Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joe Chitussi DJ

For The DJs

19 posts in this topic

Whats your current set?

And whats your views on programs like Serato and all that?

Right now my set...isnt even here yet lol i sent it out to get fixed

but i have Behringer DJX700 mixer

2 Pioneer CDJ 800mkII

and im looking to getting some Technic tables for some vinyl

and for serato....lets just say im still more oldschool and hate the idea of programs

lol i mean hell if i had the money i wouldnt evne have CDjs id only have vinyl but its to expensive to constantly be buying vinyls so i went with CDJ

but im more for the old times doing EVERYTHING yourself and havin all the music in an acutal hard copy not just on a computer.

i mean i know Serato is good since its less mess and fuss with CDs and what not but i love having a physical form of music not just on a computer

PLUS i hate the fact that serato has beat matching for you and what not, i think thats taking away from being a DJ and taking away the tallent it needs.

i would get serato but ive nvr used turntables before.... current i use dual cdj's from numark when using cd's... otherwise traktor when im just doing stuff on my pc ... but im hoping to get the torq..... or posssibly wait for the new vci 100

2 MK2s,2 Pioneer cdjs, pioneer djm 600, denon dn-hp1000, 2 elektro ortofon concordes

FUCKIN SICK SET

You can use serato with cd decks too as well. It doesnt have to be vinyl. Ive seen the bpm counters, that doesnt mean it will mix you a good set or even a decent one. No bpm machine can do what one can do with there own ear.

I have 2 technics 1200, pioneer 600, 2 cd decks and a bunch of other stuff.

You can use serato with cd decks too as well. It doesnt have to be vinyl. Ive seen the bpm counters, that doesnt mean it will mix you a good set or even a decent one. No bpm machine can do what one can do with there own ear.

I have 2 technics 1200, pioneer 600, 2 cd decks and a bunch of other stuff.

Couldn't have said it any better, Serato DOES NOT BEATMATCH for you. It has BPM Counters but they are never 100% accurate and not just that but like D86 mentioned PC can NEVER mix better for you even if you SYNC. Every DJ would love to have vinyl of the real record and turntables only but it's expensive to be purchasing Vinyl all the time. So it's down to high quality mp3's now when it comes to mixing. Serato only converts your mp3s to vinyl so you can spin that directly on your turntable as if it were the real thing. Ignore the program don't even look at it, just select your song and mix like it was real, that's what I do, I NEVER look at the screen unless i'm selecting a new song.

My Setup:

Serato Live!

2 Stanton Direct Drive Turntables

2 Pioneer CDJ-200

1 Behringer DJX 700 Mixer

1 JBL Monitor Speaker

Couldn't have said it any better, Serato DOES NOT BEATMATCH for you. It has BPM Counters but they are never 100% accurate and not just that but like D86 mentioned PC can NEVER mix better for you even if you SYNC. Every DJ would love to have vinyl of the real record and turntables only but it's expensive to be purchasing Vinyl all the time. So it's down to high quality mp3's now when it comes to mixing. Serato only converts your mp3s to vinyl so you can spin that directly on your turntable as if it were the real thing. Ignore the program don't even look at it, just select your song and mix like it was real, that's what I do, I NEVER look at the screen unless i'm selecting a new song.

My Setup:

Serato Live!

2 Stanton Direct Drive Turntables

2 Pioneer CDJ-200

1 Behringer DJX 700 Mixer

1 JBL Monitor Speaker

ive got the same mixer:P

and Serato does show the waveforms though which does make it much easier to beatmatch

2x Numark TTX turntables

2x Pioneer CDJ 800s

Pioneer DJM500 mixer

Adding in your own hardware and software is a pain in the ass. have to switch around connections in the middle of an event... not a good time. I've heard mixed reviews on overall quality on those sorts of apps as well. CDJs are the way to go.

two numark tt-200 direct drive tables(with station 500 and 505 cart)

behringer djx 700 mixer

soon to be updating to serato scratch live

Right now I've got mk5 1200's and a djm-600. I have it hooked up to my computer for torq (similar to serato).

I found torq really useful to teach myself beatmatching, but didn't like my attachment to the visible waveforms. I weened myself off by moving my computer so I couldn't see torq while I was actually mixing, I just walk over to my computer to select the next track.

I've got a buddy who works for pssl.com, so I'm saving up for some CDJ's (so I can fully remove the computer) and a new mixer this summer. My roommates and I are turning an extra bedroom in our house into a studio/dance floor. :)

Sorry if I'm going to sound dick headed right now. I'll try to refrain myself as much as I can. Having a more digital setup does make things like beat matching easier. But not any fuckin thing else. And it doesn't make it that much easier either. So please read on and be educated.

**Note**************************************************************************

I am not just talking out of my ass as I have spun at clubs before with my setup with great results. I'm not saying I'm a sick DJ but I got the job done. Here is a clip and the set of the night I spun with Jon O'Bir at Love Nightclub NYC. I'm spinning at Love again with Breakfast and Zack Roth tomorrow night.

You can use this to judge for yourselves if the equipment sounds faulty from the sound quality of the set. Also watch the people, they are enjoying themselves regardless of the equipment used.

MadRaverRai Live @ Love Nightclub 01-19-08

MadRaverRai - Live @ Love Nightclub 01-19-08

1)M6- Fragments

2)Thrillseekers - By your side(Mind One Remix)

3)Tom Colontonio - Suspect(Apogee Remix)

4)Leon boiler - Crazy People

5)Sander Van Dorn vs. Interstate - Remembering the Sun Goes Down(First State Mash Up)

6) Maor Levi - Shapes(Oliver Smith Remix)

7)Filo and Peri - Anthem(Marcelo Viera Remix)

8)Randy Katana - Another wave

9)Jose Amnesia - Louder(Jon O'Bir Remix)

10)Terry Ferminal - Walk Away(Terry Ferminal Remix)

11)Mike Foyle - Firefly(Mark Sherry Outburst Remix)

12)Markus Schulz -Cause you know(Nic Chagall Remix)

********************************************************************************

Serato nor DJ Software DO NOT beat match for you. A lot old schoolers think this way and I'm just like "WTH are you talking about".

DJ Programs do however have a BPM reader and while more accurate than BPM readers on most high end mixers today, it is still not 100%. Pressing the auto sync button on DJ software as well as a DJ controller will 99.9% of the time result in train wreck or at least a clap within the two bass lines.

DJ software also provide wave meters that are also present in some of the newer DJ equipment today. These wave meters are also not 100% accurate. You still have to listen to your incoming and sync up the two tracks manually. YOU CANNOT rely on simply using the wave meters to sync up your tracks you still have to use your ear and the jog wheel or pitch bend.

With that explained, hopefully I have educated some who are so closed minded to newer technology. It's 2000 fuckin 8. Seriously. Just learn how to use the new equipment or stick to what you have. No one is forcing you. Don't diss on other DJs because they are welcoming and using newer technology. The set skills needed to spin on analog or digital setups slightly differ. My suggestion is to try both and see what you like.

ITS NOT WHERE YOU SPIN, WHAT YOU SPIN WITH, BUT HOW YOU SPIN THAT MATTERS

This is my setup right now:

IMG_1903.jpg

1 Macbook Pro, 1 Torq Xponent DJ Controller, pair of Technic Headphones, 7 satellite speaker system with two sub woofers(KRK, Alesis, and Logitech Brands)

I uses Various software but I started with Virtual DJ and have more experience with that. I have also used Torq, Ableton, Traktor(somewhat). From my experience VDJ has never crashed on me while the others, except Ableton, have.

Advantages of this setup: I can do live remixes while I'm djing and really fuck with tracks in a way that would be almost impossible on manual equipment. I have more than 30 effects each deck and 4 effect knobs per Deck. Thats 4 effects going on at once with knobs and sliders if I choose to use them in that way. The possibilities are endless and I've only been DJing for a year so I'm still a noob actually.

I'm in the process of copin this DJM 500 and also two Pioneer CDJ Mk2s. Then my setup would be somewhat complete.

I learned to beat match on rack mount cd players and a behringer 3 channel mixer then moved onto my setup now. So I didn't jump on the technology wagon right away and actually learned how to DJ first.

Perfect Example of what can be done with newer technology if handled by a professional level DJ. Keep in mind this man spun on turntables first and is a veteran. As Djs, I'm sure you all have heard of him. And I'm also throwing an event with him and Above and Beyond in May. If you're in NYC its the joint to hit up.

Im gettin a new mixer on the weekend (Since my behringer broke and i dont see apoint in fixing it) so my new setup will be

2x CDJ 800mk2

1x Vestax VMC 004FX

1x Logitech Z2300 2.1 speakers

1x Circero desktop started out as a bad comp but now with all the upgrades ($200 sound card, 3 external 250gb hardrives 2 internal HD (1 40gb 1 100gb) upgrade to 1gb RAM.) Total price of upgrades about $550 NOTE i got good deals on parts...2 of the hardrives were gifts.

and then what i hope to get once i get enough money

1x Mac Pro

1x M-Audio Oxygen 8 midi controller (already have)

Reason 3

Cubase 4

FL Studio 7 (already have all 3)

another keyboard...no idea which one yet if i have hte money ill get a Access Virus if not prob just another M-Audio one or maybe a Roland Juno, or might get a MICROKorg

basically only new things im gettin is the mac and another keyboard

I have two Technic SL 1200 Turntables and a Pioneer DJM-400 mixer, which i love....

I'm thinking about getting Stanton's "Final Scratch" just another piece of digital equipment that lets you mess with digital songs from your computer.... it looks pretty sick