Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nix

Re-inventing the String

21 posts in this topic

For the past week i have been experimenting with a new type of glowstringing. (I say new but honestly i don't know if anyone has ever tried it before)

Basically i figured out my normal string length. then i doubled it and tied one stick stick in the middle of the doubled length and one string on the end. Afterwards i fixed the free end of my string to my fingers and started to mess around.

By holding the end glowstick in my hand (not the middle one) i found that i could string normally with no problems. it was like using a handle. but as i let go of the stick i was holding a whiplash effect happened that planted the stick firmly back into my hand. After hasseling with it for a few hours i got to where i could regularly catch the stick as it whipped around.

Now after messing with it for a few days i can do all sorts of tricks. Strange wraps, whiplashes, and others that i can't think of names for. I probably won't be taken seriously, especially since i don't have a video yet (my usb cable for my digicam is lost *sob*) but if anyone is interested in this new form of stringing i would love to discuss it and hear about what others are doing. In all honesty it looks kewl as hell but i'm just figuring what can be done with my new strings so i hope at least a few ppl will try it out as well and help me develope it.

Also any opinions about the concept or critisism would be appreciated

one more thing.... making the 2 sticks on each string different colors helps a lot.

Well, I have a question. Do you have a total of three sticks attached to one string * to give it a boa like appearence* or is it the one stick on one end of the stick and the second stick tied in the middle. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I wasn't able to picture the set up properly with the way you worded it (or perhaps it's cause I am at work and brain fried).

not dumb at all. its 2 stix on one string. one on the end and one in the middle.

in truth the whole idea was to appear as though i was stringing normally with handles. in the dark it would appear as though i let go of my handle and seemingly willed it back into my hand.its hard to get used to the momentum and where your hands need to be to catch the end stick and i haven't got it at all seemless yet but i think using this method could add a wealth of new "moves" and combinations to any glowstringer.

i have a peice of shite webcam hooked up that probably won't look good but i can at least show you what i've done with my string. will post a vid asap

dude.

if u put 1 more stick where u hold it...

it would be like astrojax with sticks o.o

immortalfate: kiiinda but not really, cuz the middle ball on the astrojax is free hanging and not attached.

cool idea man... practice and show me... sound really interesting :D

sounds interesting, and you phrased your post in a way guaranteed not to offend anyone... very nice. hope to see a video of some kind soon, but i'm willing to bet it does look trippy, because of simple physics.

WARNING!: The video you about to see is rediculously crappy!!!!

Note: I only used one string in this vid to simplify matters. I only show the basic function of the string in the video and only a couple times. I made it this morning as a way to show ppl what i'm talking about. I am currently using the "whiplash" in conjuction with wraps weaves and am currently working on a whiplash butterfly. until i get it all seemless i'm not going to put out a video other than this one. So if anyone is interested here's the vid but be prepared it sux, its short, and its just the beginning........

sounds interesting, and you phrased your post in a way guaranteed not to offend anyone... very nice. hope to see a video of some kind soon, but i'm willing to bet it does look trippy, because of simple physics.

yah... it is difficult to keep the mid-stick spinning as the end-stick comes around. but i've gotten fairly regular at keeping it all together. fluidity and continuity are the names of the game

Hmmmm...that's really interesting. I could see how it would all work too. B/c of the way that you are holding the sticks and strings, as you have said, it allows you to string regularly as if with handles (or as if you had tied two sticks to the same string if you hold it only by the string.). This allows you to keep the full range of the usual stringing moves. Since I don't string with handles, I don't know if it will allow you to keep the handle moves, but IMO it doesn't seem that way. Still, that whiplash makes for an interesting little trick to throw in the middle of a set. Really, I could see it being thrown in durin the middle of a buzzsaw when someone else is looking stright into it *from a safe distance of course.*

*raises hand* I have done this before, and it DOES look really good. I play around with different string/stick setups a lot of the time and this is one particular one that I took a liking to a while back. Dropped it since, but its still good stuff. Another few things to try:

a wrap between the sticks, then catch the out stick as it rebounds off your arm, leg whatever.

go into a neck trace (or other trace) and grab the outer stick as it comes around, effectively creating a loop with glowsticks on either end; then continue the trace, and you have two sticks tracing quite nicely in the same direction.

String manipulations of all kinds are a hoot with this setup; play with those as you will ;)

Spinning full circles of any variety (poi, etc.) creates a fun 'target' effect, and you can do a stall to reach out and grab the outer stick, or the same wrap catch mentioned earlier to return to your original position.

Have fun, keep experimenting!!!

agreed "safe distance" is required. in continuance the whiplash isn't the only possibility. by holding the string and doing a circular motion with ur hand you can start a spin with the sticks. also double whiplashes and certain things that can be done with catch and release of the middle stick. as i said i am just beginning with these strings and everyday i find something else i can do with them. I haven't got it yet but imagine a butterfly with two whiplashes going out on each side catching the end-stix and then going right back into a butterfly...... "butterfly with wings"? anyway my mind is slowly wrapping around the possibilities and i would love to see some other ppl trying it out and showing me up

*raises hand* I have done this before, and it DOES look really good. I play around with different string/stick setups a lot of the time and this is one particular one that I took a liking to a while back. Dropped it since, but its still good stuff. Another few things to try:

a wrap between the sticks, then catch the out stick as it rebounds off your arm, leg whatever.

go into a neck trace (or other trace) and grab the outer stick as it comes around, effectively creating a loop with glowsticks on either end; then continue the trace, and you have two sticks tracing quite nicely in the same direction.

String manipulations of all kinds are a hoot with this setup; play with those as you will ;)

Spinning full circles of any variety (poi, etc.) creates a fun 'target' effect, and you can do a stall to reach out and grab the outer stick, or the same wrap catch mentioned earlier to return to your original position.

Have fun, keep experimenting!!!

right on spider, thanx for the encouragement

you're most welcome. *smile*

im really happy someone finally did this =]. i was actually thinking about this for a while.

Update: Just thought i'd let evry1 know that i have gone back to regular strings & stix. The "whiplash" concept is solid but i'm thinking i need become more competent in normal glowstringing in general. Though i have many glwstrngr friends i just recently started glowstringing. I figure i should get used to my new playground b4 i start expanding it. Which means a longer wait for MY vid but that doesn't mean someone out there can't beat me to the punch. I would love to see this string setup used in the hands of an accomplished gser. Unfortunately i am not quite there.

If people are still interested in it and give me a day to brush up then I'll do some filming.

a good base in stringing is invaluable. I learned that about a month after starting when I tried to jump right into handles and colorswitches. *smile* Patience is a good thing. You're on your way, Nix.