Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Azzie

Minutes to Midnight

18 posts in this topic

Linkin Park's most recent album released in 2007 with hella hype. Must say that this album definitely had a slightly darker and my synth based feel compared to Meteora and Animation.

First single was: What I've done. Which was awesome and consequently No More Sorrow, Bleed it out, Wake and Given up.

Some of the reviews are as follows.

IGN:

"This is definitely a step in the right direction and a stepping stone for things to come."

Bill Lamb of About.com considered Minutes to Midnight

"an impressive achievement" and went on to say: "Linkin Park handles their explorations of a direction forward with impressive grace here."

A review for iTunes stated that the band appeared comfortable "when they deign to rock", citing "Given Up" and "Bleed It Out", as opposed to the "brooding" nature of "In Pieces" and some others. It also suggested that the change was Linkin Park "embracing inevitability".

It did however, rate lower on Metacritics and has been getting mixed reviews from the main stream media critcizing them for starting to sound too much like U2.

Overall, I'd give the album a 8 out of 10. They can defnitely do better, however I love the changes.

Your thoughts? Do you like the neo-rap alternative rock style? Are you feeling the darkness in the lyrics? Have you been listening to their music for a long time etc?

I like the 'rap hybrid' style of linkin park a lot more than minutes to midnight. I was alright with Mtm but i wouldve liked it more If it was a bit more like the older style of linkin park. But I've been filling that lack with Fort Minor.

I like the 'rap hybrid' style of linkin park a lot more than minutes to midnight. I was alright with Mtm but i wouldve liked it more If it was a bit more like the older style of linkin park. But I've been filling that lack with Fort Minor.

I love MtM.. but you can never beat the originals. Breaking the Habit and Faint are my all time favorite LP songs... Fort Minor. Mike Shinoda. EPIC...Styles of Beyond? EPIC-ER. haha

The new album blows. They can go fuck themselves. I downloaded that shit...listened to it and deleted it. You gotta write a special fuckin album for me to actually delete it.

I didnt enjoy the video where they were acting like U2. In fact that made me just have a negative attitude walking into the rest of the album.

I like my rock with more adrenaline to it.

Linkin park is my personal favorite band, and i loved this album.

I was really wanted to hear another meteora style, but i like the

way they turned it around.

i've been an LP fan since HT EP came out and i do like the transition because it shows they can do something else out of their comfort zone and trying new things. but it's a little too poppy that what they used to sound but i still like the album.

I used to love LP... a lot. But Minutes to Midnight, was just so mediocre and lacking in that intensity of emotion that I loved in their earlier work. Honestly, everything of theirs before Jay Z was awesome, especially Reanimation, which to me is their most epic work to date.

No, Mtm was just really disappointing, it's like being reunited with your long-lost lover only to have her tell you she had syphilis while with you. Just a let down...

I used to love LP... a lot. But Minutes to Midnight, was just so mediocre and lacking in that intensity of emotion that I loved in their earlier work. Honestly, everything of theirs before Jay Z was awesome, especially Reanimation, which to me is their most epic work to date.

No, Mtm was just really disappointing, it's like being reunited with your long-lost lover only to have her tell you she had syphilis while with you. Just a let down...

lol took the words out of my mouth... or fingers lol

i used to like LP, but mtm greatly disappointed me, its not that i dont like the music, its not wholey BAD music, but it is however, NOT Linkin Park -ish

if you look at it this way... if you're biggest inspiration as a glowsticker was trying to explore your limits and trying new things to express themselves and decided to practice a different dance form, would you be disappointed with their current work and just reminisce on their glowsticking instead of respecting them as an artist altogether?

i highly respect linkin park for making minutes to midnight because it shows that they try out different styles and embrace it.

if you look at slipknot.. so many people used to love them but then album after album their sound is the same and people grew tired of them and their latest works they were of course forced to abide to mainstream and look what happened..

i like the idea of linkin park creating a new sound to keep things different and interesting and if you're really a fan you should look at things that way.. not just for linkin park but to any artist or band that you like.. don't hate on them just because they sound different fron what you're used to.

/end rant :inmyopinion:

if you look at it this way... if you're biggest inspiration as a glowsticker was trying to explore your limits and trying new things to express themselves and decided to practice a different dance form, would you be disappointed with their current work and just reminisce on their glowsticking instead of respecting them as an artist altogether?

i highly respect linkin park for making minutes to midnight because it shows that they try out different styles and embrace it.

if you look at slipknot.. so many people used to love them but then album after album their sound is the same and people grew tired of them and their latest works they were of course forced to abide to mainstream and look what happened..

i like the idea of linkin park creating a new sound to keep things different and interesting and if you're really a fan you should look at things that way.. not just for linkin park but to any artist or band that you like.. don't hate on them just because they sound different fron what you're used to.

/end rant :inmyopinion:

Agreed, it's always a good idea to try new things and to push boundaries, and I do highly respect them for trying something different, I certainly respect LP, but I just don't like what they did. I didn't like the outcome, but definitely encourage them to keep trying new things, which is probably why I love Reanimation so much, because it was different from their usual stuff, far more electronically based, but still awesome.

I really enjoyed minutes to midnight. <3 I found the difference in their work rather progressive and it attracted me to the CD. The sound is far more somber, less angry and tortured, and overall it's more expressive and kind of ballad-like for some tracks. I really love the songs Leave Out All the Rest, the Little Things Give You Away, and Given Up. Bleed it Out wasn't necessarily my kind of noise, though.

A lot of people who were attached to their old style were dissapointed in the changes, but as stated earlier a musical artist willing to explore new boundaries isn't only brave or interesting to the audience, but also is demonstrating internal growth within the band/artist. =)