Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlowRate

Funky Problem for you

12 posts in this topic

So this happened a couple months ago and I don't think we did anything to fix it, it just went away, but it happened again this morning and yesterday:

When I need vigorous acceleration (merging onto highway/having fun on the way home from school), my car (when this problem happens) will accelerate fine to about 3750 RPM (2JZ-GE btw) then around 4000 RPM it will simply stop accelerating and take forever to get from 4000-4500 then start back up, but weaker than it should. The first time it happened recently, I didn't really let the car warm up very long and I was going a bit uphill when it happened. But when it happened this morning, the car had plenty of time to warm up and was going slightly downhill (merging onto highway).

Any ideas about the problem? 1992 GS300 with 167,000 miles. Has been fixed pretty much as much as possible lately. The only things my inexperienced mind can think up are transmission slipping, but I'm not sure exactly what that entails, or "flooding" the engine with gasoline and not being able to burn it off correctly (WOT when this happens).

Thanks =)

Do you know which gear transition it happens in like 1-2 shift, 2-3 shift ect? Also would you be able to get the transmission code for me? I don't really think it would be a cylinder flooding but you might wanna pull your plugs and check them out. See what's going on in there and then move from there.

Its a 92. Is the check engine light? Its OBDI, AutoZone and Checker monkies will gladly check.

Possibilites if not ECU, TCU, or other electrical problems:

Dirty plugs

Plugged up catalyst(best test for this is go 75MPH and if its a pain to get into OD then its a cat.)

Happens 2nd gear I think, but not during a shift.

No lights besides wiper fluid, lol.

Didn't have said problem this morning.

I could probably find the tranny code.

Plugs are brand new. Just replaced them over the summer.

I think the catalyst sounds like a good diagnosis though, pretty sure I smelled something funny yesterday or the day before when it happened. I'll have my dad or neighbor check it out if they can.

There's another test for the cat other then the on I suggested above. Above is for serious cloggage Ill port a pic of what a 20 year old cat look like that I pulled off my Jeep.

The other test other than pulling it off. As soon as you start up the Lexus put you hand on the cat. If it vibrates a good amount. Buy a new one. If it doesnt Id pull the cat and check the honey combs for a defenite answer.

Slipping clutch? Need to replace the torque converter possibly? (not sure about the latter, since lexus builds their trannies different than Toyota)

how are the rest of your ignition components? Wires? Distributor cap/rotor? If goes past the distributor seal into the cap, it will cause a misfire and shudder. Won't happen consistently.... only under certain conditions. i like to call it being temperamental. My car loves to do it to me. Could be a lot of other things too. Don't over look your plugs either. Check them no matter how new they are.

Forgot to post a picture of a 20 year old clogged cat for you.

8f8126b6.jpg

This is when you either hollow it out or buy a new one.

20 year old exhaust system:

ddbc8e98.jpg

Huh. Yeah it doesn't seem to have too many problems unless I drive it hard without letting it warm up a little (which is always a bad idea anyways).

Checking 4 of the plugs is a really long job if you have the tools and expertise. No joke. the throttle body is on top of the engine and has to be completely removed. Some of the screws are almost impossible to reach. Which is why the 2JZ-GE in the Aristo sucks, I wish it had the GTE (for obvious reasons). Also have the drain the oil and everything. Ugh! Haha.

have no clue what you said about anything in here.

hope your car works!

I've got something similar happening with my car (2005 toyota camry), which I didn't get too long ago. The only difference is it happens when I slow my car down for a speed bump then try to accelerate once I'm past it, pretty much I just roll of a little bit in between the speed bumps. But once it does start to accelerate after I slowed it jerks every now and then.

change your plugs....if that doesn't work, change your wires, if not that, than your coil pack.....sounds like a spark issue