Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JunO

Lomography

13 posts in this topic

anyone heard of it? i heard of it a few years back, and just bought one today .. getting started on this

www.lomography.com

wow i just read through the "about" section of the site and this seems awesome lol.. i'm a little confused as to how it doesnt just fall into the category of "photography" but still - read the rules and it totally gets you in to it..

..if only i had a camera to carry around!

wow i just read through the "about" section of the site and this seems awesome lol.. i'm a little confused as to how it doesnt just fall into the category of "photography" but still - read the rules and it totally gets you in to it..

..if only i had a camera to carry around!

spazz, just go to B&H Photo. You can get a "Holga" camera for $20. It uses medium format, but you can get a 35mm adapter for it. It's one of those cameras that are not the most...well built. If you lose or break it, not a problem. It trains you how to look at light and composition because there's only two apertures and one shutter speed.

I personally think lomography is a subcategory of photography, but I'm sure there are those that will disagree with me. As for those "rules," I frankly think those are a marketing ploy to suck buyers in.

i just bought the starter kit .. will see where it leads me . for sure ill post some pics here

Might help if you provided a link or at least a more specific name other than "starter kit," since they have a bajillion items listed in an annoying manner.

The question is though, unless you have your own photolab, how are you going to develop the film? One of the parts they advertise was chemical swaps to get high contrast, oversaturation, etc. It requires crossing chemicals, which a one hour photo lab will NOT do, because you use C-41(color) film and they only have C-41 chemicals. That means you'll need to take it to a regular photolab where they develop all types. That is NOT cheap. It's an average of $10 per roll for developing and contact sheet, more if you want prints of everything.

i have no idea how im gonna develop the film, thats the problem, but it seems my friend back in asia has his pictures on the computer, and i highly doubt he has a lab

i suppose you could substitue photoshop for a real chem lab but it would only go so far - besides photoshop can get way to "cheesy" sometimes..

but please jun0, post up some pics, i'd love to see what its all about :D

i have no idea how im gonna develop the film, thats the problem, but it seems my friend back in asia has his pictures on the computer, and i highly doubt he has a lab

Probably regular development then photoshop.

Find a professional photo studio, the kind that takes portraits and ask them if they could develop some film for you.

This may help as well.

http://www.acecam.com/lsb3ndex.html

i suppose you could substitue photoshop for a real chem lab but it would only go so far - besides photoshop can get way to "cheesy" sometimes..

but please jun0, post up some pics, i'd love to see what its all about :D

It's an okay substitute at best because the temperature and chemical mixtures and timing for chemical development can dramatically alter the way it looks. Even moreso than photoshop.

i got the starter kit from lomography.com for 78usd including shipping, will see how it works when it gets here . i kinda have a thing for photography, but getting a nikon sLR is too much for me . will see how this toy works ..

a nikon slr (FM10) brand new is $250. It comes with a 35-50mm kit lens and works with just about all nikon lenses except for the newer FX series lenses. You just lose certain features like autofocus and digital metering. You can get it from B&H. They have used ones for cheaper I think as well.

alright i got my pictures develop, will get them back tommorow . gonna post em on here soon . i got 120 holga, im gonna get the fisheye at urban outfitters real soon, hopefully before pre edc meet AAAAAi_VZKQAAAAAAIdlsw.jpg