DjSHAY

A-TOWN STRINGERS, Joe, and ENERGY THURSDAYS

28 posts in this topic

I held out on saying something on this because aside from what everyone has already said... I only have my own personal experience to add from when promotors tried holding glowsticking contents here in the South Florida area a few years back.

Those that know me already know my feelings on battling and having glowsticking competitions. performing on a stage for club, and similar circumstances, I don't like them, at all. I think that glowsticking should be about expressing yourself and adding to the music as well as just for fun. These things all tend to eather directly or indirectly imply that someone's particular style of interpretation of this artform is "better" then everyone elses by eather putting them up on a literal pedistal (as in the cast of performing on a stage for a club and getting paid to do it) or implying it (the way that there must be a "winner" and a "looser" in battles and competitions).

My opinions aren't the reason for this post (for the most part). I remember a few years ago when in the South Florida club/rave scene people were holding competitions. I never went to any of those events that held them, but if you glowsticked down here at the time you might have noticed a different attitude. People tended to be more...elitist. They were looking for people to one up. I mention this because before this happened, while you had the occasional jackass that was like that, it didn't happen as much. Then the general attitude shifted towards trying to prove that "you were the best". It was this same reason that I stopped going to clubs for a few years. Because that attitude that I kept feeling from other people no longer made it fun.

I remember one particular instance when I took a now ex of mine to a club to show her why I glowstick/string. It wasn't a night that there were alot of people (RITM was doing a show in another club that same night but it was 21+ and she wasn't 21). I started glowsticking and so did she. I noticed that a few other people were doing the same thing around us and occasionally I would stop to look at them. They would do their thing for a bit and let me do mine. At the time I thought that we were having a spontanious session because no move was made on their end, and when they looked as me as if asking if it was cool, I merely nodded and smiled (again, none aggressive). When it was done, I was impressed with what they were able to do and went to give them a handshake and get their name, cause I am interested in knowing who I just sessioned with. They blew me off, gave me this nasty as hell look as if telling me to fuck off and died and went to join the other people who were dancing with them. I noticed a few others that wasn't in that little group glowsticking and tried to introduce myself with the same results. People essentially giving me that "go to hell and die" attitude. As more of those nights with glowsticking competitions appeared, I noticed the same general mood shift towards that one which I had initially experienced.

Anyways, my point is this. While it might seem to you that you are just doing this to have fun, there are others that are taking this as excactly what it is. A competition that they MUST win, eather for the prize or for their own props and knowing "they are the best". And trust me, when the ego tends to get that heavily involved, things tend to go down hill. Heads clash, people make things more serious then what it should be. Crews eventually start to form and guess what happens after that. What originally started out as a few nights with competitions has now gotten into the heads of those observing the competition that glowsticking isn't about just having fun and expressing yourself, but about proving that "you are the best" and getting those props. It turns it into a bastardized parody of what it should be and you have people that have seen too many movies like "You Got Served" trying to bring that same attitude to what can constitute as a rave/EDM scene in your area.

truly that sucks, that "go to hell" attitude .. i havent any of those yet ..maybe i havent string long enough, or i havent frequent clubs as often .. but truly i can see where that can lead to, so far the people i met are all smiles n handshakes ..

Over the years I've continued to string. It's been great. I've stayed away from all communities, all of them. Never got into festivals and stopped clubbing all together. All in all y'all taught me the most valuable lesson of all. No matter what you do. Someone will dislike it. A few of our friends lost their battle with cancer, our group has been the same. Needless to say I still see some of them from time to time. We don't do anything. Just hi and bye, hope the pain gets better. Joe, probably will never touch a set of strings again. His best friend died. All we have left are the years of pictures everyone took when they were hanging out. Energy has been dead for years, it's a strip club now. I still love stringing, even if it's just me, the strings and the music.