Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Onoe

Flow Wand

25 posts in this topic

http://www.flowtoys.com/pages.php?pageid=19

its a flow toy, its very a very odd form of dance. Watch the video, i cannot explain it in words.

Has anyone used the flow wand before?

Has anyone seen it before their eyes?

Are they allowed in most Massives?

And if this has been posted before, i am sorry. =/ I couldn't find a topic on it.

Ive seen someone use that once and my head nearly exploded watching it. Seriously it MESSED with us, lol

But thats the only time ive ever seen anyone use it.

If I ever have the free time/money to blow, I'd love to get one and start experimenting with it. Reminds me of doing tai chi as a kid, but more...melodic...?

I got the chance to meet Sean and Prisna at Firedrums bout a week+ ago, the couple that started Flowtoys. They're super chill.

The Flowwands are seriously COOL, having seen Prisna mess with a fire one for a little bit. I have video footage but it'll go with my huge Firedrums video when it's done.

Floaty goodness :]

I'm not sure if you'd be able to get it into parties though. It'd probably depend from promoter to promoter. Like how some allow strings and hulahoops and some don't.

I wanted to let you know a little about the flow wand. It is very similar to what a magicians cane would do on stage but this is made more for Flowing since the cane is very cumbersome. This is for learning to move your body with object manipulation since many people that do Poi or Glow sticking are very stiff and unable to learn to move there body out of the box they have been learning in. It forces you to become one with the object. I was able to meet Sean and Prisna at Flowtoys this past weekend and have a personal demonstration of the Flow-wand. I had never ever seen one so it was a shock when I saw how to move and manipulate it. There are many great videos on youtube that show various peoples Flow and recommend each one. They are worth every penny to purchase and recommend trying one on each hand (much harder then it sounds). I am currently trying to see if she will be selling the fire version soon.

^^Whaa?!

I hardly think our members are "stiff" while doing poi or glowsticking...have you ever seen a video of Aden or Syphonkiller? Even some of the members that are largely string manipulations move, and when they don't move it is because they know they don't have to. Why would you flail around and be all over the place if you didn't have to be? A lot of us practice in small spaces because unlike being in a drum circle you have very limitted space in clubs.

if i remember right lira has a flow wand and i remember kinda being amazed by it

Man, this got necro-threaded.

Right. my first and only (beginner's) flow-wand video:

My movement isn't good because I was in a cramped space, but you get the idea. I could make a more recent video, but alas, lack of camera.

Yaaqob, I think that you're right in the assessment of those stringers. They're not as stiff as the norm, per se, but they like staying in one spot. I think that's the stiffness of movement that Chace is talking about.

FYI Prisna's only making the fire flow-wands available in limited quantities so far. They were selling them at Firedrums 2009.

I love watching people do this, There is a person that goes to allot of the raves and clubs in MN and preforms with a flow wand.

just seeing it live is indescribable.

Wow Lira, that's some impressive control of the wand at slow speeds! I've been playing with mine for a bit, but I have yet to be able to really control the behind the back spins and change of directions as well as you do.

I tried attaching some glow bracelets to my wand to make it visible in the dark, but it loses it's levitation affect if you cant see the person and the wand in their entirety, so you actually do need light...making it less ideal for nighttime dance events.

Maybe I can get someone to record me and then I'll help add some male flow-wand action!

Wow Lira, that's some impressive control of the wand at slow speeds! I've been playing with mine for a bit, but I have yet to be able to really control the behind the back spins and change of directions as well as you do.

Thank you! I actually never work with it at faster speeds than that-- that's what gives me fine-tuned control. It's also harder to keep the illusion going at fast speeds. Just keep practicing what you feel works the best for you.

Personally, I don't bring it to parties, and it's decidedly a very, very lyrical form of dance for me. I also don't think of it in terms of moves at all-- it's straight from musical interpretation to body movement for me. (If you look closely, I'm wearing headphones in the vid. :P The track I was listening to was a very symphonic vocal ballad by the same artist.) But everyone interprets the flow-wand itself differently, and that's the beauty of it.

Finally finished uploading my flow-wand video. Thought I'd try something new with it..not sure if it worked =P

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Still have a lot of practice before I can flow properly but it's definitely fun to play with.

Hey all I always wanded a flow wand but they were out of my price range. I used to just play with a cheap dancing cane from a local magic shop untill I found these guys at a local show. The Lightning Wand is so awesome! Although shorter than the one in the video. Anyway I got mine from these guys for less than $50 and its awesome! Check it out for yourself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRpioZWpPrM&feature=player_profilepage

Happy Flowing!

Silhouynn- Long stringing techniques are very different than short string techniques. Try restringing your wand with only a couple inches extra line than your used too, then work your way up. I’m sure more people whom have mastered long string techniques will chime in, but in my experiences It was a totally different animal to "wrap" the thread around parts of my body while still maintaining fluidity and motion. Several of the wrap points I’ve used were my shoulders, hands, and on occasion neck. I only found that the neck worked by an accident while practicing. Good luck with your wand. The best advice is to just get out there and start playing and you will come up with some great stuff, just try to stay aware of your line and where you plan to wrap. - Jinx

To Lira

I admire your work, its very graceful. When do you plan to make a new video? Your right a levistick is just that a stick and can be dirt cheap or extremely expensive, whether made from a "stick" or dowel, solid or hollow lexan, bamboo, or metal with an offset of center hole and some string. They all vary in pro's and con's while in use, and have all been around for years. My first was made from a cheep dowel rod, I then moved to aluminum and then wanted something a little flashier so to speak so I found one that lights up. I like your levistick correct me if i’m wrong but the one your using in your video was a 2 light salza levistick? How do you like it? - Jinx

thanks for the kind words, jinx :) I agree with all you've said-- people don't realize you can just make them! they're not magical, it's what you do with them that is ;) I plan to try & experiment with making fire wands, and I'll probably go aluminum when the time comes. In the mean time, nothing beats a well-balanced old wooden dowel for starts! and it's easy to find cheap reflective or holographic tape, though you've got to be careful to wrap or tape it very evenly to keep the weight distributed right.

the second wand is a Salza 2-lighter, yes (and the first one is a standard fiberglass flow-toys levi). While Salza's has the most balanced light setup I've seen in levis-- the fully-lit Flowlight wand from Flowtoys not only is a bank-breaker, it just looks far, far too busy for my preferences-- it's an absolute pain to control. It's bulky, being both shorter, heavier, and much thicker than a standard levi, and only good for fairly slow movement-- even a well-controlled wide swing away from your body will cause it to sway. I strung it with nylon upholstery thread (it came with fishing wire, bleeeeergh) but I wouldn't even dare to try any long-string techniques with it. It's definitely fashion over function, kind of like spinning a giant halogen tube from an overhead light! If it were longer, I think I'd have a better time of it (though it'd be even heavier), but the width to length ratio is a headache.

I looked into the salza 2-lighter and I wasn't happy with it at all. When I felt one, it kinda reminded me of something that was repurposed. I was looking for style, I mean I've got alot to look up too if i’m going to make my flowing look as good as you guys. If your looking into something that still has the fashion aspect but handles better why don’t you try one of the lightning wands. The dimensions are 25 inches long and a half inch wide, the weight is around a quarter of a lb so fairly light compared to some of the metal wands i've felt. I'm interested to see what you could do with one. Maybe you write to them and do a video for them? What are some of your favorite long string techniques Lira?

thanks for the kind words, jinx :) I agree with all you've said-- people don't realize you can just make them! they're not magical, it's what you do with them that is ;) I plan to try & experiment with making fire wands, and I'll probably go aluminum when the time comes. In the mean time, nothing beats a well-balanced old wooden dowel for starts! and it's easy to find cheap reflective or holographic tape, though you've got to be careful to wrap or tape it very evenly to keep the weight distributed right.

the second wand is a Salza 2-lighter, yes (and the first one is a standard fiberglass flow-toys levi). While Salza's has the most balanced light setup I've seen in levis-- the fully-lit Flowlight wand from Flowtoys not only is a bank-breaker, it just looks far, far too busy for my preferences-- it's an absolute pain to control. It's bulky, being both shorter, heavier, and much thicker than a standard levi, and only good for fairly slow movement-- even a well-controlled wide swing away from your body will cause it to sway. I strung it with nylon upholstery thread (it came with fishing wire, bleeeeergh) but I wouldn't even dare to try any long-string techniques with it. It's definitely fashion over function, kind of like spinning a giant halogen tube from an overhead light! If it were longer, I think I'd have a better time of it (though it'd be even heavier), but the width to length ratio is a headache.

I looked into the salza 2-lighter and I wasn't happy with it at all. When I felt one, it kinda reminded me of something that was repurposed. I was looking for style, I mean I've got alot to look up too if i’m going to make my flowing look as good as you guys. If your looking into something that still has the fashion aspect but handles better why don’t you try one of the lightning wands. The dimensions are 25 inches long and a half inch wide, the weight is around a quarter of a lb so fairly light compared to some of the metal wands i've felt. I'm interested to see what you could do with one. Maybe you write to them and do a video for them? What are some of your favorite long string techniques Lira?

hey, Jinx-- now that I've been toying with doubles, I really wish I could get a pair of Lightning wands, consider me converted haha :) because they seem to be the lightest options for LED wands. my Salza is a pain in the ass on a short string-- forget long or doubles! I don't know, you think that writing to them could do any good?

My favorite long-string techniques are using my torso & shoulders as wrap points, and forearms-- forearms are a bit awkward-looking, though. Can't quite work legs into it either. I still have a long way to go in long-string stability! I'm experimenting/winging everything as I go, because I've never attended any workshops or sessioned with another flow artist in my life.