Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleric

Crews, Highschool, performances, future.

182 posts in this topic

I was finally able to read this thread and i must say that i agree with you 100% Cleric.

Though I may be new to the community, i am understanding the culture and people within that culture more and more every day. It is a sad thing to read that people can be so childish, even if it is unknowingly.

Whatever happened to the peace and love?

I swear every time i see someone post an opinion that is contradictory to the those of the site, even if it's simply to share the view, there's a staffer on hand to rip them down. I understand the need for rebuttle; to solidify your beliefs, to help someone understand why you thinkt the way you do, but there's absolutely no need for "fuck face" to show up anywhere in that post.

He makes a very valid point, you know. If it is an ART then it needs to be expressed freely (YES this includes glow-poi in the park and freehanding at talent shows). All I seem to get out of this groups wanting to "protect" the artform is to keep it in the dark.

Here's a suggestion. How about some of you more "education" oriented vets, who know so well about what happens to stickers in HS, and crews, etc. Post up a bit more about EDUCATING!!!!

When, WHEN will we see a post or article that suggests a good pre-formed speech, or whatever else you feel might help, so that people who feel the need to stick in public places (and YES clubs are totally public Forums. Afterlife in Dallas, 17+, anyone with an ID and ten bucks gets in) can do so while educating the public. I hear a lot of talk about how no one does this and how the people who stick in public just do it for applause and ignore the education aspect.

HOW ABOUT YOU STAFFERS FUCKING HELP THEM WITH IT?????

None of you, that i've seen, ever, EVER take the opposing opinions seriously. It's as though you digest them, shit them out, and start screaming and getting hostile about how you're all right because you've seen it, you've been here longer, you've been in the scene, the art, the culture longer. As a TOTAL noob, to both the art of sticking and to the site itself, I'm tired of it. You remind me so very much of all of the wiccans I once associated with that made me ashamed of my faith, with this mentality of "We have this bright, beautiful, blessed thing. But people don't aprove of it so shush your mouth and keep it in the broom closet."

I pose one closing question, Cleric. When is the time to bring the art to the fore? Sticking in HS, public parks, country clubs; these are all signs that the artists are ready. The people who want to do these things know what possible implications come with it. It's time for you guys to stop being Protectors of the Art, and start being Leaders of the Artists.

If you really want to shed the negative connotations that come with being a glowsticker, stop telling everyone to hide in the dark and start telling them HOW they can live in the light.

I shall respond to this when I'm more awake...

Just like there was no reason for "fuck face" there was no reason for you to drop the F bomb either. So ... whats your point about that?

As a totaly noob to sticking, the scene, the site. Maybe you should go experience more of the scene in general and then come back and have this discussion.

As for the wiccans and whatever point you were attempting to make. You can go out and experience what we are talking about. Go talk to people who've glowsticked at HS dances and if anyone started afterwards just to be the best. Did it just to make the kid who was trying to express himself look like crap. Go talk to people like Sparrow who's had to deal with battle minded individuals in texas even to this day.

We arent saying dont go and do it on the beach , in a park, etc etc. We are saying dont make a fucking spectacle of yourself doing it on a crowded street corner because "you feel like it". Have an ounce of thought behind your actions. Maybe you think it's all cool and METAL to go against the grain but when you grow up and look back upon your actions you realize how fucking stupid and childish you were acting.

When will it be ready for huge mainstream exposure? Who the hell knows. But since promoters still want to whore it out to just make competitions and change what the rave scene is about then it's not ready.

Protecting and leading goes hand and hand. We are protecting it and trying to lead the artists to present it in a way that doesn't bring negativity to the art and the scene.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:inmyopinion:

Your big attempt to even be a part of the community is a whole 39 posts.

You didnt even take the time to make an avatar.

Your bullshit about staff not helping anyone is just more crap spewing from your filthy mouth. We do more to help people on this site with more things regarding LIFE then any other fucking site out there.

Your post was just riddled with horribly played sarcasm which took away any chance of me taking it to heart.

One fucking thing about this site i love is the fact that our members have a reading level above the 4th grade. I trust in that the members of the site who read the articles or these rants can come to their own way of explaining what we are trying to express. If they can't thats fine. Some of them ask us and we answer. Just because everything isn't posted on the boards doesnt mean people dont seek out knowledge other ways. They dont all make little shit hole posts like you did to try and ask questions or express points. Some of them take the time to add one of us on whatever messanger program they have and talk to us.

It's odd how some members who have come from the rave scene and actually been to parties have read what I've posted and other staff have posted and actually understands EXACTLY where we are coming from. Maybe you need to get out of that small town that has done it's best to sap everything away that's worth caring about.

and that was cute how you ended your post... in the dark..come into the light. I'm gonna try to do that myself now. ya know end on a note that makes me sound smart even though this whole part of the post was just angry and takes away credibility from anything i might have to say. So here's my last chance to get it back. Thats what you were aiming for i can only guess.

A friend is someone who is there for you when he'd rather be somewhere else.

Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty.

Well, as always Cleric managed to say what I wanted to in a better way then I am able to. I am still going to put in my own two cents.

First, and just because this is so off topic and actually hits close to my (cause well, I am wiccan), I understand where you were trying to go with the comparison. Essentially you are saying that like the very same few wiccans that you've met, you believe that we are trying to keep glowsticking in the dark for the sake of keeping it in the dark under the guise of "protecting it". But it seems like with both glowsticking and wicca as a religion, you eather having grasped the reason why these things are suggested, or you never asked. Or you are blind. Though I doubt the last one. People on this site believe that glowsticking shouldn't be doing in HS, in certain public forums (such as Oh snap, a dance competition or talent show), or even in crews. I will get back to that in a bit though. Still got the whole wicca thing which is nagging me. Perhaps the wiccans you met told you not to tell people that you are wiccan cause maybe, just maybe there have been quite a few cases in the past where someone coming out of the broom closet has been met with a sort of prejudice that they did not expect. Because maybe, while it is acknowledged as a religion by the IRS and last I checked the military, there are people that refuse to acknowledge it as such? Perhaps because people have lost their jobs, their homes, and yes, the religion itself has been used against them in divorce cases, and there are enough examples of legal cases involving discrimation that a freaking book was written about how to handle such a situation. And maybe because atleast one of these people has seen the darker side of society and how it responds to things it doesn't know nor does it care to know about.

Now that I type that up, it's funny how the similarities are quite surprising. And for the record, as I said before I am a wiccan, but I am not "in the broom closet". However, that doesn't mean that I believe everyone who follows this religion shouldn't be eather. Like my views on glowsticking and where it is appropriate, I believe that it falls upon the individual to make the distinction as to who to tell, if anyone at all.

Anyways, back on subject.

The reason why so many of us, especially the staff and older members (and by older, I don't mean age), have this stance on glowsticking and where it is appropriate is because we have experienced it. You talk about it should be allowed in Highschool, in talent shows, anywhere really, if it's allowed at a club (and yes, even an all ages club.). Tell me, have you noticed the difference in vibes? Have you ever actually taken the time to realize that the vibe at a club is different then the vibe at a HS dance? Have you heard the stories about people who while in highschool got tagged as druggies, even though they are sober ravers, just because of the association of raves=drugs? Have you experienced this yourself? Ever have someone try to pwn you cause they saw someone glowsticking at their highschool dance and were uberl33t while you were at a party? Ever notice their aggression in body language? Or on the opposite end of the spectrum, ever try to randomly session with someone just to have them drop their sticks and get pissed at you because you were more experienced then they were and it showed in the way you danced, BUT you weren't trying to show them off but rather just possibly make a new aquatence in someone who appearently shared a love for the same dance as you? Here's the extreme, have you read "Saving Texas" and actually grasped what happened to Sparrow and Missy cause of the crew mentality bullshit?

In the end, the decision people make as to where to glowstick falls on a few things IMPO. Vibe is one of them. What sort of vibe the place you have has, and what sort of vibe you will put out. I am not going to say that I've had to drive to go out to a rave in the middle of nowhere, and compare the vibe of a highschool dance to that. I am going to compare my actual experiences though. I've seen what glowsticking in talent shows could do to a scene, even talent shows at a club which are passed off as competitions. I have had people get in my face when I started glowsticking while I was still in highschool, just cause they found out that I glowsticked and try to get into a battle with me, just to hear them say "Yeah, I stopped doing that (glowsticking) cause it was no longer cool". Later on in life, I've had people insult me or get in my face and try to battle me while I was at a club and then get pissed when I refused to battle. Hell, I've been to clubs where I've kept my sticks in my pocket cause the vibe didn't feel right. I know what certain actions under the banner of "keeping it free and letting the world experience it" can do to the community.

And before it's asked, what about glowsticking in a public park or beach..... to qoute Cleric, cause he said it best... We arent saying dont go and do it on the beach , in a park, etc etc. We are saying dont make a fucking spectacle of yourself doing it on a crowded street corner because "you feel like it"."

As for that insistance on people relaying the culture if this is not done at a club/rave/acceptable party. Again, it's about the vibe. If you're glowsticking at a club that's throwing an event, even though it's not the same vibe as an underground rave in a warehouse, you do notice a certain vibe. People tend to be..... I dunno how to describe it. They are there to have fun, know you are there to have fun, and are just more accepting. This doesn't apply to all clubs, as I said, it's just a vibe. Something which you have to experience.

And I am just going to shut up now cause I am ranting and have just lost my train of thought.

I saw this post last night and was going to reply, but I was too tired. Cleric pretty much said it all.

If people don't like the site, or the people on it, then why the hell are you here?

YOu make a great point, RaverBebe.

And on that note. having seen so much flamage from staff (who should know better than to call members "fuck face" and dig through their old posts just for ammunition) I'm out.

You kids have a nice life

(edit) The delete account button doesn't seem to work, one of you want to help me out with that? (edit)

I saw this and took a double take. I figured that since members want the inside to some of the vets "experiences" I could add to this. This is going to be short, and very generalized so ready, set, GO!

Taking it WAAAAAAAY back. year 1997... Age, 17.... First rave....

Then, unlike now was all about PLUR. It was tight enough that acceptance was easy. Raving was all about how you felt in the moment, not about technique. No one cared how "good" you were, only that you were having a great time and feeling 2 things, Good vibes, and the music. At no time were we in the "underground" about ruining that. It stayed that way until it hit a mainstream (in HS) in 2000. It became flyer based, and the music shops started broadcasting raves in general. At my first rave, and several afterward, it was indeed (as Cleric pointed out) word of mouth. Everyone wanted in, and teh hip hop generation laid claim to it. No offense to the hip hoppers here, its not everyone. But crews were (and still are) a big deal in the Hip hop club scene. Once that happened, everyone began this competition movement, trying to be better than everyone else, destroying the harmony that started the scene. As accepting as "true" ravers are (or were in this case) we let it in and didn't realize our mistake until it was too late. thus the invention of "house parties". Blind acceptance, from what I understood of mstrmind's post, gives too much headway to negative influences into the culture. I can say this however, I am very accepting of things that go on within the rave itself. We all have vices, and we all make mistakes, but thats what truly makes us understand why we want what we have to stay "swept under the rug".

About "raving" glowsticking in HS. Its been said that doing this in high school exposes our culture to those that are not ready to accept it the way it is meant to. This is a veiw of many of the veterans (and not just members of GSC). Kids, need to experience and if they are going to find out about this it should be at a rave and not in a school setting. It envokes not only the wrong veiw of teh culture, but teaches them its ok to do everything you would do at a rave in class, during school events, ect... Its against any "decent" raver to cause chaos.

Crews... No as its not really something that started in the original culture. Secondary to that, as was stated, it can end badly outside of the circle. Example, the Saving Texas thread (also previously stated)

battles: the same as above. No No NO!!!!!!

Really take this in, as this applies to everyone that accepts blind tolerance within the culture. the truth is, only a select few have actually experienced a "real" rave. One a select few truly know where this culture came from, and only those select few can say for certain that its route to the mainstream (for teh short time it was there) was a mistake that we are not willing to repeat. yes its hard to find events in some places, but if theres friends, good vibes, and good tunes (and good other things if thats what you're into), who needs the club. Its all about who you're with, and how you feel. As with everything in a forum, this is teh general "opinion" of the poster and is not meant to harm, only to enlighten. I have no clue how many agree with me or disagree. Frankly, it doesn't matter. Someone asked to be educated, so lets educate. Lets teach tolerance of things that revolve around PLUR, around good vibes, music and an all around good time. Lets not teach blind tolerance in regards to negative outlooks on Raves, the rave culture, or glowsticking as an art.

So I lied and said it was short, but it seemed necessary to get the point across and to "educate" as some of teh newer members of the culture seem to think we are not. Read, learn and above all, PLUR!

lol you're only giving them publicity by posting that, and that video is from 2005, why did you post such an old video?

publicity not intended i just wanted 2 show him that there's still pl that string 4 the wrong reasons

publicity not intended i just wanted 2 show him that there's still pl that string 4 the wrong reasons

well duh, we all know that..especial members who have been here more than 4 years.

I totally agree that glowsticking doesn't make you any more popular or cool by doing it publicly. Can't tell you how many times I've been called a fag or a loser while glowsticking at night in Milwaukee. Not that I care. I don't think glowsticking is ever gonna be the next big thing. Too many stereotypes about ravers.

Well written, Cleric!

Now that I actually read this post. I need to apologize.

I'm a HUGE noob and I "glowsticked" with two cell phones at a school dance last night. I didn't mean to tarnish the art of glowsticking, that I'm forming a huge respect for. Again, I apologize for disrespecting the culture of glowsticking.

I'm a HUGE noob and I "glowsticked" with two cell phones at a school dance last night. I didn't mean to tarnish the art of glowsticking, that I'm forming a huge respect for. Again, I apologize for disrespecting the culture of glowsticking.

well I wouldn't call it glowsticking, more or less 'cellphoning' :D

Its really awsome for you to be honest about what you did, and apoligizing for it. I dont really consider using cellphones as glowsticking, but I understand what you mean. With you coming forward and telling us this shows that you understand and repect our culture and values. Thats awesome dude.

it may have made some reference as to using glowing objects, but it's all good... no one knows about the glowsticking culture at first... we all make mistakes and learn from them (many have made far worst mistakes)... anyways, hopefully, you'll stick with our glowsticking community and help expand it!

anyways, here is a reference link about the glowsticking culture, if you missed it the first time: http://www.glowsticking.com/articles-and-t...ng-culture.html

if you have any further questions, feel free to ask around the boards :)

well I wouldn't call it glowsticking, more or less 'cellphoning' :D

Its really awsome for you to be honest about what you did, and apoligizing for it. I dont really consider using cellphones as glowsticking, but I understand what you mean. With you coming forward and telling us this shows that you understand and repect our culture and values. Thats awesome dude.

Thank you for accepting my apology.

Just finished reading this thread, and damn, I sure learned a lot. I'll admit, I'm a senior in high school right now, and I learned about glowsticking from a friend in my grade a little over a year ago (maybe 2?). I didn't really know anything about a culture, I just thought it was fun to do and looked pretty badass.

Of course, that was back then and this is now. I may still be an immature kid to many of you veterans, but I'm more interested in the culture and art now. I didn't see the big deal with stringing at school, though I get your points clearly now. With me and stringing at school, it's not about showing off to me, it's just about enjoying myself with a friend or two that I know is interested in the same art. I used to go off to a dark corner with just one or two people and we'd joke and have a good time showing each other new moves and things like that. Yeah of course there was a few people every now and then that'd walk by and see it and be interested for a few minutes, try it, lose interest, and walk away. I never really had the intention of showing off or doing public demonstrations, it's all about enjoying the art with my friends who have the same ideals as I do. Of course, this is only because I've not yet had a chance to go to a real rave. It kinda sucks being secluded by yourself in your bedroom whacking yourself in the nuts with your sticks without anyone to laugh about it with. :P

Kinda got lost with what I was saying :huh: Anyways, I respect the culture and the art, and I've always thought "battling" was a joke and shouldn't be accepted. I've never even heard of "crews" until I visited this thread to be honest. I also can say I've been guilty of whipping out cell phones at a school dance to have fun, and I also apologize for that. Nobody there really appreciates it anyway. I just need to hook up with my friends and get some info on local raves and gatherings so I can really see what it's all about.

Looking forward to learning more about the culture and maybe one day I'll see one of you guys and learn a thing or two.