Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AquaManThane

Stringing With Knifes

83 posts in this topic

why are people giving worst ideas than what he has already done, this is not the circus gentleman, we should stick to glowsticking, or fire poi at the max, why start tring to do something dangerous, dont you understand that we are not looking for a way to atract suicides or just adrenaline junkies, i'm sorry but i disagree un just talking about the subject, they should close this thread, when you hit with a glowstick it hurts and laugh may come, you cut yourself its not fun and it's very dangerous to anypart that knife hits, fire is also dangerous and also recommended to experienced stringers!! unless were jackass and i dont think that is what gsc is trying to do!

O.O" what!?!

Why would you do that?

This is totally a dumb idea.......

lol i tried it it was actually fun haha :P gotta live up to the name XD haha :P i like it haha

good job on the try man :P

I don't really understand all the criticism about this being dangerous. Fire poi is dangerous, and that is a highly respected form of art around here. While this is not something that anyone would recommend, if you have the confidence in your abilities, why not? People juggle chainsaws and swallow swords and their audience applauds their skills and their bravery. This is no different--it goes without saying that this isn't exactly smart, but appreciate it for what it is and don't criticize him just because he's from another website or is doing something that you would never do.

well like i believe somebody said earlier, glowsticking isn't a circus act. it isn't bout wowing a crowd through risky stunts. just don't group it with glowsticking, since that isn't what glowsticking is about.

on a side note, i don't believe people appreciate fire poi for its riskiness. it's more because of the visual appeal that the fire creates that people like. i've never done fire poi b4 (though i would like to) but from what i have gathered, with all the proper gear and precautions, fire poi doesn't seem that dangerous compared to swinging around knives on strings. at least with fire poi, you get something more visually appealing than regular poi.

i personally hate watching people doing something risky just to entertain the crowd cause i fear for their safety and cause i don't think it's worth risking your life just to get a crowd's approval. but if u really enjoy it regardless of what people think, then keep doin it. just don't kill yourself XD

also, i think the judgmental gxg comments are very unnecessary.

well like i believe somebody said earlier, glowsticking isn't a circus act. it isn't bout wowing a crowd through risky stunts. just don't group it with glowsticking, since that isn't what glowsticking is about.

on a side note, i don't believe people appreciate fire poi for its riskiness. it's more because of the visual appeal that the fire creates that people like. i've never done fire poi b4 (though i would like to) but from what i have gathered, with all the proper gear and precautions, fire poi doesn't seem that dangerous compared to swinging around knives on strings. at least with fire poi, you get something more visually appealing than regular poi.

i personally hate watching people doing something risky just to entertain the crowd cause i fear for their safety and cause i don't think it's worth risking your life just to get a crowd's approval. but if u really enjoy it regardless of what people think, then keep doin it. just don't kill yourself XD

i second that!!

I don't really understand all the criticism about this being dangerous. Fire poi is dangerous, and that is a highly respected form of art around here. While this is not something that anyone would recommend, if you have the confidence in your abilities, why not? People juggle chainsaws and swallow swords and their audience applauds their skills and their bravery. This is no different--it goes without saying that this isn't exactly smart, but appreciate it for what it is and don't criticize him just because he's from another website or is doing something that you would never do.

When was the last time there was the possibility of bleeding to death when getting hit with firepoi? Chainsaw juggling is entirely different because you dont start off with a chainsaw, you become very experienced with juggling before you move to chainsaws (if ever). Swallowing swords takes the swords internally, so it's not really a comparison with the knives.

The fact of the matter is that what he did was very dangerous and a risky endeavor. For one, he should have had at least one person ready and on call in case something happened, not in the same room though. If something had happened, we would have likely been watching the video of his death, rather than of his stringing with knives.

Oh and for the record, I would do something like that.

stringing with kitchen knives is still a dumb idea

besides, I'm just tired of these trolls...especially for 3 straight days of a gxg member coming on gs.c just to get removed...

When was the last time there was the possibility of bleeding to death when getting hit with firepoi? Chainsaw juggling is entirely different because you dont start off with a chainsaw, you become very experienced with juggling before you move to chainsaws (if ever). Swallowing swords takes the swords internally, so it's not really a comparison with the knives.

The fact of the matter is that what he did was very dangerous and a risky endeavor. For one, he should have had at least one person ready and on call in case something happened, not in the same room though. If something had happened, we would have likely been watching the video of his death, rather than of his stringing with knives.

Oh and for the record, I would do something like that.

Well while you won't bleed to death if struck by fire poi, there's definitely a risk of other serious injury. And like you mentioned with juggling, I'm sure he didn't start off with knives--likely glowsticks or poi. I think the point that it was very risky has been well established, and it's pretty evident that it wasn't carried out in the safest way possible. The point of the other examples was just to show how despite the inherent risks, it's still necessary to at least appreciate the effort that someone put into such a video BEFORE jumping to condescending remarks about their lack of judgment. There are definitely things that he could/should have done in order to make this a safer endeavor, but whenever someone toys with a new concept (especially a dangerous one) it takes trial and error and a series of refinements to reduce the risk involved as much as possible.

And before this discussion goes any further, I want to make it clear that this isn't a personal argument with you, I just didn't think that the general reception of this video was fair to it's creator.

It's very true that glowsticking is not about wowing a crowd, but when you replace the sticks with knives it becomes something very different. Fire poi is frequently performed on stages for crowds, and personally I DO appreciate the danger in spinning a fireball behind their back. While I definitely agree that swinging knives around for the soul purpose of entertaining others wouldn't really be worth it, I would imagine that the person doing so gains satisfaction and entertainment in their own right, much like those that perform fire poi in front of crowds. While the ideals that we uphold about refraining from swinging glowsticks for popularity don't go out the window when the objects on the ends of the strings get changed out, different performances will inevitably be more properly suited for different contexts.

Well while you won't bleed to death if struck by fire poi, there's definitely a risk of other serious injury. And like you mentioned with juggling, I'm sure he didn't start off with knives--likely glowsticks or poi. I think the point that it was very risky has been well established, and it's pretty evident that it wasn't carried out in the safest way possible. The point of the other examples was just to show how despite the inherent risks, it's still necessary to at least appreciate the effort that someone put into such a video BEFORE jumping to condescending remarks about their lack of judgment. There are definitely things that he could/should have done in order to make this a safer endeavor, but whenever someone toys with a new concept (especially a dangerous one) it takes trial and error and a series of refinements to reduce the risk involved as much as possible.

And before this discussion goes any further, I want to make it clear that this isn't a personal argument with you, I just didn't think that the general reception of this video was fair to it's creator.

the video speaks for itself, its a unique video, although the first thing that comes to mind is worst case scenario, so at least dont back up the continuance of this hobby of getting to that xtreme, like jstudd said, there is no visual art in it, fire you can see, sparks you can see glowsticks of course, leds yeah, so why do that, if your showing off that's pretty much unnecesary!!

but the point is this new concept is not going the way that this page normally does, its a misleading video, yeah note the guy has skillz and was trying to show some of it by not getting cut, but this video can milslead others in the true concept and culture of raving!!!

the video speaks for itself, its a unique video, although the first thing that comes to mind is worst case scenario, so at least dont back up the continuance of this hobby of getting to that xtreme, like jstudd said, there is no visual art in it, fire you can see, sparks you can see glowsticks of course, leds yeah, so why do that, if your showing off that's pretty much unnecesary!!

but the point is this new concept is not going the way that this page normally does, its a misleading video, yeah note the guy has skillz and was trying to show some of it by not getting cut, but this video can milslead others in the true concept and culture of raving!!!

I definitely your point if you mean "misleading" in the sense that there isn't really anywhere to go with such an application that doesn't produce much of a visual effect. But like you said, it is indeed an impressive demonstration.

I definitely your point if you mean "misleading" in the sense that there isn't really anywhere to go with such an application that doesn't produce much of a visual effect. But like you said, it is indeed an impressive demonstration.

I agree with it being misleading in that it's not necessarily tied into glowsticking's form of art which is a visual art, whereas this video is more of a performance art thing, much akin to a martial arts competition.

Not only that but the application actually used in martial arts. Physically, it's closer to the "rope dart." But the way he used it is closer to a chain whip.

Rope dart

Chain whip #1 From the early 90s, Chinese martial arts comp

Chain whip #2

I'm with you 100%. Aside from the moves borrowed from poi and glowsticking, this resembles the above disciplines of martial arts more than anything.

Please stop being so elitist people. I have felt that vibe from GS.C. from the start, truth be told. While I see how the fact he was wearing a competitors shirt could be considered rude, just let it be. It's been mentioned.

I have a feeling people are letting things of that nature skew their view of the video (which I haven't seen yet, btw). This is similar to agreeing with a a quote when told it was said by Ghandi, or rejecting the same quote when attributed to Stalin.

I have a feeling that if Cleric or someone else posted something like this, he would get mad props for his willingness to try something different, dangerous etc., and not all the ridicule that this guy has received.

My $0.02.

Oh, and speaking of Cleric, well presented, sir. I like the way you brought up both sides, but left things open to debate rather than just saying "SEE!! I found proof, he's a troll!" like a lot of people might have done.

After seeing the video, I'm now sure most people would give the guy mass props had he been an established member here.

And yes, it's dangerous, yes, it's stupid, he knows that, and as long as he doesn't do it around anyone else it really doesn't matter. If someone wants to play Russian roulette by himself in his own home, he has that right. Stop giving him shit for personal choices he's made, please.

While it's true that things like this might perpetuate the rumors that ravers are etards, it is what it is. And personally I think the stringer that's massively tweaked out on X gives a much worse rep to the culture than this guy.

Neck wrap.

Lmao. Quoted For Emphasis.

Nah, I think if i was to do something dangerous like that and present it I would get the same kinda "dude thats fuckin dumb response" . I'm not that cool to escape criticism.

Oh, and speaking of Cleric, well presented, sir. I like the way you brought up both sides, but left things open to debate rather than just saying "SEE!! I found proof, he's a troll!" like a lot of people might have done.

See here's the thing with me. I'm really forgiving and open to people saying they changed no matter how many times it gets thrown back in my face (IE djthatkidted).

But also if there is solid proof that is just screaming "ban me" then i do it. Everyone is eventually welcomed back if things change.

But this guy purposely wore his gxg sweater for the vid he knew he'd be posting on gsc. That to me is kinda fucked. The only reason I'm even humoring this whole convo is because im hoping some of what he said might be true and he comes over to gsc. He's not that far away from any of us, and he said he doesnt have anyone to really practice or chill with. So If he is insta banned by ME then I feel like i'm taking away more then just his access to a website.

Please stop being so elitist people. I have felt that vibe from GS.C. from the start, truth be told. While I see how the fact he was wearing a competitors shirt could be considered rude, just let it be. It's been mentioned.

I have a feeling that if Cleric or someone else posted something like this, he would get mad props for his willingness to try something different, dangerous etc., and not all the ridicule that this guy has received.

After seeing the video, I'm now sure most people would give the guy mass props had he been an established member here.

While I applaud your efforts, three things...

And yes, it's dangerous, yes, it's stupid, he knows that, and as long as he doesn't do it around anyone else it really doesn't matter. If someone wants to play Russian roulette by himself in his own home, he has that right. Stop giving him shit for personal choices he's made, please.

While it's true that things like this might perpetuate the rumors that ravers are etards, it is what it is. And personally I think the stringer that's massively tweaked out on X gives a much worse rep to the culture than this guy.

So basically you're saying we should NOT give a damn about his own personal safety as well as the influence he may inadvertently have on others, because we can assume that he knows the risks associated with it and is making a clear and rational decision?

Which is better, from a RATIONAL perspective, use of recreational drugs or a proclivity to risky/dangerous behavior?

I don't know about the others, but I'm primarily criticizing him for the way he went about doing it, rather than the act of doing it. The act itself, is a minor criticism. Why? Because if I could string, I'd do the same thing, except with a rope dart or a chain whip, which is very similar in design.

Nah, I think if i was to do something dangerous like that and present it I would get the same kinda "dude thats fuckin dumb response" . I'm not that cool to escape criticism.

Yep. I greatly respect Cleric as a person and as a stringer, but if he had done something like that, I would've had the same reaction.