Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CybrPunk

Another light show competition..

162 posts in this topic

Guest Blitz

Shit I'll be in LA, this comp sounds pretty sick. I'm down to smash on some fools! Show GXG whats up, y'know?

GSC REPRESENT!!!!

Shit I'll be in LA, this comp sounds pretty sick. I'm down to smash on some fools! Show GXG whats up, y'know?

GSC REPRESENT!!!!

You're joking right...

fsm_christmas_ornamentm005.jpg

Mmmmmmkay, that's it. Pool's closed, party's over, GXG; y'all just got owned. His Noodly Appendage is now a motherfucking LIGHTSHOW appendage. Just give up.

In other news, that "showoff" fails miserably at being anything remotely near subtle, but that's to be expected. Next!

Let them compete. Let's assume that 50 GxG members go to compete. After the other 49 of them lose the competition, probably 20 of them will get upset and stop glowsticking altogether. Battling has problems perpetuating itself; GSC does not.

Let them compete. Let's assume that 50 GxG members go to compete. After the other 49 of them lose the competition, probably 20 of them will get upset and stop glowsticking altogether. Battling has problems perpetuating itself; GSC does not.

While I do agree battling destroys a lot of the cultural aspects the community here tries to keep alive, I think attitudes like this simply aren't cool. We're not superior to people that battle, nor are we superior to members of GxG - or anyone else in the whole world.

If you want to say that you don't support battling because you believe its in conflict with the peace and unity aspects of the scene, how can you follow it up with negative comments like this about the entire user population of an online forum?

I don't see how one can follow the other.

I've observed that a lot of people act as if we're somehow inherently superior because we post here and choose not to battle. We merely have more respect for each other and the art itself and we choose to uphold different ideals than some other people. That doesn't make us superior to anyone.

I'd also like to remind you all that not every member of GxG supports battling. I wouldn't jump to judge such a large group of people based on the actions of a few of them. I think we turn away a lot of potentially beneficial members here simply based on the actions of a few people and a lax attitude of their admins. Even with the addition of this competition, I personally think we should be more willing to accept members who accept and follow our ideals regardless of any other internet sites they have memberships to.

1 - I never stated that I thought everyone in GxG battles. I only stated that some of the competitors will be from GxG. In fact, in the past, I have always encouraged GSC members to welcome former members of GxG who have decided that GSC is a better fit for them. When a former member from GxG comes to our forums and says that he wishes to join us, I have never told him to get out. Where have I done that? Ask Logic, ask EarthChild - they were both past members of GxG - did I insult them over their former ties with GxG?

2 - I never stated that we were superior; I never said, "Oh GxG sucks - all of them are losers." Where did I say that? I only stated to let them be, because the alternative is to stick it in their faces that we dislike competitions (which is definitely worse of the two). So, what is so wrong with that? If I were to be superior, wouldn't I be advocating going there and starting an argument with them? Instead, I proposed to let them be and to leave them alone. Please tell me how that translates to being superior...

3 - I am making a point about how battling does not perpetuate itself. I have seen crews in San Antonio rise and fall in the past and I thoroughly believe that it will happen again. My example is to illustrate that naturally, by default, those who glowstick for the props will not stay on the scene. So in a sense, battling as an issue solves itself because many of them burn out and just leave. How is that negative?

4 - Have you read my posts about my attitude towards GxG? Perhaps you were not part of the forums when all that drama happened because you joined in January (I can't remember exactly when all that stuff happened). But please look at your sources and read my posts before judging me. For example, I was not a fan of the dual membership ban - I thought it was a terrible idea to force GxG members to cancel their GxG membership before they could join GSC and I clearly voiced that. I also voiced in several posts in the past to cut out the generalizations against GxG. So yeah, I don't appreciate your misinterpretation of my one post (which I think is rather neutral-toned) and ignoring all the past things that I've said. Please don't judge me - I don't appreciate it.

I'm not looking to fight over this so lets just agree that we do have pretty much the same belief on this and some things were taken out of context. Just like some of your post wasn't meant as I read it, much of mine wasn't directed at you specifically, but was more of a generalization. I agree its best to just leave them alone and not take an active part to sabotage or fight against it.

Sorry if you took offense to some of the things I stated.

To be clear, I wasn't a member here but I've read the threads in their entirety including the one from lilraverboi and the most recent discussion between alex and the admins here. I know about the whole situation and feel similar to you as well.

Guest Blitz

there IS a reason gsc is seen as being elitist by pretty much everyone. I am of the opinion that we should stop caring what other people are doing, and start focusing on improving ourselves.

there IS a reason gsc is seen as being elitist by pretty much everyone. I am of the opinion that we should stop caring what other people are doing, and start focusing on improving ourselves.

Sometimes .... that is the best thing to do ^_^

sometimes there's more than just improving ourselves. protecting the ideals on what the culture was built.. like those kinds of noble things...

Guest Blitz
sometimes there's more than just improving ourselves. protecting the ideals on what the culture was built.. like those kinds of noble things...

THE culture??? You are utterly confused, my friend.

GSC's culture and values are not (and will never be) the same as the rest of the glowsticking community. To try and force your views and attitudes upon every glowsticker in the world is not only impossible, it is downright wrong.

And you talk of nobility? :angry:

We force our beliefs on no one. This is a free site. Membership requires no fees and people are free to leave if they don't feel that GSC's ideals are compatible with their needs.

I don't care if people call me elitist for being against battling. I feel fully justified to deny teaching glowsticking to anyone who battles, just as a master of martial arts is fully justified to deny teaching a student who will only use the skills to push down others and gain props.

GSC's culture and values are not (and will never be) the same as the rest of the glowsticking community. To try and force your views and attitudes upon every glowsticker in the world is not only impossible, it is downright wrong.

ehh.. glowsticking is a subculture of the raving scene.. did i ever say anything about forcing my ideals to somebody? i pretty much just said "protecting" the ideals on where the culture was built.. .. -sigh- do what you wish..

Guest Blitz
We force our beliefs on no one. This is a free site. Membership requires no fees and people are free to leave if they don't feel that GSC's ideals are compatible with their needs.

I don't care if people call me elitist for being against battling. I feel fully justified to deny teaching glowsticking to anyone who battles, just as a master of martial arts is fully justified to deny teaching a student who will only use the skills to push down others and gain props.

We are not talking about teaching. I said we should stop focusing on what other people are doing and focus on improving ourselves. That means that we should RESPECT that other people choose to battle, etc even if we do not agree with it. You are not elitist for protecting your beliefs or refusing to teach someone who has different beliefs than you, but you ARE elitist for believing your culture is the only one that exists... and that your culture is RIGHT and everyone else is wrong.

ehh.. glowsticking is a subculture of the raving scene.. did i ever say anything about forcing my ideals to somebody? i pretty much just said "protecting" the ideals on where the culture was built.. .. -sigh- do what you wish..

The fact that you say THE culture again proves my point.

For a person who likes to use the acronym PLUR in his profile you sure are "utterly confused".

From what I've noticed, this does seem to resurface from time to time.

The point is that some people here have fought long and hard to try and promote glowsticking in a positive light for years and will continue to do so vigorously. Is there not nobility in that? I think there is. Many of these are the same people who helped to spread glowsticking worldwide and have had their hard work 'stepped on' over the past few years. I don't think anyone believes they can influence the entire 'glowsticking community' but there's no harm in taking what many consider to be the higher moral ground here.

Even though I don't always agree with the methods, I generally agree with the message that we as a community try to project. While we can't control the outside forces at play, that doesn't mean we should cave and give up on our ideals.... yet at the same time, I think we have a lot of room for improvement, especially when it comes to how this situation has been handled.

Guest Blitz

But that's the trick see... I hate the idea of battling. I AGREE with gsc's values (why else would I still be here and have PLUR in my profile... ;))

However, I have a serious problem with people being unopen to other people's beliefs. Just because what YOU believe conflicts with what THEY believe, that does not make you right and moral. That is all I'm saying.

What do you mean by "wrong"? Could you elaborate?

Because if you mean "wrong" as in, you believe that a certain belief is "harmful", then yes, I do believe that battling is "wrong". Clearly, we have seen the harms of battling in the history of GSC. I think that you need to give us this much room - I think that you should give us the right to call another belief as "wrong" in the sense that we think it is "corrosive/harmful".

If you meant "wrong" as in, "morally unjust", then of course I don't think battling is "wrong" in THAT sense.

So, which definition of "wrong" were you using?

Gonna have to go with Blitz on this one.

Yes its frustrating to see people take PLUR out of glowsticking and hold battles. Noone here wants to have some asshole give bad vibes by trying to show someone up. Its an absolute abonimation in any situation. Problem is, it creates a whole new culture. We shouldn't bash and hate on other cultures, or we're guilty of taking away PLUR as well. We may not like it, or approve of it. But do we bash on and disrespect football competitions and bboying as well? If so, that is nowhere near what our culture is trying to promote. Peace and Unity, no matter how much of an asshole the other guy is. It would be sickeneing to see a new culture based on glowstick battling, but we should treat it as a something completely different from the rave scene like any competitive art.

When the battling is done within the confines of our culture, and in the spirit of raving we should act. We should lead by example, not by attacking and disrespecting. Our most powerful tool is discussion. We can try to convince them that what thier doing is not within the spirit of plur, but if they still belive it is, we should let them be and find out why we think its not good for the scene.

But that's the trick see... I hate the idea of battling. I AGREE with gsc's values (why else would I still be here and have PLUR in my profile... ;))

However, I have a serious problem with people being unopen to other people's beliefs. Just because what YOU believe conflicts with what THEY believe, that does not make you right and moral.

When other peoples beliefs have a proven track record of destroying things for the scene they are involved in. I choose not to support those ideas as even a possibility of being a good idea. Nor do i support the individuals who support those ideas. They may not see where things will go wrong but I've seen it go wrong too many times already. Always the same pattern of events.

Never said the words "right" or "moral" in my post. So if you wish to continue this back and forth only reference to things I've actually said, and I'm about to you give you a lot.

Dont read what I'm saying as GSC telling you. You can read it as CLERIC telling you. What i write is my OPINION which i am more then allowed to have.

And since you were the first person who decided to use the word Elitist, lets look that up.

The term "elitism" or the title "elitist" can be used resentfully [1] by a person who is not a member of an elite, or is a member but resents the elite position or uses it in a condescending or cynical manner in order to ridicule or criticize practices which discriminate on the basis of ability or attributes. Often, such as in politics, it is used to describe persons as out of touch with the common people. The implication is that the "elitist" person or group thinks they are better than everyone else, and therefore put themselves before others. It could be seen as a synonym for snob.

I think thats the part you were aiming to say thats how GSC is viewed by some. Well shit...then people are wrong. We dont think we are better then everyone. It might seem that way because alot of people who are skilled do gravitate to this site, so all they see are people with skill. Another example could be that others have said "i'm not good enough to post or i'll post when i get better" to which they are promptly corrected on the fact IT IS NOT HOW GOOD YOU ARE.

Now for shits and giggles lets look up something else.

Characteristics of the "elite"

* Rigorous study of, or great accomplishment within, a particular field.

* A long track record of competence in a demanding field

* An extensive history of dedication and effort in service to a specific discipline (e.g., medicine or law)

* A high degree of accomplishment, training or wisdom within a given field

Can GSC be concidered Elite? no because alot of members dont have an extensive history here.

Not everyone has a high degree of training. Not everyone studied the history of battling and crews and how it destroyed scenes.

Can a individual meet all those criteria? SURE. I know i fuckin do. Would i ever concider myself ELITE. NO. Thats why this community thrives. Because we do not look at ourselves that way. So you can fwd this to all the people who told you we are elitists , cause obviously you know people who have said this.

The fact we dont want to support something we have seen destroy the fun and PLUR (your favorite signature in the world) that people experience at a party does not make us elitists or tyrants. Excuse me for not having the greatest things to say about those people that want to do that or will support those ideas to float around on their site(which is a direct finger point at admins on a site NOT the users).

Guest Blitz
Gonna have to go with Blitz on this one.

Yes its frustrating to see people take PLUR out of glowsticking and hold battles. Noone here wants to have some asshole give bad vibes by trying to show someone up. Its an absolute abonimation in any situation. Problem is, it creates a whole new culture. We shouldn't bash and hate on other cultures, or we're guilty of taking away PLUR as well. We may not like it, or approve of it. But do we bash on and disrespect football competitions and bboying as well? If so, that is nowhere near what our culture is trying to promote. Peace and Unity, no matter how much of an asshole the other guy is. It would be sickeneing to see a new culture based on glowstick battling, but we should treat it as a something completely different from the rave scene like any competitive art.

When the battling is done within the confines of our culture, and in the spirit of raving we should act. We should lead by example, not by attacking and disrespecting. Our most powerful tool is discussion. We can try to convince them that what thier doing is not within the spirit of plur, but if they still belive it is, we should let them be and find out why we think its not good for the scene.

YES. That is the point I was trying to make (obviously failing... but that's ok. I'm no writer)

I believe battling is wrong (harmful to the gsc community and what I believe). Under no circumstance would I participate in a battle or support anyone else battling. I agree with the majority of the rules that have been labeled "gsc's culture"... including our stance against battling, glowsticking in high school, and spinning for money.

That being said, I also believe it is wrong (in the morally unjust sense of the word) to bash OTHER people (those not associated with gsc) for going against these rules. As I said to knivez, "GSC's culture and values are not (and will never be) the same as the rest of the glowsticking community." I am of the opinion that we should STOP worrying about what other people are doing.

The fact that they hold different morals DOES NOT give us the right to attack them.

The fact that they hold different morals DOES NOT give us the right to attack them.
Please reference those attacks, and direct it towards them not Gs.c