Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wes

Thoughts on Copycats (Biters)

59 posts in this topic

I cant stand it when people copy my moves exactly :'( . It takes me forever to think out and get wrap combos right and then in 5 minutes someone watches me and tries it and jsut does it. I mean im not saying i dont take ideas from stringers because i do but i try to make my own twists on the moves or change them and the transitional phases. I just cant stand when someone does the exact same thing.

VERY Well written.

THAT IS TOTALLY HOW I FEEL!

-RG

wow that took a while but its nice to be versed in the subculture of how things became the foundation for what they are today and i can see dave played a big role in knowing where and what came from whom and when. i had witnessed stringing back in 2002 in our only EDM club here (which was shut down in that same year but began in 98) and also witnessed tutting, liquid, freehand, using orbits and the such. at the time i had no idea what people were doing in the clubs i wish i had submerged myself much earlier then i did, but i also needed an open mind and i didn't have that back then. props to dave for being the record keeper on that and keeping people in check, even back then he was promoting the core values and it shows me even more that he truly believes in them and represents them to the fullest, there is much faith and i believe in these values as well. great post!

It seems now these day,we got thiefs stealing a few moves people do on videos.Its a shame to see someone do the same routine what you've done.especially if they try to manipulate your style..:sm_sigh:

you can't always be original. as it says in the linked topic there will be times where you think you've come up with something but then you'll find it developed by somebody else in a different region. either way, in order for the art to grow and expand we learn and take from each other to form new ideas. the problem in lies with giving credit to those you have learned from.

seconded, very true jstudd. not to mention people willing to share their ideas usually relates to their maturity. i had a whole rant about the SA development down here, because i've talked to quite a few of them now. im trying to sway some of them to GSC, and some of them are considering it, but the rest are very secure in their thoughts and opinions. i'll talk more about it later though. jesus christ what am i doing, i have a final in ten minutes LMAO

Man I know exactly how you guys feel finally. This past Friday I danced for only the second time in front of a crowd, and being one of only two freehanders there I figured that my style had to be different than the other guys, bc I mainly juggle and stall. Well I danced and in my routine I have one part that I coreographed out to combo a bunch of stalls and throws. Later that night my gf (who has seen me dance a TON and knows my routine) pulls me over to see that kid copying my exact juggling routine...granted he blew the back stall and gave up after it but the fact he even tried to copy me made me kinda angry.

None of the posts I read really said what to do about biters....do you go up to them and tell them to get their own style, or do you just try and learn tricks that noone else can do?

I called him out on it but I didn't do it in a way to cause a scene...no one wants to ruin someone else's night. That and starting a beef with someone can end badly so it really isn't a HUGE deal if you ask me...rude and shows they have no class but what are the odds the two of you are going to dance next to each other or at the same time?

well i mean take it as a compliment man, he saw your style, liked it and went with it. think of how you started freehanding, did you see someone who you would like to emulate? did you copy them as well? its only human nature to do something like that, take one persons idea if you like it and try to improve upon it. Remember in a party we aren't there to compete with one another, maybe you could possibly see something that he does that you like or maybe you can teach him something, and help him grow.

To XFreeHandGlowx---------

I understand that better now. Ive been stringing for 2 1/2 years, and my friend has been doing it for a couple months less than me. If you were to watch us string together you would almost be seeing a mirror image of me. Ive created my own style of stringing and try to make it unique and different from others styles. But he doesnt seem to make his style any different than mine. We hang out together and when I learn a new trick and show him, he enjoys it and tries to learn it immediately. Then later in the day or week, say we run into our other stringer friends. As we begin a session, he mirrors the combos/tricks that I showed him earlier whenever, but exactly the way I did. It impresses whoever, but he doesnt say where credit should be duely noted, and it makes it look like I bite him but mine only cleaner done.

That is a verry great topis. From back in the ILR days i assume. The origin post that dave put is awsome. I remember reading this a while back.

CHEN AND ELSEWHERE I BITE YOU FOREVER!

Simple, 'nuff said.

I was practicing with a crew of b-boys (the only way to learn is with others, they were kind enough to allow me to practice with them), and when they asked me to give them a little demo and actually -practice- in front of them (I was nervous), one of the guys shouted IT"S DAVID ELSEWHERE!.... I couldn't have been more proud.

And you know what, I still learn from him. Sometimes I think to myself.... Dude, that move is elsewhere. And you know what? I sit my ass down and try to learn it.

But at the same time, I'm learning six steps and trying to learn that goddamn windmill. Decidely not elsewhere-ific. There are many styles that I incorperate into my own. And elsewhere's style is something I would love to consume as deeply as I can.

But I can't, and besides, there's all sorts of other things I want to be able to do. Like some junior-esque power moves.

i have to agree with bobo here.....

SPAZZ, i look up to you and (almost) idolize your skills in glowsticking.....

Chen is amazing,

Gio....come on....

im obsessed with RG's fluidity,

Etc, etc.....

BUT

all of these people have facets about them that im fond of, not just one person in perticular.

therefore, i "bite" from everyone, making a proverbal "potluck" of freehanding moves,

and then, at least i feel, making it my own, through variations of my own....

if that's pissing people, let me know now, cuz, fuck, i don't want to piss people off when i'm enjoying what im doing. :unsure:

But I can't, and besides, there's all sorts of other things I want to be able to do. Like some junior-esque power moves.

good luck on that man! i know his planch push ups take years, i'm sure amongst other things as well, like the hollow back, and hand stand push ups

Biting is stealing when credit should be due. One day at Havok in Houston I saw a spinner peform a wierd manuver while figure eighting with strings (mini corkscrew). I went up and asked him what it was and he kindly taught me ^^ (horizontal buzzsaw in between a corkscrew). Very simple, and something I can toss into my move list now. This was about a 3 months ago, and I wouldn't have handled it any different. Don't emmulate, ask someone to teach you. If you string with the same person every day of course you will share similar styles. If you don't want him to be a mirror image, don't teach him your new moves. If he copys you when seeing you, thats biting. Otherwise, tell him to try persuing another venue of moves.

My oppinion on videos. If you put it on a video for the general public, it is a way to teach anyone how you did it. People may copy you, but its hard to stop that on a global scale. The fact its on a global scale means there is an even bigger chance of it being inadverdent. There is a variety of moves, but the amount of people doing them outnumbers the moves in a landslide