Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fofo

Makin' my own sound

20 posts in this topic

I'm looking on advice for what I should use to make any sound.. I've read about synthesizers, and midi stuff, but I don't know what kind of synthesizer I need or midi tool. I'm looking to make my own beats and sounds for electro, house, and trance mostly. Right now I just have FL Studio and want to put in a few add-ons for those genres so I would like some experienced advice please :D

Really all you would need is some kind of MIDI controller, a way to connect the MIDI device to your computer and a lot of patience.

If you're just getting started, I would recommend a basic MIDI controller (it's like a synth) that doesn't have on-board sounds. There's a slew of them available from companies like M-Audio, E-Mu, Korg and just about every other major brand out there. You want to have a decent amount of keys and knobs to be able to assign them in your software and make use of them. I don't think you need a full 88 key setup, you could probably do with a 49 key controller just fine. You can find these starting under $100 and all the way up to $500+.

After that you need a way to connect the MIDI device to your PC - again devices sold by major brands are relatively inexpensive to get started. M-Audio makes a USB cable setup that's $30 and you can even step up to a USB or Firewire device that adds 1/4" and XLR inputs for just a slightly larger investment (this is for recording audio, instruments, mics etc).

Make sure your computer will support either a native ASIO driver (most regular sound cards do NOT) or will work with ASIO4All as supplied by FL Studio - otherwise you will end up with a noticable delay from the time you press a key on the controller to the time it sounds on the speakers. <20ms isn't really noticeable to the human ear, but when you are dealing with delays of 100+ms it becomes increasingly difficult to play in real time and compose music.

Once you have those 2 things you're ready to start assigning different effects and controls to the various keys and knobs on the midi controller.

As for add-ons - there's a bunch of instruments you can add but with the versatility of FL Studio and a MIDI controller to make everything easier to manipulate there's endless options as to what you can create. With Sytrus you can create any sound you want and with a MIDI controller with enough knobs you can assign them to vary soooo many parts of the sound to modify it on the fly that there's not much need.

You can download WAVs or soundfonts from the internet to have a huge library of sounds to pick from. There's tons of free resources online to find plenty of free sounds with no licensing restrictions.

I'll be real with you man. Ditch FL studios. Look into Live, Reason, and Pro Tools. Im not saying you cant make music with FL studios, but its just not up to par. Yea its easy, but everyone knows a FL beat when they see one.

I'm a DJ and I've messed around with reason and live, and lets just say I'll stick to DJ'in. Anyway I rewire Live into torq, but as for making my own music, no thank-you. Hope you take the advice and try and get your hands on Reason, Live, or Pro Tools. You will be so much more impressed. Plus on their websites, they have links for all types of genre add-ons for what you want like Electro,trance, breaks, and so on.

I'll be real with you man. Ditch FL studios. Look into Live, Reason, and Pro Tools. Im not saying you cant make music with FL studios, but its just not up to par. Yea its easy, but everyone knows a FL beat when they see one.

I'm a DJ and I've messed around with reason and live, and lets just say I'll stick to DJ'in. Anyway I rewire Live into torq, but as for making my own music, no thank-you. Hope you take the advice and try and get your hands on Reason, Live, or Pro Tools. You will be so much more impressed. Plus on their websites, they have links for all types of genre add-ons for what you want like Electro,trance, breaks, and so on.

I recently made the move from Reason to FL Studio 8. I feel that FL Studio gives you much more control over your sound and customizing it as opposed to Reason. If you're using a MIDI controller with enough knobs and controls, you can really get into FL Studio and control a lot more than you can with Reason.

Reason's "ReFill" support (their proprietary sound packaging) is pretty limited. While you can find some packages for sounds, they're not always great. I've gotten plenty of refill packs that were worthless and had maybe a dozen sounds out of thousands that I would use. The beauty of FL Studio is you can use almost any downloadable WAV or soundfont out there. The sampler support in FL Studio kills the NNXT samplers in Reason by a mile. Don't even get me started on combinators in Reason - what a total waste of processing power and a great method for removing any human thought in the production process.

Pro Tools is an entirely different beast. I wouldn't recommend Pro Tools to someone unless they had $20k to spend on a setup and I definitely wouldn't recommend it to someone who isn't making use of the actual audio tracks. It doesn't have ASIO driver support so you're dealing with all native drivers - which means you absolutely must buy compatible I/O and MIDI boards in order to not deal with 100+ms of latency when recording.

A great alternative is Cubase rewired with Reason. It gets you in the door with a much lower price tag than Pro Tools and has a lot of the same features, plus the ability to add a wide variety of effects and VST instruments that will give you all the options you need to create music.

I haven't messed with Ableton Live much but I've heard good things about it - from what I've seen of it, it's more intended for mixing and remixing than it is for music production.

I use FL Studio and have no problem with it.

I have a friend who is a professional musician in a niche community, and he uses FL Studio. If you use it correctly, no one will know the difference. IE: Don't loop the same crap over and over and over again. Vary it, and make 16-32 beat patterns. Automation is also key.

FL Studio can be just as useful as Ableton if done correctly in terms of production.

Ableton Live is perfectly capable of music production. Their instrument suite (Sampler, Operator, Analog, Tension, Electric), the essential instruments and session drums kits, and the huge array of both audio and midi effects gives you quite a lot to play with. You do need a little knowledge about how synths and samplers make sounds, but there are plenty of resources out there for learning that, and it's knowledge you'll need for any production suite anyway.

Also, the session view gives you a tremendous amount of flexibility in building a song. You can record individual ideas to clips as you think of them without needing to immediately consider how they'll fit into the overall composition. Plus, you can save them and use them in other projects, too. It's a pretty different paradigm from more linear tools like ProTools or FL Studio (though Live also has the Arrangement view, which follows the linear paradigm), but it gives you a lot of freedom in designing your songs.

I recently made the move from Reason to FL Studio 8. I feel that FL Studio gives you much more control over your sound and customizing it as opposed to Reason. If you're using a MIDI controller with enough knobs and controls, you can really get into FL Studio and control a lot more than you can with Reason.

Reason's "ReFill" support (their proprietary sound packaging) is pretty limited. While you can find some packages for sounds, they're not always great. I've gotten plenty of refill packs that were worthless and had maybe a dozen sounds out of thousands that I would use. The beauty of FL Studio is you can use almost any downloadable WAV or soundfont out there. The sampler support in FL Studio kills the NNXT samplers in Reason by a mile. Don't even get me started on combinators in Reason - what a total waste of processing power and a great method for removing any human thought in the production process.

A great alternative is Cubase rewired with Reason. It gets you in the door with a much lower price tag than Pro Tools and has a lot of the same features, plus the ability to add a wide variety of effects and VST instruments that will give you all the options you need to create music.

I haven't messed with Ableton Live much but I've heard good things about it - from what I've seen of it, it's more intended for mixing and remixing than it is for music production.

WHAT!?!? Man Im sorry Reason let you down, because that program is amazing. NNXT hating, no way! But like I've said and I'll say it again to each his own.

FL Studios is baby steps. It's like garage band, yea you can make some neat stuff, but take the time and money to purchase something worth wild. Sure if you just want to mess around and not take things seriously, FL studios is the right purchase, its easy, and fun. If you want to take it to the next level Reason, Cubase, Pro tools, and Ableton is the path you want. As for Plug Ins Reason has millions on their site, Refills are just Propellerhead brand, but many other plug ins work just fine. Possibilities are end less. Buy Recyle if you want to use any WAV files, but come on people this is REASON! Its not the best, but its nasty! Im sorry you didn't like it Cybr :crybaby:

Now I'm all Ableton now, because of my DJ path, for mixing and remixing, but music production with it, is also amazing.

As for using FL the right way and no one can tell the difference, now Im know music major, but anyone in the FLORIDA area that I know would ever use FL studios. Once again I'm not hating just FL studio isn't professional grade in my opinion.

It's pretty much like you said, everyone has their own preferences.

I always liked the rack feel of Reason, I just thought it was somewhat limited and as I dove more into the different options available through MIDI it became more and more apparent to me how true that was. When you start getting into some advanced MIDI control, Reason just lags behind everything else in my opinion.

In the end, they're all capable of producing something that's polished and professional. When you get down to your final production, it's pretty standard to have slight imperfections that are fixed during the mastering process. That's where an 'unprofessional' sounding finished product is turned into an aural masterpiece.

To be clear, I wasn't hating on any product. I used Reason from version 1 through version 4 and I've used Cubase since it was originally released on Atari platforms in the late 80s and early 90s.

My frustration is more with how the earlier poster presented his opinions (basically just a bunch of hating) and didn't offer anything in the way of real advice.

lol to bad you dont live in aus other wise i could give ya some production lesson ok i will narrow it down to top 3

1- Logic 8 (MAC)

2 - Sonar 7 (PC)

3-Cubase 4 (PC/MAC)(not sx3 it crashes to much)

the following did not make top 3 becuse

Ableton (PC/Mac) - mainly for live use does not reall have a traditional aproach to production but with auto tutorial and combadibility with most plug ins makes it easy to use

Reason (PC/Mac) - limited instruments unless you know synths and how to layer sound properley cannot add vstis cannot record audio more of a BIG vsti for best use rewiered through most major DAWs

FL (PC) - now that they have a new ownership it is starting better but still not in same league as logic and cubase if you are wanteing to get used to how to put together a track not so much enginearing it than it is for you its verry cheap and fairley easy to setup but can be abit glitchy now and then

reaper (PC)- it still deveoping and its compadibility with allot of vstis is still in development

sony acid (PC)- bad midi sequencer bad eddit functions but great if you are useing a external synth and arranger EG yamah motif, Roland phanton, GT ect a nice cheaper alternative to Protools

Pro tools (PC/MAC) - Verry good for audio edditing and all that jazz shit house for production the midi eddits are verry anoying to work with it can lag abit not worth it have to pay to manny extras you will not get ur money back what you pay for softwhere and addons that you will have to pay for functions that most other DAWs have as standard but if you are looking into useing allot of old synths and want to get good record quality and eddit functions (note have to have good sound card but it will have to be a digi design one or one that is certified by pro tools lol) it goes ok but like i said before not worth the money for edm production i dont care if daft punk use it they have the money to burn most ppz dont

best advise is "GET A MAC" it makes every thing flow better

very nice insights .:Ess:.! im getting to know a lot from you guys!

To be fair, Ess, you aren't really comparing apples to apples there.

Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic and Sonar are really designed with audio production in mind.

Reason and FL Studio are more geared toward sequencing and MIDI based production.

I honestly can't speak about Ableton intelligently - I haven't even looked at it since version 2.

If you aren't recording actual audio tracks I don't see a need to use one of the major production suites, but if you must it really comes down to what has the most plugin support - which for me is still Cubase with VSTi's and Rewire (which supports both Reason and FL Studio now by the way). Cubase has been around forever, since the late 80s, and has a tremendous user community as well as industry support for the product that is very unlikely to die. I have 2 friends that run commercial studios using Cubase and the stuff they pump out is amazing.

I found the same problems you did with Reason and I'm finding that FL Studio has a ton of really advanced control you can dive into with a good MIDI setup. My current midi controller is actually a bit weak and I'm hoping to upgrade to something with more knobs in the near future since 21 really isn't enough to do everything that I want. I could just buy something cheap, but I prefer to hold out for something a little nicer.

I totally agree with you about Pro Tools - buying the hardware and software isn't worth it for your enthusiast who isn't making music professionally. Unless you're a pro, avoid it.

I just think its important to distinguish between the different software and point out, especially for people that are new to audio recording and production, that the software packages are not all alike. Comparing the midi sequencing programs with actual digital audio workstation software isn't a good comparison.

If you wanna rip it siKKkkKk like MadRaverRai you should go out and buy this:

M-Audio Key Rig 49 Keyboard

479665.jpg

Logic Studio

logic-studio-070912-3.png

Presonus Firebox

p46743.jpg

Macbook Pro

MacBookPro.jpg

Not too much dough but get's the job done. It will run you around 3 grand. Just shop around and you could get a good price.

madraverrai is ballin!! hahaha, wat up rai when you gonna stream for us again?

raver rai thats pretty much my setup at my sis house cept i got a MOTU ultra light soundcard there and little genelics lol MAC FTW, "Once you go MAC you dont go back"

It's pretty much like you said, everyone has their own preferences.

I always liked the rack feel of Reason, I just thought it was somewhat limited and as I dove more into the different options available through MIDI it became more and more apparent to me how true that was. When you start getting into some advanced MIDI control, Reason just lags behind everything else in my opinion.

In the end, they're all capable of producing something that's polished and professional. When you get down to your final production, it's pretty standard to have slight imperfections that are fixed during the mastering process. That's where an 'unprofessional' sounding finished product is turned into an aural masterpiece.

To be clear, I wasn't hating on any product. I used Reason from version 1 through version 4 and I've used Cubase since it was originally released on Atari platforms in the late 80s and early 90s.

My frustration is more with how the earlier poster presented his opinions (basically just a bunch of hating) and didn't offer anything in the way of real advice.

Trust me I know, you know what your talkin about. I just fell in love with Reason. Like you said people love it or hate it. I never thought you were hatin just giving you a hard time. :biggrin2:

Hey I cant produce worth anything, thats why ableton and torq kill it for me.

One last thing honestly your setup will have only 50% of the final product. I mean seriously its all about how one puts it together not because you can afford some fancy equipment. Shit I rip it nastier then half the club DJs around here and all I use is M-Audio's Trigger finger and Torq.