Sign in to follow this  
melvenorc12

Inovastick v.2: Tutorial

133 posts in this topic

inovastickv2.jpg

inovav2pictures003.jpg

Advantages:

• Has the potential to be balanced out if mojo is used.

• Has the potential to be the weight of regular chemical sticks

• Inova keychain is held in snug

• The invoa keychain itslef is very sturdy compared to imitation photons.

• Has two different light modes usable for glowsticking: solid light and strobe light.

• Uses an easy squeeze on, squeeze off switch.

• Very easy to replace batteries.

Disadvantages:

• The inova LED sticking out can get in the way of catches or other complex string manipulation moves.

• The lips can scratch you while tracing (it is suggested to buff the lips until their smooth if this is a problem)

• The mojo can be an annoyance because of its movement, depending on the type of mojo.

• The solid light on the inova shuts off after 5 minutes of use, which requires you to turn it back on.

What You Need:

• Two Inova LED light keychains.
  • An exacto knife, or any sharp razor.
  • Some type of strong adhesive (Goop is what I use.)
  • Two glowsticks (Not sure what kind of glowstick to use? Click here to find out.)
  • A drill of some sort that can cut through plastic.
  • A ruler.
  • Paper towel (optional).
  • A sharpie (optional).
  • A clamp (optional).
  • Some type of mojo (optional) (Don't know what mojo is? Click here to find out.)

inovav2pictures001.jpg

Draining the Stick:

First off, you need to drain the stick of the liquid and glass that is inside. If you are using a stick that is not yet cracked this process might be a little easier considering you no longer have to go through the process of cleaning out many tiny shards of glass inside the stick. Take your stick and turn it upside down so that the stump is facing up and the tip is facing towards the ground, this is so that when you drill the hole, the liquid and glass wont fly everywhere. Now, take your drill and start drilling out in the middle of the stump, going inside of the tube. Go VERY slowly and make sure you are not putting too much pressure on the drill, because once you drill through the layer of plastic, all that's left is a small pocket of air followed by liquid and glass that is bound to scatter if hit by a drill. After the hole is drilled, keep the stick with the stump facing up, and walk it to somewhere where you can dispose of the liquid and glass, I recommend flushing it. After you just pour out it out, hit the stick until all the glass is out, there is bound to be more if you broke the glass.

inovav2pictures005.jpg

Take your exacto knife and cut out any excess plastic that the drill missed around the hole. Now go to your sink and wash the stick out numerous times making sure its completely cleaned out; you might want to use a bit of soap.

inovav2pictures007.jpg

Now dry out the stick. I recommend shaking the water out, and blowing into it. It is very hard to fit towels all the way in, but if you can, go for it.

Resealing the Stump:

It is optional to do this step later after making the cuts, but you can do it now if that's what you'd like. Take the adhesive, or goop, and fill in the hole you created on the bottom of the stick in an attempt to emulate the plastic that was once there. You do not have to put in a very large amount, just enough to keep anything that would be inside the stick from flying out. Immediately after you fill in the tube with the adhesive, place it over a small plastic surface that you do not care about, and let it sit for a while. It might take a couple hours to a day in accord to how much glue you put in.

Making the Cuts:

Now you are finally going to do the cuts on the glowstick. However before you jump straight into cutting, it can be very helpful to use a sharpie to outline the cuts beforehand. The sharpie washes right off the stick, so don't worry about staining it. The cut will be approximately 44 millimeters long (up and down the stick), and 10.5 millimeters wide (across the stick). Mark the vertical lines that are 44 millimeters long and are 10.5 millimeters apart from each other, and do NOT mark the horizontal 10.5 millimeter long lines because they will not be cut. The two vertical lines should be completely parallel.

inovav2pictures008.jpg

You may want to put the stick in a clamp so it does not move around while cutting. ONLY cut the vertical lines at this point, do not cut ANY horizontal lines yet; just cut the two vertical lines 6.2 millimeters apart, if you cut the horizontal lines the whole mod will be ruined. While cutting make sure you go extremely slow, you may want to practice on another stick that you don't care about first.

inovav2pictures010.jpg

After you cut these two lines, you want to do the same thing on the direct opposite side of the stick. You may want to stick the knife in the already cut lines across to the other side to poke it and mark where you need to cut on the other side, but make sure you hit it accurately.

Once the cuts are made on both sides, your now going to want to cut horizontally in the middle of the area in between the two vertical lines that were cut.

inovav2pictures011.jpg

Now that you have created �"lips" which are used to hold the Inova in place, cut the top one down to about 11 millimeters, and the bottom one to about 16 millimeters.

inovav2pictures013.jpg

inovav2pictures012.jpg

Now choose which side you want to be the on/off switch side, and cut a small slit in the very middle that allows you to press the Inova on/off easily.

Picture

The Mojo Addition:

Now it is time to add the mojo which is completely optional. The mojo is used to balance out the stick more, make the stick feel more like the weight of a regular chemical stick (although different sticks have different weights), and to have a more solid light distribution throughout the stick. The amount of mojo you put into the stick depends on how you want it to be; how much heavier, how much more balanced, etc. There are many different types of mojos that you can use, but the most commonly used are 1)Wonder Water (Don't know where to get this? Click here), and 2) Any type of hair gel: different mojo's have different weights. Wonder water is melted first, then poured into the stick, and then left to "harden" although it never completely solidifies. Hair gel is just poured into the stick as itself. The wonder water will move if left on its side for a long amount of time during hot weather, so it is implied that you should keep the stick up right most of the time. If you use hair gel, you will most likely always have to keep the stick upright so that the gel doesn't get all over the Inova or ooze out of the stick. Don't worry about the mojo getting all over the place while stringing; the swing always forces the mojo to go outwards, so that it will never fly back toward the inova.

And now, you are finished. Enjoy =].

Finished Product: Here.

Now enjoy this demo video by FlowRate =D

Edited by melvenorc12

awesome bro... about time this is out for the public ;)

this should be pinned

this should be in our article system yo! =)

This is how an article should be written. Awesome!

although i question the claim that inovas sticks made this way is more durable than the photon sticks. especially if you used authentic photons.

although i question the claim that inovas sticks made this way is more durable than the photon sticks. especially if you used authentic photons.

Yeah your right I should change that. The durability is questionable with authentic photons, but that claim was towards imitation photons, which is definitely true.

very nice man

but how much of the stick is lit up?

it seems as though the inova is much longer than the imitation photons and the casing isnt clear

like the strobe function though =]

So I finally made a couple of these today. They are sooo sick. I haven't put any mojo in yet, but maybe I'll try that if I get bored.

sweet I found inova led's at the mcx on base Now I'm going to attempt to make a pair!

Dam that was very well written, I like how you cut a hole to drain Ive never done it like that. I always cut from the side first then drained it like that. Im going to have to try that on my next sticks. Big thumbs up man. :dope

Guest wuxanaXan
Dam that was very well written, I like how you cut a hole to drain Ive never done it like that. I always cut from the side first then drained it like that. Im going to have to try that on my next sticks. Big thumbs up man. :dope

same here

i always cut the hole on the top first to drain;

even then i dont get the shards out as thoroughly

-____-

i need to get some inova sticks;

i have some led's from brookstone

and the price is pretty steep; like 13 per led if you get the three pack that they have

also they seem to screw up real easily,

both the led's themselves and the sticks

-____-

laaame

but i uber-fix it so that they work well enough;

for stringing that is

where can we buy inovas besides online?

same here

i always cut the hole on the top first to drain;

even then i dont get the shards out as thoroughly

-____-

i need to get some inova sticks;

i have some led's from brookstone

and the price is pretty steep; like 13 per led if you get the three pack that they have

also they seem to screw up real easily,

both the led's themselves and the sticks

-____-

laaame

but i uber-fix it so that they work well enough;

for stringing that is

where can we buy inovas besides online?

Target, Fry's Electronics, and other places I can't think of.

Edited by melvenorc12

Target, Fry's Electronics, and other places I can't think of.

i checked out target and frys. No dice :X

Anyways,

- should i use power tools for this, would it be safe >.>

- what if i put glitter in instead of mojo, like blue glitter for a blue light, red for a red one, etc etc etc

(don't make fun of me >.> i just found a crap load from my moms old daycare)

- and how would you actually turn the light on when done, would i have to take the led out and turn it on every time i woulda wanna use it, or what ?

That sucks, I see them at every Target + Fry's I go to =/.

For power tools... I use a drill to drill out the bottom of the stick to drain the fluid and rid the tube of the glass shards. Other than that, I don't really see power tools making anything easier, except for maybe buffing the tip. If you want to use a power tool to make really clean cuts on your stick, just be VERY careful.

For glitter mojo. Is it some type of glue substance, or just straight up glitter? If it's some glue type substance, then it might work; however, I cannot give a straight answer to you because every glue varies. Really, the only way for you to tell for sure is trial and error. Just be weary that with glue, it might seem to work out really well for the first few days, but then may end up being horrible after let sitting for a while. An example is if the glue dries up and lets zero light pass through as apposed to when its more liquid-based.

To turn the lights on/off, you just squeeze the stick where the Inova is. There is no need to take out the Inova except for replacing the batteries. In one of the steps I told how you can cut a slit on the casing above the side of the stick that the inova on/off button is on so that you can press the stick down easier.

Good luck!

fry's should have it because I did work at fry's and seen their inventory count, even at other stores :P

next time, try their component's department. or try outpost.com for their online store.