Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleric

Crews, Highschool, performances, future.

182 posts in this topic

once again, great post cleric... it took me quite some time to finish reading it all :)

but yeah, I'm pretty sure there are people who support crews and are still on the site, I not sure who they are, but hopefully they get with the program or leave the site, now.

the title sucks. we should add to it a little and call it the "GSC MANIFESTO, BY COMRADE CLERIC"

VIVA LA REVOLUCION!

russiaczarclericmj7.jpg

KNEEL BEFORE THE CZAR

Excelent post Cleric. As it's been stated before, I am sure that this was something alot of us have been thinking. I know I personally have been.

And I third Dave's suggestion.

russiaczarclericmj7.jpg

KNEEL BEFORE THE CZAR

HAHAHA! Great pic!

I totally agree with everything Cleric said, it's good to see a thread like this.

And...LOL @ FreakDeke's comment on the submarine, I guess that message really did get to Cleric! :)

GSC CULTURE

This is another thing that bugs people from what I've heard is "gsc culture". I'm aware a lot of people just pay this lip service. They say they follow it just to stay on the site. Why? Why is this site so important to you that your going to lie to everyone here?

Do you think this site would be what it is had not the "culture" been followed?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Performances

I really dont think performances should be done outside of clubs or raves.

If you do a performance outside a rave you should do a fucking speach about what your doing

Why should you give a speach? - Do you honestly think your doing anything to not perpetuate the stereo type of glowsticks = drugs? Your audience doesnt know SHIT about the art because your not telling them. People in your audience might start simply for the fact they want to be on stage like you and be getting people screaming OMG YOUR HOT, and I WANT TO HAVE YOUR GLOW BABIES...you know what i mean. Your stipulation on doing the performance is having to tell people about the art and try to kill stereotypes. That is my thought on it at least.

People talk about breaking stereotypes of the glowsticks = drugs a lot. Those who arent speaking about the art before performing are doing nothing to break the stereotype. They are on a fucking stage with tons of people watching, a perfect opportunity , a perfect chance to take advantage of the attention they are receiving. But what do majority do? Nothing they get up there stick , get praise, then get off stage. They talk to the few people who approach them afterward and then say dumb shit like "yeah i spoke to everyone after, everyone knows what it's about".

If you haven't noticed yet i hate it when people say EVERYONE is one thing or another. Thats just dumb. Not everyone is one thing or another. Not everyone likes bread, grapes, glowsticks, trance, and NOT EVERYONE understands your not a fucking drug addict or e-tard by you performing at a church performance, school, or sweet 16.

You are the people who are giving nothing back. You are the individuals who are not helping those people who really do want glowsticking to be respected and not thought of as a drug related art.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glowsticking in school

Reasons for GSc not wanting you to glowstick in highschool are simple. People are immature. You may think your classmates are mature at this point in your life but wait a few years after HS and your going to look back and realize how immature people really were.

You can explain what your doing to people till your face turns blue but they will just laugh with their friends and make fun of you. ESPECIALLY if your already an outcast. This art isnt going to make you cooler so the cool kids like you. They will if nothing else hate on your more because your an outcast taking attention away from them.

Following along with the immaturity thing, is the fact that then people want to think of a cool name for their group of friends *cough gag *crew *cough* ,because that's what you see all over MTV now a days.

Some live in small towns that teachers do have a strong influence over a persons future or are very judgmental on little things. You glowsticking is possibly making them think you are a druggy, people talk, rumors start, your only screwing over your future by making a public spectacle of the art.

There are no 100% guarantees any of these things will happen to you. But over the past 6 years i've seen these things happen over and over and over and over. The rules about this are set to avoid these negative things from happening.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What things are based on.

GSc culture is based on the rave culture. Not the washed down highly promoted nonsense that fills the scene now (parties, festivals). Raves were not always as in your face as they are now. They were harder to find. They were more of a family when you went to a party. People shared with each other more. They expressed themselves freely without being judged.

What part of that doesn't seem oddly familiar to the way we do things on this site?

We are a all closely knit. We share what we know to anyone who asks. We keep it less in the public eye simply because it's not ready to be. All to go back to what i said earlier. Anyone who is determined to do performances and doesn't give some sort of speach is not doing anything positive for the art. We do NOT want Americas Best Glowsticking Crew to be a show. We do not want to see infomercials for "the latest craze hitting america...GLOWSTICKING". We are trying to take a gradual approach to things so it can gain the respect it deserves without it being watered down and turned into something ugly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope for the future.

People from gsc will grow up have kids and those children will be blessed by learning about the art as a positive thing. Not a drug related thing. Some people from this site might become important figures in the future and can help shape laws and the way parties are looked at in their community.

Maybe this is to idealistic for some to understand because it's not a short term goal. It's another reason we are so steadfast in defending our rules and "culture". We know where we started, we know where we would like it to end up. How we get there is based on the way the members of this site behave and treat the art.

So if this is all to much for you to handle there are plenty of sites that are more "party " sites, where no one gives a shit about anything.

I am personally proud to be part of a site that wants to achieve a greater goal in the future, albeit distant future.

wow cleric I think I'm about to cry because that was so beautiful....

this thread truly deserves a new title and a sticky up at the top so everyone sees this for years to come

,stringing in public sucks,

hey i like stringing in public. not to show of though. its just more practice time. not looking for an audience. most of the people in public dont even know wth i'm doing. lol

Dont you just love the ignorance of society. 'not'

Its weird, I have read this post at least 3 times now and it just make me happyer and happyer =D

Its nice knowing the fact that everyone on this site is not part of the mainstream bullshit.

Thank you cleric.

hey i like stringing in public. not to show of though. its just more practice time. not looking for an audience. most of the people in public dont even know wth i'm doing. lol

Dont you just love the ignorance of society. 'not'

see right there is the core of why a lot of people don't like stringing in public

people see you doing it and have no clue about the art itself... the most common response is to associate you with being a druggie and you're not doing anything to help change that perception, you're just exposing it to more people who will usually just end up judging you (along with the rest of us)

Cleric that was very, very well written. Thank you for writing that, it gets the point across even better than the articles do. On that note, I'd like to see both of these things you've written go into the articles section. I'm sure we'd all feel much better referring people to an article that looks like that than the current jumble of text in the cultural articles.

You rock Cleric! :You-Rock:

Agreed with your first post, completely and totally snagged by the second post. We've talked about this, & reading what you wrote up = kickass. (Maybe merge your 2nd post up so it doesn't get missed?)

It's about damn time you released a wall of text, because it has more relevant info in it than anyone else can possibly pack into one. ;)

Epic fucking kudos & thank you for posting the unspoken truth. I love GS.C!

I agree with most of cleric's post. I hope its not against the rules that i have agree with everything?

I think that the gs.c rules are too restrictive but its not my site and i don't make the rules so by posting i accept them. I understand all the motivations for everything that gs.c culture is trying to create and maintain. For people that have been to raves where everyone is welcome and its like a family environment, it can be hard to go to raves today.

The scene I was introduced to was one of acceptance of all people. No discrimination of background/age/drug usage/etc. The music and environment and now glowsticking brought people together. And with that attitude, the scene grew into what we have today -- a community made up of old skool (and sometimes jaded) and new ravers.

And that's the irony I see with this site or others being founded on rave culture. Rave culture is not something that has a specific definition. We all have our own, and mine is one of open acceptance.

That would give 2 options for a gs.c glowsticking culture:

1 - Glowsticking is a sub-culture of the rave culture inheriting the good and the bad

-- Which means acceptance of rave=drug=glowsticks

2 - Glowsticking is its own art/dance form that happens to be prominent at raves.

-- Which means public performance/HS clubs/crews should be supported like any other talent

I view glowsticking/freehand as dance like any other.

I view glowstringing as a derivative of poi.

*Sigh*

Can someone get me a fire extinguisher?

Sorry if that came off inflammatory... just pointing out the contradictory intentions of rules, regulations, and ravers. (and give IMO)

wow dude i gotta say u got major collonez (for those who dont no sapnish BALLS)dude fuk crews n clicks for the first part. all that does is seperate us and make another 'crew' feel down and bad when they get whooped up by another talented group of kids... i dont even wanna say talented when sum one in a crew cuz they aint thier just holding the rave cultur back.... its all about peace and love not whos better than who. thier are reason why the rules on this site are set and strickt with it... not for jokes and giggles cuz the vets seen what happens to clicks and n ppl who rave in high school... to be honest u need to go read sum articles and see why we are the way we are. before u open ur mouth and say noob stuff like that .. and yes i said noob the mean one just for saying u agree with sum stuff. if u dont like the way we do it hear thier other places u can take ur lil kid nonces to... look im sorry im cumingofff hard but it is what it is ya dig

I agree with most of cleric's post. I hope its not against the rules that i have agree with everything?

I think that the gs.c rules are too restrictive but its not my site and i don't make the rules so by posting i accept them. I understand all the motivations for everything that gs.c culture is trying to create and maintain. For people that have been to raves where everyone is welcome and its like a family environment, it can be hard to go to raves today.

The scene I was introduced to was one of acceptance of all people. No discrimination of background/age/drug usage/etc. The music and environment and now glowsticking brought people together. And with that attitude, the scene grew into what we have today -- a community made up of old skool (and sometimes jaded) and new ravers.

There's a difference between a place where everything is tolerated, and then PUSHING that tolerance-- the drugs- the music- - the culture to everyone else who might not be asking for it. RAVES are the place for this, NOT high school. high school is in many ways the ANTI-THESIS of raves. high school is about conforming to society and learning to play within the society construct of society and listening to authority.

don't mistake the "freedoms" teachers give you at a stupid prom or a homecoming with a real rave. there is no school that will let what happens at a real rave happen at these things. they are just blinding you and everyone else.. trying to quench your appetite for the real with the SHALLOW visuals of people holding glowsticks.

holding glowsticks with sandstorm with some whack DJ in the background is NOT a rave people. you are being fooled. the real thing is infinitely better, and as soon as you realize that school dances are merely a fun thing AUTHORIZED by the school under THEIR rules and THEIR chapersons, the faster you will realize what real fun is.

And that's the irony I see with this site or others being founded on rave culture. Rave culture is not something that has a specific definition. We all have our own, and mine is one of open acceptance.

Does open acceptance extend to acceptance of non-tolerance? because that's what supporting "raves" in school is. does open acceptance extend to support of battles?

there is a logical limit to everything, and I think you found yourself running into one right now.

That would give 2 options for a gs.c glowsticking culture:

1 - Glowsticking is a sub-culture of the rave culture inheriting the good and the bad

-- Which means acceptance of rave=drug=glowsticks

2 - Glowsticking is its own art/dance form that happens to be prominent at raves.

-- Which means public performance/HS clubs/crews should be supported like any other talent

Does rave=drug=glowstick=trance=DNB=HOUSE?

Does glowstick=DNB=candy?

Just because glowsticks and drugs exists AT a rave scene which you might also find trance, DNB, house also playing does not mean glowstick = drugs, or house = trance or DNB.

2. Your number 2 doesn't even have a logical follow-through. Raves aren't public performances. What you do inside of a club isn't a public performance. Just because there are 10 people watching doesn't mean it's public. A high school IS a public place, and not only that it's an AUTHORITARIAN place where you are FORCED to go to. What the hell does that have to do with crews?

I view glowsticking/freehand as dance like any other.

I view glowstringing as a derivative of poi.

See the problem is, you seem new to the site, and you are arguing against people who've been arguing this since 2002. That's 6 long years of long debates from people who've been partying and going to raves for decade or longer. This site MIGHT have the name glowsticking.com, but it's probably got older veterans than most any other "rave" site and keep to the same ideals.

You can talk abouthow it was when you first started, but I'm sorry, I've been to a lot of places for raves and over a long period of time, and I can assure you that your opinions are very non-sculpted and it's something everyone says when they don't have the benefit of debate and discussion over a long period of time.

There's a difference between a place where everything is tolerated, and then PUSHING that tolerance-- the drugs- the music- - the culture to everyone else who might not be asking for it. RAVES are the place for this, NOT high school. high school is in many ways the ANTI-THESIS of raves. high school is about conforming to society and learning to play within the society construct of society and listening to authority.

don't mistake the "freedoms" teachers give you at a stupid prom or a homecoming with a real rave. there is no school that will let what happens at a real rave happen at these things. they are just blinding you and everyone else.. trying to quench your appetite for the real with the SHALLOW visuals of people holding glowsticks.

holding glowsticks with sandstorm with some whack DJ in the background is NOT a rave people. you are being fooled. the real thing is infinitely better, and as soon as you realize that school dances are merely a fun thing AUTHORIZED by the school under THEIR rules and THEIR chapersons, the faster you will realize what real fun is.

I agree... you shouldn't push anything on anyone at anytime. Raves are not the place for this and neither is HS. HS is no different than any other institution or group or individual in terms of conformity and authority. What should be done is provide education and opportunities for learning so that each can make their own decision. That's why I don't support 'hiding' glowsticking or anything (within reason).

"high school is about conforming to society and learning to play within the society construct of society and listening to authority."

The same thing could be said about this site or any other site that has members and rules.

I also think it's better that schools accept the raving style by allowing HS to have dances/parties. It's better than if they ignore it completely and claim ignorance. And thank god the same thing doesn't happen at those HS parties as "real" raves. It's not meant to be a duplication of the "real" rave experience but to only take a piece so that others can have fun. I think its better for a traditional institution such as HS to be more open and accepting to new generations. Plus these 'chaperoned' and 'authorized' party gives kids a chance get some exposure the the music that wouldn't be there otherwise.

Will they have the same appreciation as you or I? No.

Does open acceptance extend to acceptance of non-tolerance? because that's what supporting "raves" in school is. does open acceptance extend to support of battles?

there is a logical limit to everything, and I think you found yourself running into one right now.

Yes. Open acceptance extends to acceptance of non-tolerance.

Yes. Open acceptance extends to the support of battles.

I try not to discriminate against anyone or group (but I admit I do, I'm human). I may not like you or what you do but I can respect your decision to do it. (Within reason) Open acceptance should extend to everyone. As soon as a group is distinguished, it cannot be called open. I am open to letting people do whatever they wish as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

It has no logical limit because it is only a presentation of my ideals. In practice yes there are strong limitations. Logic --> Crews exist. Battles exist. Crews between battles exist. Battles without crews exist.

There are good and bad people that exist both within and out of crews. I understand that you're past experience has developed your perceptive on crews. But my history interacting with crews (not just GS crews) has been both positive and negative, therefore I cannot condemn them all.

Does rave=drug=glowstick=trance=DNB=HOUSE?

Does glowstick=DNB=candy?

Just because glowsticks and drugs exists AT a rave scene which you might also find trance, DNB, house also playing does not mean glowstick = drugs, or house = trance or DNB.

2. Your number 2 doesn't even have a logical follow-through. Raves aren't public performances. What you do inside of a club isn't a public performance. Just because there are 10 people watching doesn't mean it's public. A high school IS a public place, and not only that it's an AUTHORITARIAN place where you are FORCED to go to. What the hell does that have to do with crews?

I think the confusion on the first part was the equal sign. I meant it as an association with one another. All those things are associated with each other (in general). So again my answer would be yes to both questions. They are stereotypes giving to people who rave or listen to techno or glowstick. Of course they don't to apply to everyone. But stereotypes usually start with some truth (granted its usually about 25% truth/75% false). I would say that all genres of techno are equal (trance==house==DnB==HHC) in that they are are all a subset of techno just as techno is a subset of music.

Part 2 seems to be a differing on the what determines a public place. Do you mean public as in a common area??? I think of raves/clubs as public performances. I think that anything that can be viewed outside the privacy of my home (or any other place of solitude for practicing) is a public performance. It doesn't matter if 1 person is watching or 1000. That also includes YouTube videos. I never tried to say that HS and crews are related. I will admit that crews/cliques exist at HS. I also wasn't aware that students were forced to attend HS. I went to 3 different HS and never heard of anyone being imprisoned or fined for not going to HS. It seems that the AUTHORITARIAN place you are actually referring to is the home with Parents or legal guardians.

See the problem is, you seem new to the site, and you are arguing against people who've been arguing this since 2002. That's 6 long years of long debates from people who've been partying and going to raves for decade or longer. This site MIGHT have the name glowsticking.com, but it's probably got older veterans than most any other "rave" site and keep to the same ideals.

You can talk abouthow it was when you first started, but I'm sorry, I've been to a lot of places for raves and over a long period of time, and I can assure you that your opinions are very non-sculpted and it's something everyone says when they don't have the benefit of debate and discussion over a long period of time.

Yes, I am new to posting on this site. I originally joined in 2006 after viewing some of melvinorc12's awesome tutorials. But then I started graduate school and concentrated my focus on work and school. But I am not new to raving. I have been since 2004 (I know many people have been doing so for much longer than I) and in many states and in different countries.

I wasn't attempting to sculpt my opinion to persuade anyone... I kept the post at a high-level and general on purpose. I only meant to express my opinion and interpretations on the subject.

I understand your intentions and reasoning. I commend you on this site and what its been able to accomplish. But I do not blindly follow anyone and cannot... only trust my own ideas. I enjoy reading post by individuals with individual thoughts. So please do not allude that my opinion means any less because I am not a 'veteran' of the scene. I see myself as a raver... no different than one who will attend their first rave this weekend or the one who will attend their 100th.

Your view of the rave scene is skewed. Your "rave" scene since 2004 is not the same rave scene of which the ideals of this site are based.

Raves are supposed to be underground. They arent supposed to be discussed on forums, online, mass flyers. It was supposed to be word of mouth. Everyone there was part of 1 family with no seperations.

you entered the dregs of the scene in comparison to what it was. Thats what happens. The "scene" shifts to something different, new people come in think what they are seeing is the greatest thing ever and the older people become "jaded" because they know what it could be and has been.

We've already stated the reasons a million times why we dont like crews on this site. Why we dont like battles, and why we don't like people in HS doing it.

I also wasn't aware that students were forced to attend HS. I went to 3 different HS and never heard of anyone being imprisoned or fined for not going to HS. It seems that the AUTHORITARIAN

Listen if you want to be a fuck face and play with semantics then we can argue all day long. You are "forced" to go to HS because in the US if you are looked down upon if you did not complete HS, and did not go to college. That is the way your are "forced". So stop saying shit to try and refute every point someone makes because then people dont care what you have to say anymore. Especially when you need to use word play to do it.

I am open to letting people do whatever they wish as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

We are not going to take that risk with crews after whats already happened. AND I FUCKING DARE YOU TO ASK ME WHAT THAT IS. If you dont know. Then just stop replying to this topic because your talking out of your ass and you havent spent any amount of time to do any research about the scene you feel your apart of since your "a raver... no different than one who will attend their first rave this weekend or the one who will attend their 100th."

Oh and gosh darn it...those crews were ...drum roll please. HIGH SCHOOL KIDS..DUN DUN DUNNNN.

What should be done is provide education and opportunities for learning so that each can make their own decision. That's why I don't support 'hiding' glowsticking or anything (within reason).

Thats why we are here. To educate. But there are plenty of things you can learn about in school that were detrimental to a particular group of people or area. The people that learn about those things and then decide to do it themselves are not the people we want on this site (Crews, battles).

HS kids classically follow what they see on tv and are influenced by their surroundings. You do not have majority in HS walking around with judgment free views of the other students they are attending school with (like at a rave...real rave).