Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleric

Crews, Highschool, performances, future.

182 posts in this topic

Guest Anthony7xD

hmmm....

so your concluding that im in a crew?

ha

ive actually hung out with ppl that are into battling

one of them my best friend intimidates ppl in meetups and raves.

i really never saw the point in battling, i love seeing everyones different styles, or seeing alot of ppl come together and just string.

they're not concluding that you're in a crew, they're pointing out that you might not match up totally with our beliefs & they want you to explain what you mean.

hmmm....

so your concluding that im in a crew?

ha

ive actually hung out with ppl that are into battling

one of them my best friend intimidates ppl in meetups and raves.

i really never saw the point in battling, i love seeing everyones different styles, or seeing alot of ppl come together and just string.

I didnt' conclude anything tough guy.

I said explain yourself.

your best friend sounds like a joke. Intimidates people at meetups and raves. LOL.

I'm saying your a self absorbed, instigator...my post was fairly straight forward.

Why would you want to be friends with a douche? And you know what they say about the company you keep...

Guest Anthony7xD

ok this is to all of you,

he likes to battle, but yet he still gets along with everyone,

but watch what you guys say.

im not saying shit about your friends,

im out of here, i wanted to be in this site cause it looked fun to be in a helpful community,

but i guess i dont qualify for this.

laters

you wanted to be in a helpful community and then constantly question how we do things here for the whole time you were here. Enough is enough. So no you don't qualify for that.

Anthony7xD

delete my account,

idk how to.

[Delete Comment] Today, 03:48 PM

BYE

If only all problems/difficulties in life would solve itself =)

I am curious, I don't know much about your guys culture... I have never been to a rave. I am just a guy who loves the art, I have only showed it to my family, I am not doing it for attention.

I will tell you though that I was part of a performance group, I am not sure if you would call it some kind of crew, I am not 100% sure what your definition of a crew is.

I have performed on 2 occasions in public, both were cultural festivals showcasing different arts. Now I know that performing brings its baggage, I have heard people talk bad about me for what I do and I have been praised for it as well.

My questions are why does the culture feel like it wants to stay underground and out of the light. Why do you guys avoid the public. I think my main confusion is because I come from a Poi background, rooted in bringing together the Maori people, and has gone to bring together people from all over the world. How come Glowsticking avoids this spread, people shit talk Poi all the time but they aren't doing it because of what people say. Why does GS.c care so much about reputation when it is all about no battling, why would you need any reputation to begin with. If you went into public right now and showed a million people your talent and they said you were worthless, why would it matter? If you are doing it for the right reasons then their opinion wouldn't matter...

I will say again, I dont really know the culture...

and if you feel like i dont belong I understand, feel free to ban me, I dont want to upset anyone...

But if you question why I am here... its because I love everything about glowstringing and poi, nothing is more free and liberating then when I am practicing in my room. God gave me no talents and this is the way I express myself. Something inside me wants to show the world so that maybe someone else can feel the way I do.

My questions are why does the culture feel like it wants to stay underground and out of the light.

Because you can see the glow better in the dark ;)

Sorry, joking.

The Reason why we want to stay underground is because the general public has certain (very false) ideas about glowsticking/glowstickers (all glowstickers use drugs is one of them). We want to change this, but we won't be able to do this by just stepping into the light of the worlds attention. Changing these ideas takes time and while individually the people might be (partially) tolerant to glowsticking, they are very intolerant when in a group (not to say that this is true for everyone but throughout history this is the case).

Back to why we don't step up to the world's attention just yet, with the existing mindset about glowsticking, chances are small that we will be accepted and tolerated. Even worse, one incident involving an overdosed child will probably open the gates for a witchhunt on glowstickers.

Your poi background may indeed be what confuses you. Poi is indeed more mainstream/accepted and in my opinion this is because of two things.

First: Poi is not related to drugs (to the general public, glowstringing=raveing=drugs)

Second: Poi as you said comes from the Maori and as such comes from an old and exotic culture which makes it easier to accept for people. Glowsticking is something relatively new and new things are generally opposed for no other reason than that they are new and unknown.

I hope that this made sense, if I'm wrong on something, please correct me (this goes out to all of you). I consider myself to be learning about the culture, so if I maid a mistake somewhere I would love to know what it was. Afterall, we should learn from our mistakes, what else, is the use of history ;)

Cheers

Tico that was really awesome you're awesome. - no kidding what-so-ever -

But back to a few posts back. I mean I know the guy was being very apposing to the site, and even saying some dumb things

But what the hell, don't insult his friend that's just pathetic. Granted from what he said we would all agree with what you guys said, but still it's kinda besides the point. We want our sight to be known as a community willing to teach, and spread the art with out it being sold out?(correct that if I'm wrong PLEASE) So why would we want to make it so someone is going around saying "Fuck GSC those fools are stupid" ?

Just doesn't make sense to me why you guys would handle that in such a harsh way. But that's just me I guess.

^^Hatboy, the reason Cleric and I handled it the way we did was because he as an instigator. He made numerous posts that were just videos of high school performances and crews, started heated topics for no other reason but to get a rise out of people and was a continued neusance. Sorry, but I tried many times in the past to be nice and help people and it has always come back to bite me in the ass. Its time to hold people accountable for their actions and words.

^^ i agree with u ive seen to many people posting STUPID yes i said STUPID shit its rather annoying after a while people need to sit down and read before making dumb post our threads that will just start some issue...

Tico- Thanks for your input, to be honest I was afraid that there would be somekind of backlash at my lack of knowledge or being in a performance group. My blended past with poi and glowstringing is a very confusing thing, to be honest I just want to see glowstringing become as worldwide and accepted as Poi.

But do not get me wrong, I am starting to understand the differences between their origins and will not force my opinions onto the culture.

I want glowstringers to be respected and praised, not to be looked down upon. I hope one day people look upon the stringers of the past as originators and artists who never gave up on their passion. I respect the way you guys go about it, this is all your culture, you have the responsibility and privilege of taking care of it as you see fit...

^^Hatboy, the reason Cleric and I handled it the way we did was because he as an instigator. He made numerous posts that were just videos of high school performances and crews, started heated topics for no other reason but to get a rise out of people and was a continued neusance. Sorry, but I tried many times in the past to be nice and help people and it has always come back to bite me in the ass. Its time to hold people accountable for their actions and words.

Well now I know :3

And knowing is half the battle!!!!!! -raises fist- mah bad

Oh and I guess I was really tired when I started writing that because now that I look back there was only 3 people, I thought there was at least 8 at the time just going off on the guy. So yeah... MAH BAD

I've read through this entire topic from beginnings to end and i'm quite disappointed with the behaviour of the site staff and senior members. I agree entirely with the concept of trying to have a community which is based on the principles of Peace, love, unity and respect, not just in respect with the raving scene, but globally in a world so antagonised by conflict, terrorism, poverty and greed and so much more, this sort of mentality is crucial to ensuring that we as people will continue to live in harmony and feel safe in this world.

However i was very disappointed by the aggressiveness shown by the staff to those who disagreed with the views expressed by the staff. I do not perceive swearing harshly at a poster, regardless of what he/she did, is an act of love or respect, and in fact i was offended and angered by the way people were treated in this thread.

Is this not a place where we as members should feel free from aggression? is that not what raving is about? acceptance and love and having a good time? yet you bitterly and angrily responded every time someone disagreed. I don't expect you to change your beliefs if someone disagrees, but on a site that promotes PLUR as its motto and core values, i do expect its administrators and moderators to react in a cool and courteous way, no matter what was said to them.

You guys are setting the tone for a younger generation here, most of the members are ten years younger than the mods and root admins. cleric most of the younger members idolise you and watch you closely. By being so aggressive your telling them that its ok to be so aggressive to anyone who disagrees, and you create a generation who are just like the ones ruining your scene now.

I don't think that on the whole your terrible people, in fact i'm amazed at how you've inspired so many young people to become eager and enthusiastic about being PLUR (apologies who using it as a noun). I'm loving the site because i've made some great friends in the short time i've been hear, and i really hope that i'm still here hanging out with the same guys and more in ten years time, i just want to ensure that this site is really serious about being peaceful, loving, unifying and respectful.

Its easy to treat those you love well, even evil people do that, but what makes a person truly admirable is when they treat their enemies by the same standards.

I would have to agree with Jasperkt on this. Throw the hammer on people that are just being absolute A$$es and are not helping a topic, but a PM should help in controling the situation not a post. Just an opinion.

Where to: I still have a hard time in understanding where and when people are "allowed" to stick and string. It seems unless you are sequestered in your room, with other GS.com'ers in your room, or at a rave you can't even think about it. I understand we as a community are trying to protect our members from the general mis-conception of glowsticks and raves, but as stated in previous posts keeping this expression in the dark (pun intended) doesn't help change conceptions but extends it. I would state very firmly that it doesn't matter rave or club, illicit drug use will always be a factor. The separate times I saw Armin, Deep Dish, and Schultz in a DC club (all at Fur if you require locations) I was asked if I had E on me by random people who were already abusing it. To me this concludes that we have more of a problem in the EDM music scene not just a sub-set of music or events.

Crews: At a social function you will always have cliques. It is impossible to get around it. But if you want respect for yourself, you must show it. Sometimes people have a hard time understanding that principle. I don't agree with crew/gang mentalities. I'll find other people to hang out with. Honestly, as a community we are a crew; just a big one.

String vs. Poi: Still in the dark (again the pun intended). Read all of the posts here and the link to the other website no longer exists. I see the equipment differences and tempos, but ultimately I would think all stringers are poi-ist not all poi-ists are stringers. This should be a thesis topic.

My hunch is that this is more of a political battle with other websites/communities than it is to change the rave community. If we are trying to make a sweeping change steal one from the punk rock community, have terms and agreements to include being a straight edge raver (straight edge = no drugs or alcohol).

Take it for what you will. I appreciate your guy's work over the past few years developing this website and bringing people together. My condolences for Sparrow's family. Actions like that are what makes the scene very offsetting to the public. If this rocks the boat to much feel free to delete this post. I'll keep quiet now.

_Dave

Jasperkt and hockeydave,

People don't get shot down because they have different opinions, they get shot down because they are not willing to listen to/accept certain guidelines which this community has.

As was stated in Anthony's case (see a number of posts back), a lot of his posts were attacking/contradicting the gsc core values and that was the reason why he was banned.

People generally don't get banned, those that do get banned are usually the ones that say that their views are better than that of this site while they are not even considering that the staff/site view might be right.

As for the language used, yes, it is harsh at times and I can understand that you dislike it. I myself am not really a fan of using harsh language. I would prefer the use of strong language. Please realize however that if you get numerous posts by a single person who is constantly attacking your personal way of life that this can become rather annoying and in these situations, harsh language is spilled.

hockeydave,

there has been a thread about Poi vs. stringing somewhere, I'll see if I can find it and will add a link in this post later.

It shows the differences between the two.

Cheers

EDIT:

I'm sorry, I can't find the thread which I meant at the moment, if anyone else can post it in here than I would greatly appreciate it.

ás i said i took the time to carefully read through ALL the posts. I believe not only he, but several others raised a number of good points, none of which were addressed in the torrent of angry responses by those defending the manifesto. If the admins don't won't to respond to the question because its been discussed in detail, thats fine, just reference them to another link, however in a topic where the rules are being outlined, you will always have to expect discussion on them.

People have a right to disagree and to debate rules, it is a healthy thing, and ensures that the rules stay fresh and current. otherise it becomes a dictatorship, with one person telling everybody what to do/

I would be less angered if the admins had reacted calmly and with sincerity instead of just blowing them off. No opinion to the contrary was considered in this thread, an attitude of "conform or leave"has been laid down, which does not adhere to the same prinicpals of peace, love unity and respect. I say it again, how is swearing and calling someone a "fuck face"acting out of love?

This thread has done nothing to reassure me that this community is about PLUR. Honestly, this behaviour is not on. There needs to be a big change in the attitude of people around here before we can start saying "we act on the principles of plur....".

Well I read all the posts as well before my reply to you and as I said, I am not a fan of using harsh language either (the 'fuck face' for example).

The point I tried to make is that the person which I referred to has a mentality which resembles: "I don't care what you think/say, my way is better" (this is how I percieved his posts in this and other threads). If I'm not mistaken, there have been discussions/talks with him about this in other threads but he just did not listen. I believe Cleric (if it was someone else, please correct me) once said: "plur does not mean that you have to be a doormat and let others walk over you". What I'm trying to say is, that there comes a moment when you just have to be strict, perhaps even dictator like if you want to describe it as such, to people, who, over a long period of time, have created this situation themselves.

As for the dictatorship part, in no way do I concieve gsc to be a dictatorship. Compare it to everyday society, you have to listen to what a select group of people say (the senators/president). If you brake the rules set by them (the laws) you go to jail. GS.C does not have a jail (or has someone secretly build a gsc dungeon? :P ) so instead of jailing people, the admins/staff bann them.

:inmyopinion:

Cheers

Tone it down a hair Jasperkt. I think now this is getting a little emotion driven, or I may have read your post with the wrong tone in mind.

However, the board was flood controling me so I don't know why it wouldn't let me post this previously. Maybe we could get Cleric's or Cynic's input on this as an objective viewpoint and not necessarily in a defensive posture of the manifesto.

Jasperkt and hockeydave,

People don't get shot down because they have different opinions, they get shot down because they are not willing to listen to/accept certain guidelines which this community has.

As was stated in Anthony's case (see a number of posts back), a lot of his posts were attacking/contradicting the gsc core values and that was the reason why he was banned.

People generally don't get banned, those that do get banned are usually the ones that say that their views are better than that of this site while they are not even considering that the staff/site view might be right.

Agreed. However, dissidence is the greatest form of freedom. Never thought I would say that before. haha. I understand why the other guys were cut loose from the community. Now I am having a little fun with discussions.

[Jasper I swear I didn't read your last post when I wrote this, I SWEAR!]

hockeydave,

there has been a thread about Poi vs. stringing somewhere, I'll see if I can find it and will add a link in this post later.

It shows the differences between the two.

I read the posts and other than speed and ties to a Madori tribe it didn't seem that different.

Maybe I haven't grasped the concept yet. :P

Still, I stand with my concepts brought up in my where to section of the post. I do believe that if the "world class DJs" addressed this item openly and directly it would help to clear the of un-truth-itudes (made that word up) of the EDM scene.

Thanks,

_David

I read the posts and other than speed and ties to a Madori tribe it didn't seem that different.

Maybe I haven't grasped the concept yet. :P

Still, I stand with my concepts brought up in my where to section of the post. I do believe that if the "world class DJs" addressed this item openly and directly it would help to clear the of un-truth-itudes (made that word up) of the EDM scene.

Thanks,

_David

The differences I wanted to point out is move based :P stringing generally uses more wraps, and poi uses stuff like weaves, butterflies, flowers etc. Not that you can't do wraps with poi, or weaves with glowstringing, but basically wraps come from stringing and stuff like the weave comes from poi :P

Who do you refer to with 'world class DJs'? Because Paul van Dyk and Tiesto for example have openly stated to be against glowsticks (just the item, not even the danceing with it) because they are: "too ravey". I do agree that if influential people like Ferry Corsten (does anyone know what his stance on sticking is?) would be pro glowsticking/glowsticks that it would help a lot.

Cheers

Okay, let me sum it up for you guys.

Our community. Our rules.

If you walk into a convenient store without a shirt and shoes with a dog in tow they will kick you out. There is no debating the topic.

The poster was warned on numerous accounts for his posts. He posted threads purposefully antigonizing us and posting things that we clearly are against. Instead of listening and trying to learn he continued to try and convince US that we were wrong. Sorry, but thats not how it works.

My last point is on the use of ravers and glowstickers so loosely. Not everyone here is a raver. Even some of the oldest members and staff no longer have time to attend raves (not that they don't want to). We are trying to seperate us from the rave culture, so your point of "isn't that what raves are about" does not hold any sway in the terms of glowsticking and glowsticking.com. PLUR is an ideal, and again it is used as an excuse or defense in a situation where another person pushed the envelope. Don't throw PLUR in people's faces just so you don't have to think of a defense for statements made...

That tier of DJ's yes but not sticks or no sticks. The mentioned problem is that drugs are associated with glowsticks. If we fight this generalization that will go a long way in improving the scene's image. Crap get Cynic on Larry King, Tout the PLUR principles and win the 70 to 80 year old crowd. HAHA

I need a few minutes more to respond wholely to the topic but I am trying to get out of work right now. I'll respond either later tonight or tomorrow to expand my view. I am really interested though to other's (supporters/admins) thoughts of mine.

EDIT: Yaa, I never went to raves. I need sometime to digest and respond tomorrow. But is the community trying to separate us from raves? Isn't Electric Daisy a rave? Hate to do it but define raves as I think of them not being in clubs and arenas. Maybe a little to newbish of a question.

Thanks,

_David

Yes, we are trying to seperate glowsticking from the idea that people who glowstick all do drugs.

And, while EDC is in fact an Electronic Music Festival that does not mean that we want to be asociated with the drug usage that Electronic Music is sometimes tied to.

There are barely a few "raves" that are underground and those tend to be the troublesome ones. Hence why I tend to always refer to them as "events" instead of "raves".