Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mindlesslogic

The Hybrid Revolution

102 posts in this topic

haha well said. I would hate to have to start calling people combo orgasmic-ers XP lets just stick to glowsticking

haha this convo got weird. :horndog:

Hehe, second reply, yay I beat knivez! You can add me too!

lol wth.. i'm mentioned already xD haha

okay.. uhm.. -raises hand- xD

Wow, it took Knivez almost a whole day to post! Guess your legendary post whore skills are declining :P

Ahem...

I guess now... is a better time than ever...

to admit..

I too am a stranghandfer.

Me, too.

I'm not too fond of this word 'stringhanding', though. Think I'll stick with "hybrid glowsticking", or just "glowsticking".

Me, too.

I'm not too fond of this word 'stringhanding', though. Think I'll stick with "hybrid glowsticking", or just "glowsticking".

If we just called it glowsticking that's like calling glowstringing just glowsticking and freehanding just glowsticking. There would be no way to differentiate online by just saying a word, and every single time we talked about it you would have to say "the one where you don't use strings" or "the one where you use strings" or "the one where you use strings but do moves like the ones where you don't use strings" to describe it EVERY time.

I really don't understand why so many glowstickers hate to categorize stuff that hasn't already been categorized even when it's in the same position as other terms were that have been here for years and years. It seems like people just complain about terms that are made after they joined because they don't want anything to be different than it was for them when they started. It's really counterproductive and keeps us from being able to discuss glowsticking while actually being able to understand each other. Yeah there would be more terms you'd have to learn, but who gives a shit? Seriously. No one ever ever ever ever complains about poi having too many terms and they have a million times more than we do, but when anything comes in glowsticking it's like "OMG no, what the fuck are you doing, how could you possibly disturb our naming structure with 3 words that we've worked on for years? "

This is just something that's annoyed me for a while now. I used to think making too many names was dumb a couple years ago, but I've really changed my mind a lot since then.

Im on the site a few hours a week and even I have no idea what those words mean..

I know what hybrid means but other then that Im lost..

I think thats a problem..

Im not the only one either because even some people in here are confused.

If we just called it glowsticking that's like calling glowstringing just glowsticking and freehanding just glowsticking.

But those are different tools..

Strings vs. no strings.

This isnt the same because it is a difference in style..

and there is also a difference between the two. Glowstringers can actually grab the stick and freehand but all the freehander can do is imititate the glowstringers movements or patterns.

It seems like people just complain about terms that are made after they joined because they don't want anything to be different than it was for them when they started.

I dont think there is any problem with making a new name as long as it makes sense to give it one.

I dont think making up a new name because people do both seperatly is that great of a reason.

If we just called it glowsticking that's like calling glowstringing just glowsticking and freehanding just glowsticking. There would be no way to differentiate online by just saying a word, and every single time we talked about it you would have to say "the one where you don't use strings" or "the one where you use strings" or "the one where you use strings but do moves like the ones where you don't use strings" to describe it EVERY time.
Hence "hybrid glowsticking". Maybe not quite perfect, but it works. Just plain 'hybrid' I don't like because 'hybrid' already means a bunch of other stuff. I have no objection to coming up with a name for the mixed style, I just don't like the sound of "stringhanding". It seems awkward. Mebbe it's just me.
I really don't understand why so many glowstickers hate to categorize stuff that hasn't already been categorized even when it's in the same position as other terms were that have been here for years and years. It seems like people just complain about terms that are made after they joined because they don't want anything to be different than it was for them when they started. It's really counterproductive and keeps us from being able to discuss glowsticking while actually being able to understand each other.
Ditto. Terminology seems to attract more than it's fair share of heated argument. Might be getting close to time to start up yet another terminology thread to figure out some more style distinctions I've been thinking about.

There are always arguments because all bad or unneeded terminology does is further confuse people.

But those are different tools..

Strings vs. no strings.

This isnt the same because it is a difference in style..

So what if they're different tools? Is it really that confusing to use hybrid glowsticker? Haven't you yourself been using this term for like 2 years now? I don't even understand why you out of everybody would be arguing against it.

So since it's a difference in style like you said, and not a difference in tools, we can't name it? We named string manipulations as a category, poi as a category, why not hybrid?

and there is also a difference between the two. Glowstringers can actually grab the stick and freehand but all the freehander can do is imititate the glowstickers movements or patterns.

Freehanders can do more than just imitate the glowstringers movements and patterns if they actually have strings. Yes it sounds stupid, but it's really not. There are a lot of glowstickers who actually do like 90% tracing without tosses or anything and could potentially attach strings. Sure basically nobody does this, but it's always a possibility.

I dont think there is any problem with making a new name as long as it makes sense to give it one.

Hybrid makes enough sense to me?

I dont think giving a new name to people because they do both seperatly is that great of a reason.

I think your referring to stringhander and "fringer" (lol). I thought those were said as like 70% jokes basically. If not, that seriously doesn't seem like it'd be confusing if we just set it in stone by posting a thread or something. But then again like nothing was ever really "set in stone," which is kinda why our naming sucks so bad.

Hence "hybrid glowsticking". Maybe not quite perfect, but it works. Just plain 'hybrid' I don't like because 'hybrid' already means a bunch of other stuff. I have no objection to coming up with a name for the mixed style, I just don't like the sound of "stringhanding". It seems awkward. Mebbe it's just me.

Well in your post you said "or just glowsticking," which is why I went to saying all that and assumed hybrid glowsticker isn't good enough of a term for you. Hybrid glowsticker works fine or whatever, some people will still inevitably say hybrid though. But it will be used differently in context so we will be able to differentiate between the move and the style, like "im a hybrid" or "i do hybrids." the first is the style, the second is the move, obviously.

Im not against 'hybrid glowsticker' but most of the people in here claiming to be hybrid are not hybrid in my opinion..

I imitate stringing moves while I freehand with my strings attached to them (My spinning freehand extensions, leg/arm wraps)..

I could do a whole set like that.. In your opinion What would that make me?

If you dont use the strings at all even though they are attached then that doesnt really make any sense to me. YOu wouldnt be using the tool to any benefit.

People can only joke about it so much before it actually starts to spread.. we are the leading glowsticking site in the world arent we? :lol:

Look at how many people are confused in here. It seems to me like nobody is talking about the same thing. Does that prove my point at all?

Ok, what exactly is the definition of 'Hybrid" now??

I thought it was integrating freehanding while the strings are still attached. Or are we also using it now to describe people who do both separately?

I thought it was integrating freehanding while the strings are still attached. Or are we also using it now to describe people who do both separately?

I thought it was that too.

If you dont use the strings at all even though they are attached then that doesnt really make any sense to me. YOu wouldnt be using the tool to any benefit.ere.

I'm not saying don't use it at ALL. I was saying like they do 90% freehand, and a little bit of stringing.

Then not very many people who posted fit that definition.. unless I havent seen anything from them recently.

If they have strings attached and do any stringing with it wouldnt that make them "hybrid glowstickers"?

This is why some people are slow to accept new words. People just get confused for no reason.

If they have strings attached and do any stringing with it wouldnt that make them "hybrid glowstickers"?

Yeah that's what I was trying to say. I just said it before you clarified that you were fine with the term "hybrid glowsticker."

I thought it was integrating freehanding while the strings are still attached.

That was my assumption.

Note: even though having strings attached can limit the range of freehanding stuff you can do, there's other stuff that only really becomes available when you're doing the mixed style. Like, for a really basic example, holding one stick in your hand and one on the string, and using the hand-held stick to complement single-string moves (and hey, here's a thread on single stringing: http://www.glowsticking.com/forums/hand-st...ng-t13934.html). That's enough to make it count as a separate discipline deserving of its own name, I think.

Or are we also using it now to describe people who do both separately?
That seems a silly thing to do, IMHO.

oh my god NO! NOOOO. Lol no debates in mah thread.

This is a silly random thing, everyone gets the basic meaning of what i said in the main post. If you like to string and also freehand this is a shout out to you.

If you want to quibble, do it over AIM. I'm starting to get tired of people having to take every little thing here so seriously. Call it whatever you want i dont care, just please keep it out of my thread i don't need 5 pages of back and forth banter on something that doesn't need it.