Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MadRaverRai

How to Record Dj Mixes Using an external Mixer

13 posts in this topic

Here's what I'm using:

2 Cdj 800 Mk2s

1 Allen and Heath Xone 92 Mixer

1 macbook pro 2.2, 2 gigs of RAM, running windows XP

1 Torq Connectiv USB Sound canrd to connect my decks and mymixer to my PC

Virtual DJ Software as a interface

How do I record with this? If I record using Virtual DJ I can hear the headphones as well as the main on the recording. I've tried several ways to try to get this right.

I also have a presonus Firebox also available with Cubase.

Sound forge - just adjust ur audio settings and make sure that your soundcard is selected as primary sound card check ur ins and outs get level and then record

go RCA (red and white) to right from mixer mains or booth into the soundcard inputs then in sound forgee or cubse hit record (note in cubase you will need to make a new Audio track and select input to input 1-2 on ur torq

an alternate way if you are useing the torg is to get ur fire box and either get some 1/4inch to Rca jacks or 2 1/4 cabels that go direct from ur mixer to sound card get even levels on both input 1-2 then same deal create new audio track and record

[as long as there is sound comeing out of ur mixers masters what ever you plug the secondary master or booth what ever you plug from the out will be recorded]

NOTE you will get abit of lagg so if you got space obv got the ram adjust ur buffer size to reduce lag it will only be in ms either way but thats sorta critical if you are gonna scratch

allso another good hint give urself about 10 DB head room it is better recording a slightly now signal becaue it can be normalised to a normal or reasonable level of volume as opposed to hitting zero then some time in mix finding out that a certain song is too loud it clips you get disstortion and in the end you are not a happy chappy becuse you either have to start from begining aggain or try best to fix audio with WAV draw and trust me it can take ages

Sound forge - just adjust ur audio settings and make sure that your soundcard is selected as primary sound card check ur ins and outs get level and then record

go RCA (red and white) to right from mixer mains or booth into the soundcard inputs then in sound forgee or cubse hit record (note in cubase you will need to make a new Audio track and select input to input 1-2 on ur torq

an alternate way if you are useing the torg is to get ur fire box and either get some 1/4inch to Rca jacks or 2 1/4 cabels that go direct from ur mixer to sound card get even levels on both input 1-2 then same deal create new audio track and record

[as long as there is sound comeing out of ur mixers masters what ever you plug the secondary master or booth what ever you plug from the out will be recorded]

NOTE you will get abit of lagg so if you got space obv got the ram adjust ur buffer size to reduce lag it will only be in ms either way but thats sorta critical if you are gonna scratch

allso another good hint give urself about 10 DB head room it is better recording a slightly now signal becaue it can be normalised to a normal or reasonable level of volume as opposed to hitting zero then some time in mix finding out that a certain song is too loud it clips you get disstortion and in the end you are not a happy chappy becuse you either have to start from begining aggain or try best to fix audio with WAV draw and trust me it can take ages

I'ts tough because I use timcoded CDs and I also use softawre plus a USB sound card(Connectiv).

I did figure out a way to record though which is the record output of my xone 92 mixer into my line in jack of macbook pro. However, the quality of the sound isn't as great. Is this due to the higher than 10db setting you talked about?

I'm gonna try it again as soon as I get home.

I recorded this morning and the mixing was siKKkk, the tracks were siKKkkK but like I said, my mixer sounds a lot better than the recording. Quality was degraded by a lot.

Yeah, lower the input levels on the mac book. You can change the levels at which it records in XP. Also, balancing the master level on the mixer right on green and red (pioneer but yours is a different mixer) will help clear out the fuzzy blown speaker effect when recording. The biggest thing though will be the level at which its recorded on input in to your laptop.

An alternative would be to buy one of these for about sub 50 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008IHO...p_cp_ob_title_0

and record from the your mixers rec out, to the minidisk.

this is slightly off topic, but may i ask when & HOW u guys started learning to dj/mix?

cuz im kinda interested in getting into that... 'scene'... =p

Yeah, lower the input levels on the mac book. You can change the levels at which it records in XP. Also, balancing the master level on the mixer right on green and red (pioneer but yours is a different mixer) will help clear out the fuzzy blown speaker effect when recording. The biggest thing though will be the level at which its recorded on input in to your laptop.

An alternative would be to buy one of these for about sub 50 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008IHO...p_cp_ob_title_0

and record from the your mixers rec out, to the minidisk.

Would using a mini disk player to record then transfer to my computer be a higher quality recording? I'm looking for high quality.

By input level that would be the line in volume right? I use Audacity to record and I use the mic/input jack on my macbook pro.

I know about gain levels as well. thanks for trying to clear that up though. My Xone 92 goes red when the volume is too loud and also my software goes red.

I'm trying to get a definitive answer by today so I can record my mix for the PRE EDC meet as well as record my set for this gig as well as ones in the future.

SummerMadness-BK-proof.jpg

this is slightly off topic, but may i ask when & HOW u guys started learning to dj/mix?

cuz im kinda interested in getting into that... 'scene'... =p

Wow this is really off topic but if I'm gonna say something about this, I'm gonna play it straight and give you a good bit of info.

I've been listening to EDM(Electronic Dance Music) for a really long time. Just got into Djing about a year ago because of a friend, DJ MHB. I tried to incorporate Glowsticking with Djing as you can see here at 0:32.

Since I built up my supporters through Glowsticking worldwide for the past 5 years, becoming a rising local DJ in NYC was easier than for most since I promoted nightlife for about 2 years before ever DJing at a club. So where ever I spun I had a good following of a few hundred people or so.

The name of the game in DJing professionally is to promote yourself as well as your music. Be different, be unique. There are way too many DJs out there. Why should a nightlife company choose you? Also, you must...MUST produce your own music. That def gets you in faster than just playing at venues. You got the tracks, you got the skillz, and you bring in the crowds...do those 3 things and you can def make something out of it.

I just love doing it honestly, plus I promote Glowsticking.com hardcore at any event I'm at. I have GSC business cards, banners, Tshirts as well as MadRaverRai Tshirts which I give to hot chicks at parties for better crowd interaction.

But take it from someone who's achieving some type of results in a very tough industry. Aside from skills on the decks, you have to know how to promote yourself and be social. Meet as many important people as you can. Befriend them, never burn bridges as it's connections that will get you gigs in th end.

Here are some of the other gigs I've played at since my debut in Jan 08. Not too shabby I think. (=OP

april19th2008.jpg

MadRaverRaiandBreakfast.jpg

jonobirback4X6-1.jpg

Ok, back on topic. Must record, does getting a mini disk mean higher quality than using the line in jack on my Macbook Pro?

Would using a mini disk player to record then transfer to my computer be a higher quality recording? I'm looking for high quality.

Both the mini disk and the line in to your laptop can be of good quality. Personally I'd go Minidisk cause its almost impossible to go wrong. If a minidisk was a 10.0 on a scale of 10 the computer quality i'd say is about 8.0 Not too much of a difference if done right.

With the minidisk, its pretty easy to record high quality, but you have to later transfer stuff to your cpu so it is an extra step longer than doing it on your laptop but it is more CD worthy. The computer can record just almost as effective cause Ive done it but it took some messing around with the input levels set around 50 percent.

By input level that would be the line in volume right? I use Audacity to record and I use the mic/input jack on my macbook pro.

Yeah the input level would be the line in volume, but their might be a few other changes that need to be made in volume control panel.

http://www.aaevp.com/techniques/technique_evp10.htm

you better get me some gigs when i come to us lol

I'm not that big man. Just a local right now. Come back in a year maybe. Ha!

Thanks for the tips guys. I got a recording done and it sounds alright. My mixer definitely sounds better than this though. Going through the line in jack on a comp sucks. Almost makes me feel bad spendin $2000 of my sponsors money if my recordings will always come out like this. Well, almost, but not really cause the mixer is fuckin awesome.

i have no idea how using torq or any of that, i only know how using the mixer and cdjs. sorry rai.

but...your fuckin lucky.

id do anythin to get a xone 92

ive used it a few times ahhh i love it.

im looking into gettin the xone 32

much more my price range

and just an idea...if your lookin for a recording program i recomend Cool Edit Pro.

really good program.

I can record now. Thankz guys. And Italojoe the Xone 92 is SikKKKkKKk. I love her.

master volume out

get a y cable (RCA cable with headphone jack)

connect it to the line in

there you go

not the best way to record but easy to do

but thats another way you could prob record lol

and dude where the fuck did you get the money for that mixer lol

those things are like 2500 here in canada

use the tape port or recording port/booth port/master 2 port in the back of ure mixer where u plug ure tables in. plug the male minijack into your mic port and then u can record.

use this wire stereo-rca-jack.png

rca to male minijack