Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

melvenorc12

Inovastick v.2: Tutorial

133 posts in this topic

Wow this is amazing!

Thanks much for this

will be making them soon jeje

THUMBS UP! :D

im going to make me some of these, but i just had an idea, has anyone tried putting one led on each side of the glowstick, that would give it extra weight, and let you use two colors in one stick. depending on how many colors i can find and how making them goes i might do this. :)

I loved this tutorial so much that I made it into a PDF file. So if anyone can give me a place to host it I can post it here for archiving. If this thread every goes down you have your own copy on your HDD. Printer friendly to!

In an unbroken stick, how big is the glass exactly?

if the glass isn't too long, couldn't you have skipped the whole part of drilling a whole at the bottem? Couldn't you just have gone the the step where you cut the sides and drain the liquid + glass from there?

edit: and... if the glass is too big, can't you just do the step where you have to cut the side and just drain then crack the glass. (and finally empty?)

just wondering, anyone try this yet?

Yeah that's the original way most people used to do it. Use an already cracked stick, begin the cuts, and drain out the glass/liquid.

But there are problems with this.

1) any line you drew on the casing will be taken off by the glowstick juice (that stuff is crazy it even deteriorated my latex gloves once lol)

2) you'll spend a lot lot longer trying to remove all the glass from the bottom becuase there are some pieces that are small but not small enough, or pieces that are just stuck in the base

3) if you putt too much pressure on the stick while cutting it, the juice will spray out at you with high pressure in return. (i was hit in the eye when i first started modding >.>)

4) no matter how little pressure or whatever, it's going to be a big mess and you're going to get the liquid on your hands/workspace.

im going to make me some of these, but i just had an idea, has anyone tried putting one led on each side of the glowstick, that would give it extra weight, and let you use two colors in one stick. depending on how many colors i can find and how making them goes i might do this. :)

Yeah people use to do this including myself but with SMALLER LED lights, typically photons. If you use inovas it will take up so much space of the stick there will hardly be any light. Along with this there are two HUGE bumps where as with photons its much smaller (but still there and annoying).

It's a good idea though, creative thinking is what moves led stick modding forward =D.

What I really wish we had tutorials for are those LEDsticks with 3 LEDs soddered together with a switch on the top....

Anyone know where to get some of these Inovas in Canada?

I was thinking maybe Canadian Tire...

thanks for this i made mine! the cuts suck cause all i had was a kitchen knife and i melted the hole with a sauter lmao! but nothing some pakageing tape couldnt help lol

just like cyanide66 said to me that night "hey as long as it glows, right?"

Anyone know where to get some of these Inovas in Canada?

I was thinking maybe Canadian Tire...

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1253

not exactly in canada, but i believe that they will ship. keep in mind that these are just cheap knock offs, so while you get the light the quality of the material is significantly cheaper than that of a real inova.

ive played with both the knockoffs and the real thing and in terms of brightness they're prty comparable.

not exactly in canada, but i believe that they will ship. keep in mind that these are just cheap knock offs, so while you get the light the quality of the material is significantly cheaper than that of a real inova.

ive played with both the knockoffs and the real thing and in terms of brightness they're prty comparable.

Those are knock-off photons, not knock-off inovas XD

I wanted to stay away from ordering them online, but if there's no other way, I guess I'll have to :P

If i were to order them, i was thinking about getting them from amazon. There's a large selection of colours and such there.

http://www.amazon.com/Inova-BB-B-Microligh...144&sr=8-32

Question, I bought Inovas at Target and well, they don't stay on for more than about 3 minutes. Is there a way to have it so that they stay on and don't turn after being on for a certain number of minutes?

Thanks for the tutorial btw, it was awesome!

Has anyone used these for freehanding? I would assume the bulges and whatnot would make them awkward for handling...

Has anyone used these for freehanding? I would assume the bulges and whatnot would make them awkward for handling...

I would stay away from using these for freehand. Not really balanced.

Great tut :D definitely trying these when I can get to Frys or something. (Btw, they have the Inovas for $6.99 on the Frys site, and you can get it sent to the store for pickup for free.)

Also, these knockoffs that are from Dealextreme are pretty damn cheap, and free shipping too >.> Anyone ever try lights other than Inovas for this mod?

Great tut :D definitely trying these when I can get to Frys or something. (Btw, they have the Inovas for $6.99 on the Frys site, and you can get it sent to the store for pickup for free.)

Also, these knockoffs that are from Dealextreme are pretty damn cheap, and free shipping too >.> Anyone ever try lights other than Inovas for this mod?

Yeap, as long as they fit in the stick, they should work fine.

I made some with These and they work just the same. They were only 8 bucks for a pair, plus they sell them at all the shows in the seattle area :P

Hells yeah, just made these today and used them at homecoming! Strobe is fkking awesome :3

I hope u don't mean a HS homecoming dance....

that would be a No-no sir.

Wait how come? What'd I do wrong D:

Glowsticking in school

Reasons for GSc not wanting you to glowstick in highschool are simple. People are immature. You may think your classmates are mature at this point in your life but wait a few years after HS and your going to look back and realize how immature people really were.

You can explain what your doing to people till your face turns blue but they will just laugh with their friends and make fun of you. ESPECIALLY if your already an outcast. This art isnt going to make you cooler so the cool kids like you. They will if nothing else hate on your more because your an outcast taking attention away from them.

Following along with the immaturity thing, is the fact that then people want to think of a cool name for their group of friends *cough gag *crew *cough* ,because that's what you see all over MTV now a days.

Some live in small towns that teachers do have a strong influence over a persons future or are very judgmental on little things. You glowsticking is possibly making them think you are a druggy, people talk, rumors start, your only screwing over your future by making a public spectacle of the art.

There are no 100% guarantees any of these things will happen to you. But over the past 6 years i've seen these things happen over and over and over and over. The rules about this are set to avoid these negative things from happening.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is where the original post is found

You handled that beautifullyyy Jin.

<3