to admit i did not read though all of the posts, so if my point was already brought up please dont flame me and my local time is 5:35 am right now so yeah.... but anyways

because:

2. last time you will ever see those people, so there is not much if any personal gain?

its def not like a club, dont take this offensively, but im guessing your in highschool since your talking about prom, have you ever been to a club before? most are 18/21+...prom, your dressing up in nice suits and doin other shit. its def not like a club.

just dont glowstick at prom and try to impress the guys or ladies at all. its not worth it in the long run, dance to express, not to impress.

also for the thing with the mask, just dont do it. no offense but its just fkn stupid

because:

Prom = chapparoned dance with a bunch of HS kids bumping and grinding to current approved pop radio music. Completely different than any rave or 21+ club

Why would you want to string during the prom anyways?

2nd Rorok on the mask, sounds like its just something else to put attention on you

all good. you asked and everything is all good. nobody is judging. even if you were to do it before and then you asked about it, it probably be okay as long as you understood why we think glowsticking at prom is bad for everyone

I couldn't find a rules thread (one specifically labeled "rules") so i figured this would be the best thread to post in. I wanted to see the rules regarding performances. I'm not a stringer or freehander but I figured double staffing with lights is included in the rules.

Anyway, I recently was informed of an open mic night at my university where people can get up and do anything. I was pondering whether or not I should staff or not. I read the first post a little bit and saw the bit about why not to do this and how it perpetuates a stereotype and I can understand the stance and respect it. If I do decide to perform, I will do a short speech explaining what I am doing and say stuff to the effect that not everyone who goes to raves, does or watches lightshows, or listens to edm, does drugs. Basically stuff to try and break the stereotype.

I was hesitant to even come onto this site because of things I have heard that have gone on. A lot of my current friends used to frequent this site and have either stopped coming or have been banned. I don't really know the details of why any of that stuff happened or what even happened, but I don't want to know anyway. I just want to meet other people who can truly appreciate an artform and have similar interests.

I couldn't find a rules thread (one specifically labeled "rules") so i figured this would be the best thread to post in. I wanted to see the rules regarding performances. I'm not a stringer or freehander but I figured double staffing with lights is included in the rules.

Anyway, I recently was informed of an open mic night at my university where people can get up and do anything. I was pondering whether or not I should staff or not. I read the first post a little bit and saw the bit about why not to do this and how it perpetuates a stereotype and I can understand the stance and respect it. If I do decide to perform, I will do a short speech explaining what I am doing and say stuff to the effect that not everyone who goes to raves, does or watches lightshows, or listens to edm, does drugs. Basically stuff to try and break the stereotype.

I was hesitant to even come onto this site because of things I have heard that have gone on. A lot of my current friends used to frequent this site and have either stopped coming or have been banned. I don't really know the details of why any of that stuff happened or what even happened, but I don't want to know anyway. I just want to meet other people who can truly appreciate an artform and have similar interests.

Since you are not glowsticking in the original sense (stringing/freehanding), I'd see you would be allowed to do this. What I'd explain in your speech though, is that what you are doing, isn't normally done at raves (I think). Not to say that you don't have to do a speech on the culture, I think it would be a very good thing to do so. Wise words are allways good, even if only one or two people will take listen to it and understand it.

Cheers

I would never see someone doing double staffs with glowsticks attached and think "rave", "drugs", "ecstasy"... I don't see a problem.

I would never see someone doing double staffs with glowsticks attached and think "rave", "drugs", "ecstasy"... I don't see a problem.

I still think some other people would still make that association given that technically what I am doing is giving a light show. I just wanted to be on the safe side but, in any case, I decided not to do it, or at least hold out on doing it until I feel I can say something very informative and concise.

I want to do anything I can to break stereotypes.

"You like psytrance? You must be a druggy!" .... No

"You're a DJ? You must be a player!" .... No

"You're Filipino? Did you watch the Pacquiao fight?" ....No

ANYWAY! I'll stop there. Don't want to rant too much XD.

I don't think we have a cohesive "rules" thread posted on the site, but here is the link to the articles regarding our policies, view points and what not: http://www.glowsticking.com/articles-and-t...ng-culture.html

Also, if you're ever confused, feel free and post a question or ask a staff member.

Yes, the rave scene has been dilluted from its original form.

but...

Yes, there are still pure scenes out there that uphold pure rave values. These are scenes that people have to seek out. Scenes where everyone is aware of, and respects the core values that the scene was founded upon.

An example of this would be L.A. based MoonTribe. Their events are only shared among "friends". You won't see a flyer or a web posting about their events. Everyone in attendance repects what they're about and only people who put out good vibes are allowed to attend. Many of their raves are held in undisclosed locations outside the L.A. city in the desert.

So to say that the rave scene has been completely diluted is not completely correct.

:rainfro:

It has been years since someone posted here, but I gotta say it, you are all fools for agreeing with cleric. Just because it isn't accepted doesn't mean you shouldn't show off you talents and art. Would divinci not paint for fear of being made fun of? I think talent shows are a good idea, and the point is to show off your talent that others cant do. Thats the oiint.

all good. you asked and everything is all good. nobody is judging. even if you were to do it before and then you asked about it, it probably be okay as long as you understood why we think glowsticking at prom is bad for everyone

Who made you glowstick king?

nobody made me king, but um, you are on this site posting using our resources... you don't have to. there are alternatives. in my opinion none of them are as good as glowsticking.com, whose members probably made up the vast majority of glowsticking moves you use today

anyhow, lets just agree to disagree and you leave this site? if not, we can show you the door as well =)

Your view of the rave scene is skewed. Your "rave" scene since 2004 is not the same rave scene of which the ideals of this site are based.

Raves are supposed to be underground. They arent supposed to be discussed on forums, online, mass flyers. It was supposed to be word of mouth. Everyone there was part of 1 family with no seperations.

Cleric,

Honest question for you. If raves are decreasing in numbers and are not supposed to be discussed via...well any media, how can there be a future in the scene...and furthermore...how can they be found by people...say, like me.

I know plenty of people who are interested in 'the scene', and although Iowa isn't exactly a hoppin' place, we're all willing to travel a few hours for a good experience. A major problem though has been the exclusivity in how people get chosen to be invited and the rather lazy methods of introducing more people to the scene. Acceptance has gotten a whole lot more nervous as raves get split in two...1 half in the public eye and under harsh scrutiny, the other half so far underground that its impossible for new people to hear about them. How do you think this is going to be countered in the future?

In NY you have the above ground. You have the underground.

The undergrounds don't really get discussed in forums or posting of flyers. They are smaller usually illegal parties held at a random location. So a new person comes into the scene. They go to some of the parties they hear about. Assuming they are half way social they will meet people at these parties. Eventually someone says "hey come to this underground I heard about". That person is now in.

It's not like people who sells drugs put up flyers and post that in forums either. But people manage to find out.

Honestly as far as the parties being put into the public eye... And this is just my opinion.

If promoters arent going to be responsible and keep an eye on the amount of people they allow in, the things they allow people to bring in and how old these people are it will bring a bad image to the scene and the music itself. This happened before when the parties got bigger and bigger and more people showed up and more drugs were done and bad shit happened. The scene kinda died. The feeling of family died. It'll happen again. Everythings just a big circle. We always end up back at where we started eventually.

Now. I know that NY has an underground scene still. It has random outlaw parties where only certain people know about it. From what I heard even those started to have random people show up and some bad shit happened regarding girls being taken advantage of and yada yada. But before that It was a sense of family. Everyone could be trusted.

So i can understand why it might be more difficult to find the underground. But thats because not everyone should be there. Some cant handle the drugs they may try, some might want to steal, some might want to take advantage of people. Its kept a little quieter so you can bring in people you know wont hurt anyone. Thats the idea behind it.

It's kinda of how we ask people to please read the culture section here on gsc. We ask them to read the rules of the site. If it's not something they think they can follow or respect we ask them respectfully to leave and maybe come back when they can. It's not that we dont like the people. We just want to continue to hold onto the idea of not having people who will disrespect the art and the people who put so much time into it before them to create the things they are attempting to learn.

There can be a future in the scene because people won't just let go of the smaller nonpromoted secret parties. Some of those things are like the holy grails of parties. There will always be people dedicated to doing something. They are smaller but the experience can be so much greater and people dont forget that.

Of all the parties I went to. The most memorable ones were the ones I went to in that warehouse in downtown brooklyn. 9th floor was where the party was. You took a freight elevator up to the party with the bass getting heavier with each level. The windows were floor to ceiling looking directly at the manhattan skyline. Everyone was there to party and have a good time. There werent fights, or beef. If you lost something people helped you look for whatever it was. These parties didnt start out as heavily promoted. It was still word of mouth. It was incredible.

Thanks for the quick response Cleric. Its good to get some insight from people who have been around longer than myself. I'm glad there's a team like you guys to emphasize how best to approach the scene., and I look forward to getting more involved in the near future.

I agree with cleric, but also, how does one such as me who lives hours away from anywhere with a scene (abilene may have one rave a year) find out about other less known parties where family still has meaning? I only see or hear about the ones posted here on gs.c