Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ono

VIDEO: Pashion stringing

108 posts in this topic

Honestly I am disappointed in so many of our members after reading this thread its sad. Alot of people that i once looked up to, i now think very differently of. This website is about our love for what we do and bringing good vibes and positive attitude to everyone. maybe 5 people posted positive criticism the rest was flaming. I thought i was on like gametrailers.com or some shit.

Whether you thought he over exaggerated or not was not the purpose of this vid. Take a step back and think if it was you and your friend who posted this vid and said something about u being amazing. And now imagine your being flamed by all the people you consider an online community and family and see if you dont get defensive. Ease up guys!!!!! take a step back relax. LET IT GO!!!

Someone should lock this before something is said that cant be taken back.

Honestly I am disappointed in so many of our members after reading this thread its sad. Alot of people that i once looked up to, i now think very differently of. This website is about our love for what we do and bringing good vibes and positive attitude to everyone. maybe 5 people posted positive criticism the rest was flaming. I thought i was on like gametrailers.com or some shit.

Whether you thought he over exaggerated or not was not the purpose of this vid. Take a step back and think if it was you and your friend who posted this vid and said something about u being amazing. And now imagine your being flamed by all the people you consider an online community and family and see if you dont get defensive. Ease up guys!!!!! take a step back relax. LET IT GO!!!

People get treated by how they act. Calling someone a douchbag for putting a non descriptive unpositive review isn't looked highly upon. Bueno didnt do the best review job in the world but thats not reason to get butt hurt and start the name calling.

People have to remember opinions aren't facts and shouldn't be presented as such.

1. I think this is the next level.
  2. This is the next level.

2 totally different statements. One is stated as an opinion one is stated as a fact. If you say things like the second sentence people will fight you about the truth of that FACT.

Holy crap, where do I start?

Bueno is right.

Ono is the one being a douchebag.

Passion is spelled with two S' and no H.

Ange and Guinto dance/"express the music visually" "better" (in RE: Ono, not trying to criticize "Pashion" in this case)

"Pashion" looked like any other stringer who's listening to a song they like. Sorry, it's the truth.

This topic is not constructive because of the first three posts: Coming in here and saying "OMG this guy will revolutionize glowstringing he is the next level and best stringed dance ever." is just ASKING for hurt, especially when later calling someone a douche.

All in all, I'm just sad I came in this thread too late, because, in this case, I would have gladly been the "douche" in place of Bueno.

Sorry, I skipped page 2 (figured there was nothing useful on that page), then I happened across this quote in azzie's post:

People on here are more interested in flaming, than critiquing the video. All of this bullshit is due to me saying "the next level," and Bueno's fatass saying dumb shit.

You threw the first insult, you started the thread wrong, it has NOTHING to do with Bueno.

The majority of you who argued with me, contradicted yourself one time or another. Also, everyone saying "I've read everything and this is what I have to say..." didn't read a god damn thing, because they still think I'm Pashion.

Provide examples or don't make sweeping negative generalizations about the entirety of the thread. See Azzie's comment about the Pashion part.

Everyone is blown away who sees him dance live, at a private party, with the proper cocktail. I guess I'm giving him credit that isn't visible to you guys, which is why this thread has turned into a giant clusterfuck. Saying "you've got the basics down, try more wrap combos" is just fucking stupid.

People have been blown away since I first started stringing. Know why? THEY'RE FREAKING HIGH!!! DON'T EXPECT THE SAME REACTION FROM SOBER GSCERS!!!!!

SUGGESTING MORE WRAP COMBOS IS A PERFECTLY VALID CRITIQUE!!!!!!!!!

Of course there's more room for improvement. There's room for improvement in everyone, there always will be. I'm sorry for saying "this is the next level." I said it because he's fucking insane, and no one dances like him.

Wrong.

Comments in bold within the quote ^^ ^^

PASHION READ THIS PART:

Constructive criticism:

Dance related:

Try not to "flail." That's what people meant when they said you looked sloppy. Compare to Ange or Guinto and you'll see how they move smoothly with the music instead of jerking into "dance moves" (I honestly didn't see anything particularly dancey, maybe a slide or a kneel)

Stringing related:

Without lit sticks, I can't see your planes or patterns, so there's not much of a point.

PLEASE READ.

I was asked to re-open this topic, so I'm doing so.

I am finished with this discussion in any way, shape or form.

If you're interested in my apology for my actions that took place in this thread, please refer to this link.

Thank you,

-ono

Yeah! I asked my boy to reopen this thread because there are a lot... and i mean a lot of people out there making comments when they havent even read the entire thread... that would be crucial i think.

1: I AM NOT ONO

2: I DID NOT UPLOAD THIS VIDEO (I didnt care he did cause i wanted to show people in the "another rant" thread a different style, one where if you take the strings out of the hands you'd still look like your dancing to the music, which nobody Ihave seen can do... if i'm wrong in this PROVE IT with a video response or link!)

3: I DO NOT PROMOTE BATTLES OR COMPETITION (If you read the ENTIRE thread you would understand why i never have agreed w/ battles and why i HAD thought competition was a good thing)

4: I DONT THINK I AM THE BEST STRINGER IN THE WORLD (In my opinion i think i can revolutionize it to what i believe to be the right direction for stringers)

5: I LOVE GLOWSTRINGING

6: I KNOW HOW TO SPELL THE WORD "PASSION" AND IF THE WEBSITE DIDNT BLOCK IT FOR SOME REASON I WOULD HAVE SPELLED IT THAT WAY!

I want to thank styestep for being the first person to understand what i just went through... I was ready to join GenX... lol.. jk..... But i really had lost faith in this website for a moment. Why respect the laws of the website that inspired me if they all hate me now? It seems that people are giving credit to people who do hard moves instead of people who make easy moves look just as good. Btw, these so called "advanced" moves some of you speak of have never been required for me to give a great show. Give me a couple months... maybe less depending on how work goes... Seems like some of the "elite" think you're "nothing impressive" unless you can do what they can do. What was GSC's definition of respect again?

I want to thank styestep for being the first person to understand what i just went through... I was ready to join GenX... lol.. jk..... But i really had lost faith in this website for a moment. Why respect the laws of the website that inspired me if they all hate me now? It seems that people are giving credit to people who do hard moves instead of people who make easy moves look just as good. Btw, these so called "advanced" moves some of you speak of have never been required for me to give a great show. Give me a couple months... maybe less depending on how work goes... Seems like some of the "elite" think you're "nothing impressive" unless you can do what they can do. What was GSC's definition of respect again?

Luis,

They definitely don't hate you, if anything, they hate me.

We've been working so hard to get away from battleing and competition, and when you say what you did, it makes people wonder what your beliefs are. I know how you feel, I know what you believe, which is why I'm confused why you said what you did.

------

His comment about GenX, I hope no one takes him seriously, even though he said he was just kidding. If you've heard the conversations we've had about that website, you'd understand, lol. What a fucking joke.

Now, I'm seriously finished with this thread.

Agreed. I have not felt like this was a "community" lately. We have a lot of potential lawyers out there it seems. EVERYONE seems to want to pick fights and argue lately. Honestly, it's really discouraging. I don't feel like I am a great freehander or poist, and it's threads like this that make me ABSOLUTELY NOT WANT TO POST A VIDEO.

:sorcerer:This is the PLUR wizard. He is here to cast a PLUR spell on everyone here is this "so-called community".

Peace - Hostility typically serves no purpose other than to defend an ego that is lacking inner peace.

Love - Acts and feelings of goodwill towards all others are a moral imperative with their own rewards.

Unity - This can mean either that:

We are all united in the human condition, or

As social beings, the feeling of connectedness with others is the ultimate end to our efforts.

Respect - A person must show regard for the feelings of others through their actions and inaction.

And, one must have respect for themselves.

Next person to post bullshit gets suspended for a week?

There now everyone has to be plurific.

Is that what everyone wants?

Community does not equal sunshine happiness and puppies all the fuckin time. Family does not equate to that either. Like any community there are people that say dumb shit. Some will respond aggressively to it. Others will want to know why the person said it to begin with and then just shrug it off. People respond differently to different things.

I'm sorry but the kinda things you guys see now are nothing compaired to the flames and blast people received back in the day. That doesnt mean it's right. But in comparison things are a lot calmer now.

It also seems like people have lost a sense of humor to things.

I hate the fact that I'm the sense of reason and understanding now.

Do any of you know how i used to post?

How many fights i started?

How many times i was almost banned?

How many flame wars i started and threw gasoline onto?

I don't care if someone writes a shitty review for a video. Some people don't have the time to go in depth like aldrif does, some dont have the grasp on the language 2. People need to not get butthurt about it though.

For those who feel some of the staff do things out of line at times. You should PM Me, Wes, or Dave about it. If it's about one of us just send it to someone else.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

these are a couple of things that stuck out to me

Seems like some of the "elite" think you're "nothing impressive" unless you can do what they can do. What was GSC's definition of respect again?

I would like for you to PM me who you are calling "elite" you obviously have some names in your head and I'm curious who we are speaking about.

Some people consider me "elite". I don't. Syphon and knivez have far surpassed me in my eyes.

A large number of people i've seen others call elite feel the same way as me.

I dont go and post lots of reviews for videos anymore not because i think i'm Elite. It's because I'm 25 and i have a lot of responsibilities off the site. I simply dont have time anymore. Some times i do get to catch a video and have time to post a quick review.

I fear going to in depth at times because of my current admin status. I don't want people to think i'm trying to be a know it all on the subject, or telling the person what they MUST do.

Agreed. I have not felt like this was a "community" lately. We have a lot of potential lawyers out there it seems. EVERYONE seems to want to pick fights and argue lately. Honestly, it's really discouraging. I don't feel like I am a great freehander or poist, and it's threads like this that make me ABSOLUTELY NOT WANT TO POST A VIDEO.

Once again community doesn't always mean things are gonna be happy all the time.

I've been here long enough to see that drama comes and goes in waves.

Noobies are encouraged to post videos so they can receive critiques on things. Drama occurs when the noobies think they are awesome because in comparison to others in their small town they are and when they post a vid and receive comments on how to improve they get upset.

Other times it's people posting videos and not saying "please help me, critique" and nobody responds because it wasn't an awesome video, the person didn't ask for help, and we aren't sure what to say. I've run into that situation many times when i simply did not know how to approach the video review.

This site is made up of countless threads. Why people let 1 or 2 threads judge a whole site is beyond my comprehension. So drama breaks out in 1 thread. If your not the type for drama. Ignore it. Usually it's some dumb misunderstanding or someone is trying to tell us how awesome competitions or battling is and is going to end in a nice group hug or someone eventually going to far and getting suspended or banned.

People shouldnt be afraid to voice their opinions. But they should also be ready to have people not agree with them.

This is a website run by a real live person. A person that spend a lot of money to have people come here and learn and be a part of the community/family (despite how it might get disfunctional once in a while like any normal family). This person in the end has a final word on what will go on regarding this site. Because if he doesn't like the way things are going he can simply pull the plug and then it's gone. He's been allowing a lot of freedoms despite not totally agreeing with everything.

People cant forget that this site was someone else dream. He's not about to let it fall apart or turn into something that he doesn't envision. We are all guests here.

We have so few RULES, but there are a lot of people with strong opinions that people then take as RULES because they are said with some knowledge or authority backing them up.

People forget to thank Dave sometimes that we are even here able to fight with each other and come to understandings and progress the art.

I wouldn't be who I am today without the people i have met on this site.

To sum all that crap up because i know i hate reading huge posts.

Lighten up. Have fun. Avoid drama if you dont like it. "Elite" people may not see themselves that way so dont assume they do. A community doesnt always function smoothly.

and

if someone posts more bullshit nonsense in this thread and doesnt just review the fucking video for what it is. YOU ARE SUPSENDED FOR A WEEK, everything that needs and doesnt need to be said has already been said. Just drop it.

damn talk about drama. and i thought i started shit, hahaha.

ok< this is my review since i think ono is overprotective and everybody was just takin sides, i wont, i will tell just what i like and what i dont and what i think could improve his style!

your dancin gives something more to see than just the stringing.

your combos are well built and you know when to change the flow.

the walk it out move is pretty sikkk, i used to do it 2 !

dislikes

you get repetitive and sometimes just very unprecise.

speed is somewhat not attractive, i mean sometimes it looks good sometimes isnt quite necessary.

suggestions

freehand transitions, manips and string wraps combined with the dancin, its pretty hard but ive done it and it looks pretty cool!

Now i will express my opinion without flamin anybody.

ive had the pleasure of meeting Ono, melvenorc12, Cleric, and many more stickers.

i hate that freakin term "next level" cuz it actually sounds like the new thing you should try, im one that actually think the next level is what we are doing now, just improvin our style, integrating some new moves or just perfecting them.

i will say this, Ono i've seen you freehand and your pretty sikk i think you must remember me since i was at the end of EDC with you.

i love watching at Buenos hybrid style cuz its just really random stuff and pretty much he does move to the music.

Melvenorc12 is one of the most sikest combo builder ive ever actually seen, his stuff is so complicated and he makes it look easy.

Cleric is with his poist and manips arsenal actually dances when he is stringin, his manips give him the grace to do so.

I could go on namin so many stickers that actually integrate something original to their routines, the next level is definin your style, the moves that you like, the way you practice the art (some stikers stay still which is convenient when stikin with crowd around you, some break into character, some just integrate some type of dance).

i actually have evolved so much thanks to everybodies vids, i dont consider me hybrid, but a remix (much more complicated), from jumps, dances, freehand transitions, tosses, one handed stringin, mind games and just now manips, ive tried so many ways to enjoy more practicin the art, i just fell in love with the amount of things you can actually incorporate to your style, so i would give credit to everyone that has made videos cuz you guys inspire my stuff, i never take credit for my stuff cuz i know that you guys are my inspiration and without you i prolly wouldnt have grab my strings or started freehandin.

so chill out, i will just try to share the love i have for every active member on this site.

pz. :gsc::respect:

About the video: I definitely like that you try and incorporate some type of dance into your stringing. Do I think you do it flawlessly or at a degree of skill that's mindblowing? Not exactly. But I definitely give you credit for doing something that not many people do in their glowsticking. I would love to see it cleaned up a bit more with more focus given to the continuity of the performance and how the different parts of your body (arms, strings legs) work together. Many of your dance moves don't match up with the music or the rest of your body. While it's very innovative, it has room for improvement.

On your attitude: (Please note that I do make an apology for this statement further in the thread - I merely left it here so that I'm not just removing any evidence that I did something wrong and so that everyone understands why I make the apology that comes later in the thread) Personally, I think your attitude sucks and it's pretty obvious to me that you string for attention. You are so concerned with the negative reactions here that you're thinking of leaving the community that you have credited numerous times with inspiring you for another. I think this points out the fact that you care a bit too much about what people say about your stringing and when the going gets tough you'll find it easier to just uproot yourself from here and find a group of people that will gasp and drool over your sick moves.

I'm sorry that not everyone here finds your video to be "the next level" like your friends do, but to be completely honest the people that are giving you this criticism are much more experienced with glowstringing than your friends. What we find to be mindblowing is going to be light years ahead of what the average e-tard is going to roll his eyes back in his head over. If that is something you can't handle then you shouldn't ask for critique from people that actually know how to glowstring, because I would assume the average response is going to be that you can do a few wraps, some weaves and you move around a lot - but neither of the two skill sets is polished to the level where you are great. You're moderately good at both of them and could use some work on putting them together a bit better. I like the direction you are headed with your stringing but, with some work, it could be a lot better than it is.

On the direction of this thread: I just wanted to take a moment to point out that this thread does not represent the entirety of the community here. Individuals have caused this thread to take the direction it did, not the GSC community. I've been involved in more than one thread recently where we have had HEATED discussions back and forth about different cultural aspects, and not once did anyone resort to name calling or pointing fingers. The majority of the community here is mature and capable of carrying on these discussions without what has happened here, so don't let one instance of a thread gone wrong get you to think this is representative of everyone here. Don't stop posting videos and asking for help because most of the members here are amazing people and performers who are supportive and extremely helpful.

both of you... wtf... ONO apologized in another thread. You want to continue drama and talking about how people reacted. take it somewhere else. WTF

Fuck this.

Now what the fuck, I said no more bullshit or your suspended for a week. So i'll give you another 10 minutes so you can read this. Then have a week vacation.

Children...everyone.

I gave a serious, constructive replay and you call it BS?

My response :About the thread: was to inspire people to still post and have faith in this community.

If you wanted no more replies here, lock the thread.

If you're gonna suspend me over that, see ya!

On your attitude: Personally, I think your attitude sucks and it's pretty obvious to me that you string for attention.

Have a good week.

Both these suspensions are going to be staff discussed. If anyone feels it's unjust then they can unsuspend you, and obviously i was wrong.

This thread is ridiculous at the amount of bullshit people post. Then continue to post after things have been beaten to death and then into it's next state of being.

post crituques of the video. thats what the thread is for.

you know what. i wont suspsend barca... he didnt say anything negative in his post

dude i bring love to the thread, why hate, the guy just wants to know what i think about his style, i was actually surprised that you were gonna suspend me!

wtf came to mind! hahaha , well i hope no one else makes that mistake!

CyberPunk,

By reading your post, I got the impression you think I'm the one in the video. I'm not. I'm ono, I freehand. The stringer in the video is Pashion. If you were clear on that, I'm sorry.

I'm letting this thread be a lesson to never post someone elses video again, lol.

We all know it's not about posting someone elses vids, and i know your joking.

At this point lets just review the video. Ignore all the bullshit and review the vid.

Cleric,

I know this thread is sensitive, so what I'm about to say, I mean no disrespect to anyone at all.

The reason I say I'll never post someone elses video again, is because it doesn't seem like everyone reads everything. It will just avoid confusion, so people don't think the person posting the video is the actual person in the video. I mean, it seems that people still think I'm the one in the video.

Cleric,

I know this thread is sensitive, so what I'm about to say, I mean no disrespect to anyone at all.

The reason I say I'll never post someone elses video again, is because it doesn't seem like everyone reads everything. It will just avoid confusion, so people don't think the person posting the video is the actual person in the video. I mean, it seems that people still think I'm the one in the video.

your not?

:biggrin2:

Alright, here's my review on the video.

Like everyone else has stated several times, there were times that I couldn't see your strings. However, I was able to get a good grasp of what you were doing through out most of the video that I saw (and I will admit that it about 2 minutes. I tend to have a short attention span when it comes to certain videos).

Now I did like the fact that you were moving around while you were stringing. However, it's not what I expected. Alright, correction, what I was seeing in the first two minutes was not what I expected. It just looked like you were grooving with the music and got really into it. Sadly though, in the later part of the video (yes, I am watching past the two minute mark now) the speed that you're stringing at doesn't flow with the music. It seems just too fast. Now as someone who himself tries to move around alot when he strings (can't really refere to any recent videos, but if you search eather youtube for my account name which is still peruvian martian, you will see what I mean), and who tries to go to the music, I know sometimes it's easier said then done to actually slow down the speed you are going to adjust to the music. Still, I would recommend taking some time and just work on speed control. Put on a track at home which has variations in tempo and just work on keeping the speed that you string to match the mood of the music. *Watches some more of the video.*

Also, I would recommend practicing with sock poi every now and then. Reason why I am suggesting this is because I am noticing that some of your movements are coming off as a bit jerky. The added weight of the sock poi can help bring to your attention where that jerkiness comes into out the most and could help with your fluidity.

Alright, so now that I've gotten the two main things that were bugging me the most out of the way, which was how the music didn't match up to the speed you were stringing at and jerkiness of your movements, let me get onto what are some moves I would suggest. First and foremost, transitioning into and out of freehand. This works wonders in my opinion when you have a style that is more dance based then anything. I say this because there might be times that the music might change and it would be more appropriate according to the mood to freehand a bit instead of stringing in a way that does not flow with the music. I would also suggest trying some gumbies. They focus more on body control and movements then just swinging the sticks. Another set of moves I would suggest are atomics, but this is mainly because they also help with speed control and plane control.

So, overall, decent practice vid. You need to work on cleaning up the jerkiness that I noticed in some of your movements and on your speed control in my opinion. Also am suggesting picking up some freehanding and transitioning in and out of it, possibly working on gumbies and also atomics to further help with the speed control.

After spending the last half hour talking with Cleric and pleading my case, he's been kind enough to agree to lift my suspension. Don't take this to mean that Cleric is a softy, because he definitely is not. I had to give him a lot of insight about myself in order to convince him about my true intent and purpose here.

He did not ask me to make this post. I offered to do so because I felt it was the right thing. Sadly it is the second apology that has to come out of this thread.

First of all I owe an apology to Pashion for the statement I made about his attitude. There are definitely better ways I could have said that so as not to make it a direct insult against another member of this site. I should have chosen my words much better and I would like to extend my apology for making what was definitely an attack on another member of GSc.

I would also like to extend the same apology to Cleric for making the post I did immediately after the statement he issued. I admit that I did not read the entirety of the thread before making my post, the second mistake I made in just one post here. He puts a lot of effort into doing the best job he can, and for me to not pay attention to his post and make the statements I did directly afterward is like a slap in the face to him. While that was not my intent at all, I do see how he took it that way and for that I am definitely sorry.

I would also like to extend that same apology to the rest of the community here. You all deserve better from your members and shouldn't be subjected to drama like this on a forum that promotes peace and unity.

Ono, I've always known that was Pashion and not you in the video. I would have posted much sooner to clear that up, however my posting privileges here were stripped from me for a short while.... deservedly I might add.

here's my review:

i think 6 minutes for a solo video is way too long. pretty much no one has that much material to be non-repetitive while glowstringing for 6 minutes. although i understand you didn't mean to release this video to the public and ono had done so against your wish. just for future reference, i would try to keep a solo video within 2 minutes next time. just show your best stuff without repeating, it'll translate much better and make it easier for people to pay attention and know what you are trying to do.

as far as the dancing aspect, i think a lot (if not all) of the glowstringer here strive to add dance elements into their glowstringing. maybe not everyone applied it the same way you do, but i think we all do it in our own ways. to put it in prespective, some people might think during a certain part of the song/dance it expresses something they want by standing still.

i guess what i am trying to say is that moving a lot doesn't necessarily mean more dancing, or better dancing.

i think if you are serious about making your glowstringing more dance-like, it wouldn't hurt to broaden your horizons and study some other dance forms. check out hiphop, jazz, ballroom, ballet, kungfu, etc. you don't have to actually learn them, but i would definitely recommend looking at videos or go watch some performances. check out how these dancer move to make their body movement look visually appealing, what are they taking into account when they choreograph a routine, and stuff like that.

hope this helps.

P.S.

i AM quite disappointed to hear that you are pro-competition. it doesn't matter what your intentions are, even if it's just to spread glowsticking... we have seen competitions always ruining glowsticking at the end. it just doesn't work.

i am glad to hear that you at least respect our rules and follow them. but i sincerely hope that one day you will understand competition is not the way to go. and no amount of publicity is worth the risk ruining something we all love very much.